PDA

View Full Version : Nicola, Jasmen, Yaneri and Itala

rahvin2j3
11-06-2011, 02:56 PM
But only Yaneri, Nicola and Itala were linked with Egwene. What happened to Yaneri? :-)

Anyway, I would like to ask your thoughts. I have read (since wotmania days) that being strong in the OP allows a channeler to be "adept" in reading weaves. Egwene, however, dismissed the idea that most of the novices will have a hard time duplicating the Travelling weave.

Is the logic flawed? or is there a treshold of how "strong" a channeler has to be to "read" weaves instinctively.

GonzoTheGreat
11-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Isn't reading weaves mostly about reading the remnants left behind after the actual weave is done with?
In that case, it would be irrelevant for the novice case, as they saw the weave itself, not just where it had been.

rahvin2j3
11-06-2011, 03:29 PM
No, it is not the simple reading of weaves after the've been woven.

It's that "instinct" Avi and the rest have where they can weave flows without thought.

It's like what Melaine said that Avi has this "understanding" of weaves that they (the regular channelers) are struggling to do.

Kimon
11-06-2011, 03:35 PM
But only Yaneri, Nicola and Itala were linked with Egwene. What happened to Yaneri? :-)

Anyway, I would like to ask your thoughts. I have read (since wotmania days) that being strong in the OP allows a channeler to be "adept" in reading weaves. Egwene, however, dismissed the idea that most of the novices will have a hard time duplicating the Travelling weave.

Is the logic flawed? or is there a treshold of how "strong" a channeler has to be to "read" weaves instinctively.

This probably should have been read as something more akin to the fact that even while dosed with forkroot that Egwene had been able to form much more intricate weaves, and still had been able to to form and employ many more separate weaves than could the novices - hence their sense of awe at what she was able to do when she was forced into novice classes again (briefly) after her capture. It was the intricacy of the weave here that would have likely ensured against the novices being able to duplicate it, not necessarily anything related to their individual strengths - after all, even Sorilea can form the weave, as she did to show it to Cadsuane, but then the intricacy was not a problem for Sorilea, only her limited strength, which rendered her gateway inoperable.

greatwolf
11-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Apart from what Kimon said, there's the fact that strength in the OP is proportional to speed in the OP. So its basically easier for a strong channeler to see a weave and copy it than a weaker one.

But Egwene is probably one of the fastest at the travelling weave, and if she didn't want Nicola and co to know it, I doubt they stand a chance. That doesn't mean Egwene is right though, being linked to her may mean that the novices will still be able to "see" the residues of the wave days after she wove it. For all the good it'll do them.:)

yks 6nnetu hing
11-07-2011, 07:27 AM

Seeing a weave is one thing, duplicating it is something else completely. for the Traveling, there's a good example from ToM, from Asha'man perspective where the guy muses over how creating Gateways with his strength should be impossible. Also, in the end of CoS, Rand thinks about traveling from the location of Sammael's gate by duplicating the weave but at the last moment fears that there might be a trap on the other end and so changes the weave a little bit - meaning, he uses the weave for Traveling, but that weave must be adapted for every location you're traveling from and to. This makes it a very difficult thing to learn on the fly, unless you already have an aptitude for it. Then there's the mention from Aviendha in PoD that the version of Traveling she learned from Elayne is more difficult for her than the form she used when fleeing from Rand (makes a much smaller gate and starts to disintegrate the moment she moves a few steps away from it) - which suggests that there are several ways of weaving the OP to come to the same result, the way of weaving can be easier or more difficult depending on the person doing the weaving. Of course, strength in the OP in general affects this as well but we should also remember the strength in each of the 5 branches. Weaves that require more Earth and/or Fire will be generally more difficult for women and vice versa for weaves that rely more on Air and/or Water.

It also depends on what is being woven: consider Nynaeve's Healing versus Elayne's Cloud-dancing. Elayne cna't even follow Nynaeve and she's not *that* far behind in brute strength, same with Nynaeve following Elayne's weather-working.