PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye, TL

Juan
10-27-2011, 12:53 PM
After giving it much thought, I've decided it's time for me to leave TL. True to my beliefs, I believe in posting here only when it benefits me, or when I benefit others. I find that neither is the case. For the most part, I stuck to strictly economic issues, since that is the area I felt mostly at home in--- and tried to avoid debatable social issues since they're much more difficult to prove or disprove.

I don't like arguing for the sake of arguing: I do it because I want to persuade someone, or to be persuaded; I do it to teach something, or learn something. Or both.

Anyway, it seems clear to me that since none of this is the case, I'm just wasting your time and mine. And that is unacceptable. Let's face it, it takes quite a bit of time to read posts and then post yourself. Why waste everyone's time?

Some of you might be thinking it's because of the recent thread in which everyone ganged up on me the reason that I'm leaving. I want to make it clear that is not the case. I said in that thread I was finding it humurous, and I was. I already stated my reasons above of why I'm leaving.

It has been a pleasure (most of the time) posting on here and reading your posts, and it has been a pleasure knowing and talking with many of you. Although we may not have agreed on everything, I always enjoyed our discussions.

No hard feelings to any of you, truly. You guys were like an extended family (probably one of the reasons we all fight so much from time to time). I hope you all keep working hard, and I wish you the best in life.

-Juan

Crispin's Crispian
10-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Sorry to see you go, Juan. We probably disagreed about a lot of stuff, but I'm sorry you feel this way.

As for wasting time... I don't have a lot of room to talk about that.

ShadowbaneX
10-27-2011, 03:33 PM
You're never going to convince many people on the internet that they're wrong about anything. Most people on here like to argue for the principle of it. If you're trying to get them to change their opinion I see either a lot of frustration or a lot of quiet out of you.

Random thought to keep around: there's usually more than one way to do something. Just because your opinions works for you, doesn't mean that they work for everyone else and trying to persuade them that your point of view is the only correct way, likely won't work.

Good luck in your adventures.

Mort
10-27-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't like arguing for the sake of arguing: I do it because I want to persuade someone, or to be persuaded; I do it to teach something, or learn something. Or both.

I guess this is wrong venue for that type of thing. I don't think I have ever seen anyone here change their minds about anything all the years I've been here, except relating to WoT stuff. :)

Sounds rash to quit it altogether, why not just hang at the WoT boards and forget about Non-Wot?

Anyway, good luck to you.

The Unreasoner
10-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Sounds rash to quit it altogether, why not just hang at the WoT boards and forget about Non-Wot?
I said most of what I wanted to say in the PM I sent you, but Mort makes a good point here.

And, what will I do about the TL avatar?
http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=94
You're in there. Do I need to make a new one now?

Davian93
10-27-2011, 08:10 PM
See you when you come back.

The Unreasoner
10-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.
Youngling Rep

Res_Ipsa
10-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Take care, good-luck in whatever endeavors you find yourself pursuing. If you do come back, I would recommend my approach; mostly read WoT/fantasy threads and occasionally comment, and then argue till you are blue in the face in non-wot because you find that fun. Is that weird?

For me, at least with online pursuits, I find it relatively easy to come back to compared to real life pursuits. I wonder why that is.

Davian93
10-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Take care, good-luck in whatever endeavors you find yourself pursuing.

For me, at least with online pursuits, I find it relatively easy to come back to compared to real life pursuits. I wonder why that is.

Its nothing personal towards Juan...but he'll come back whether its under this name or a new name. We get these "I'm leaving" threads every so often after a dustup and its very, very rare that people stay gone for good...especially people that posted as heavily as he does.

So...see you when you come back, Juan.

The Unreasoner
10-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Well, TL may not last long after AMoL is released. Some may wait for the Encyclopedia, but if enough people leave, it won't matter.

Mort
10-27-2011, 08:26 PM

That's because things on the internet aren't real.

Davian93
10-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Well, TL may not last long after AMoL is released. Some may wait for the Encyclopedia, but if enough people leave, it won't matter.

This started off as a Buffy site...we'll figure something out.

The Unreasoner
10-27-2011, 08:50 PM
That's because things on the internet aren't real.
If you think things on the internet aren't real...

Res_Ipsa
10-27-2011, 09:02 PM
This started off as a Buffy site

Seriously?

Davian93
10-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Seriously?

Seriously, it was originally a Buffy/WoT joint site...that was 4 or 5 iterations ago though.

Terez
10-27-2011, 09:15 PM
I guess this is wrong venue for that type of thing. I don't think I have ever seen anyone here change their minds about anything all the years I've been here, except relating to WoT stuff. :)
I have seen a lot of beliefs change, including my own, but Theoryland changes to the left, not to the right.

The Unreasoner
10-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Seriously, it was originally a Buffy/WoT joint site...that was 4 or 5 iterations ago though.
Wait, I thought you were kidding too.
LMFAO
to the Internet Wayback Machine...

Davian93
10-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Wait, I thought you were kidding too.
LMFAO
to the Internet Wayback Machine...

http://web.archive.org/web/20000407192157/http://www.theoryland.com/

Theoryland on April 7, 2000.

The Unreasoner
10-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Mat's Amulet Protects Him From The OP by Tamyrlin
Thom Will Wed Moiraine by Dragon Thief

Lol. Two factions new at the time. The true ones out of the five new. I'm a little surprised at the first though. We didn't know that by WH?

Davian93
10-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Lol. Two factions new at the time. The true ones out of the five new. I'm a little surprised at the first though. We didn't know that by WH?

It might have meant True Power, not One Power...dont recall specifically. I think there was also a question as to whether it protected him from both saidar and saidin for a while...and not just saidar.

The Unreasoner
10-27-2011, 09:50 PM
As you enter you notice a strange silence in the room. Off to your left next to the "Factions" door white cloaked Younglings are pacing back and forth, softly chanting the words, "Firseal, Firseal, Firseal". Next to them attached to the wall is a glass covered case that holds various old parchments titled History and War. When you look away, out of the corner of your eye,it appears as though a shadow stands next to the glass case...a shadow out of place. You step deeper into the room and notice a booth to your right where others like yourself are signing their name in a large black book. Behind the booth an old white haired man sits,a pipe hanging from his lips, watching them as he slowly pulls on his beard. Standing in line you sign the paper and receive an appraising look from the old man as he points you toward the large portal stone in the middle of the room. "You are now ready to face the Board," he says with a smile, "good luck".
???

Davian93
10-27-2011, 09:51 PM
???

You'd have to be familiar with Firseal to understand.

The Unreasoner
10-27-2011, 10:07 PM
So I read a few of his posts...
Is Theorylandgod Tamyrlin? Where? (I'm basing this entirely on the metaphysical interests and the use of 'heh', as there are no titles for everything he said).

Anyway, that weird intro is better than Kryptos's Part 4 (at least in the sense that I might actually figure it out). It definitely merits further research on my part.

ShadowbaneX
10-27-2011, 10:17 PM
This started off as a Buffy site...we'll figure something out.

Nah, it started off as WoT. Angel/Buffy got added or at least there was the intention of added them but I never saw any discussion for them. Then that thing was removed and it went back to being just WoT again.

Uno
10-27-2011, 10:19 PM
That's right. It did not start out as a bleedin' Buffy site. Tamyrlin tried to start a Buffy section in 2000-or-so-ish, as I recall, but that never got off the ground, you scunners. Also, Spidy's looking over my shoulder, which explains why I'm so drunk I can barely see at the mo'.

Frenzy
10-27-2011, 10:31 PM
That's right. It did not start out as a bleedin' Buffy site. Tamyrlin tried to start a Buffy section in 2000-or-so-ish, as I recall, but that never got off the ground, you scunners. Also, Spidy's looking over my shoulder, which explains why I'm so drunk I can barely see at the mo'.

lay of the Absinthe for a moment and think about it... TL circa 2000 was at least 18 months old. Anything pre-2000 is just.... freaky, right?

yay freaks!!

Mort
10-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Speaking of Buffy, they have started a rerun of that series over here. I catched an episode by chance, season 2. Some halloween episode where everyone became what they dressed up as :)

I can't believe I watched that show. It was never that good. Often pretty terrible, some good laughs but otherwise pretty meh.

ShadowbaneX
10-27-2011, 10:53 PM
it had it's moments...most of them had Sarah Michelle Gellar in them. Or that one episode with the Vampire Willow. Actually, Vampire Willow was in two episodes.

Bryan Blaire
10-27-2011, 11:15 PM
I'll chime in, nah, TL started as WoT exclusively, and man was it bizarre. And it didn't take us long to make it weirder with Nine-Horse Hitch and Twin Towers. :D

Speaking of SMG, anyone been watching Ringer? Really don't know what to think of the show, other than it isn't that great.

Bye Juan! Have a good break!

Mort
10-27-2011, 11:17 PM
I liked Spike (no homo). I know a lot of people didn't. The show got better with him in it.

yks 6nnetu hing
10-28-2011, 02:49 AM
Its nothing personal towards Juan...but he'll come back whether its under this name or a new name. We get these "I'm leaving" threads every so often after a dustup and its very, very rare that people stay gone for good...especially people that posted as heavily as he does.

So...see you when you come back, Juan.

Unless they leave as Ancients. No idea why but Ancients just disappear and a lot of them never come back :confused:

Terez
10-28-2011, 04:57 AM
Unless they leave as Ancients. No idea why but Ancients just disappear and a lot of them never come back :confused:
I think the idea that Ancients do this more often than those of other ranks is a Grand Theoryland Myth.

Zombie Sammael
10-28-2011, 05:18 AM
I can confirm that when Gnat (or was it even Blaise?) first joined, it was NOT a Buffy site. The Buffy part appeared but never got any discussion, I expect because Buffy wasn't exactly designed for the deep-level speculation WOT promotes.

As for TL dying after AMOL, I sure hope not. There is far too much still to be discussed.

GonzoTheGreat
10-28-2011, 06:16 AM
I think that the main problem was that Shaidar Haran wasn't around, yet. Now that he is, Buffy would totally shack up with him.
Would it take her more than one episode to deal with a gholam?

Davian93
10-28-2011, 06:59 AM
I think the idea that Ancients do this more often than those of other ranks is a Grand Theoryland Myth.

I think we just notice it more when Ancients do it because they normally have put in a couple of years of regular posting so its fairly odd if they just fall off the map like that.

Mort
10-28-2011, 07:09 AM
I don't get the whole "taking a break" thing either.

I have a lot of stuff going on so I will take a break from TL, and I have to tell everyone about it?

Just leave and come back when you got time, dude. And seriously, it doesn't take that much time scanning TL. :)

Sarevok
10-28-2011, 08:06 AM
I think the main reason we notice ancients leaving, is because we know them. A Youngling or Elder is relatively new, so the other regular posters haven't really talked to the person.

yks 6nnetu hing
10-28-2011, 08:10 AM
I think the main reason we notice ancients leaving, is because we know them. A Youngling or Elder is relatively new, so the other regular posters haven't really talked to the person.

there's that. But what I was aiming at is that often an Ancient leaves within a few months of being Raised. It might have nothing at all to do with the Raising, but still. anyways, a lot of them come back eventually. I saw Cor Shan around the other day... Still miss adbf though.

Kimon
10-28-2011, 11:51 AM
I liked Spike (no homo). I know a lot of people didn't. The show got better with him in it.

Spike was there from pretty early on - beginning of Season 2. And who doesn't like Spike? He was a great character on both Buffy and Angel. Certainly Angel got much better once he, Wesley, and Fred joined that cast. On a tangential note, both he (well James Marsters) and Charisma Carpenter made guest appearances recently on Supernatural. Here's hoping that they both make reappearances - neither died, and both were pretty bad-ass in the episode.

Still, for the best Whedon shows, got to stick to Firefly and Dr Horrible. They were both short-lived enough that they never went through the lulls that Buffy and Angel experienced due to their longevity.

Davian93
10-28-2011, 11:56 AM
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldhmnxdQel1qz4btio1_500.jpg

Bryan Blaire
10-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Someone smack Dav in the head with something really heavy...

Davian93
10-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Someone smack Dav in the head with something really heavy...

This one is my favorite:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd183/Tidybeard/do_or_do_not_there_is_no_try_dumbledore.jpg

Gilshalos Sedai
10-28-2011, 12:18 PM

On that, I'll agree with you.

Gilshalos Sedai
10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
This one is my favorite:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd183/Tidybeard/do_or_do_not_there_is_no_try_dumbledore.jpg

Here, dear.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001684349/1926375957_brick_xlarge.jpeg

Davian93
10-28-2011, 12:27 PM
My work firewall is blocking your image.

Bryan Blaire
10-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Someone got his deflector shields set full-forward quickly...

Sei'taer
10-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Someone got his deflector shields set full-forward quickly...

They better be something besides Star Trek shields. You break that brick into three pieces and you'd be through that shield by that second throw.

Crispin's Crispian
10-28-2011, 02:57 PM
They better be something besides Star Trek shields. You break that brick into three pieces and you'd be through that shield by that second throw.

"Berry good. But brick no hit back!"

http://www.fandamme.net/movies/bloodsport/bloodsport06.jpg

frenchie
10-28-2011, 06:00 PM
"Berry good. But brick no hit back!"

http://www.fandamme.net/movies/bloodsport/bloodsport06.jpg

Sad to think that the actor in the movie is a more legit martial artist than the person he's playing.

The Unreasoner
11-16-2011, 10:02 PM
So, TL, I'll be gone for a bit. Don't get your hopes up though, I'll be back. There are just a few things in my personal life and professional life that I need to take care of first. Discussion has been pretty slow lately, so I doubt I'll miss much.

Maybe I got a little ticked over a few independent issues, but I'm sure I'll get over it. I wouldn't have brought my leaving up at all, but I may need to bump a few threads when I get back, to argue a point or two. You know, if some wackjob comes up with a 'Taim is a Darkfriend' theory that I need to rebut. So, yeah.

Have fun, TL

n00b for life,
troll on probation,
The Unreasoner

Davian93
11-17-2011, 08:44 AM
See you in a bit.

Zombie Sammael
11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
I would like to state that, despite rumours to the contrary, I have not gone anywhere. I am still here, I'm just a bit quieter than usual because I'm doing a different kind of work that requires me to effectively switch off my internet connection.

Hope everything works out well for you, Unreasoner! I hope to see you back soon, you will be missed, at least by some (well, me)!

Matoyak
11-21-2011, 09:40 PM
there's that. But what I was aiming at is that often an Ancient leaves within a few months of being Raised. It might have nothing at all to do with the Raising, but still. anyways, a lot of them come back eventually. I saw Cor Shan around the other day... Still miss adbf though.I think I waited a good year or so before I fell off the map. :)

I think the main thing is that by the time you hit Ancient status, your life has changed by quite a bit due to the length of time it takes to get to ancient, and the time you have to dedicate to certain things has changed a good amount.

At least, that's how it was for me. Granted, I joined TL as an 8th grader at age 14...college and work has been added to my plate since then :p

See ya 'round, Unreasoner, and hope things work out for ya :)