PDA

View Full Version : College Football expansion just will NOT end!

Rand al'Fain
10-18-2011, 02:15 AM
Big Least is offering freakin' Air Force and BSU, MWC countered with the alliance with C-USA (so far it'll basically be a football only conference, but the only crossover will either be OOC games or this championship game between the 2 conference champs, and it looks like both conferences may get more money for it) which was unanimously agreed upon by ALL school presidents in the MWC and C-USA. Big Least is backed into a corner. Missouri is looking to get an invite from the SEC within the next week or two. And the Big 12 is supposedly looking at grabbing up to 3 of the Big Least schools to get back to 12.

That's not to mention that TCU is now going to the Big 12 rather than the Big Least to rejoin some of their old SWC schools, or more specifically, the ones that left them and others, for dead back in the 90s.

The Alliance still has a lot to hammer out (details mainly), but it FINALLY looks like expansion is going to be over soon.

bowlwoman
10-18-2011, 03:36 AM
Missouri in the SEC? Blarg. Well, at least it's not like I'm a "gotta go to the games" kind of fan. I went when Mizzou played Oklahoma for the Big 12 Championship in 2007 because it was in San Antonio and it was my wedding anniversary (complete with a 14-month old and me being 3 months pregnant, but I digress).

I keep calling the Big 12 the Little 9. So, if Mizzou goes to the SEC, then basically you'd have Iowa State and the two Kansas schools anchoring the Big 12 North? That sounds like a whole barrel of laughs.

Maybe this is the last storm before the calm when they finally do away with the BCS nonsense and have a college football playoff tournament. We can only hope.

Zanguini
10-18-2011, 04:09 AM
In NCAA 12 you can realign your conferences at will so long as at least there are four teams in each conference. So this is how I broke them down. I broke them down by average attendance in 2010. The top 60 teams are in major conferences the bottom 60 are in minor ones. I tried to keep regional, rivalry, and old conferences. There was one major break I had to split KS and KS state. Otherwise i am pretty happy with it.

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=102

The Independents in the minor colleges are ranks 61-68 or the top eight teams in the minor conferences.

In reality I would like to have just 8 total conferences 4 major and 4 minor. And a 16 team playoff. 8 automatic bids from each conference and 8 at large bids selected by BCS, voters, polls, or augeries.

GL=Great Lakes for lack of a better term. Ridiculous that a 16 team league would remain big 10.

I also toyed with the idea with making a poor mans Ivy League with the likes of Stanford, Wake, Vandy, ND, NW. But ultimately decided to go strictly with attendance.

bowlwoman
10-18-2011, 10:29 AM
The problem with rivalries is that with TX A&M moving to the SEC and Mizzou looking to, they've already split up two big longterm rivalries. Mizzou/KU and TX A&M/UT. And keeping KU/KS together isn't as huge a problem as you might think, since Iowa and IA St. are split between the Big 10 and Big 12 conferences.

The whole thing is just a mess of massive proportions. TV broadcast rights, alumni headaches, recruiting violations...it's all about the $$$ and not the love of the game.

Gilshalos Sedai
10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
You realize UT and A&M aren't huge rivals anymore right? It's more UT/OU.

Just read in the paper today that the University of Houston has been approached to join the Big East, too.

Sei'taer
10-18-2011, 12:15 PM
The athletic director at the University of Memphis said that U of M "deserves" to be in the SEC. He was nearly laughed out of town. They can't even carry a winning record in C-USA. They've lost 6 and won 1 overall and are 0 for 3 in conference play. Yeah, they deserve to be in the SEC as the whipping boy everybody plays at homecoming.

Ivhon
10-18-2011, 12:35 PM
The athletic director at the University of Memphis said that U of M "deserves" to be in the SEC. He was nearly laughed out of town. They can't even carry a winning record in C-USA. They've lost 6 and won 1 overall and are 0 for 3 in conference play. Yeah, they deserve to be in the SEC as the whipping boy everybody plays at homecoming.

What if he is just embracing the superconference concept and suggesting that every 4-year college in the Southeast should be in the SEC?

Either that or he is thinking of that modest basketball dynasty.... By which logic, the Ivy league should have an automatic BCS berth, because damn they were good for a long time.

bowlwoman
10-18-2011, 12:52 PM
You realize UT and A&M aren't huge rivals anymore right? It's more UT/OU.

That may be true, but I know of at least two former coworkers that were A&M alumni who couldn't stand seeing any UT paraphernalia. This included a 50-year-old VP at a startup I worked at in California and my office mate as a TA at TX State.

Besides, I may live in Austin, but I'm NOT a UT fan at all. I went to Mizzou for undergrad and my husband went to USC undergrad and is currently finishing up his MBA through Baylor. So yeah, no love for UT in this household.

BTW, GO CARDS! World Series here we come.

Gilshalos Sedai
10-18-2011, 12:53 PM
That may be true, but I know of at least two former coworkers that were A&M alumni who couldn't stand seeing any UT paraphernalia. This included a 50-year-old VP at a startup I worked at in California and my office mate as a TA at TX State.

Besides, I may live in Austin, but I'm NOT a UT fan at all. I went to Mizzou for undergrad and my husband went to USC undergrad and is currently finishing up his MBA through Baylor. So yeah, no love for UT in this household.

BTW, GO CARDS! World Series here we come.

Then I'm afraid we can never hang out. I married into a Longhorn family.

/tongue-in-cheek

bowlwoman
10-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Just read in the paper today that the University of Houston has been approached to join the Big East, too.

The athletic director at the University of Memphis said that U of M "deserves" to be in the SEC. He was nearly laughed out of town.

A direct result of telecommunications, relatively inexpensive and fast travel, and globalization. Regionalism is dying. People now grow up in North Carolina, go to school in Texas, and live and work in California. So, they want to see Duke playing Texas and UCLA. And because regional divisions aren't as important anymore, rivalries are developing on a national scale. When you have USC playing Arkansas and Minnesota to get more coverage in the eastern conferences, then it makes sense that things are going to realign fairly significantly.

And the cost of education rising at the "tier one" schools is increasing in a ridiculous fashion. When I went to Mizzou 15 years ago, it was roughly $8000 a semester for tuition, books, fees, food, housing, etc. Now it's running closer to $20,000 a semester when you factor in all the incidentals. I know inflation has had a part to play too, but it's insane that a public university costs so much these days. And don't even get me started on the costs of the big-name private schools.

So, more and more people are looking at the "tier two" schools so they can afford to go to college, and they are actually getting a pretty good education because of the massive competition in academia these days. I didn't get into UT for grad school, so I applied to TX State and got in there no problem, applying at the last minute with conditional admission. And my professors were great, with good academic pedigrees: Cambridge, Yale, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UT, etc. TX State may not have the same research reputation as UT, but in terms of a Masters degree in History, I think I did okay.

That being said, however, the big schools are the ones with the $$$ and can recruit the big name players for athletics. And because the smaller or more regional schools can't pony up the money, they have to settle for "lesser" talent. And then they can't compete on the same scale as the bigger schools and then the BCS uses that as justification to keep them out of the loop. It's a messed up system that just needs to be completely overhauled or scrapped altogether. But that will never happen because $$$ is king.

bowlwoman
10-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Then I'm afraid we can never hang out. I married into a Longhorn family.

/tongue-in-cheek

I'm sorry. :D :p

Rand al'Fain
10-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Big Least football can eat shit and die for all I care. They're a bunch of C-USA teams who only got BCS because of markets.

Money and BCS is destroying what made college football fun. Next to Colorado State, Wyoming's biggest rival (and same goes for CSU) is Air Force. It's a regional rivalry, fans and teams respect eachother greatly, and there is always a lot of traveling fans when one of the three plays the other. And the Big Least is looking to destroy that.

Zanguini
10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
if any of you have ncaa 12 and a ps3 and like to lose let me know and i can arrange it.

Zaela Sedai
10-18-2011, 09:42 PM
I heard that the Big East was going after Idaho too or something... maybe they should change the name of the conference.

Remember when it was (my) UConn, Syracuse, Miami, Pitt, Georgetown, BC... you know schools on the East Coast LOL

Rand al'Fain
10-19-2011, 02:42 AM
I heard that the Big East was going after Idaho too or something... maybe they should change the name of the conference.

Remember when it was (my) UConn, Syracuse, Miami, Pitt, Georgetown, BC... you know schools on the East Coast LOL

Close, try Boise State (middle of Idaho).

Zaela Sedai
10-19-2011, 11:26 AM
I didn't specify what in Idaho they were going after... Just Idaho in general, I didn't remember the specific school. Because you know, being in the Big East for so long I never focused on such schools 2000 miles away lol

Rand al'Fain
10-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Basically the same for me when it comes to the ones in the East.

Kimon
10-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Well, the death knells for the Big East continue to toll - WVU has accepted an invite to the Big 12 (or whatever they are calling themselves now). That is easily an upgrade for West Virginia, and would more than make up for the potential loss of Missouri. It will be interesting to see what happens to Cinci, Louisville, UConn, and Rutgers.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7148200/big-12-accept-west-virginia-mountaineers-early-tuesday-source-says

Rand al'Fain
10-26-2011, 03:33 AM
Well, the death knells for the Big East continue to toll - WVU has accepted an invite to the Big 12 (or whatever they are calling themselves now). That is easily an upgrade for West Virginia, and would more than make up for the potential loss of Missouri. It will be interesting to see what happens to Cinci, Louisville, UConn, and Rutgers.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7148200/big-12-accept-west-virginia-mountaineers-early-tuesday-source-says
Well, it looks like the Conference commissioners of the MWC and C-USA are meeting with the Big Least Commish tomorrow to try and get him on board with the Alliance deal.

The way it would work would be similar to the NFL playoffs. There would be a West, Mountain, Central, and East division of 6-8 teams (keeps geographic rivals as well as cuts down on travel costs), and then the champs of each divsion would face off. Like the West and Mountain champs in a game and the Central and East champs in another. The winners would than face off for a BCS Bowl or something.

And from te sounds of this, it looks like this could very well increase the paychecks due to TV monies, if nothing else with all of those markets and football literally, all day.

Davian93
10-26-2011, 08:25 AM
The Big East is fine...as far as basketball is concerned.

Rand al'Fain
10-28-2011, 01:50 AM
UPDATE!

Mizzou was apparently invited, and accepted into the SEC Monday.

The Big 12 is now looking at taking both Louisville and West Virginia, with the possibility of Cincy as well.

Big East had recently been to both Colorado Springs, CO and Boise, ID to try and convince Air Force and BSU to come to the Big Least, neither school said yes or no.

This brings the Least down to Rutgers, Cincy, and USF, with 2 of them looking to get the hell out, and Cincy may very well be on their way.

Looks like the Big Least is almost dead as a football conference.

Kimon
10-28-2011, 11:09 AM
UPDATE!

Mizzou was apparently invited, and accepted into the SEC Monday.

The Big 12 is now looking at taking both Louisville and West Virginia, with the possibility of Cincy as well.

Big East had recently been to both Colorado Springs, CO and Boise, ID to try and convince Air Force and BSU to come to the Big Least, neither school said yes or no.

This brings the Least down to Rutgers, Cincy, and USF, with 2 of them looking to get the hell out, and Cincy may very well be on their way.

Looks like the Big Least is almost dead as a football conference.

At this point the likelihood of the Big East becoming not just basketball only, but perhaps a purely Catholic basketball conference seems very feasible. Assuming that the four remaining football schools leave (Cinci, Louisville, Rutgers, and USF), they would be left with DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Notre Dame (for basketball), Providence, St Johns, Seton Hall, and Villanova. All Catholic schools. The birth of Big Priest?

Davian93
10-28-2011, 11:14 AM
At this point the likelihood of the Big East becoming not just basketball only, but perhaps a purely Catholic basketball conference seems very feasible. Assuming that the four remaining football schools leave (Cinci, Louisville, Rutgers, and USF), they would be left with DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Notre Dame (for basketball), Providence, St Johns, Seton Hall, and Villanova. All Catholic schools. The birth of Big Priest?

They're trying to add St. Joes for basketball too...so there's another catholic school in the mix.

Villanova is fighting it though as they want to be the only Big East school in Philly.

Kimon
10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
They're trying to add St. Joes for basketball too...so there's another catholic school in the mix.

Villanova is fighting it though as they want to be the only Big East school in Philly.

They could also replace Cinci with Xavier and Dayton. That would give them two Catholic schools in Ohio, both with traditionally good basketball teams, and both close to Notre Dame, and sort of close to DePaul and Marquette.

Davian93
10-28-2011, 11:24 AM
They could also replace Cinci with Xavier and Dayton. That would give them two Catholic schools in Ohio, both with traditionally good basketball teams, and both close to Notre Dame, and sort of close to DePaul and Marquette.

I heard they were looking to nab Temple and St. Joes...both would be very solid additions for basketball. Villanova, of course, is fighting both as I said earlier. Pretty silly really as it would simply add to the great intracity rivalry all 3 schools already have.

Note: Temple, of course, is NOT a Catholic school.