PDA

View Full Version : My tiny little TN town...

Sei'taer
10-27-2011, 01:46 PM
My hometown made national news!!

The high school football coach. He resigned for what seems to me to be a pretty pathetic attempt at potty-mouth, but then I'm an admitted potty-mouth pro.

Prep Coach Resigns (http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Prep-coach-resigns-after-profane-rant-leaked-on-?urn=highschool-wp7695)

After you read the article, listen to the rant. It doesn't sound all that horrific to me.

fdsaf3
10-27-2011, 01:53 PM
He resigned for that?

Wow, I'm glad cell phone recording technology wasn't around when I played varsity sports in high school. I've sat through longer and much harsher rants than that. I'm sure the athletes in that locker room have, too.

I don't endorse coaches berating athletes, and yes, there is a line. Maybe he crossed it, maybe he didn't. I haven't made up my mind yet. But I do know that as far as that rant goes, it isn't nearly the worst I've ever heard or been a part of.

Zombie Sammael
10-27-2011, 01:58 PM
I would be concerned not so much that that is his pre-game talk but that the kids who aren't in the team might be exposed to the same kind of thing, which is completely inappropriate. I think we had the discussion about the way PE is taught in schools before.

fdsaf3
10-27-2011, 02:08 PM
I would be concerned not so much that that is his pre-game talk but that the kids who aren't in the team might be exposed to the same kind of thing, which is completely inappropriate. I think we had the discussion about the way PE is taught in schools before.

Yeah, I wonder what he's like as a teacher. The article said he's an AP calc/precalc teacher. The same thing happened at my school. The football coach was the calc teacher for a while, until word got out that he was a subpar AP calculus teacher. I don't remember hearing he was verbally abusive or anything, just that he probably shouldn't have been teaching the AP students.

Another thought that I had is that as a player on that team, I'd find out who recorded that speech and beat his ass. Not to sound all "internet tough guy", but whoever violated the sanctity of the locker room and the bond of the team like that deserves at the least to be shunned and ostracized by the rest of the team. I'm big on teammates being brothers - not everyone has to get along, but you solve all problems internally. When things like this get out, it's an obvious breakdown in that bond. Whoever recorded that and leaked it broke that trust and deserves to be punished accordingly.

Crispin's Crispian
10-27-2011, 02:23 PM
LOL... "Go f**kin' play golf!"

Yeah, I don't think resigning was really in order, but it was a pretty crappy motivational speech. I don't care so much about the swearing--any idiot knows high school kids know more dirty words than anyone. He just comes off sounding like an angry 12 year-old.

Sei'taer
10-27-2011, 02:54 PM
LOL... "Go f**kin' play golf!"

Yeah, I don't think resigning was really in order, but it was a pretty crappy motivational speech. I don't care so much about the swearing--any idiot knows high school kids know more dirty words than anyone. He just comes off sounding like an angry 12 year-old.

That was the best line in the whole rant! lol

I've heard way worse when I played and said way worse to this day. And I agree with fdasf, whoever posted it would be in trouble with the rest if the team.

Mort
10-27-2011, 04:30 PM
I heard worse in Friday Night Lights. And if it's okay with FNL, it's okay with me :)

Had this been junior high or lower, I'd bother about a coach screaming like that if I were a parent. But these people are highschool students.

Most important thing of all: Did they win? :)