PDA

View Full Version : Don't talk to me. For like... a week at least.

RogueSavior
08-06-2008, 11:56 PM
I've never been anywhere near so sad in my life. Even when he retired....

Favre era ends in Green Bay with trade to Jets

ESPN.com news services

The Brett Favre era in Green Bay officially came to an end late Wednesday night as the longtime Packers star quarterback was traded to the New York Jets, the Packers announced.

The exact compensation wasn't immediately available, but it is believed to be a single draft pick that increases in value depending upon how the Jets perform during the 2008 season.

"Brett has had a long and storied career in Green Bay, and the Packers owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for everything he accomplished on the field and for the impact he made in the state," Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy said. "It is with some sadness that we make this announcement, but also with the desire for certainty that will allow us to move the team and organization forward in the most positive way possible."

The Packers had been talking with the Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers since deciding earlier this week that the team and the three-time MVP couldn't co-exist. The Packers decided to move forward with Aaron Rodgers as their starter after Favre announced his retirement in March.

Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, confirmed the deal in a text message to The Associated Press late Wednesday night.

The agreement first was reported by Fox Sports on its Web site.

Terez
08-06-2008, 11:58 PM
All of his hometown fans are going to be wailing in agony because he didn't show up on the Saints' roster. :D

Birgitte
08-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Can someone please explain to me why Brett Favre has decided to destroy his legacy?

A) He reassured everyone for weeks that he was going to stay retired. Then didn't. Dick move. He should've known that they couldn't put all that effort into making their offense work for the dumb new guy and then just give it up with a snap of his fingers.

B) If he didn't want to retire, he just shouldn't have done it. I know everyone's blaming the Packers here, but Brett's brought this on himself. Everything I've read about this shows that he's making himself into an arrogant idiot about this whole deal.

Edit: Even God doesn't understand.

Me:
Why has Brett Favre decided to destroy his legacy?
God:
The explanation is rather complicated.
Me:
You mean you don't know.
God:
I know that I do not know.

irerancincpkc
08-07-2008, 07:37 AM
I don't think he destroyed his legacy. The guy can still play, he'll do well with the Jets.

He wanted to play; the Packers didn't want him. I don't see how that is arrogant... the way the Packers treated him was the crime in this, I think.

Sei'taer
08-07-2008, 08:14 AM
He wanted to play; the Packers didn't want him. I don't see how that is arrogant... the way the Packers treated him was the crime in this, I think.

What you've got to remember is that this is a business. Favre retired. He was being paid a lot of money when he retired and he was getting older. The team got another QB and then Favre decided he wanted back in. Even though he is good enough to still play, the team is trying to get on after he left so they have changed things and he didn't fit in anymore. If he hadn't retired, the team would still be the way it was when he left and there would be nothing going on about trades. I would be reluctant to reinstate someone who was older and maybe (big maybe because I personally think he's done being at the top of the game) would give you one or two more years of good play...not outstanding, just good....especially after he had officially retired.

Thats my opinion, and I think Favre is one of the greatest QB's ever to play the game. I'm sad that it happened this way, but I think I understand why it did. I wish he had just stayed retired.

Brita
08-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Yep- you gotta retire in style- like Gretzky :D

Birgitte
08-07-2008, 10:32 AM
It was arrogant of him to think that, even though the entire team had been preparing for their new QB for months, that they'd just drop everything they had been doing to get him back. And stupid. That'd be half of the off season preps the Packer's made gone. Personally, if I were the Packers, I'd be so pissed off. First Brett asked them to fuck over all their players (especially the new guy) who had spent all that time learning how to work together. And then the media is making it seem like they're holding out just to be mean. Not only is NFL football a business, they also have to keep the rest of their players in mind. How're they going to feel about spending half the summer learning how to work with Rodgers only to have all that training become obsolete? And Favre coming back would completely mess up their training plans, which would be a serious disadvantage when they go up against teams as good as them that don't have that kind of problem. They'd be practically guaranteed not to go as far as they did last season and those players are in it to win. And they did what is best for the team as a whole; that's not a crime.

And his legacy is over. He's not good enough anymore to have any real success, especially with the Jets. It's more than just playing football, though. He always had a great reputation for being a good down-to-earth person at Green Bay. That's why he's got so many fans and that's what football should've been left with. Now that he's done this, this is what people are going to remember. And anything that he does at the Jets which isn't likely to rival what he did for the Packers. As Brita said, "You gotta retire in style -- like Gretzky." Gretzky retired in style and is still admired for it. Favre could've had that, but gave it up.

Edit: Ugh... I'm sounding like my brother. It's horrible.

Davian93
08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't think he destroyed his legacy. The guy can still play, he'll do well with the Jets.

I'm retired...no I'm not, well maybe I am well maybe I want to play again...Oh I do and its the beginning of training camp. Screw that whole new offense you guys developed and those QBs you drafted because I said I was retired or the past 3 years where I went through a saga after every season putting you guys through weeks of possible contingency planning on whether or not I would ACTUALLY retire this year...

Yeah, Green Bay is the bad guy here...rigghtt.

I like Favre alot but he's been just a tad selfish the past few years.

Sinistrum
08-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Personally I think this was a dumb move on the Packers part. No matter Favre's issues with indecision, NFL franchises are still businesses. And their business is to win Super Bowls ASAP. So that being the primary consideration for NFL teams, their decision making on personel should always be who is going to help them win now. Not only does this make good business sense, but they also owe that to their fans who shell out for tickets and expect to go to a game and see a contender play. In this situation the Packers had two choices. A. The future Hall of Famer who holds almost every major passing record, won three MVP's, already won them a Super Bowl, and oh yeah took them to the NFC championship game last year or B. The unproven fourth year player with no starts under his belt, virtually no passing statistics, no playoff experience, and oh yeah, has a tendancy to get injured a lot (did I mention he went 7-22 in his first pre-season start?). The choice is obvious to me. You always go with the proven commodity before you take a gamble on an unproven young player. They should only get shots when the proven commodity stops performing or becomes unavailable. The Packers screwed both themselves and their fans this season by trading Favre and putting their future in the hands of Aaron Rodgers.

Davian93
08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Consider the fact that if Favre is reasonably healthy and starts 80% of the Jets snaps, the Pack will get a 1st round pick in return for an aging pricy QB...I'd say they did well in the trade.

cottillion
08-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Consider the fact that if Favre is reasonably healthy and starts 80% of the Jets snaps, the Pack will get a 1st round pick in return for an aging pricy QB...I'd say they did well in the trade.
The pick does not only depend on how much he plays but also on how the Jets season goes. I believe its something like a 3rd for playing 50% of the snaps, a 2nd for 70% of the snaps and the playoffs and a 1st for 80% of the snaps and they go to the superbowl.

tanaww
08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm just going to say that this should be both Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy's last season in Green Bay. The whole Favre situation - especially after his interview with Greta Van Susteren (whom I hate by the way), indicates epic incompetence on their part. No other team treats a three-time MVP the way these two douchebags treated Brett.

Ted, Mike... Fuck you both.

irerancincpkc
08-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I'd just like to say I agree with Sinistrum on everything he said. :D

Zaela Sedai
08-07-2008, 04:25 PM
I was placing blame on noone until the Packers offered him 20M to stay retired....That made me lose all respect for them. If he took it I would have lost respect for him. But WHY would they think he would take it....he's not stupid and he doesnt need money.

I think he was signed for 39M double that with the endorsements he'll prolly get in NY.

RogueSavior
08-07-2008, 08:30 PM
That "$20 Million to stay retired" is a marketing deal similar to the one John Elway, Jim Kelly, and Steve Young signed with their respective teams once they retired, which allows them to still be involved in the public functions of their club, without them being a member of the football team. The Packers were hoping Brett was just missing football, and that deal allowed him to be around it again.

With that said, I re-enter seclusion.

Sei'taer
08-07-2008, 08:44 PM
It just hit me...do you know what this means????? DO YOU????

The Jets are the new Mets!

sorry WSB

Realnow
08-08-2008, 08:45 AM
I think that its entirely possible he'll still have a great year. I mean for one of the probably..top ?5? QBs last season he is still in top form.

And it sucks as a situation but you gotta admit..if you still wanted to play and they said no, you'd be pissed. And he was fine with being traded, and they said no to that too. Selfish on GB part.

Sinistrum
08-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Plus the Jets have some weapons on offense. Jericho Cotchery and Laveranues Coles are solid wideouts, Thomas Jones is a decent RB, Chris Baker is underrated at the TE spot, and Tony Richardson is good as a check down option. I think the move will help the Jets tremendously in trying to get one of the two Wild Card spots in the AFC.

cottillion
08-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Plus the Jets have some weapons on offense. Jericho Cotchery and Laveranues Coles are solid wideouts, Thomas Jones is a decent RB, Chris Baker is underrated at the TE spot, and Tony Richardson is good as a check down option. I think the move will help the Jets tremendously in trying to get one of the two Wild Card spots in the AFC.
They are definately going to be contenders for a wildcard spot this year but in the AFC those spots are very competitive. Either the Jaguars or Colts are virtually a lock on one of the spots pending serious injury and then they have to fight with a half dozen other contenders for the last spot.

Sinistrum
08-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I think the Jags will be the first wild card. The Colts stranglehold on the division won't be broken this year. Assuming the Chargers, Patriots, Colts and Browns all win their divisions the competition for the second really only comes down to the Titans, the Bills, and the Jets. The Broncos don't have a run defense, Jay Cutler is inconsistant and Brandon Marshall his best Pacman Jones impersonation, the Steelers schedule is a death march from which they will not be able to pull 10 wins from (especially with the o-line in the state it is), the Bengals have no defense and have Chad Johnson as a distraction, the Ravens have no qb, no wideouts and an aging defense, the Texans still have the same craptastic offensive line and the Raiders, Chiefs, and Dolphins are all rebuilding.

Frenzy
08-08-2008, 04:07 PM
else people compare you to Barry Bonds...