PDA

View Full Version : Aes Sedai and babies

yks 6nnetu hing
10-28-2011, 04:31 AM
It's been established that channeling the One Power does not make Aes Sedai infertile. Rather, it is discouraged to have babies as it is emotionally very hard to outlive one's offspring.

However, I'm wondering: if Channeling slows ageing, does it also slow the menses? Or, seeing as females are born with way more eggs than they can possibly "use" in one lifetime, the slowing just puts off the menopause and AS continue ovulating "as normal" until... er... they run out?

Also, I've just come across this quote:

TITLE: Crown of Swords
CHAPTER: 9 - A Pair of Silverpike
Leane, on the other hand, in true Aes Sedai fashion embraced what had changed. A young woman again— Egwene had overheard a Yellow exclaiming in wonder that both were prime childbearing age, by everything she could find—she might never have been Keeper, never have had any other face. The very image of practicality and efficiency became the ideal of an indolent and alluring Domani woman. Even her riding dress was cut in the style of her native land, and no matter that its silk, so thin it barely seemed opaque, was as impractical as the pale green color for traveling dusty roads. Told that having been stilled had broken all ties and associations, Leane had chosen the Green Ajah over a return to the Blue. Changing Ajahs was not done, but then, no one had been stilled and then Healed before, either. Siuan had gone right back into the Blue, grumbling over the idiotic need to "entreat and appeal for acceptance" as the formal phrase went.

If a Yellow was exclaiming that they're of "prime childbearing age" I would take that to mean that before they were stilled, they were not of prime childbearing age? This considering that for AS, Siuan at least is/was very much on the young side.

I wonder if the Oaths have anything to do with it, seeing as physiologically it's pretty bizarre if certain bits simply re-grew. Then again, miraculous youngening (is that a word?) has only happened the once that we know and it's not fully explained what exactly did happen, physiologically speaking. Comparing the AS to other groups that channel, I don't have any quotes at hand so I don't know for sure but I got the feeling that the Wise Ones at least procreate throughout their lives (thinking of Sorilea, mainly. But also Melaine. How old is she, btw?)

Thoughts?

GonzoTheGreat
10-28-2011, 04:54 AM
Samitsu is quite sure that she is of child bearing age, since she offers to bear Damer Flinn's child. Which, I have to admit, is not very useful, as we do not know how old Samitsu is.
However, we do know that Cadsuane is well aware of her ability as a Healer, which suggests (though it doesn't prove it) that Samitsu was already AS when Cadsuane was still active.

WinespringBrother
10-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Apparently Aes Sedai are of child bearing age for a long time. Lews Therin was middle aged for a 2nd age Aes Sedai (400 years old) and still had very young children (not sure how old Ilyena was however or even if she was a channeler but it seems highly likely that she was since she earned a 3rd name and was married to LTT for 60 years yet still looked young)

Eye of the World CHAPTER: Prologue - Dragonmount
His howl beat at the walls, the howl of a man who had discovered his soul damned by his own hand, and he clawed at his face as if to tear away the sight of what he had done. Everywhere he looked his eyes found the dead. Torn they were, or broken or burned, or half-consumed by stone. Everywhere lay lifeless faces he knew, faces he loved. Old servants and friends of his childhood, faithful companions through the long years of battle. And his children. His own sons and daughters, sprawled like broken dolls, play stilled forever. All slain by his hand. His children's faces accused him, blank eyes asking why, and his tears were no answer. The Betrayer's laughter flogged him, drowned out his howls. He could not bear the faces, the pain. He could not bear to remain any longer. Desperately he reached out to the True Source, to tainted saidin, and he Traveled.

Towers of Midnight CHAPTER: 51 - A Testing
"Well, boy," Cadsuane finally said. "You-" "Are you ever going to give up that affectation, Cadsuane Sedai?" Rand asked. "Calling me boy? I no longer mind, though it does feel odd. I was four hundred years old on the day I died during the Age of Legends. I suspect that would make you my junior by several decades at the least. I show you respect. Perhaps it would be appropriate for you to return it. If you wish, you may call me Rand Sedai. I am, so far as I know, the only male Aes Sedai still alive who was properly raised but who never turned to the Shadow." Cadsuane paled visibly.

The World of Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time
CHAPTER: Lanfear
It is certain that Lews Therin and Mierin were involved with one another for a short time, and that Lews Therin broke off the relationship some years before the drilling of the Bore, partly because she loved her association with the great Lews Therin more than she loved the man, and partly because she saw him as a path to power for herself. Mierin was never willing to accept that break and continued a determined pursuit of him. When Lews Therin, after rejecting Mierin, married Ilyena Moerelle Dalisar, about fifty years before the beginning of the War of the Shadow, Mierin reached her flash point. She attempted to disrupt the wedding ceremony and over the following year made several blatant public approaches to Lews Therin, blaming Ilyena for her “loss” of him. Shortly after this she embraced the Shadow. She never gave up on claiming Lews Therin eventually; he was the object of a number of plots by the Forsaken, mainly to capture or turn him in some way,and she was in the forefront of almost all of these.

Eye of the World CHR: Prologue - Dragonmount
Lews Therin Telamon wandered the palace, deftly keeping his balance when the earth heaved. "Ilyena! My love, where are you?" The edge of his pale gray cloak trailed through blood as he stepped across the body of a woman, her golden-haired beauty marred by the horror of her last moments, her still-open eyes frozen in disbelief. "Where are you, my wife? Where is everyone hiding?"

yks 6nnetu hing
10-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Apparently Aes Sedai are of child bearing age for a long time. Lews Therin was middle aged for a 2nd age Aes Sedai (400 years old) and still had very young children (not sure how old Ilyena was however or even if she was a channeler but it seems highly likely that she was since she earned a 3rd name and was married to LTT for 60 years yet still looked young)

so the fact that a Yellow is exclaiming in wonder would point to the effects of the Oaths?

Davian93
10-28-2011, 08:45 AM
so the fact that a Yellow is exclaiming in wonder would point to the effects of the Oaths?

Or that current AS are completely ignornant of the entire process due to its rarity. We've yet to meet an AS with children or even hear of one really...at least a 3rd Age one. They very well might believe that they can't have kids after a certain period of time.

Makes you wonder about if they still have menstral cycles though. Someone should ask Brandon about this and preferably video tape it so we can see his facial expression.

yks 6nnetu hing
10-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Or that current AS are completely ignornant of the entire process due to its rarity. We've yet to meet an AS with children or even hear of one really...at least a 3rd Age one. They very well might believe that they can't have kids after a certain period of time.

Makes you wonder about if they still have menstral cycles though. Someone should ask Brandon about this and preferably video tape it so we can see his facial expression.

"when Aes Sedai slow ageing, do they also slow their menstrual cycles? Or does that continue as normal or stop completely as the agelessness sets on?"

WinespringBrother
10-28-2011, 08:51 AM

I'm not sure. There could be other factors in play that favored 2nd Age channelers over 3rd Agers (which probably go beyond the scope of the books LOL) such as specialty weaves, medical procedures, and drugs available in the Age of Legends that are not around in the current age.

Or it could be that the subject is taboo amongst privacy favoring Aes Sedai and may have never been brought up due to being a breach of protocol that wouldn't apply any longer with Leane no longer being able to channel.

yks 6nnetu hing
10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm not sure. There could be other factors in play that favored 2nd Age channelers over 3rd Agers (which probably go beyond the scope of the books LOL) such as specialty weaves, medical procedures, and drugs available in the Age of Legends that are not around in the current age.

Or it could be that the subject is taboo amongst privacy favoring Aes Sedai and may have never been brought up due to being a breach of protocol that wouldn't apply any longer with Leane no longer being able to channel.

that's exclaiming in wonder bit is in COS, after they've been Healed and can channel again.

Davian93
10-28-2011, 09:04 AM
"when Aes Sedai slow ageing, do they also slow their menstrual cycles? Or does that continue as normal or stop completely as the agelessness sets on?"

I think its worth asking. We KNOW from the books that a 400 year old AS can still impregnate a woman and that Ilyena was fairly up in age herself and still giving birth. Thus, it points to the Oath Rod as a possible issue...or just ignorance by the Yellows.

WinespringBrother
10-28-2011, 09:22 AM
that's exclaiming in wonder bit is in COS, after they've been Healed and can channel again.

Good point. Perhaps it would have been a breach of protocol under normal circumstances to diagnose and/or speak of Leane's fertility, but not in this case, since Siuan and Leane had already been Nynaeve's guinea pigs for so long before their healing, not to mention that S&L were both so low on the Aes Sedai food chain after being healed.

yks 6nnetu hing
10-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Good point. Perhaps it would have been a breach of protocol under normal circumstances to diagnose and/or speak of Leane's fertility, but not in this case, since Siuan and Leane had already been Nynaeve's guinea pigs for so long before their healing, not to mention that S&L were both so low on the Aes Sedai food chain after being healed.

Quite. And at the same time the fertility of someone who can't channel woudn't necessarily occasion any comment, plus there's the old AS aversion to discussing Stilled Aes Sedai, which might be why it wasn't mentioned before.

confused at birth
10-28-2011, 01:14 PM
stilled Aes Sedai are pretty much told to go and have children as a way of staying alive so they now being As Sedai doesnt stop them being able to have children.

Wat was it about men not being with aes Sedai because of the power difference? maybe they just are so annoying that it is rare for one of them to have sex.

Not including warders in this as they spend to much time on horses to still function:D

arioch
10-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Not sure Elayne has started slowing, but she does remark in one of her POVs that her cycle had shifted by a week to match Birgitte's after bonding her Warder.

Of the Wondergirls I believe only Nynaeve has definitely been stated to have started slowing, because she has been channelling on her own (even sporadically) for years.

Destrina
10-28-2011, 09:09 PM
The oath rod was intended as a (more or less) punishment in the AoL for those that for some reason could not fit into their peaceful almost utopian society. It could have many side effects, besides cutting your life in half.

Eltheriond
10-28-2011, 09:47 PM
I have always viewed the AS as being like nuns in our world - perfectly "functional" women, but just due to tradition (for the most part) not having "relations" with men.

However, I seem to recall (cannot remember exactly where) a quote about some Greens marrying their Warders...one can pretty safely assume that because they are married they are in a sexual relationship as well. I believe that the Oath Rod is probably to blame, as has been pointed out the Oath Rod was used in the AOL as a punishment for criminals et al for forcing them to behave and shortening their lifespan...would it so much of a stretch to also think that the Oath Rod causes infertility (for so long as an oath is active)? It could be an unintended side-effect, but part of me suspects that it is an INTENTIONAL side-effect of the Oath Rod, almost as a eugenics program. Someone breaks the order of society, you punish them, and make sure they don't pass on their "defective" genetic material?

Just a thought...

arioch
10-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Aes Sedai can bear children, though.

Isabel
10-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Some thing to consider, Jordan sometimes wanted to reinforce things he said before.

In this case he might just wanted to show that she was younger again ;)

Kimon
10-29-2011, 12:38 AM
I wonder if the Oaths have anything to do with it, seeing as physiologically it's pretty bizarre if certain bits simply re-grew. Then again, miraculous youngening (is that a word?) has only happened the once that we know and it's not fully explained what exactly did happen, physiologically speaking.

Rejuvenation.

@Eltheriond
If the oath rod does create infertility, it would have to be temporary rather than permanent, considering the case of Martine Janata, aka Setalle Anan. RJ did have an interview where he was asked this back in 1995, but his answer was a predictable RAFO.

East of the Sun Con, Stockholm, Sweden June 1995 - Karl-Johan Norén reporting

On the subject if the Oath Rod shortens lifespan or cause infertility he answered, not surprisingly, "Read and Find Out".

The first part of that query has been answered by RAFOing, the relevant part unfortunately has not, or at least not fully. It is surprising that we never see any Aes Sedai bearing children, or speaking of having done so in the past, but we do have a mention, by Verin no less, of their ability to do so. The Whites raised the plan of having severed men used as breeders with non-channeling women in hopes of producing more channelers, and Verin suggested that it would be more practical for Aes Sedai to bear their children. It might simply be that Aes Sedai do occasionally become pregnant, and protocol requires that they make themselves inconspicuous for a few months, then give the kid up for adoption, perhaps to a relative. We know that many Aes Sedai (at least non-Whites and Browns) are absent from Tar Valon for long periods, so hiding unwanted pregnancies wouldn't be difficult. Either that, or their birth control (heartleaf?) is very reliable.

GonzoTheGreat
10-29-2011, 04:57 AM
As for AS having the ability to bear children, I think that can be taken for granted:
"Not coincidental at all," Verin replied. "Ah, the tea water is ready." The water subsided from a boil as she began to bustle about, tossing a handful of leaves into the kettle, directing Faile to find metal cups in one of the bundles against the wall. Alanna, with her arms folded beneath her breasts, never took her eyes off Perrin, their heat conflicting with the coolness of her face. "Year by year," Verin continued, "we find fewer and fewer girls who can be taught to channel. Sheriam believes we may have spent the last three thousand years culling the ability out of humankind by gentling every man who can channel we find. The proof of it, she says, is how very few men we do find. Why, even a hundred years ago the records say there were two or three a year, and five hundred years —"
Alanna harrumphed. "What else can we do, Verin? Let them go insane? Follow the Whites' mad plan?"
"I think not," Verin replied calmly. "Even if we could find women willing to bear children by gentled men, there is no guarantee the children would be able to channel, or would be girls. I did suggest that if they wanted to increase the stock, Aes Sedai should be the ones to have the children; themselves, in fact, since they put it forward in the first place. Alviarin was not amused."
"She would not be," Alanna laughed. The sudden flash of delight, breaking her fiery, dark-eyed stare, was startling. "I wish I could have seen her face."
"Her expression was... interesting, " the Brown sister said musingly. "Calm yourself, Perrin. I will give you the rest of your answer. Tea?"

Davian93
10-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Not sure Elayne has started slowing, but she does remark in one of her POVs that her cycle had shifted by a week to match Birgitte's after bonding her Warder.

Of the Wondergirls I believe only Nynaeve has definitely been stated to have started slowing, because she has been channelling on her own (even sporadically) for years.

In Elayne's case, that's a not uncommon phenomenon that occurs with women that are very close/spend a large amount of time together. In her specific case, the bond obviously played a part but even close female friends see it happen in the RW without a bond.

yks 6nnetu hing
10-31-2011, 09:37 AM
As for AS having the ability to bear children, I think that can be taken for granted:

yes. The question is: is the rate of ovulation slowed in AS similarly to the rate of ageing is slowed? (consequently: I wonder if AS have menopauses that last 100 years :eek: that would explain quite a lot)

Theoretically, if channeling slows only pshysical ageing, then women who can channel could produce hundreds of offspring in their lifetimes. Now, if the ovulation rate slows as well though, it becomes much more difficult for an AS to get pregnant but the number of potential offspring stays closer to normal/per one lifetime.

Is there any mention anywhere how they treat the channeler's procreating in Shara? I seem to remember something, but I think that was only about marriage/relationship regulation, not procreation. Since Damane are so reviled I find it a bit tenuous that they're purposefully breeded. The Sul'dam, on the other hand are very prestigeous and I seem to remember a mention that if a baby is born to a Sul'dam, that turns out to be a Damane, then that baby will be disowned. Or maybe I extrapolated that from how newly discovered Damane are treated. In any case, the question I'm trying to raise here: is channeling being culled only in Randland? If no other region has the same procreation rules/taboos, then how come we don't hear of immensely powerful (Forsaken level) channelers from outside?

WinespringBrother
10-31-2011, 10:06 AM
yes. The question is: is the rate of ovulation slowed in AS similarly to the rate of ageing is slowed? (consequently: I wonder if AS have menopauses that last 100 years :eek: that would explain quite a lot)

Theoretically, if channeling slows only pshysical ageing, then women who can channel could produce hundreds of offspring in their lifetimes. Now, if the ovulation rate slows as well though, it becomes much more difficult for an AS to get pregnant but the number of potential offspring stays closer to normal/per one lifetime.

Is there any mention anywhere how they treat the channeler's procreating in Shara? I seem to remember something, but I think that was only about marriage/relationship regulation, not procreation. Since Damane are so reviled I find it a bit tenuous that they're purposefully breeded. The Sul'dam, on the other hand are very prestigeous and I seem to remember a mention that if a baby is born to a Sul'dam, that turns out to be a Damane, then that baby will be disowned. Or maybe I extrapolated that from how newly discovered Damane are treated. In any case, the question I'm trying to raise here: is channeling being culled only in Randland? If no other region has the same procreation rules/taboos, then how come we don't hear of immensely powerful (Forsaken level) channelers from outside?

It might have been mentioned in the BWB, that in Shara, children of male channelers (Ayyad IIRC) are killed. Don't recall anything about children of female channelers.

Sarevok
10-31-2011, 10:47 AM
In any case, the question I'm trying to raise here: is channeling being culled only in Randland? If no other region has the same procreation rules/taboos, then how come we don't hear of immensely powerful (Forsaken level) channelers from outside?

My guess would be that, at least in Seanchan, the same kind of breeding out channeling as in Randland is happening. Considering how damane are considered hardly more than animals, I'd bet breeding with one would probably be considered bestiality. :eek:

GonzoTheGreat
10-31-2011, 10:54 AM
I can't remember any mention of the children of either sul'dam or damane. Though, with Fortuona being a sul'dam, I don't think there's any problem there.
The Ayyad are tattooed on their faces at birth. Someone who is discovered to channel later in life, presumed to be the result of a union between one of their ancestors and an Ayyad, is seized, tattooed, and confined to an Ayyad village for the rest of his or her life.

Sexual congress between Ayyad and non-Ayyad is punishable by death for the non-Ayyad, and for the Ayyad if it can be proven the Ayyad forced the other. Any child of such a union is killed by exposure to the elements.

Normally only female Ayyad ever leave the villages, though there are two exceptions to this rule. Male Ayyad are kept completely cloistered. It is forbidden to teach a male Ayyad to read, write, or do much of anything else beyond feeding and dressing himself and simple chores. Male Ayyad are considered breeding stock for female Ayyad. The Ayyad maintain detailed records of each bloodline in much the way the Cairhienin record the pedigrees of their pure-blooded horses.

Daughters are raised by their mothers, but sons are raised communally. Apparently these boys are never called “sons” among the Ayyad, only “the male.” When the boy reaches the age of approximately sixteen, he is taken from his confinement, hooded, and transported inside a closed wagon to a distant village, thus never seeing anything outside the villages. Once in his new village he will be matched with one or more women who wish children. Around his twenty-first year - or sooner if he shows signs of beginning to channel - he is once more hooded and taken away, as if on his way to another village. Instead he is killed and the body cremated.If left to go on long enough, such a scheme could produce a new species.

GonzoTheGreat
10-31-2011, 10:58 AM
My guess would be that, at least in Seanchan, the same kind of breeding out channeling as in Randland is happening. Considering how damane are considered hardly more than animals, I'd bet breeding with one would probably be considered bestiality. :eek:Good guess:
"That is very kind of you," she said. "It's good to know you are kind to damans. But you must be careful. There are men who actually take damane to their beds." Her full mouth twisted in disgust. "You would not want anyone to think you are perverted." That severe expression settled on her face again. All prisoners would be executed immediately.

fdsaf3
10-31-2011, 01:43 PM
I always thought it was strange that Greens were well-known to have relations with men (including their Warders), and yet I've never heard of an Aes Sedai getting pregnant. Not to be too lewd, but I see only a few possibilities:

1. The Aes Sedai know a weave which prevents pregnancy.

2. "Over the counter" (i.e. available to everyone in Randland) contraception is 100% effective.

3. Part of the process in being raised to an Aes Sedai in the current Age (the testing process, swearing the Oaths) causes an Aes Sedai to become infertile.

Pure conjecture: how do we know that swearing on the Oath Rod doesn't remove a woman's ability to procreate? Thanks to the quotes provided so far, we know that simply channeling doesn't prevent a woman from bearing children (i.e. Ilyena), but I can't recall a woman who swore on the Oath Rod having children. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Zombie Sammael
10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
I always thought it was strange that Greens were well-known to have relations with men (including their Warders), and yet I've never heard of an Aes Sedai getting pregnant. Not to be too lewd, but I see only a few possibilities:

2. "Over the counter" (i.e. available to everyone in Randland) contraception is 100% effective.

3. Part of the process in being raised to an Aes Sedai in the current Age (the testing process, swearing the Oaths) causes an Aes Sedai to become infertile.

Pure conjecture: how do we know that swearing on the Oath Rod doesn't remove a woman's ability to procreate? Thanks to the quotes provided so far, we know that simply channeling doesn't prevent a woman from bearing children (i.e. Ilyena), but I can't recall a woman who swore on the Oath Rod having children. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

If the Oath Rod not only takes away free will, not only reduces lifespan, but also makes people infertile, it's starting to look like a very cruel and unusual punishment indeed.

fdsaf3
10-31-2011, 04:44 PM

Imagine the gestation period. You'd be pregnant for years before finally having the baby. (Assuming, of course, that the slowing effect on aging due to channeling has the sort of slowing effect on the underlying physiological properties necessary, i.e. ovulation, menstruation, gestation, etc.)

Kimon
10-31-2011, 09:06 PM

I wonder if we might however be able to extrapolate the likelihood of a pregnancy by an historic Aes Sedai, who would have been bound (presumably at least) by the Oaths. We know that Ellisande (also called Eldrene) was an Aes Sedai, and that she was married to the last king of Manetheren. Her full name was Eldrene ay Ellan ay Carlan, and her husband's name was Aemon al Caar al Thorin. Now we can't be certain that she bore him sons and daughters, but those names have been passed along - as we see Ayallan (and Ayellin) as a still common cognomen in the Two Rivers, and of course, the last scion of House Al Thor just happened to end up as the adoptive father of Rand. They could of course have descended from kin of the king and his queen, but the survival of those names does at least raise the possibility of a line (well lines) that stretched back directly to Ellisande.

Eltheriond
11-01-2011, 12:18 AM
The whole question of the Oath Rod I feel could have been answered by now, by none-other than Rand himself. Personally, if I suddenly came under the full faculties of all my 400+ years of memories, which presumably included information about the Oath Rod (needs a channeler to work, of course), and I found out that the woman who was carrying my babies, and some of my closest friends were WILLING to restrict their lives, as well as any other side-effects that may occur from using the Oath Rod, I would probably IMMEDIATELY be telling people to stop using the Oath Rod, and get people who HAVE sworn to release themselves from the Oaths.

...Seriously, Rand probably knows all about the Oath Rod by this point, and I know he has been busy, but WHY hasn't he said anything yet? Even something along the lines of "I don't understand why you would choose to punish yourselves just for being Aes Sedai."

I hold onto the hope that Rand will mention it in the last book though.

Weird Harold
11-01-2011, 01:11 AM
We know that Ellisande (also called Eldrene) was an Aes Sedai, and that she was married to the last king of Manetheren. Her full name was Eldrene ay Ellan ay Carlan, and her husband's name was Aemon al Caar al Thorin. Now we can't be certain that she bore him sons and daughters, but those names have been passed along

IIRC, part of the story of Aridhol's descent into Shadar Logoth involved one or more of Aemon's sons. No mention is made of a first wife, that I recall.

David Selig
11-01-2011, 04:14 AM
I think if the Aes Sedai never ever got pregnant, there would've been more of a reaction from Vandene, Sareitha and Careane when Elayne became pregnant. But none of them seemed to care, which implies that while rare, such things happen among Aes Sedai.

Also Faile mentioned a historical Aes Sedai, Mashera Donavelle, who had seven children.

WinespringBrother
11-01-2011, 08:39 AM
IIRC, part of the story of Aridhol's descent into Shadar Logoth involved one or more of Aemon's sons. No mention is made of a first wife, that I recall.

Per Encyclopaedia-WOT, it was actually Aemon's father, Prince Caar One Hand (presuming the following is what you are referring to):

Aemon al Caar al Thorin
The last King of Manetheren. Son of Caar and grandson of Thorin. His wife was Queen Eldrene.

Eye of the World CHAPTER: 19 - Shadow's Waiting
"The story is too long to tell in full, and too grim, and only fragments are known, even in Tar Valon. How Thorin's son, Caar, came to win Aridhol back to the Second Covenant, and Balwen sat his throne, a withered shell with the light of madness in his eyes, laughing while Mordeth smiled at his side and ordered, the deaths of Caar and the embassy as Friends of the Dark. How Prince Caar came to be called Caar One-Hand. How he escaped the dungeons of Aridhol and fled alone to the Borderlands with Mordeth's unnatural assassins at his heels. How there he met Rhea, who did not know who he was, and married her, and set the skein in the Pattern that led to his death at her hands, and hers by her own Hand before his tomb, and the fall of Aleth-loriel. How the armies of Manetheren came to avenge Caar and found the gates of Aridhol torn down, no living thing inside the walls, but something worse than death. No enemy had come to Aridhol but Aridhol. Suspicion and hate had given birth to something that fed on that which created it, something locked in the bedrock on which the city stood. Mashadar waits still, hungering. Men spoke of Aridhol no more. They named it Shadar Logoth, the Place Where the Shadow Waits, or more simply, Shadow's Waiting.

greatwolf
11-02-2011, 09:39 AM
yes. The question is: is the rate of ovulation slowed in AS similarly to the rate of ageing is slowed?

Is the rate at which their muscles function slowed? Obviously not, so its probably not a slowing down of every possible process but selected improvement of certain body process that leads to "slowing". And Elayne's pregnancy seems to be a normal 9month thing. Or maybe less. The palace knew about it very quickly.

Wise ones have children as they wish. And there's nothing from the aiel about their pregnancies lasting years, just sounds like the usual everyday thing.

The seanchan could have a secret breeding program. But only if they felt they needed more damane. Thats unlikely since the consolidation.

Davian93
11-02-2011, 11:03 AM
I would guess that when an AS becomes pregnant, she is quietly shipped out of town for 10-11 months and then brought back after the "mistake" is adopted out.

Basically, AS as a whole are a 1950s WASP family.

GonzoTheGreat
11-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Basically, AS as a whole are a 1950s WASP family.But they do have some token Sea Folk there, who are allowed to use the servant's entrance of the library.

WinespringBrother
11-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I would guess that when an AS becomes pregnant, she is quietly shipped out of town for 10-11 months and then brought back after the "mistake" is adopted out.

Basically, AS as a whole are a 1950s WASP family.

Or maybe they are quietly shipped to a nearby location that happens to be a prophecy-mentioned volcano?