PDA

View Full Version : HCFF report-NY Comic Con, October 15, 2011

WinespringBrother
10-15-2011, 11:30 PM
After a couple of signings at the NY Comic Con today, Brandon was kind enough to indulge my HCFF curiosity, though some of the questions will need follow up from the amazing Maria :D

1. Will we see more abut the Amayar/Time of Illusions prophecy-possibly in the encyclopedia.

2. How did Fain know that the Ruby Dagger was in the White Tower, since last he knew, it was in Falme, and now it is thousands of miles away (when he was in Emond's Field)-he has super detection ability for dagger, like warder bond, so can know direction and distance.

3. Why did Fain say he had to go to Caemlyn first, before the White Tower, though he actually went to the White Tower, then Caemlyn (as least as we see in the books)-MAFO.

4. Was Norla in the Kin and where did she get her paralis-net- RAFO.

5. Would an a'dam function in Far Madding - yes but the damane could not channel.

6. Would a circle be broken by entering Far Madding or a stedding - 75% chance of no. It would be like a well entering those locations (which would work).

7. What makes a body suitable for a transmigrated forsaken besides channeling ability - the dark one looks for certain things that are not available in just any body, and we will see an illustrated example of this in AMOL.

8. Does Elayne know who Rand's father is and that he killed her grandfather Laman-not confirmed that Janduin killed Laman.

9. Do Aviendha or Rand know that Laman was Elayne's grandfather (re the sword that Avi gave to Rand to discharge her toh)-Avi probably didn't know but Rand definitely did. ETA - these topics were to be included in possible prequels.

ETA: Laman is actually her great-uncle, not her grandfather (Thanks, Terez).

10. Did Mordeth go to the Finns-YES.

11. What would happen if a Tinker went into the Rhuidean glass-column ter'angreal-need to check if RJ ever answered what would happen if a non-aiel went into the ter'angreal. ETA: RJ stated in Glimmers of the Pattern/ebook version Q&A that a non-Aiel would not see anything, and nothing would happen to them.

12. Did Nynaeve realize that Suroth was a darkfriend from their meeting in Falme, and if so, why didn't she warn Rand after he got the invitation from her-possible that she didn't connect the dots from the note to the long ago meeting, possible brain freeze, MAFO.

13. Why didn't the Seanchan invade Ghealdan-MAFO. Brandon replied that it may be due to all the problems caused by Ituralde's raids, and possibly the issue with Galad's desertion as well.

Also, I was wearing my Theoryland shirt and someone actually asked to take a picture of the HCFF logo on the back of it :D

eta #13 that wasn't on the recording.

Isabel
10-16-2011, 02:08 AM
Really cool WSB :) I am happy you had fun:)

GonzoTheGreat
10-16-2011, 05:12 AM
10. Did Mordeth go to the Finns-YES.So Mat and Fain might share some memories? Cool.

Linda
10-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Laman can't be a grandfather, since he died without issue. That is why Barthanes, his cousin, became High Seat after Laman and his brothers were killed in the Aiel War (TOR QOTW).

So the question is 'wrong' in words even though its intent and the answer are right.

Zaela Sedai
10-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Nice WSB :D

I love the reactions from wearing our shirts. I got the same thing last year at the signing.

SauceyBlueConfetti
10-18-2011, 03:45 PM
7. What makes a body suitable for a transmigrated forsaken besides channeling ability - the dark one looks for certain things that are not available in just any body, and we will see an illustrated example of this in AMOL.

I think THIS is incredibly interesting and significant in regards to either of two things:

1. Another Forsaken will die (or has already) and be transmigrated in AMOL

2. Lanfear has some innate ability that we are unaware of at this point

Now I needs to re-read the Cyndane bits.
Nice job WSB

Southpaw2012
10-19-2011, 09:50 PM
yeah question 7 is flippin interesting.

Terez
10-20-2011, 06:40 AM
3. Why did Fain say he had to go to Caemlyn first, before the White Tower, though he actually went to the White Tower, then Caemlyn (as least as we see in the books)-MAFO.
This was made very clear in the books. He went there to spread news of the 'rebellion' in the Two Rivers, hoping to bring the wrath of Morgase down on them.

WinespringBrother
10-20-2011, 09:47 AM
This was made very clear in the books. He went there to spread news of the 'rebellion' in the Two Rivers, hoping to bring the wrath of Morgase down on them.

So, he sent a messenger from Whitebridge?

Fires of Heaven CHAPTER: 19 - Memories
"Rebellion, my Queen," he said in a flat tone, and all thought of anger and stares vanished. "Where?" "The Two Rivers, my Queen. Someone has raised the old banner of Manetheren, the Red Eagle. A messenger came from Whitebridge this morning."

Terez
10-20-2011, 10:23 AM
No. But that was his intent:

He studied the banner waving over the village, and the one not that far below him. A scarlet wolfhead on scarlet-bordered white, and a red eagle. Red for the blood the Two Rivers must shed to make Rand al'Thor howl. Manetheren. That's meant to be Manetheren's banner. Someone had told them of Manetheren, had they? What did these fools know of the glories of Manetheren? Manetheren. Yes. There was more than one way to scourge them. He laughed so hard he nearly fell out of the oak before he realized that he was not holding on with both hands, that one gripped his belt where a dagger should have hung. The laugh twisted into a snarl as he stared at that hand. The White Tower held what had been stolen from him. What was his by right as old as the Trolloc Wars.

He let himself drop to the ground, and scrambled onto his horse before looking at his companions. His hounds. The thirty or so Whitecloaks remaining no longer wore their white cloaks, of course. Rust spotted their dull plate-and-mail, and Bornhald would never have recognized those sullen, suspicious faces, dirty and unshaven. The humans watched Ordeith, distrustful yet afraid, not even glancing at the Myrddraal in their midst, its slug-pale, eyeless face as bleakly wooden as theirs. The Halfman feared Isam would find it; Isam had not at all been pleased when that raid on Taren Ferry let so many escape to carry away word of what was happening in the Two Rivers. Ordeith giggled at the thought of Isam discomforted. The man was a problem for another time, if he still lived.

"We ride for Tar Valon," he snapped. Hard riding, to beat Bornhald to the ferry. Manetheren's banner, raised again in the Two Rivers after all these centuries. How the Red Eagle had harried him, so long ago. "But Caemlyn first!" Scourge them and flay them! Let the Two Rivers pay first, and then Rand al'Thor, and then...

WinespringBrother
10-20-2011, 11:40 AM

My quote shows that Morgase learned of the rebellion from a messenger from Whitebridge. So saying he went there to meet Morgase to pass on news which clearly didn't happen(which by the Ways would have taken a couple of days at most, yet per the WOT Chronology it tooks weeks for Morgase to get this news) is unsubstantiated.

No. But that was his intent:

What would make Fain think that Morgase would Scourge the Two Rivers just because they raised the Red Eagle? That might be something a Forsaken with armies of Shadowspawn might do, but a legitimate, light-following Monarch would do something more reasonable, like send in soldiers to deal with rebels and use force as a last resort. Whatever scourging he was thinking of had nothing to do with Morgase.

So, there is no proof of this supposition that he was intending to go to Caemlyn to tattle, and no proof of his having spread the news to Caemlyn of the rebellion, rather that it seems that the news took a very long time to get there and that it arrived by normal channels.

When we do see him in Caemlyn later, he was taking over a darkfriend circle, so maybe that was his intention for visiting there. Would be interesting to find out for sure though.

Terez
10-20-2011, 11:58 AM
My quote shows that Morgase learned of the rebellion from a messenger from Whitebridge. So saying he went there to meet Morgase to pass on news which clearly didn't happen(which by the Ways would have taken a couple of days at most, yet per the WOT Chronology it tooks weeks for Morgase to get this news) is unsubstantiated.
It's substantiated because there was no other reason why the raising of Manetheren's banner would give him the idea to go to Caemlyn. Simple as that, whether or not he was the one to spread the news.

WinespringBrother
10-20-2011, 12:17 PM
It's substantiated because there was no other reason why the raising of Manetheren's banner would give him the idea to go to Caemlyn. Simple as that, whether or not he was the one to spread the news.

I didn't realize that such a simple question would lead to such a debate lol

Using Sherlockian logic (when all the other possibilities have been eliminated, etc.) without actually examining other possibilities does not substantiate your statement. I could see him trying to go to Caemlyn and chickening out at the last minute after figuring out that a Chosen that could have snapped him in two like a twig ruled there, but there is no proof even of that happening. Any kind of quote would have added clarity.

And his whole leading an army of Whitecloaks to scourge the Two Rivers was an epic fail. Not to mention that there is no proof he ever did anything or even gave further thought to the Two Rivers once he left.

eta: verbage, punctuation

GonzoTheGreat
10-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Well, with Fain there is the problem that "thought" is not exactly his strongest point.