PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love Politics, eh?

Davian93
08-08-2008, 11:46 AM
http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1830590,00.html?cnn=yes

As a McCain supporter I am disgusted by this ad.

Ivhon
08-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Typical. He's not so different from the rest of the party, is he? Same old, same old from the Right (Left, too, I suppose - but the Right is far worse on this sort of thing).

Sinistrum
08-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Not really Ivhon. Nobody on the Right is putting TV ads on about how black churches will burn if Obama/Kerry/Gore/ect. is elected. Both sides of the ailse are equally despicable in their choice of campaign scare tactics.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Oh, for crying out loud.

irerancincpkc
08-09-2008, 07:02 AM
McCain (in his mind) had to go negative, his campaign was doing nothing before this, and now that they have done it, they have gotten attention, and they will keep doing these negative ads to keep getting attention, and eventually, it will blow up in their face.

Ozymandias
08-09-2008, 09:18 AM
No it wont, ire. The Republican campaign machine is well known for its extreme efficiency in terms of smear campaigns and negative advertising.

Not that the Democrats dont try, but the Republicans devote a lot more effort and money to it. One of the many reasons I won't vote Republican for anything.

Ivhon
08-09-2008, 09:42 AM
No it wont, ire. The Republican campaign machine is well known for its extreme efficiency in terms of smear campaigns and negative advertising.

Not that the Democrats dont try, but the Republicans devote a lot more effort and money to it. One of the many reasons I won't vote Republican for anything.

Me either. And it wont make a difference.

McCain will win because the Democrats have yet to answer the Republican wedge/smear/boldface lie machine. And they aren't doing it now. Witness:

1. John Edward's affair is more of an issue than the Bush Administration's corruption and scandal that have cost 100's of billions of dollars and thousands of lives (similar to how Clinton was impeached for lying about a blowjob and nothing happens to anyone in the Bush Admin).

2. People believe McCain's misrepresentation's about the tax plans. Both candidates are overstating their positions - nothing new - but McCain WILL raise taxes and Obama WILL save more money for all but the wealthiest Americans. But. It is written in stone that Republicans are fiscally responsible and Democrats tax and spend. Nevermind that over the last 32 years it is only the Democratic Administration that had America running surplusses with balanced budgets.

3. People buy into the McCain myth that he is a "maverick" that doesn't play standard Republican trash politics. Even though he has voted with the President 90% of the time (and is proud of it) and is engaging in the same old same old political crap from the Republicans.

4. Somehow, the press is biased for Obama. While it is true that he gets more coverage, every little thing he does and says is held under the microscope. While at the same time, the neverending stream of gaffes and contradictions that McCain makes is largely ignored.

5. Somehow, it is now a problem for a candidate - at least a Democratic candidate - to appear "presidential." WTF? Isn't that the POINT? So. McCain goes on a campaigning trip to several foreign countries, makes the statement that Obama should get some Foreign Policy cred by going overseas. Obama does exactly that and all of a sudden he's "too Presidential."

There is no stopping the Republican Machine. This election will be close. Just as the last two. Diebold, the rigged Justice Department, and the stacked courts will again hand the Republicans the victory.

Terez
08-09-2008, 10:06 AM
1. John Edward's affair is more of an issue than the Bush Administration's corruption and scandal that have cost 100's of billions of dollars and thousands of lives (similar to how Clinton was impeached for lying about a blowjob and nothing happens to anyone in the Bush Admin). Is it? I don't know that I agree with that at all. But I've seen the (current) news about Edwards posted in four different forums, and no one really has much to say about it. He's not running for office, so no one gives a shit. I certainly don't. Bush is an ongoing topic of discussion on teh internut, but it's died down lately because we all know he'll be gone soon, and there's nothing we can do to make him go quicker. And also because not even die-hard Republicans can be arsed to defend him any more. They're much more likely to join in bashing him.

I do agree that, as a general rule, sex scandals are made much of by the media while more serious concerns are swept under the carpet, and I think it's a depressing reflection of what our priorities are, as a nation. That's why I don't watch TV. :D

Oh, and McCain is toast.

Sei'taer
08-09-2008, 10:33 AM
McCain will win because the Democrats have yet to answer the Republican wedge/smear/boldface lie machine. And they aren't doing it now.

There is no stopping the Republican Machine. This election will be close. Just as the last two. Diebold, the rigged Justice Department, and the stacked courts will again hand the Republicans the victory.

To point #1: If Obama goes into October with somewhere between a 10 and 15 point lead in the polls, he'll win...anything less than that and he's toast. TBH, I haven't seen ads from either candidate that are truly smear ads. Yeah, there have been some pokes at certain ideals, but McCain hasn't called Obama a big eared N'er bastard yet. We had some really nasty ones here in Memphis, between 2 dems. Here's a local bloggers post of what happened with this one. First the report, then the second link is the ad. (http://thadmatthews.blogspot.com/2008/08/nikki-tinker-has-been-declared.html)

This is a smear ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYkhodGIEg8). Take notes.

To point #2: Depends on how many conservatives vote for a third party(like me). If Obama has a 6 or 7 point lead, then you're probably right...it'll go to the courts. If Obama is tied, McCain blows him out.

irerancincpkc
08-09-2008, 11:40 AM
See, Obama is sticking up for himself, unlike Kerry, so I'm pretty sure Obama won't be swiftboated...

Sei'taer
08-09-2008, 02:44 PM
See, Obama is sticking up for himself, unlike Kerry, so I'm pretty sure Obama won't be swiftboated...

Obama is sticking up for himself...sort of. I think he might be in trouble. He got no bump from his world tour, even lost a little. He's making dumb mistakes (so is McCain, but you were talking about Obama so I'm focusing on him), like telling people that if they air up their tires and get tune ups they can save enough oil that we won't have to drill, but has since backed off of this for 2 reasons. I think he said something on the order of a 6% saving, but I'm tooo lazy to look it up right now, when in reality it would probably be a .3 to .5% saving. 1. Because every car in america would have to be running on tires that are less than half inflated...I'd say the majority of people are keeping their tires aired correctly or pretty close to it. I know I do, but I'm a car nerd...we all learned that a long time ago(*I have an aside for this but I'll put it at the bottom). 2. Since the introduction of electronic points in 1985 and the complete switchover to computer controlled ignition systems in 1994 cars don't need tune-ups anymore. Regular maintenance like oil changes, yes, but tune-ups, no. The computer system constantly corrects the way the car runs to make up for any changes in the system. If you have other problems, like a burnt valve, or a broken timing belt then when it is fixed the car will need to be retuned to run with the newer parts. This is the only time a tune-up consisting of plugs, plug wires, points, etc needs to be done.

He also released an ad on youtube, which has since been removed, accusing McCain of being in the pockets of the oil companies...until one of his staffers decided to look and found out that Obama had recieved about twice the donations that McCain had from them.

Also, he now has another problem. Nader is trying to get on the ballot in 45 states. The may be the popknocker right there. If Nader pulls 3 to 5% of the lib vote it puts a major hurt on Obama. I also think it's funny that everyone is so pissed about McCain, but Nader is expected to pull 3 times as many votes as Barr (1 to 1.5%).

*did you know that an old used car dealer trick is to over-inflate tires to make it look like the car actually gets better gas mileage than it really does. Also, did you know that it takes, on average, 8 quarts of oil to make 1 tire? My best friend works for Cooper tires and he let me know about this the other day (he's a slimy lib though so I wouldn't read too much into that).

Terez
08-09-2008, 03:49 PM
He's making dumb mistakes (so is McCain, but you were talking about Obama so I'm focusing on him), like telling people that if they air up their tires and get tune ups they can save enough oil that we won't have to drill, but has since backed off of this for 2 reasons. I think he said something on the order of a 6% saving, but I'm tooo lazy to look it up right now, when in reality it would probably be a .3 to .5% saving. 1. Because every car in america would have to be running on tires that are less than half inflated...I'd say the majority of people are keeping their tires aired correctly or pretty close to it. I know I do, but I'm a car nerd...we all learned that a long time ago(*I have an aside for this but I'll put it at the bottom). Propaganda alert. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akjXqfvLu28)

ABC News blogs (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/08/politifact-find.html)

Our friends at Politifact have also looked into Sen. Barack Obama's claim about tire inflation and found it to be true (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/608/) -- not merely that car tune-ups and proper tire inflation will save millions of barrels of oil per year, but that it will save more energy than new off shore drilling would yield.
No one knows for sure, of course, which may be one of the reasons why our experts disagreed with Obama's claim that this conservation method would save more energy than new off shore drilling would yield.
But the salient point is that such measures are serious. Why the Republicans are mocking them at a time of energy crisis seems bizarre. Bizarre, but hardly surprising...

Sei'taer
08-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Call it what you want. Didn't know you knew so little about cars you'd have to wait on a presidential candidate to let you know about tire pressure before the light went on in your head.

from your article:

No one knows for sure, of course, which may be one of the reasons why our experts disagreed with Obama's claim that this conservation method would save more energy than new off shore drilling would yield.

So, I'm not the only one that disagrees. Too bad this isn't from fox, then you could blame it on the conservative bent they have...ABC..wow.

I guess you couldn't google up anything good on the tune ups?

Terez
08-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Are you going to say anything intelligent, Taer, or are you just going to spout insults? The point is that it wasn't a dumb comment at all (the link in my quote gives a detailed analysis) and that Obama's comment was utterly misrepresented and blown out of proportion by the McCain group (as is seen from the video).

Sei'taer
08-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Are you going to say anything intelligent, Taer, or are you just going to spout insults? The point is that it wasn't a dumb comment at all (the link in my quote gives a detailed analysis) and that Obama's comment was utterly misrepresented and blown out of proportion by the McCain group (as is seen from the video).

and my point is that if you are going to listen to a presidential candidate to give you advice on how to inflate your tires then you are listening to the wrong person. I think people who make tires and service cars are probably better qualified than Obama, McCain, Bush, Clinton et al. Of course, maybe you get car advice from you accountant or your plumber...I dunno.

Are you going to say anything intelligent, Taer, or are you just going to spout insults?

I already did...and no, because I made my point...quite nicely.

Terez
08-09-2008, 05:07 PM
and my point is that if you are going to listen to a presidential candidate to give you advice on how to inflate your tires then you are listening to the wrong person. I think people who make tires and service cars are probably better qualified than Obama, McCain, Bush, Clinton et al. Of course, maybe you get car advice from you accountant or your plumber...I dunno.
lol...that wasn't your point though, was it? You said Obama's comments were dumb. It turns out that they're true. The fact that Obama isn't a car mechanic has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Sei'taer
08-09-2008, 06:26 PM
lol...that wasn't your point though, was it? You said Obama's comments were dumb. It turns out that they're true. The fact that Obama isn't a car mechanic has absolutely nothing to do with it.

No, Obama comments were dumb. Everyone airs up their tires. and it wouldn't save us what he said it would...not even close. So they were dumb. dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Ozymandias
08-10-2008, 12:27 AM
No, Obama comments were dumb. Everyone airs up their tires. and it wouldn't save us what he said it would...not even close. So they were dumb. dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Firstly... if its true, its true. It doesn't matter if it comes from the village idiot, a presidential candidate, or a mechanic or auto manufacturer. I'm sure Obama wouldn't have made the claim if he didn't have qualified people who had done the research beforehand.

Whats more important to me is that Obama is actually advocating changing our lifestyle in small, easy ways to alleviate pressures on the environment (and our wallets) rather than deciding to promise further exploitation and stupid policy concerning the environment. Drilling in Alaska isn't a solution, its a stopgap.

The Republican Party is a morally bankrupt group of the biggest assholes this country has to offer. They're hypocrites who will exploit anything and anyone to maintain their hold on power. At least the Democrats have ideals they live up to, and don't preach to the country while sniggering at the impressionable idiots who listen to them while they do the exact opposite.

Sodas
08-10-2008, 02:14 AM
like telling people that if they air up their tires and get tune ups they can save enough oil that we won't have to drill, but has since backed off of this for 2 reasons.
I'm sorry, when did he back off those comments?

Also, he now has another problem. Nader is trying to get on the ballot in 45 states. The may be the popknocker right there. If Nader pulls 3 to 5% of the lib vote it puts a major hurt on Obama.
Except the polling shows that Nader is pulling that vote out of McCain's numbers. In multiple polls with Barr and Nader, the support for Obama stays the same, with McCain dropping up to 8% with Nader and Barr. This is a problem when reading the head-to-heads, particularly in Georgia (Barr's homestate), because in head-to-head polling he is getting the "anyone but Obama" vote. That means the race really isn't as close as it seems.

But how else would the media sell newspapers and ads if it was a blow out?

irerancincpkc
08-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Like Ozy said, I think it is great that Obama wants to do the little lifestyle changes. And Sei, on Nascar.com, they give the same advice Obama gave about the tires. To call that dumb when it is something that will improve the situation... you're acting like McCain here.

And no matter who Nader takes votes away from, I'm pretty sure he won't get on the ballot in all 45 states...

Sei'taer
08-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I was wrong to believe people weren't taking care of themselves or their own business. I forgot...

From CNN:

Obama Talks about Hygiene (http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/)

No need to read the article...here's the nut of the story.

Charles Wagon and Michael Hunt were really impressed by Sen. Obama.

"To think," said Hunt, 41 of Montpelier "that for the last 34 years I was supposed to be wiping my own butt. I never knew what the itching and burning and swelling was caused by, not to mention the smell...Thank God Obama came out here to let me know that a good butt wipe will make a huge difference in my quality of life."

Mr. Wagon, 32 of Battle Creek, was equally relieved. "I thought for all these years something was wrong with me. Women didn't talk to me, I always had crust in my underwear and I was always washing my sheets to get the skidmarks off. My doctor told me I needed to wipe, but I never really believed him, but then Sen. Obama hits me with this revelation and for the first time in years I feel...right!"

The Senator will be leaving from his vacation soon and getting back on the campaign trail. He was highly criticized for taking a break in the middle of a very tight race, even though he did take time for a town hall meeting here in Honolulu.

"I want to also remind everyone to cook their chicken thoroughly, it contains all kinds of horrible bacteria," he said as he departed the meeting.

Sodas
08-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Or post legit links and articles.

:rolleyes:

irerancincpkc
08-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Yes, what an excellent bit of fiction! :D

Sei'taer
08-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Yes, what an excellent bit of fiction! :D

Oh C'mon, you had to look at the link to figure that out??? I figured the names alone would be enough...:p

Sodas
08-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Oh C'mon, you had to look at the link to figure that out??? I figured the names alone would be enough...
Maybe if you had posted the link after the article? lol :D

Sei'taer
08-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Maybe if you had posted the link after the article? lol :D

Here, I'll make it better.

Today John McCain joined Obama in saying wiping your butt is good for you and good for America. He was highly criticized for passing out rolls of toilet paper over the weekend with labels that said "Obama's healthcare plan."

McCain did admit that wiping was a good idea, but he felt that adults ought to be able to answer that question on their own. "Is it a good thing to do...absolutely. Is it a healthcare policy? If it is I think it's a little big brotherish, " he said in a phone interview.

Ralph Nader was quick to jump in and let people know how many millions of trees died to make toilet paper for the masses. He stated "I've been using the same wash cloth for years to wipe my ass...it's the enviromentally friendly thing to do. I'd just recommend washing it seperately from your whites."

Bob Barr made a short statement also, "there are enough asswipes in DC to cover the whole country."

CNN, MSNBC and Fox news were quick to point out that their experts all agreed that wiping your butt was indeed a good thing. The National Enquirer has been investigating a butt wiping scandal involving Al Gore, but to date has been uncharacteristically quiet on the subject.

Here's a good link for the story:BBC America (http://www.ehow.com/how_2091297_poop-efficiently-under-time-constraints.html)

irerancincpkc
08-11-2008, 06:53 AM
I doubt the authenticity of Fox News actually saying it's a good idea to wipe your butt.

Sei'taer
08-11-2008, 06:55 AM
I doubt the authenticity of Fox News actually saying it's a good idea to wipe your butt.

The link was authentic though.