PDA

View Full Version : Is Perrin about to lose something?

Stormchi
11-01-2011, 09:43 AM
So I noticed that all three of the ta'veren have fancy weapons now, and it's been pretty clear throughout the series that they are tied to each other, so now that Rand's lost a hand, and Mat's lost an eye... Is Perrin going to lose a body part?

Also which would it be? Eyes and hands being rather symbolic, the only thing I can think of would be his um "fertility":eek:. Or maybe an ear.

WinespringBrother
11-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I read somewhere, probably on 13th Depository, that Perrin has a mythical analogue who lost a leg (or use of one), and we see that Perrin got a possibly lasting injury in his big fight with Slayer, even though it was Healed.

Towers of Midnight CHAPTER: 53 - Gateways
Moiraine. Perrin should send word to Rand. The colors appeared, showing Rand speaking with a group of Borderlanders. But . . . no. Perrin couldn't tell Rand until he was certain she lived. To do otherwise would be too cruel, and would be an invitation for Rand to meddle in Mat's mission. Perrin turned as the portal closed. As he stepped, he felt a faint throbbing from his leg, where Slayer's arrow had hit him. He had been Healed of that wound, and from what he'd been able to tell, the Healing had been complete. There was no injury. But his leg . . . it felt like it could remember the wound anyway. It was like a shadow, very faint, almost unnoticeable.

Crispin's Crispian
11-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I read somewhere, probably on 13th Depository, that Perrin has a mythical analogue who lost a leg (or use of one), and we see that Perrin got a possibly lasting injury in his big fight with Slayer, even though it was Healed.

There are some mythological smiths who have either club feet or some deformity of the leg. I'll see if I dig up the references but they may all come from some proto-Indo-Eurpoean archetype.

The most famous is Hephaestus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephaestus), the Greek god who was born "lame" and shunned by Olympus.

Wayland Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_Smith)is based on Volundr (Norse). Part of his legend was that he was hamstrung to keep him from leaving an island.

finnssss
11-01-2011, 03:37 PM
A possibility. I mean, one of the first things Verin revealed to Egwene about TAR was her scar from an injury she received there that couldn't be healed properly.

Crispin's Crispian
11-01-2011, 04:01 PM
I really like this idea. The question is whether it can be related to the plot, or will just be a completion of the parallel.

If Perrin is destined to die, will his bad leg be the tragic cause? Will his Hero archetype be the Wolf King, known for his hammer and his limp?

JOS
11-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I have theorized this before, but I think that losing Faile would be akin to Perrin losing a leg. They are so "emotional" that losing her would be a physical ailment for him.

Stormchi
11-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Of course! The lame smith mythos! *facepalm* He can't get a clubfoot and be akin the Hephaestus though, cause then Faile would have to cheat on him all the time, and I just don't see that happening.

The Volundr reference makes more sense though, he even marries a "swan maiden". What? They're both birds...

eht slat meit
11-01-2011, 10:09 PM
I'd be more inclined to place Neald and Grady as shared parts of Weyland. Grady reflecting the heart of the Smith (a wife who is like to leave him), Neald representing the skills of the blacksmith, both linked by the power that makes them one in the crafting of Perrin's hammer.

Weyland/Volundr is noted for crafting a great number of famed swords, which is in keeping with the Black Tower's emphasis on swords as part of an Asha'man's repetoire.

professorskar
02-06-2012, 09:37 PM
I can't believe nobody's made the joke that he already lost his testicles the moment he married Faile...

eht slat meit
02-06-2012, 09:56 PM
I can't believe nobody's made the joke that he already lost his testicles the moment he married Faile...

Old news!