PDA

View Full Version : Fan names used in ToM

iaeolan
10-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Hello, HCFFs.
I have been lurking around here on and off for quite awhile and really enjoy the content and discussion. The Interview database is especially noteworthy and I have sunk quite a bit of time digesting what it contains.
I felt compelled to register and post because I can not conjure enough search-fu to find this on my own, and my hopes are that someone can easily find this.
I recall when ToM was still in the process of being written, there was a google doc compilation of Sanderson's tweets regarding what fan names he has randomly selected and inserted into the text. I can't for the life of me find it any more! Theoryland being perhaps the only WoT-related site that effectively uses GDocs so well, my search has been focused here. Unfortunately, two things are not conducive to finding this. First, Google does not index google docs; and second, the forum search is especially loose.
I wanted to find this to get an idea of how many names to expect to be drawn for aMoL.

SauceyBlueConfetti
10-26-2011, 04:18 PM
The last book had names drawn from folks who had contributed to Sanderson's favorite charity, Heifer International.

My name was drawn. And announced. And ended up on the editing floor apparently. :rolleyes:

Terez
10-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Hello, HCFFs.
I have been lurking around here on and off for quite awhile and really enjoy the content and discussion. The Interview database is especially noteworthy and I have sunk quite a bit of time digesting what it contains.
I felt compelled to register and post because I can not conjure enough search-fu to find this on my own, and my hopes are that someone can easily find this.
I recall when ToM was still in the process of being written, there was a google doc compilation of Sanderson's tweets regarding what fan names he has randomly selected and inserted into the text. I can't for the life of me find it any more! Theoryland being perhaps the only WoT-related site that effectively uses GDocs so well, my search has been focused here. Unfortunately, two things are not conducive to finding this. First, Google does not index google docs; and second, the forum search is especially loose.
I wanted to find this to get an idea of how many names to expect to be drawn for aMoL.
The google doc in question was the Future Books doc. The FB category has been revised since TOM is no longer a 'future book', but the old version of the page is linked in the small print (here (https://docs.google.com/View?docID=dcjspjqg_940gdjzszg8&revision=_latest)). The new interview database, which will be available shortly, has links to the ewot profiles for each character.

WinespringBrother
10-26-2011, 04:53 PM
The last book had names drawn from folks who had contributed to Sanderson's favorite charity, Heifer International.

My name was drawn. And announced. And ended up on the editing floor apparently. :rolleyes:

Found on 13th Dep:

Lisa Sommerfeld Somma, Aiel, Use A Pebble

iaeolan
10-26-2011, 05:49 PM
The google doc in question was the Future Books doc. The FB category has been revised since TOM is no longer a 'future book', but the old version of the page is linked in the small print (here (https://docs.google.com/View?docID=dcjspjqg_940gdjzszg8&revision=_latest)). The new interview database, which will be available shortly, has links to the ewot profiles for each character.

That's it, and explains why I couldn't find it.
Thank you very much

Ishara
10-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Found on 13th Dep:

Lisa Sommerfeld Somma, Aiel, Use A Pebble

Use a pebble? Eh?

WinespringBrother
10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Use a pebble? Eh?

lol

["Use a Pebble" was the name of Towers of Midnight, chapter 15, that Somma the Aiel Maiden of the Spear appeared in (named for SBC) and it was apparently a saying of Marin al'Vere's.]

Towers of Midnight CHAPTER: 15 - Use a Pebble
"Theoretically, if Mesaana had this weave in force, she could have taken up the Oath Rod and sworn whatever she wished. 'I vow that I will lie whenever I feel like it' for instance. The Oath Rod would have bound her with that vow, but the weaves would have changed the sounds in the air as they passed her lips. We'd have heard her saying the proper oaths." Egwene gritted her teeth. She'd assumed that defeating the Oath Rod would be difficult. And yet here was a simple weave capable of the feat. She should have known-never use a boulder when a pebble will do, as her mother had often said.

Towers of Midnight CHAPTER: 15 - Use a Pebble
After a moment, Nynaeve noticed Rand, watching her and standing with his arms behind his back, hand clasping his stump. Two Maidens guarded him, a pair of women named Somma and Kanara. Nynaeve finished speaking with the Tairen, but the woman's tearful eyes wrenched her heart. How would she react, if she lost Lan? Light protect him. Please, please protect him, she prayed. She unhooked her coin pouch and sent the woman off with it. Perhaps that would help. Rand stepped up to Nynaeve. "You care for my people. Thank you." "I care for any who need it," Nynaeve said. "As you've always done," Rand said. "Along with caring for some who don't need it." "Like you?" she said, raising an eyebrow. "No, I've always needed it. That and more." Nynaeve hesitated. That wasn't something she'd ever expected him to admit. Why hadn't he gotten rid of that old cloak? It was faded and dull.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-02-2011, 10:40 AM
thanks guys...I actually took the book with me on a train trip this weekend and found that...and wondered if that was me. Now I know :)

Zombie Sammael
11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
thanks guys...I actually took the book with me on a train trip this weekend and found that...and wondered if that was me. Now I know :)

And knowing is half the battle!

(sorry, I couldn't restrain myself)

WinespringBrother
11-02-2011, 12:06 PM

So, keep Rand safe please! :D:eek::p