PDA

View Full Version : COTW - TEOTW

GonzoTheGreat
10-31-2011, 08:43 AM
To recap the concept:

First, pop over here (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5669)for a main thread, though that one's not really relevant to this Cover of the Week series.

Iíd like discussions to link back to any existing theories, threads and ideas, but letís try and integrate them into new theories, thoughts and ideas okay? This is less to do with whether we ďlikeĒ covers Ė we are Theorylanders, and we are not vapid. If you want to be a Theorylander, practice thinking critically and objectively. Donít worry, weíll help!

This week, we're discussing The Eye Of The World.

The cover is blue. Which, I have to say, is a good decision. I like blue.
The cover gives the impression that it was drawn by an artist who looked through a very big telephoto lens, or perhaps a telescope. Based on the apparent size of the Moon, the magnification which was used was at least 10 times, maybe more. So obviously, this cover is a foreshadowing of the accomplishments of Kin Tovere, whose first name itself is a foreshadowing of the Kin which Elayne and Nynaeve discover.

PS I'm probably gonna regret this. Especially if I'm expected to start a thread like this each week.

Zombie Sammael
10-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Are you trying to take over from Felix as King of the Trolls, Gonzo?

Anyway, for a moment I thought we were actually going to have some character discussion on the Eye. I mean, what are it's motivations? Why is it doing what it's doing? Would it have worked for Aginor and Balthamel, or would it have refused?

The Unreasoner
10-31-2011, 09:56 AM
I would have doubted Zombie's 'troll' conclusion more if Gonzo had bothered to include a picture of the cover.

GonzoTheGreat
10-31-2011, 10:14 AM
TU, the picture of the cover is intuitively obvious to the most casual reader.

ZS, I hadn't thought of doing a character discussion on the Eye. I must admit that that's a fairly good idea; you might want to introduce that in the 'other' series. For this series, I was inspired by a misreading of the COTW abbreviation, which is more ambiguous than the one who came up with it had intended.

Crispin's Crispian
10-31-2011, 11:23 AM

Here you go. This is the cover sans text. You can clearly see either Lan is part-Ogier, as his his horse, or Moiraine is a tiny woman riding a magic carousel pony. Also, I've ever quite been sure why Mat is carrying Rand's sword on his back in this scene.

Perhaps this is also foreshadowing. Mat is going to kill Rand and take Justice to deliver to Tuon.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tqzF2MIgeBQ/TcQPfC8pagI/AAAAAAAABT8/Hy8TKRnY5v8/s1600/The+Eye+of+the+World+by+Darrell+K+Sweet.jpg

**ETA**
BTW, I love this idea. I love discussing the covers! :D

The Unreasoner
10-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Lanfear (the Moon) is going to gobble Lan up, as should be clear to anyone with functioning eyes. Which makes Lan the Broken Wolf, and Lanfear will be at Tarwin's Gap, waiting for him. Since Lanfear leads Moghedien, this makes her more than a singular Midnight Tower.

Zombie Sammael
10-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Okay, I'll play too. Lan is riding a black horse. It's noticeably black, as contrasted with the white of Moiraine's. Who else do we know who rides a black horse? Well, there's this:

Winterís heart shall ride a black horse, and the name of it is Death.

Of course, Lan's horse is called Mandarb - "blade" in the OT. Faile ni Bashere t'Aybara once also took the name "Mandarb" before Perrin laughed at her. Also called "Death" is Moridin, who was once Ishamael. This cover is drawing an explicit link, therefore, between Moridin and Faile. Clearly, Faile is going to betray Perrin and Rand and aid Moridin. She's probably been working for him all along.

The Unreasoner
10-31-2011, 11:50 AM
You've been around TL much longer than I, so I would expect you to know that even the most intuitively obvious issue is never settled without concrete evidence.

For instance, I could post this:
http://images.wikia.com/wot/images/0/0d/TEOTW_Ebook_cover.jpg
Or these:
http://www.keeganprints.com/images/Into_the_Ruinsprintpic.jpg

http://www.keeganprints.com/images/The_Blightprintpic.jpg

...Now what do we discuss?

Crispin's Crispian
10-31-2011, 01:00 PM
She's probably been working for him all along.
As a horse! Of course!

Crispin's Crispian
10-31-2011, 01:03 PM
That first one is a really early rendition from when RJ had Rand's character learning to pole-dance instead of play the flute. It was working fine till they got to Caemlyn. RJ couldn't figure out a good way to get Rand to gain Basel Gill's trust by dropping Thom's name as his burlesque mentor.

Ishara
10-31-2011, 02:39 PM
What are the second set? I know the first one was the eCover (LOVE those!), but I've never seen the other two!

Zombie Sammael
10-31-2011, 02:48 PM
As a horse! Of course!

I once knew a woman who dressed as a horse. For Death, of course; she dressed as a horse.

The Unreasoner
10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
What are the second set? I know the first one was the eCover (LOVE those!), but I've never seen the other two!
I like the ecovers too, probably almost prefer them universally, the only possible exceptions being TEotW and maybe AMoL.

The second set is for From the Two Rivers and To the Blight, the YA version of TEotW (and the first two I read myself, back in middle school).

Tomp
10-31-2011, 03:33 PM
That first one is a really early rendition from when RJ had Rand's character learning to pole-dance instead of play the flute.

He didn't want to continue with pole dancing it smelled to much of ass and desperation. ;)

Crispin's Crispian
10-31-2011, 03:41 PM
http://www.keeganprints.com/images/Into_the_Ruinsprintpic.jpg

In which we find out that Shadar Logoth was originally populated by very small people. That's why they couldn't come to rescue Manetheren (they were intimidated). It also plays into the stereotyping themes of the books. Never trust a skinny innkeeper, or anyone smaller than a Cairhienin. If the innkeeper is really small AND skinny, just run the other way,

http://www.keeganprints.com/images/The_Blightprintpic.jpg

...Now what do we discuss?
This is foreshadowing AMoL, wherein the heroes take the Portal Stone Express to Middle Earth and have to fight the Ents.

The Unreasoner
10-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Never trust a skinny innkeeper, or anyone smaller than a Cairhienin. If the innkeeper is really small AND skinny, just run the other way
Have some Youngling Rep, you reborn soul of Fernand Point:
When I stop in a restaurant I donít know, I always ask to shake hands with the cuisiner before the meal. I know if he is thin, Iíll probably eat poorly. And if he is both thin and sad, the only hope is in flight.

Rand al'Fain
10-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Lan is a Samurai. With great sword skills. He's obviously Musashi Miyamoto. Moiraine is short, dressed in blue (represents water), and terrifying to her enemies. She's obviously a Kappa.

Meaning that the Super Friends have been following a Samurai and his friend, a Mutant Turtle.

Lupusdeusest
11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm sorry, but the Lanfear sucking up Lan thing is set in stone, as both characters have "lan" in their names. Lan-fear. Lan, fear!!!

Crispin's Crispian
11-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm sorry, but the Lanfear sucking up Lan thing is set in stone, as both characters have "lan" in their names. Lan-fear. Lan, fear!!!

Or, etymologically speaking (heh), this indicates that Lan has become a Darkfriend. I posited this theory literally a decade ago, I think. "Lanfear" translates to "Daughter of the Night." Since Lan is male, surely "Lan" can't mean "Daughter" in the Old Tongue, right? Therefore "Lan" means "Night," which clearly indicates Lan's shadowy allegiance.

GonzoTheGreat
11-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Does that make Nynaeve Rand's former almost mother in law*?

* And what would a famil be in the Old Tongue?

Crispin's Crispian
11-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Does that make Nynaeve Rand's former almost mother in law*?

* And what would a famil be in the Old Tongue?

Throw in Slayer, and you have a downright redneck storyline. Or maybe European royalty?

Lupusdeusest
11-02-2011, 04:31 AM
Or, etymologically speaking (heh), this indicates that Lan has become a Darkfriend. I posited this theory literally a decade ago, I think. "Lanfear" translates to "Daughter of the Night." Since Lan is male, surely "Lan" can't mean "Daughter" in the Old Tongue, right? Therefore "Lan" means "Night," which clearly indicates Lan's shadowy allegiance.

Unnrelated: I've been trying to figure out "for" in the OT. It's similar to "of the" in its... elusiveness (apparently that's a word!). http://www.drosi.de/wot/wt_tongu.htm is slightly out of date now - and a little incomplete (as such things go).
Participles etc I understand are ... flexible... in WoT, particularly with the major language differences between pre-TGH OT and the rest of the series' OT. It's just... an itch I cannot scratch. Mice, anyone?