PDA

View Full Version : Oh, hi everyone

Tomp
10-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Hi I'm Tomp, in some other forums I'm known as Tomp115. I am a dedicated fan of the wheel of time. I read the first one, just when it was released, as an assignment for a book review in my english language studies and has been hooked ever since.

English is not my native language, but I read the books in english because sometimes something gets lost in the translation (the feeling of a scene you might say). I have no trouble followimng your discussions but sometimes I may express myself in, for you, an odd way. That may be because of the different ways to construct sentences in the different languages.

As I have said I am a dedicated fan (borderline fanatic).

Some may know me from twitter where I use Tomp115 as my "name".

Now back to the theories...

Terez
10-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Welcome Tomp. For some reason I thought you'd joined here before now. You've been on Twitter for a while now.

Tomp
10-26-2011, 03:15 AM
Just missed this presentation part. I've written some replies in different posts here already.

GonzoTheGreat
10-26-2011, 04:05 AM
Out of curiosity: do you have a native language of your own (and if so, what is it)?
It would be really neat to meet someone who doesn't actually have a native language, but for some reason such persons seem rather rare. My own native language is Dutch, by the way.

Terez
10-26-2011, 04:11 AM
I think he's Sveedish.

Tomp
10-26-2011, 06:08 AM
That's right.

Is that the way you think we speak, well maybe it is for some who are not used to speaking english. There's a difference in cadence. But I speak english so much that I don't have that much of an accent anymore.

maacaroni
10-26-2011, 07:49 AM
No, I can't forgive any language slip-ups if you are Swedish.

The Swedes speak better English than the English, everyone knows that.

maacaroni
10-26-2011, 07:50 AM
PS welcome to the board.

Tomp
10-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Misstakes I'm not allowed any. Words arrange in order I do.

Hold the newsreaders nose squarely waiter or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

This is harder than it looks ;)

Sarevok
10-26-2011, 09:48 AM
The Swedes speak better English than the English, everyone knows that.

Goes for many Dutch, too. :cool:

Welcome to TL, Tomp! :D

WinespringBrother
10-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Welcome!

Janduin
10-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Welcome from Down Under!

P.S. The Aussies don't speak English; we speak "Australian", which is a nice way of saying 'bad English', or more commonly 'chewing up the language and spitting it back out again'.

Terez
10-26-2011, 04:05 PM
That's right.

Is that the way you think we speak, well maybe it is for some who are not used to speaking english.
No. I don't even know what the Swedish word for Swedish is.

There's a difference in cadence. But I speak english so much that I don't have that much of an accent anymore.I have only met one person that I know of from Europe who spoke English with an American accent (my version of 'no accent', not that there aren't American accents). Of course, you can never tell if they don't announce nationality. This girl was Dutch, which I was amazed to discover. I thought she was Canadian (knew she was an exchange student, but not from where).

PS - That's not counting actors.

DahLliA
10-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Words arrange in order I do.

was your English-teacher named Yoda by any chance?

anyway. good to see another Scandinavian, even though you're not the cool, oil-drinking kind like me :D

<-- hell on earth with meatballs(Ikea)

beer(which is so much cheaper in Sweden) -->

Tomp
10-27-2011, 03:26 PM
was your English-teacher named Yoda by any chance?

Yes SHE was.

BTW

Thank you all for your welcome

I shall strive to be as disfunctional and socially inept as you guys and gals ;)

Zaela Sedai
10-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Consider yourself officially welcomed to Theoryland Tomp!!! (Kid figured out the train issue (seeing who's paying attention):D )As I'm sure you've noticed, we have a pretty decent community of WoT fanatics over here. One of the ways that we keep it all friendly is a short list of courtesies we ask people to follow and, once in a while, actually do get followed. Imagine that! Insane people following some sort of order!

1) Don't flood the board with multiple THREADS all at once.
Allow us the time to absorb, evaluate, and discuss, OR LAUGH at one or two ideas, OR JOKES at a time. Some of us like to do a little research before responding and that can take a little time. Of course, we also have those others who are just a bit slow. Read that as "just can't handle more than one thought in their heads at once" or "dial-up modem". Your choice. I'd suggest "have a real life", but not likely. Does anyone still have dial up? Wow...it's getting hard to give the slow people an excuse

Addendum to 1) Try to stay on topic.
Going off on tangents can be super fun and is something we are all guilty of your's truly included but try and keep threads on topic unless, 1) the thread is dead or 2) the thread naturally moves over to another topic. This rule is much more lax for joke threads, pop culture threads...etc.

2) Try to back up your opinions & theories.
You'll get a lot more respect if you can. Quotes from the books (of which you CANNOT read too much) are your best weapon. Quotes from interviews are semi-acceptable. Gut feelings are pseudo-acceptable. Whitecloak blind-faith is best submitted while wearing asbestos panties.

3) Feel free to get as emotionally involved as you'd like.
Discussions can get very heated. But try not to take things personally. Remember: we only insult the ones we love. Or the ones we eventually hand over to the Trollocs.

4) Be respectful.
A lot of people have been around Theoryland for a long time. Being a Youngling means you're new around here. We do understand that you may have been reading WoT forever, but if you're gonna pick a fight regarding a WoT theory with someone who's an Elder, Ancient or Hero, understand that they've been around for a while now, and probably have posting friends. And Tamyrlin is Lord of the Board for a reason: this whole place is his brainchild. Keep that in mind. They also have posting enemies.... a good little bit of information to tuck away.

Addendum to 4: This is an international community.
In regards to the Non-WoT discussion groups, please respect the opinions of people from nations and cultures other than your own, even if you disagree with them or the policies of their leaders and politicians. Try to remember that not everyone here has the same outlook or life experience that you might. If you want to send a letter or e-mail to anyone in particular to indicate any specific moral, educational, intellectual, or genetic deficiencies they may have, feel free. Just please don't do it here.

Addendum 1 to Addendum 4: Please no angry profanity.
If you really need to tell someone off, be creative. And replacing characters with @$$ does NOT constitute creativity. I like tend to like the Shakespearean approach myself. The smarter and more subtle you are with it, just makes the person look that much more an idiot.

Addendum 2 to Addendum 4: Please be nice to Newbies.
We were all new at one time you are one right now and there is no need to come down on anyone for asking questions that to the elder community may be basic knowledge. This is for you to remember after you've been here awhile.

Addendum 3 to Addendum 4: Please TRY not to feed the Trolls.
Trust me, it ain't easy at times, but ignore the obvious instigators. Just sit yourself down between the Heroes and Ancients sharpening the WTF Couch sticks. There are many on the board who know how to deal with this breed, leave them to it. It can be quite entertaining. If things get too offensive to the population in general, Mods will intervene. We like to try and use enough wit to neutralize the trollies without help...

5) Please don't use the New Users Forum to recruit.
We have plenty of room in the other forums for begging for support for factions, theories, and the TCA. Please let the newbies look around for a while before taking sides in any pseudo-battles. ~do not feel you MUST click on Lordy's sig links and join just cause he's Lordy... it's not mandatory, butt shhhh! I did not tell you that!

6) Most important: Have Fun!
We do this because we love it and like to think that we are, at least, reasonably intelligent. Hell, some of us have deluded ourselves into believing that we've evolved into supremely intelligent beings! Half the posters here believe that divine supremacy has already come to them! My vote is for Frenzy, and myself, of course. You know the Truth when you see it. Don't let T and her massive bag o' quotes fool you there are always ways to fight back! With your on bag o'quotes of course!

We will assume some intelligence on your part. You found us, didn't you? Until you prove otherwise…and there are many who have, you'll be safe. If you get hurt if you do prove otherwise, I will offer my one free Healing…but just that once. After that you get to meet a special pair of chains, Mwahahahaa

Remember, you EARN your respect here, it's not given out freely and some may never know the pleasure.

Welcome to our little rounded corner! It’s a great time!

Enjoy!
Zaela Sedai, Official Theoryland Greeter, Mistress of Novices

Sarevok
10-31-2011, 02:27 PM
[(Kid figured out the train issue (seeing who's paying attention):D )

*still wondering how the sun got his foot in a train* :p

(or what he'd be doing with a foot in the first place)