PDA

View Full Version : New edition of TEOTW

Zombie Sammael
10-20-2011, 03:55 PM
NOTE: I was unsure where to put this, but it is discussion of a WOT-related topic. If a mod feels it's inappropriately placed, feel free to move it.

Anyone else seen this? (http://www.dragonmount.com/index.php/News/book-news/orbit-limited-edition-eotw) Looks like it's a UK only edition. Amazon are presently listing it discounted to 20. It's definitely on my wish list - my poor paperbook copy of TEOTW, while not exactly in tatters like my TFOH, has definitely seen better days. Plus, it will mean I have the first volume of both Discworld and WOT in fancy pants leatherbound wotsits.

Any other UK folk planning on picking this up? And any non-UK folk want me to find you a copy? :D

Davian93
10-20-2011, 04:06 PM
35 Pounds is a lot of scratch...that's like ~checks exchange rate~ $7,340,303.00 in American.

Still, looks cool.

Lupusdeusest
10-21-2011, 04:48 AM
I got 2 :D AUD33 a pop, not bad. That's my best mate's birthday present sorted!
(The funniest thing: I was up quite early, only a little after the post went up, so I leaped in and ordered our 2 and left a message on his facebook (a text would have woken him up). About half an hour later, I get a text saying he had done the same thing for me! Thankfully he was able to cancel his order.)
I wish they had a no-more-that-X-copies-per-person rule. I have the oddest feeling there are unscrupulous persons out there.
But still!
I won't be able to afford the whole series in these new covers (there is a very good reason I only have 1, 5, 7, and 9 regained since the floods in January, and three of them as a gift!) but I hope to at least get the original trilogy, as it were.

Another thing - it's bloody awesome to not be barred from a contest for once! I have a very strong distaste for the phrase "must be resident of the 50 States" or however it is Tor et al phrase it. About time!

WinespringBrother
10-21-2011, 09:04 AM
I was able to pre-order it on Amazon UK. It came out to about $47 USD with shipping, and it works out since I don't have a HC of TEOTW. I should get it in time for my next re-read woot!

WinespringBrother
11-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Just got the book today (nice fast shipping), its very nice :D Though not #'d like I expected.

Lupusdeusest
11-13-2011, 01:30 AM
My tracking page said "Processing" until Friday 11, when it changed to "Shipped: 8 Nov." Damn being out in the Colonies.

Zombie Sammael
11-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Got mine on Wednesday, so it's here in time to get signed by Brandon in a week or so. Oooh, my poor wallet...

WinespringBrother
11-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Got mine on Wednesday, so it's here in time to get signed by Brandon in a week or so. Oooh, my poor wallet...

Brandon doesn't sign books that he didn't write.

Isabel
11-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah, Jordan still wrote the Eye of the World and a couple more books.......:rolleyes:

Zombie Sammael
11-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Brandon doesn't sign books that he didn't write.

Is that actual policy? Bit disappointing if it is, though I suppose I could just take TGH and/or TOM instead.

I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful, but as it is the special edition of the book, and as he is the only living author associated with the series, I thought it would be nice to get it done by him. :(

Lupusdeusest
11-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Well, I just got a text from home saying my books have arrived, but in a damaged state. I've an exam in an hour, so will have to wait until after that to see how damaged.

Edit: Got home and found that they had a thumping great chunk gouged out of the spine. Not happy, Jan. Emailed Book Depository as they really should have packed them better. It's gouged right through the special boxcover into the spine - I can see the pages.

Ishara
11-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Oooohhh, that would strongly annoy me too! Can you get your money back, and/ or a new copy? That's simply unacceptable!

Lupusdeusest
12-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Well, it's how many weeks later? and I am still exchanging emails with Book Depository. The one I sent off a couple of days ago is their last chance - if they send me another email saying "I'm sorry, there is nothing attached to your email", I am putting in an official complaint.
Yes, I have tried .tiff, .jpg, .zip, .doc, .pdf, and including a link to a download on my deviantART site, and still I get the same response! Hello! I gave you a link to where you could download it of your email system didn't recognise there being an attachment yet again! That's the other annoying thing - the automatic assumption that it's something wrong up MY end. I'm using a standard email system on a standard OS and using standard file types. I have never had a case of vanishing attachments before. I have sent the emails from multiple computers. And what the heck is wrong with them that they don't actually READ THE TEXT IN THE EMAIL to find the link I had given as a failsafe?!
In the meantime, Turn the Wheel has said their last copy has been sold, which makes me very, very annoyed. I'm just happy that the other copy in that parcel didn't get damaged - it is intended as a birthday gift for a WoTrian friend of mine, and I am no longer going to keep it with the other, damaged copy - just in case they want me to ship back both of them for some reason - and instead am going to give it to him. It's already a week past his birthday, and it's quite frankly Not My Problem. (Deleted a crudity for your reading pleasure.)
So. Not impressed by a) customer service or b) their wrapping. A single sheet of 3mm cardboard is NOT enough to protect 2 precious limited edition books. I'm not going to go without my limited edition copy, so they'd better find a way to get one for me, should there be none left after this fiasco.
Not happy, Jan.
(Also, it turn out (unsurprisingly) it is a lot easier to rant here than on Twitter. It was amusing attempting to fit my shattered outbursts into 140c; ultimately, all attempts failed.)

Although, good news: said friend's Christmas present arrived last week. I dursn't name what it is here - he occasionally lurks - but yay!

Lupusdeusest
12-12-2011, 05:21 AM
Update: Just got an email back from them saying the link miraculously works! :|
So. What is their offer? A 40% refund!
Here's the damage: http://lupus-deus-est.deviantart.com/art/TEOTW-Damage-273078287
What's your thought? I'm tempted to hold that thought and see if I can get a new box off Orbit, and how much it'd be.
The thing is, the main reason I got this edition IS for its looks and awesomeness, and it would have been in a very-well padded box when not on display (although yes, I would have read it; it has proven most pleasing to read so far, with a dreamy scent of fresh pages!). Should I accept their offer? Am I being unreasonable for being displeased with it?

I think I need to step away from the email before I respond, that is for sure.

GonzoTheGreat
12-12-2011, 05:28 AM
Seeing as how this should be such a personal, special, possession, I would say that you have to decide for yourself how to handle it. That means that I advise you not to heed other people's advice on this. Of course, you can decide to ignore this bit of advice, but I'm not sure where that would leave you.

Zombie Sammael
12-12-2011, 05:36 AM
Update: Just got an email back from them saying the link miraculously works! :|
So. What is their offer? A 40% refund!
Here's the damage: http://lupus-deus-est.deviantart.com/art/TEOTW-Damage-273078287
What's your thought? I'm tempted to hold that thought and see if I can get a new box off Orbit, and how much it'd be.
The thing is, the main reason I got this edition IS for its looks and awesomeness, and it would have been in a very-well padded box when not on display (although yes, I would have read it; it has proven most pleasing to read so far, with a dreamy scent of fresh pages!). Should I accept their offer? Am I being unreasonable for being displeased with it?

I think I need to step away from the email before I respond, that is for sure.

Personally I would hold out for a full refund/replacement, but if you don't think you're going to get that, I'd say you'd have to take it. Bit of a tragedy though, considering how few copies were printed.

Lupusdeusest
12-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I've (hopefully - their online form doesn't let you know if it is successfully sent or not) emailed Orbit UK - I believe they were the original publishers - asking a) if they can send a new box and b) how much it'd be. I'll get BD to pay for the replacement box, if they can make/get/obtain one, as well as the P&H on it.
Of course, I'm not sure what I'll do should a new box be unavailable. Probably hold up for a full refund, as suggested above. Without the box in full strength, the book is likely to get rather damaged. In the meantime, I can but hope that Orbit has mercy.
(Re not being sure if it sent - I'll give Orbit 3 days to respond, then i will snail mail Orbit Australia.)

WinespringBrother
12-12-2011, 12:15 PM
This item is still in-stock at Amazon UK. I bought it from them and my copy was adequately protected for overseas shipping and arrived in mint condition.

Lupusdeusest
12-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Well, if I don't get any replies from Orbit, I'll charge them for a new copy from Amazon, including shipping. I'm definitely not getting anything good from BD again. Being in Australia as I am, the no-shipping thing was a big lure - I find Amazon etc's shipping fees very painful - but everything I have ordered from Amazon has arrived in top-notch condition. (The 2 WoT calendars I ordered a few years back from them arrived in a massive box filled with air packs and foam pieces... BD needs to take a leaf from them. Even a small piece would do. In that link you can see the thickness of the card they used...)

Dajoran
12-13-2011, 12:41 PM
I received my copy of this a few days back... it looks lonely on it's top shelf waiting for it's thirteen brothers to come join it.

At least its extended family the McSoftbacks and O'Firsteditions are a shelf below if it gets too lonely.

Ninja Edit: I need to proofread these things :|

Lupusdeusest
12-14-2011, 01:54 AM
Well, I called the people that distribute for Orbit in Australia, who put me through to Orbit's Customer Care, who said that it is possible to get a new box-cover for it, but only if I am a bookseller/distributor. I've therefore emailed that off to BD. My local bookstore also has it(!) for $50 (Go Dymocks!) so I have given them that option too (They're selling it for $51.something.)
Let's see how this goes.

Lupusdeusest
12-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:07:45 +0000
To: (my email)
Subject: Re: Fwd: RE: Contact us form post: My order arrived damaged

Dear Eleanor,

A replacement has been ordered for your damaged item received please allow 7 to 10 working days to reach you once dispatched from us. Please keep the received title to do with as you wish.

Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Kind Regards,

Emma Egan

WinespringBrother
01-26-2012, 04:12 PM
There are a few copies available on Abebooks:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=6147408387&searchurl=bsi%3D60%26kn%3Drobert%2Bjordan%2Blimite d%2Bedition

$42.92 plus free shipping to US.

Terez
01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
There are a few copies available on Abebooks:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=6147408387&searchurl=bsi%3D60%26kn%3Drobert%2Bjordan%2Blimite d%2Bedition

$42.92 plus free shipping to US.I ordered trade paperbacks for books 4-6 from Abe Books, and they sent me MMPBs. For the record, they were very easy to deal with on the return. They apologized for labeling the books wrong, gave me a free shipping label, and I got my refund within a few days.