PDA

View Full Version : To e-read or not to e-read

Res_Ipsa
10-23-2011, 11:54 PM
So, I never paid attn to my amazon rewards visa but paying about $1,000 a year in books, and miscellaneous study aids has resulted in my having enough money to buy an e-reader.

So, any recommendations? Sony/Kindle is what I am looking at, and is color really worth it? Anyone who has bought one regret it? I admit I love the feel of a good book in my hands. Also, I noticed the Kindle version does support .pdf but is there proprietary firmware that makes importing your own .pdf a pain?

Isabel
10-23-2011, 11:58 PM
I personally would go for anything that supports open formats and books you can buy from multiple stores.
For that reason I would suggest going with Sony.

Res_Ipsa
10-24-2011, 12:52 AM
I personally would go for anything that supports open formats and books you can buy from multiple stores.
For that reason I would suggest going with Sony.

So does that justify the price jump in your mind; does kindle only accept proprietary purchases? What are ebooks ranging in price these days for a new release? I like Sony, but $40-60 more for a comparable model quite a bit. I have $90 to spend from points but don't mind putting in a bit extra.

The Unreasoner
10-24-2011, 02:10 AM
PDFs are more trouble than they're worth, for eBooks. The primary open format is epub, and since it's basically a zip filled with web pages, it is pretty easy to to convert to it from any format.

I think the kindle is a superior product, even overlooking price. And, perhaps for that very reason, there are a number of tools, both freeware and proprietary, to convert to Amazon's format. The Adobe DRM looks like it will become the industry standard for epub, and there are a number of programs to manage digital libraries for it. Several of them support converting to the kindle format. Plus, it sounds like you shop on Amazon a good deal, so your preferred store is obviously available. I'd go with kindle, but of course it's your call.

Color is great for magazines and some textbooks, but if you mainly read books that wouldn't benefit from it, it's not worth the money. It's not like you will start reading spiderman comics because you bought a color reader.

bowlwoman
10-24-2011, 02:54 AM
Another consideration for the Kindle Fire (the new tablet-like Kindle releasing next month) is that it will also play the proprietary Amazon Instant Videos. So, if you have an Amazon Prime account and watch a lot of the free instant videos, you might think about the Kindle Fire for portability since they're not available on other smart devices.

Davian93
10-24-2011, 09:18 AM
I've never had a format issue with my Kindle...it accepts other formats just fine. For $119, its a good deal...think that's the correct price these days. I paid $300 for mine and still dont mind.

Zaela Sedai
10-24-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't have a kindle, but I do have the Nook Color... Your want color, the options provided with magazines, kids books, internet, etc make it so worth it.

frenchie
10-24-2011, 09:50 PM
I love my Kindle, so I'd suggest the Kindle Fire, personally, but I have friends who love their Nook.

ShadowbaneX
10-24-2011, 10:09 PM
From a tech standpoint, (and I'm not sure how prevalent it is), but get something with digital ink/e-paper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper).

On the format side of things a friend of mine recently picked up an e-reader and was rather disappointed with how difficult it was to actually get e-books legitimately on his device. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the specifics of his problems, but this, related to the ACTA thread from a few weeks ago is mirrored here in that the companies are so worried about pirates that they make things really difficult for people that actually want to give them money, which is a massive shame.

Res_Ipsa
10-25-2011, 11:48 AM
I've never had a format issue with my Kindle...it accepts other formats just fine. For $119, its a good deal...think that's the correct price these days. I paid $300 for mine and still dont mind.

Yeah Kindle seems a pretty good pricemark and I doubt amazon.com is going anywhere anytime soon.

Otherwise, thank you all for the suggestions I believe I am going with a kindle.

Crispin's Crispian
10-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah Kindle seems a pretty good pricemark and I doubt amazon.com is going anywhere anytime soon.

Otherwise, thank you all for the suggestions I believe I am going with a kindle.

FWIW, I have a Kindle and it works well. I don't use it for much other than books, because the web browsing is wonky and unstable (don't even bother with Facebook, as it will just crash). However, I was able to get some PDFs and HTML files converted over to the Kindle with no problem whatsoever. Amazon gives you an conversion e-mail account--just e-mail the PDF or HTML doc to your Kindle address, and Amazon will convert it and send it to your Kindle automatically. Pretty sweet.

If you're thinking of doing any web browsing or anything other than ebooks, go with the Kindle Fire or another tablet/eReader with color.

Davian93
10-25-2011, 12:14 PM
I love my Kindle because I can read it in bright sunlight, I've never had issues converting a file to its format and its cheap and easy to maintain.

I do recommend getting a carrying case for it and a clip on light for it...the light is really handly on planes, in bed, traveling, etc. I do a good amount of travel for work and I love just bringing my kindle and work laptop instead of trying to fit a book/books in my laptop bag.