PDA

View Full Version : Author Unknown

New Futurist Man
10-20-2011, 03:12 AM
"And the Shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon." ~
(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,
The Breaking of the World.
Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
‎"And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time." ~
(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,
The Cycle of the Dragon.
Author unknown, the Fourth Age)

As both these passages are, from the perspective of the 4th Age, penned by unknown authors. Is it possible the author lived during the 3rd Age?

Loial seems out of the question. But I wonder do we know the character, and are we going to get a reveal? It raises some interesting speculation about the coming transition into the 4th Age if the authors are from the 3rd Age yet knowledge of who they were doesn't survive into the next Age.

Could this be foreshadowing a Breaking-type upheaval?

Enigma
10-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Its not unreasonable to assume that a lot of people would write about the events of the books, and the breaking of the world. Sort of like how many people have written books on various aspectes of the Second World War. I'm not sure if we can read more into it other than the identity of the author was lost over time. We don't know how long the fourth age will last for and when it was written. If we assume that the third age ends with Rand defeating the dark one, the fourth age could last another three to four thousand years and given that the account would be stored on paper all it would take was for the page with the authors name on it to be torn or lost for his/her identity to be lost.

Oden
10-20-2011, 02:08 PM
We do not know if they are writing about this breaking of the world. Those writings could be from the fourth age in the previous turning of the Wheel.
Also, the names may differ from one turning to the next.

hippie-joe
11-01-2011, 10:35 PM
If we assume that the third age ends with Rand defeating the dark one, the fourth age could last another three to four thousand years

i seem to recall it saying that the age ended with the removal of the taint on saidin. when the hand on the island of tremalking SP? melted and the islanders (what they were called escapes me) all drank the punch.

but then i guess it's all relative.

that would make sense, being as the begining of the end of the AOL was when the DO lashed out as he was bing sealed away, tainting the male half of the source. it seems only right that the event that would end an age, would be put to an end at the end of the next.

that makes sense right?