PDA

View Full Version : COTW - TGH

GonzoTheGreat
11-07-2011, 11:44 AM
To recap the concept:

First, pop over here (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5669)for a main thread, though that one's not really relevant to this Cover of the Week series.

I’d like discussions to link back to any existing theories, threads and ideas, but let’s try and integrate them into new theories, thoughts and ideas okay? This is less to do with whether we “like” covers – we are Theorylanders, and we are not vapid. If you want to be a Theorylander, practice thinking critically and objectively. Don’t worry, we’ll help!

This week, we're discussing The Great Hunt.

The cover is greyish blue. Not quite as nice as the blue of TEOTW, but I guess it was necessary to give the impression of a night scene.
I do not really think it was a smart idea of Rand to start wearing clothing decorated with dragons at that point. Might give people ideas he'd rather they didn't have, and all that.
Loial's boots look like they are designed to gather rainwater. I'm not sure that's a good idea, but maybe Ogier feet are different from human feet.
I do wonder why those Seanchan in the background are never mentioned in the book itself.

Zombie Sammael
11-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Later printings of TGH have a decidedly greenish hue to them, making this cover Green, TEOTW Blue, and TDR Red, the colours of the three principle AS Ajahs. I do not think this is coincidence.

I think those "Seanchan" Gonzo mentioned are actually Darrell K Sweet's interpretation of Trollocs. You can see some on the cover of TFOH as well. He appears to have blissfully ignored that they're not meant to be human.

I'm not sure that is a Dragon on Rand's top. I think it might be a heron.

Why are we doing this again?

GonzoTheGreat
11-07-2011, 12:06 PM
And what did happen in this book to make the Green Ajah preeminent? I mean, I can understand blue for TEOTW.
Intriguing puzzle, this.

Trollocs?
That's a rather wacky theory, I have to say. Maybe someone should ask Brandon about that.

If it's a heron, then it is a dead one. It's neck is bent far too much for it to be a living bird. Dragons, however, are now and then depicted in such a position, so obviously it comes natural to them.

And we're doing this because I started it. There are no beginnings in the Wheel of Theoryland of Time, but this was a beginning.

Sarevok
11-07-2011, 12:10 PM
And what did happen in this book to make the Green Ajah preeminent? I mean, I can understand blue for TEOTW.
Intriguing puzzle, this.

Trollocs?
That's a rather wacky theory, I have to say. Maybe someone should ask Brandon about that.

If it's a heron, then it is a dead one. It's neck is bent far too much for it to be a living bird. Dragons, however, are now and then depicted in such a position, so obviously it comes natural to them.

And we're doing this because I started it. There are no beginnings in the Wheel of Theoryland of Time, but this was a beginning.

Definitely Trollocs and a Heron.

Zombie Sammael
11-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Intriguing puzzle, this.

The Green Ajah is the Battle Ajah, and this was the first book in the series in which martial types and battle played a significant, prominent, and integral part to the story. So although no Green AS were particularly prominent, the idea is there; just as TDR, being concerned as it is with the hunt for a man who can channel, is ideologically associated with the red.

Crispin's Crispian
11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I am particularly intrigued by Loial's calm demeanor. He's clearly staring right at the tiny Trolloc-dwarves who happen to be about 10 feet away. Yet he's as calm and collected as Lan would be fighting 10 Halfmen.

I am also impressed that someone had the forethought (or maybe Forethought) to lay down a nice batch of straw upon which Rand could stand while gloating with the Horn. It's eerily reminiscent of this scene from another great heroic fantasy story:

http://www.lionking.org/imgarchive/Act_1/Presentation5.jpg

On a less sarcastic note, I do like Sweet's use of light and shadow on this cover, as well as the detail of the rocks and tree.

fdsaf3
11-07-2011, 05:17 PM
The Green Ajah is the Battle Ajah, and this was the first book in the series in which martial types and battle played a significant, prominent, and integral part to the story. So although no Green AS were particularly prominent, the idea is there; just as TDR, being concerned as it is with the hunt for a man who can channel, is ideologically associated with the red.

Egwene learns to harness her destructive power from the Seanchan while she is leashed in this book. Since she would have chosen the Green, perhaps there's a parallel there?