PDA

View Full Version : COTW-Leilwin Shipless

WinespringBrother
11-05-2011, 12:19 PM
To recap the concept:

First, pop over here (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5669)for the main thread, to see our list of upcoming characters.

I’d like discussions to link back to any existing theories, threads and ideas, but let’s try and integrate them into new theories, thoughts and ideas okay? This is less to do with whether we “like” characters – we are Theorylanders, and we are not vapid. If you want to be a Theorylander, practice thinking critically and objectively. Don’t worry, we’ll help!

This week, we're discussing Leilwin Shipless.

Leilwin has endured a bumpy path since first appearing in The Great Hunt as a Seanchan ship captain who happened to capture a smuggler named Bayle Domon that happened to be fleeing the Shadow's assassins who were after a particular piece of cargo that he had somehow purchased. Due to this incident, she ended up on High Lord Turak's radar, and later on Suroth's after another voyage that ended up with Suroth getting her hands on another nice cargo item, the Domination Band, and Leilwin getting a nice promotion out of it. In between these, she was investigated by a Seeker who was checking up on the Seanchan left behind in Randland. So she has constantly walked the Path of Daggers, and avoided cutting herself, at least until she managed to irritate Fortuona enough to be denamed and demoted. The noble life did not seem to fit her well, in any event, since it seems she is more of a hands-on person, in the Captain Kirk mold. She has abandoned the Blood and the military, though without any lasting punishments for desertion. However, she is clearly on a collision course with the pending Seanchan re-invasion force of Tar Valon, in what looks to be yet another in-battle of the forces of Light leading up to Tarmon Gai'don.

So, what does fate have in store for her? Will she turn out to be the woman in Egwene's dream, who led Egwene (and herself, or perhaps the Seanchan in a symbolic manner) to safety? Will she put aside past grudges and get the Tower and Empire to work together? Will she go down in a blaze of glory, or regain her leadership role with one of the many armies?

Kimon
11-05-2011, 05:10 PM
She's still obviously a tempting candidate for Egwene's Seanchan woman with the sword, especially as she has helped Aes Sedai in the past. Certainly several Aes Sedai (not least Nynaeve and Elayne, but also Joline, Teslyn, and Edesina) could vouch for her credibility with Egwene. Moreover, she is en route to Tar Valon with Joline, Teslyn, and Edesina. Nonetheless, one can't help but wonder if her further role of importance might have been left primarily for the intended Outriggers. She certainly would have made sense as one of Mat's generals, especially as she, unlike most other Seanchan natives, would have required little adjustment to the idea of fighting alongside unfettered channelers.

Rand al'Fain
11-05-2011, 07:23 PM
She may just settle down with Domon after Tarmon Gaidon is over and have a family. Possibly becoming an officer for Tar Valon (since that is where she is heading too).

Yes, I like happy endings like that.

Enigma
11-06-2011, 07:11 AM
She seems to be a woman searching for a role in life. As a ship captain she was used to being in command and it suited her. I think its ironic that when she was promoted she actually lost command. Granted she was an Admiral and minor noble but its a bit like going from a Sargeant Major to Lieutenant junior grade. Its a bit step up but you find yourself at the bottom of the new pile.

She tried to take command with the show and Mat but that failed simply as Mat more or less ignored her orders. She does not strike me as the sort who can sit back and live off the profits made by her smuggler partner.

What is she suited for thought? Aside from the Sea Folk and the Seanchan the Westlands done't have much of a navy. She has no experience working with armies. Perhaps herself and Bayle will find a ship and explore the world after the Last Battle.

Kimon
11-06-2011, 08:23 AM
She seems to be a woman searching for a role in life. As a ship captain she was used to being in command and it suited her. I think its ironic that when she was promoted she actually lost command. Granted she was an Admiral and minor noble but its a bit like going from a Sargeant Major to Lieutenant junior grade. Its a bit step up but you find yourself at the bottom of the new pile.

She tried to take command with the show and Mat but that failed simply as Mat more or less ignored her orders. She does not strike me as the sort who can sit back and live off the profits made by her smuggler partner.

What is she suited for thought? Aside from the Sea Folk and the Seanchan the Westlands done't have much of a navy. She has no experience working with armies. Perhaps herself and Bayle will find a ship and explore the world after the Last Battle.

Dread Pirate Leilwin?

Enigma
11-07-2011, 10:42 AM
She is too much of a law and order type to turn to piracy. I think there was even a comment that she wont let Bayle earn a crust smuggling.

Kalli
11-07-2011, 10:50 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! Just let it be their ride off into sunset and we never hear from them again. It feels like they just been tagging along for a while now and some plot lines just need to get snipped so theirs enough room in AMOL for a satisfying ending.

Enigma
11-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Unfortunatly they are riding to Tar Valon and if we don't see some scenes of the WT in the next book I will be very surprised. I suppose they could settle down and run an inn in Tar Valon and never be heard from again but that seems unlikely.

Given the way Tuon has treated her it would be kind of cool of Leilwin ended up saving her life or something and Tuon having to reconsider her opinion of what she sees is a trator, deserter and thief.

WinespringBrother
11-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Unfortunatly they are riding to Tar Valon and if we don't see some scenes of the WT in the next book I will be very surprised. I suppose they could settle down and run an inn in Tar Valon and never be heard from again but that seems unlikely.

Given the way Tuon has treated her it would be kind of cool of Leilwin ended up saving her life or something and Tuon having to reconsider her opinion of what she sees is a trator, deserter and thief.

Which would be ironic since Leilwin considered Juilin a thief at one point :eek: