PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a better Word processor

Zombie Sammael
11-05-2011, 08:01 AM
So basically, my job involves a hefty amount of typing. Up until now, I've been putting up with MS Word 2007 with all of it's fun bugs, inconsistencies, and failings that haven't been fixed since the last time, ooh, but we added "useless new feature you don't need". But this morning, I've finally snapped. Word lost a 10,000 word file that I was hoping to complete before going off for a nice weekend, and as a result my weekend has been completely screwed up because I have to do all of that work again.

For those who are interested, what happened was this: I started work on the file, completed the 10,000 words, then moved over to work on another file, saving it but using it as the template for the new file - this is what I normally do so I don't have to copy and paste the generic templates and front pages we use every single time . Instead of saving and backing it up like it was told to, Word has saved the work I had done on it since Tuesday morning (3000 words). It's meant to back everything up, multiple times, and save AutoRecovery files every few minutes. It decided not to.

I've had it up to here with this terrible, half-hearted attempt at a programme.

In the past, I've tried Open Office, but unfortunately it throws a hissy fit at the templates I need to use in RTF files and completely screws up the layout.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Word processor that actually works that I could use? I don't care if I have to pay, I just want something that isn't as fundamentally broken as MS Word.

Mort
11-05-2011, 10:45 AM
You could try LibreOffice. Supposed to be good.

The Unreasoner
11-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Alot of people like Abiword, but it doesnt play nice with Word. I hate open office, it uses way too much ram. If you have the need for a long term solution, I'd suggest tweaking ms word. Cull it of those stupid extra features and pathetic GUI. Word got to number 1 for a reason, and it seems ms forgot that in trying to emulate apple and all of its retardedness.

You could try focus writer portable. Free, simple, portable.

Weird Harold
11-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion for a Word processor that actually works that I could use? I don't care if I have to pay, I just want something that isn't as fundamentally broken as MS Word.

My sister-in-law used Wordperfect for her medical transcriptions business last I knew. I've used veersion 8 and found it fairly easy and reliable for the editing jobs that required it.

Zombie Sammael
11-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks all. Downloading some demos so I can make up my mind. Some of these are expensive!