PDA

View Full Version : We used to have a food thread

fdsaf3
10-21-2011, 08:15 AM
So I thought I'd start another one.

Tonight when I get home from work, I'm going to make a pumpkin curry recipe I found online. I love (LOVE!) curry, but I don't like it too spicy. When I eat out at curry restaurants, I always ask for mild - and even that's sometimes too spicy.

Anyway, pumpkin is the flavor of the season, so tonight I'm making a pumpkin curry with shrimp served over rice. I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, but let's hope for the best.

Here's the recipe according to the website:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sliced onion
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 plum tomato, chopped
1 15-ounce can pumpkin purée
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup butternut squash, roasted and diced
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Steamed rice
Cilantro
Lime zest
Fried shallots

Preparation
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and ginger; sauté until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in plum tomato and pumpkin purée; cook, stirring frequently, until pumpkin is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, curry powder, and cayenne pepper; simmer for 20 minutes. Add butternut squash, shrimp, and lime juice. Simmer until shrimp are cooked and squash is warm. Serve with steamed rice. Top with cilantro, lime zest, and fried shallots.

I'm not the biggest shallot fan in the world so I might omit them. I haven't decided yet.

Anyway, I'll post again after tonight to let you know how it goes.

What other foods are you guys cooking? Any great fall recipes we should know about?

The Unreasoner
10-21-2011, 07:03 PM
We used to have a food thread
Indeed we did. (http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=155108#post155108) But, even that thread wasn't the first:
saw one in the archives

In fact, Theoryland has always had a food thread, or at least food-like discussions:

The Dusty Wheel turns, and Threads come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Thread that gave it birth comes again. In one Thread, called the Food Thread by some, a Thread yet to come, a Thread long past, a question rose among Theoryland Foodies entering Autumn. The question was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the discussions of the Dusty Wheel. But it was a beginning.

Lol.

Never heard of pumpkin curry. Sounds pretty good though.

You don't like shallots?

One thing I like to do is make eggplant, pumpkin, and zucchini tempura. You could throw shrimp in there too. I roast them a bit before battering/frying.

It could definitely work for fall. You could even marinate it all in some kind of curry paste+coconut milk+honey+olive oil+white vinegar before roasting. Maybe dip it in raita or something when eating.

Pumpkin curry...
You definitely piqued my curiosity. I eagerly await the follow-up.

Davian93
10-21-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm not the biggest shallot fan in the world so I might omit them.

Provincial savage.

Jonai
10-22-2011, 03:13 AM
Provincial savage.

*arches an eyebrow* lol

The Unreasoner
10-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Provincial savage.
I can't tell if you are mocking me, him, or foodies in general.

Davian93
10-22-2011, 07:49 PM
I can't tell if you are mocking me, him, or foodies in general.

As a foodie, I'm mocking (more like teasing actually) him as I cant understand how someone wouldn't like shallots. They're one of the best flavored food I can think of...they make everything better.

fdsaf3
10-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Update:

I'm going to make this tomorrow night. I made butternut squash risotto instead, which was good. I'll post results when I get around to it.

And as far as shallots are concerned, I don't dislike them enough to pick around them. I just don't necessarily like them all that much. I'm sort of neutral but slightly less than that. Sometimes I use them in recipes, sometimes I don't.

I'm definitely not a foodie though. I enjoy cooking, but I have little technique and less imagination.

The Unreasoner
10-24-2011, 04:14 PM
As a foodie, I'm mocking (more like teasing actually) him as I cant understand how someone wouldn't like shallots. They're one of the best flavored food I can think of...they make everything better.
That they do. I just thought for a moment you were mocking my own incredulity, or foodies in general with the word choice.
I'm definitely not a foodie though. I enjoy cooking, but I have little technique and less imagination.
I wasn't born with technique and am not arrogant enough to claim much imagination. But of course you're a foodie:
I love (LOVE!) curry
That right there would be enough, in my mind. Enjoying cooking is icing on the cake.

BTW, are you a vegetarian? (Or rather, do you not eat red meat?)

fdsaf3
10-24-2011, 04:20 PM
No, I'm not a vegetarian. I do eat read meat, but other than a nice steak once in a while, I try to limit how much red meat I eat. I guess it's not that healthy for you if you eat it all the time.

And if loving curry makes me a foodie, then I accept your definition with pride. :D

Sei'taer
10-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Tonight, I made baked pork chops(thick cut) rubbed with brown mustard, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper and moscato wine, seasoned turnip greens, and cornbread stuffing. It was fabulous, if I do say so myself.

fdsaf3
10-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Broiled or grilled chops?

confused at birth
10-24-2011, 08:09 PM
what is the diff? had never heard of broiled until i moved to america.

anyone got something that is cheap and filling but not bland mush, spent a year and half unable to walk and i need to drop another 60lbs to get back to how i was before my accident

Sei'taer
10-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Broiled or grilled chops?

Baked, 350 degrees uncovered for about 45 minutes I think. I don't set timers unless it's absolutely necessary.

Khoram
10-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Had a nice rare steak - spiced with Montreal Steak spices (salt, red pepper and mustard spices, garlic, onion and sunflower oil) and had some mashed potatoes and green beans with olive oil and crushed chili peppers. And can't forget the crusty baguette with salted butter. Absolutely amazing!

God, I'm getting hungry all over again. *drool*

Ishara
10-25-2011, 09:37 AM
what is the diff? had never heard of broiled until i moved to america.

anyone got something that is cheap and filling but not bland mush, spent a year and half unable to walk and i need to drop another 60lbs to get back to how i was before my accident

Quinoa is cheap and super filling and very high in protein. Can be eaten hot or cold, and made into sweet, savoury or salad dishes. It's my favourite.

Also, lentils. Buy them dried, saok them overnight and make delicious stew (over brown rice, or QUINOA!) or soup. Cheap, easy and again, very high in protein and low in carbs. And tasty!