PDA

View Full Version : De-stilling/gentling

twi
11-01-2011, 06:52 PM
We know that the Power can be used to patch what's been "cut", which lead me to the thought: What if you could coat a channeler's entire "leyline" (for lack of a canon term) to increase their capacity?

eht slat meit
11-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Sounds like you're describing the equivalent of a skin-graft, which makes it unlikely that you could increase one's power this way if there's not a whole lot of material to start with.

Taking it from someone else opens up rather creepy avenues.

Weird Harold
11-01-2011, 11:44 PM
We know that the Power can be used to patch what's been "cut", which lead me to the thought: What if you could coat a channeler's entire "leyline" (for lack of a canon term) to increase their capacity?
If Healing can be extended to burnout as well as stilling/gebntling/severing, that opens the possibility of assembling the ability to Channel from scratch and giving then ability to anyone!

(that has the same chance of happening as your suggestion -- ie NO Chance in Hades, IMHO)

GonzoTheGreat
11-02-2011, 05:44 AM
We know that the Power can be used to patch what's been "cut", which lead me to the thought: What if you could coat a channeler's entire "leyline" (for lack of a canon term) to increase their capacity?That would basically mean that they became living angreal, right?

So, the legal consequences would obviously be that they would then be the official property of the White Tower, as that claims all such objects of Power.

Crispin's Crispian
11-02-2011, 01:25 PM

That depends on what you mean by "patch." What Nynaeve did was apparently restore the connection between Logain and the True Source. If she Healed that connection like she Heals a person's body, she didn't actually use anything that wasn't already there.

Or maybe not. There's a line somewhere where one of the Forsaken talks about the crude Healing of modern channelers. I always wondered if that meant AoL Healing didn't depend on the resources of the person being Healed...

Allegedly ;) Lanfear's POV:

"I would not have visited you in this way, Mat, except that I was here in the… in the White Tower – " She smiled as if the name amused her – "for another purpose, and I wanted to see all of you." Mat's face reddened again, and he tugged the blanket around him tighter, but she seemed not to have been teasing him. More graceful than a swan, she glided to the table. "You are hungry. That's to be expected, the way they do things. Make sure you eat all they give you. You will be surprised at how quickly you put weight back and regain strength."

JOS
11-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by twi:

Rand Sedai came back from Dragonmount with a strange coating of light over his brain (Nynaeve detected it along with the black taint "thorns") ... and enhanced channeling ability ...

Could these be related? I think you may be on to something.

Coating of power + enhanced channeling ability showing up at about the same time? Sounds like an un-natural (or supernatural) enhancement, so it is probably killing him by wearing him out. The "light coating" is shielding him from the darkness, but eventually it may burn or blind him with the light.

fdsaf3
11-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Don't forget Aviendha's children in her Rhuidean sequence. Her daughters were connected so saidar from birth. I don't have my book in front of me, but didn't they have something in their brains as well? Something white or something?

Could be connected to what you're thinking.

hippie-joe
11-06-2011, 08:36 PM
then there is the reverse side of the coin... how taims cronies take lessons from him and grow in the power faster than they should have been able to.

but i think thats the 13 and 13 thing, changing once good ppl over to the darkside against their will. idk

GonzoTheGreat
11-07-2011, 03:32 AM
then there is the reverse side of the coin... how taims cronies take lessons from him and grow in the power faster than they should have been able to.

but i think thats the 13 and 13 thing, changing once good ppl over to the darkside against their will. idkBut the 13 and 13 thing only works once you have 13. So the first 12 of Taim's special ed. class can't have been turned in this way, unless Taim gets help from the BA. While that is possible, it seems doubtful, as both Taim and the BA are too arrogant to cooperate.

Landro
11-08-2011, 03:48 AM

but i think thats the 13 and 13 thing, changing once good ppl over to the darkside against their will. idk

I think the promise of taint protection was enough for many of Taim's earlier followers.