PDA

View Full Version : music history??

psychomusician
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
ok, so i remember once hearing that some composer wrote an unfinished symphony that was a protest to censorship. the story went that the composer wrote all the parts ending at different times, and told the players to stand up and leave once their part ended, going down until it was just an oboe and the conductor, who then left. also, the elite of the city wouldnt come, so he went and got people off the street to come to his concert.

but heres the thing, i cant actually find this piece anywhere. i cant even find if it exists. has anyone ever heard of it? coz i wanted to use part of the music for an assignment

Terez
08-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I've never heard of it. Protest to censorship? I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone who had real problems with "censorship" other than the Russian composers who had trouble with the Soviet restrictions. But then, I'm not exactly an expert...I'm a music history major but I haven't taken the in-depth classes yet (just the general music history classes that all music majors take) except for 19th century.

Maybe Anaiya will know, or one of our history buffs or music lovers. It could be an urban legend.

psychomusician
08-06-2008, 11:08 PM
well damn

i guess i'll just use schubert's then

Terez
08-06-2008, 11:21 PM
It may well be that someone actually did this, but it seems more likely to have happened in the 20th century, and not involving one of the "major" composers.

But it's hard to go wrong with Schubert. I'm not a big fan of his symphonies though (I like his songs quite a bit more).

Marie Curie 7
08-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Sounds sort of like this Haydn symphony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._45_(Haydn))...though it wasn't really about censorship.

Symphony No. 45 in F-sharp minor, known as the "Farewell" Symphony (in German: Abschieds-Symphonie), was composed by Joseph Haydn in 1772.

It was written for Haydn's patron, Prince Nikolaus Esterházy, while he, Haydn and the court orchestra were at the Prince's summer palace in Eszterhaza. The stay there had been longer than expected, and most of the musicians had been forced to leave their wives back at home in Eisenstadt, so in the last movement of the symphony, Haydn subtly hinted to his patron that perhaps he might like to allow the musicians to return home: during the final adagio each musician stops playing, snuffs out the candle on his music stand, and leaves in turn, so that at the end, there are just two muted violins left (played by Haydn himself and the concertmaster, Alois Luigi Tomasini). Esterházy seems to have understood the message: the court returned to Eisenstadt the day following the performance.[1]

Terez
08-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Well, there you go. Haydn did have an odd sense of humor...but his symphonies make me yawn. :D

Sarevok
08-07-2008, 03:15 AM
ooooooooooooooooooohhh

Yup that exists... we played it!!!

just no idea what it was called...

Marie Curie 7
08-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Well, there you go. Haydn did have an odd sense of humor...but his symphonies make me yawn. :D

Yeah, I find Haydn's music pretty boring, too. But what was odd about his sense of humor (other than the weird story about the "farewell symphony")? Just curious...I don't really know all that much about Haydn.

Terez
08-09-2008, 02:19 AM
Have you ever heard the 2nd movement of the "Surprise" symphony (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDWh9F3Vig)? :D That's a good example. It starts off all innocuous and happy, and then a couple of phrases into the first theme, there's this huge fortissimo chord that's designed to make the audience jump out of their seats from shock...