PDA

View Full Version : Running

Crispin's Crispian
11-07-2011, 02:37 PM
I know at least one other Theorylander runs on a regular basis (Happy Half, Z), and I believe a few others do as well.

I'm currently training for a half-marathon in December, and just finished this year's 10K series for Oregon Road Runners Club. I figured it might be fun to talk about training, why you run, your shoes...whatever.

So. Did anyone watch the NYC Marathon yesterday? Or run it? What an incredible finish!

Ishara
11-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Brita took it up this year as well!

Talk to me about running! I have Couch to 5K, and keep stopping after Week 3 ( for a myriad of crappy reasons, most of them involving time). I feel like it's great in theory, but hve yet to feel a "high." I can feel accomplished, sure, for finishing 5 km of pain, but never anything else beyond the sensation that my lungs may burn through my chest.

What were (are?) your tricks and self-talk tips for getting the hell out there? What music do you recommend?

Davian93
11-07-2011, 02:47 PM
From what I remember, you feel the "high" about 20-30 min after you finish as your blood pressure/heart rate are back to normal and the endorphins have fully released. I remember it being quite the nice sensation that almost made up for the searing agony of running all out for several miles.

Brita
11-07-2011, 02:52 PM
I ran the 10 mile in May, and then promptly fell off the wagon (or the trainers).

I have run a couple of miles here and there, but I am woefully unmotivated at present. I do plan to run the 10 mile again next year, and training starts in January, so I will be lacing up eventually.

Shoe-wise, I love the barefoot movement: shoes with lots of flexibility and little support to mimic natural movement. I have the Sketchers Run, and I love them! (when I actually get out to run).

@ Ishara- I didn't get the runner's high until I hit 4 miles- (6.4 k) - and boy do you feel like you can do anything in that state!

Terez
11-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Damn, and I thought you were running for office.

Khoram
11-07-2011, 03:40 PM
I haven't been running much - I started in late spring - I suddenly had the desire to go running with my dad, so I went.

I started off running 2 miles, and worked my way up to 3 miles (5.07 km) - at first I was running 2 in about 25 minutes; I managed to cut that time to 20 minutes for 3 miles, which was at my best just prior to leaving for Europe in August. That was when I pretty much stopped running. :(

I just started up again last night; my dad and I went out and ran 3 miles - we took it slow (35 minutes) but I felt great. It got tough in the last 1/8 of a mile, but I attribute that to not having run in a while.

I don't generally eat anything during the run - I might have a Cliff Bar with me - but aside from that, nothing.

I also don't have music - seeing as I run with my dad, as long as we have breath to talk, we do - about my desire to go into the Armed Forces, schooling in England, the nice cars and houses we pass by on our run (there are a lot of REALLY nice cars and houses in my neighbourhood :D), etc. It's the easiest way, I find, to get through the run.

I've tried a number of different ways to run, from short, quick strides to long strides, and running on the balls of my feet as opposed to landing on my heels. This I find is much better for me, personally, cause I have had problems with my knees in the past. The less stress, the better.

My dad got me running in the first place - he ran a marathon way back when (don't remember where) and he's pretty much been running ever since - on and off (he's been really busy these past few years) and he really got me running in the spring - which is weird, considering I have never, in my entire 20 years, once enjoyed running. I have always hated it. That's why I wouldn't play soccer after that first year.

After Europe, I had to stop because of school and refereeing, which granted is some cardio. What I found particularly weird was that I was missing running - I had begun to enjoy the experience of running on the streets. It had helped me with all the walking that I went through in Europe, which is one reason why I enjoyed it so much.

My dad got me into running again last night because he wants me to get accustomed to running in the cold weather, particularly if I want to continue during the winter. I'm hopefully going to be able to continue with this. :D

Ivhon
11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
I run.

To Pizza Hut.

Actually, that's a lie. I drive.

Zombie Sammael
11-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I do not run. I cycle. You can go further and have more of an adventure. Actually, my bike is my primary method of transport. I don't own a car; I've never felt the need for one, though I've occasionally seen the value in a licence, and do need to get one sorted. I get a hell of a kick from going on long bike rides, just exploring, and then having to find my way back. It's fun.

Crispin's Crispian
11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Brita took it up this year as well!

Talk to me about running! I have Couch to 5K, and keep stopping after Week 3 ( for a myriad of crappy reasons, most of them involving time). I feel like it's great in theory, but hve yet to feel a "high." I can feel accomplished, sure, for finishing 5 km of pain, but never anything else beyond the sensation that my lungs may burn through my chest.

What were (are?) your tricks and self-talk tips for getting the hell out there? What music do you recommend?
To be completely honest, I've never felt a runner's high...at least not one that I can remember. The best I get is a feeling of relief when I'm done, and a generally relaxed and pleasurably tired feeling for the rest of the day.*

As for self-talk, I use that more to finish a run than to actually get out there. I've basically made running part of my life and my schedule. Now if I don't go in the morning, I feel guilty, sluggish, and fat all day. I think the key is just making it a habit. Yes, it sucks at first, but it does start to feel better, believe me. The other big thing to do is what I think Brita did--sign up for a race. That is the single best motivator I know of.

For music, I have a big list. I go for upbeat stuff with a beat, and usually with lyrics I can lose myself to. Alternatively (and somewhat counterintuitively) I find talk radio to be comforting on runs. It's distracting, and I can catch up on news while I'm out there. I'll try to dig up some music from my playlist, though, if you want. :)

*Of course, there's the high of losing weight and body fat as well as getting faster over time. I've shaved about four and a half minutes off my 5K time, and eight minutes off my 10K time in the past two years. Those have been my primary motivators, along with my wife...who is way faster than me. :)

Crispin's Crispian
11-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Damn, and I thought you were running for office.

hahahaha.... I'm way to sarcastic to run for office. Plus, I made a gentleman's agreement with Herid Fel (I believe) about 10 years ago that I would never run for office, as long as he also didn't. ;)

Crispin's Crispian
11-07-2011, 05:12 PM
I do not run. I cycle. You can go further and have more of an adventure. Actually, my bike is my primary method of transport. I don't own a car; I've never felt the need for one, though I've occasionally seen the value in a licence, and do need to get one sorted. I get a hell of a kick from going on long bike rides, just exploring, and then having to find my way back. It's fun.

I want to start cycling. I've been taking a cycling class for fitness for a couple years, and I think I'd probably do alright out there. My town is very bike-friendly (if you don't mind rain). I just need to find the money for a nice bike that is sized to my frame.

Sinistrum
11-07-2011, 05:14 PM
I run 3-4 miles almost every other day (weight training on in between days). I do it purely as a way to improve health. I'm damn sure not running any marathons, though I did a 5k obstacle course in august that was fun. I go with a standard pair of cross trainers, since like I said I lift too. Can't offer much in the way of training except to build up your distance over time, give yourself recovery days, and if youre looking to improve speed, intervals are great. Not really into long distance running though.

Cor Shan
11-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I used to run a lot, got down to a 40:11 10km... I then gave it up since I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as swimming/lifting/kayaking.

OTOH I still do stuff like 19km up the side of a mountain, but thats because its interesting. Doing a 6km loop around my school sounds horribly boring.

Sarevok
11-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Doing a 6km loop around my school sounds horribly boring.

This is the reason I don't run. :)

I ride my bike now and then when I'm bored, though...
Does riding to work for 25 min count too?

fdsaf3
11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I started running in high school as a recreational thing to do while I played basketball. I've never been on a team or had any coaching or anything, so take what I'm saying with that in mind.

For me, motivation isn't really an issue. I like running. I go out 5-6 times per week and just run around until I feel tired. I rarely (if ever) keep track of how far I run. I've never timed myself, so I don't know anything about splits or times or whatever. When I run on a treadmill, I jog at about 6 mph and "jog hard" at about 6.5. I have no idea if this is fast, slow, or in between.

For me, running is about the peace of mind it gives me. My mind is freakishly overactive. Sometimes it's to the point where I'm kind of desperate to have it slow down so I can think coherently about something. When I run, I sort of do a run-meditate thing that really works for me. I put on some music (combination of death metal, screamo, and electronica/d&b) and just zone out. I have a few standard courses that I run. I'm not totally sure about the mileage, but I think the short is about 3, the medium is about 4.5, and the long is about 6.

One thing that's unique about me is that I never let myself not finish once I start. I have this ability within myself to simply keep pushing despite how bad it sucks and finish the run. Sometimes if I'm having a really bad day I will stop and walk a bit before continuing, but I don't hold myself accountable for that (meaning I don't beat myself up). I basically decide before I start if I want to do the short, medium, or long course, and then go. I mentally give myself permission to fail (i.e. walk if needed), which is a relief. I used to force myself to keep running, and if I ever had to stop for a break I would just beat myself up over it nonstop. That ruined my morale and killed the mood, so I stopped doing that.

For shoes, I just go to the shoe store and buy whatever basic Nike or Aasics running shoes I can find (I'm a size 15, so my shoe options are quite limited).

I've done a few organized long-distance runs, including a few 5K races and 2 organized 10-mile runs. They are fun, but not really my style. I don't like running to compete. As I said, I do it for the peace of mind it gives me.

I hope something in what I wrote helps someone.

Sei'taer
11-07-2011, 06:57 PM
I started running in high school as a recreational thing to do while I played basketball. I've never been on a team or had any coaching or anything, so take what I'm saying with that in mind.

For me, motivation isn't really an issue. I like running. I go out 5-6 times per week and just run around until I feel tired. I rarely (if ever) keep track of how far I run. I've never timed myself, so I don't know anything about splits or times or whatever. When I run on a treadmill, I jog at about 6 mph and "jog hard" at about 6.5. I have no idea if this is fast, slow, or in between.

For me, running is about the peace of mind it gives me. My mind is freakishly overactive. Sometimes it's to the point where I'm kind of desperate to have it slow down so I can think coherently about something. When I run, I sort of do a run-meditate thing that really works for me. I put on some music (combination of death metal, screamo, and electronica/d&b) and just zone out. I have a few standard courses that I run. I'm not totally sure about the mileage, but I think the short is about 3, the medium is about 4.5, and the long is about 6.

One thing that's unique about me is that I never let myself not finish once I start. I have this ability within myself to simply keep pushing despite how bad it sucks and finish the run. Sometimes if I'm having a really bad day I will stop and walk a bit before continuing, but I don't hold myself accountable for that (meaning I don't beat myself up). I basically decide before I start if I want to do the short, medium, or long course, and then go. I mentally give myself permission to fail (i.e. walk if needed), which is a relief. I used to force myself to keep running, and if I ever had to stop for a break I would just beat myself up over it nonstop. That ruined my morale and killed the mood, so I stopped doing that.

For shoes, I just go to the shoe store and buy whatever basic Nike or Aasics running shoes I can find (I'm a size 15, so my shoe options are quite limited).

I've done a few organized long-distance runs, including a few 5K races and 2 organized 10-mile runs. They are fun, but not really my style. I don't like running to compete. As I said, I do it for the peace of mind it gives me.

I hope something in what I wrote helps someone.

I run when someone chases me.

I am asking for a new mountain bike for Christmas because my old one bit the dust in a harsh way.

I'm down to 194 lbs from a high of 267 lbs.

Khoram
11-07-2011, 07:58 PM
My mom used to be in a band, and the sound technician got ahold of a program for running - it's an 8-week program where you start off slow, and gradually increase your output. It also includes ideas for meals. Anywho, he's been on this far longer than the 8 weeks (actually, it's been about a year now - now he's going 6 days a week) and he's lost 80 lbs.*

I've been thinking about signing up for a race that's taking place in February, but I don't know if I'll be ready for it, especially considering I haven't been running much lately, but we'll see. My dad's definitely up to it. I'll just have to reach 10 km, and (hopefully) be able to run it relatively quickly. But right now, I just want to be able to run it.

The last time I ran in a race was in grade 5, and it was only 3 km. I still, to this day, don't know why I decided to put myself through that torture. :/

*The program is, as far as I know, called "Get Ready to Run Training Program" - it was published in the Montreal Gazette oh, about 4 years ago. I don't know exactly how long it's been around. :S

Sei'taer
11-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Maybe someone can help me out to and I don't have to start another thread.

My old bike was a mongoose with a shimano kit and 26" wheels. I'm looking for a nice bike that won't break after 4 years of torturous riding...let's just say i'm not easy on a bike.

I'm fine with upgrading one, but I want to stay away from one with rear shocks (I hated them on my mongoose) and I'm trying to stay below $500. I've heard that it's best to stay away from rear shocks when you aren't spending over a grand (I wish I had known that before).

Now, here's my problem; I'm 6'2" and I need a 26" or 27" wheel. I'm looking at bikes and the frames are so short I feel like I'm looking straight down at the front wheel, like I'm hanging over it. It makes for hard times when I try to pick up the front wheel or hop the bike because basically all my weight is on the front fork. Is there a bike out there that has a stretched frame for taller riders? I'm starting to get the feeling that they've quit making them the way my old mongoose was for some reason or another.

Anybody have any ideas?

Davian93
11-07-2011, 08:28 PM
I used to run 5Ks and 10Ks pretty regularly when I was in the army (pre back injury days). With a 10 K, you just zone out about 2 miles in and its over before you know it. A 5k is a freaking sprint in comparison. 5k really isnt a big distance when it comes to running.

We used to run "10ks" pretty much twice a week in my unit and our times were usually pretty competitive considering we ran them in formation in the A Group (top running group I was in). I think on average we were in the 35-40 min range on 10 Ks and around 17-18 min on most 5 K runs we did. We had a couple speedsters that could hit low 30s on the 10 K and 15-16 min on a 5 K but I wasnt one of them.

Now I could easily match those times...if I were in my car.

Ivhon
11-07-2011, 09:53 PM
S'funny. To me 10k has always seemed a brutal distance to run. Yet I would swim 12k every day back when.

Minds and bodies are funny things...

Khoram
11-07-2011, 11:20 PM
10 km sounds much further than, say, 6 miles. Which is why, when I generally talk about how far I've run in the past, I talk kilometres, and not miles. XD
I used to run 5Ks and 10Ks pretty regularly when I was in the army (pre back injury days). With a 10 K, you just zone out about 2 miles in and its over before you know it. A 5k is a freaking sprint in comparison. 5k really isnt a big distance when it comes to running.

We used to run "10ks" pretty much twice a week in my unit and our times were usually pretty competitive considering we ran them in formation in the A Group (top running group I was in). I think on average we were in the 35-40 min range on 10 Ks and around 17-18 min on most 5 K runs we did. We had a couple speedsters that could hit low 30s on the 10 K and 15-16 min on a 5 K but I wasnt one of them.

Now I could easily match those times...if I were in my car.

Now: would this be in full combat gear, or in PT gear? :D Cause if it was in full combat gear, I'd be extremely impressed. ;)

Davian93
11-07-2011, 11:25 PM
10 km sounds much further than, say, 6 miles. Which is why, when I generally talk about how far I've run in the past, I talk kilometres, and not miles. XD

Now: would this be in full combat gear, or in PT gear? :D Cause if it was in full combat gear, I'd be extremely impressed. ;)

God no...PT gear. I'd be impressed too if it was combat gear.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-08-2011, 03:05 AM
I hate running, although not as much as I hate biking (bizarre, I know. I really suck at biking). But I like rowing and walking. Seriously, I'll walk circles around you runners.

Bryan Blaire
11-08-2011, 10:42 AM
I used to run, 'specially for ROTC and the military (but never really liked it, always preferred marching with gear instead) then my femur shattered and I got a bunch of metal installed. Now I fast walk and do a little jogging, which is sadly about all my leg seems willing to handle.

I did used to get a really light, weird feeling while I was running like I was disconnected while doing it. Not sure if that was runner's high or not, but it could get really freaky. Could also have been my legs telling me that one day they were going to make me pay for the abuse...

Davian93
11-08-2011, 10:44 AM
I used to run, 'specially for ROTC and the military (but never really liked it, always preferred marching with gear instead) then my femur shattered and I got a bunch of metal installed. Now I fast walk and do a little jogging, which is sadly about all my leg seems willing to handle.I did used to get a really light, weird feeling while I was running like I was disconnected while doing it. Not sure if that was runner's high or not, but it could get really freaky.

Just drink some water and change your socks...you'll be fine.

Bryan Blaire
11-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Just drink some water and change your socks...you'll be fine.

You forgot "tighten them laces, it'll help the splints" and "take the 800 mg ibuprofen, that an cure anything, including cancer."

:D

Khoram
11-08-2011, 11:06 AM
You forgot "tighten them laces, it'll help the splints" and "take the 800 mg ibuprofen, that can cure anything, including cancer."

It's true. I've seen it done. ;)

Davian93
11-08-2011, 11:15 AM
You forgot "tighten them laces, it'll help the splints" and "take the 800 mg ibuprofen, that an cure anything, including cancer."

I think I still have bottles of 800 mg ibuprofen from my time in...and I got out in 2004. Its a cure all you know.

Ishara
11-08-2011, 11:54 AM
I ran the 10 mile in May, and then promptly fell off the wagon (or the trainers).

I have run a couple of miles here and there, but I am woefully unmotivated at present. I do plan to run the 10 mile again next year, and training starts in January, so I will be lacing up eventually.

Shoe-wise, I love the barefoot movement: shoes with lots of flexibility and little support to mimic natural movement. I have the Sketchers Run, and I love them! (when I actually get out to run).

@ Ishara- I didn't get the runner's high until I hit 4 miles- (6.4 k) - and boy do you feel like you can do anything in that state!
OWWW. The idea of running in bare feet actually hurt me just now. My feet/ ankles are so effing bad that there's no way I could do that. Neutral Saucony's with a custom insole for me, baby.

To be completely honest, I've never felt a runner's high...at least not one that I can remember. The best I get is a feeling of relief when I'm done, and a generally relaxed and pleasurably tired feeling for the rest of the day.*

As for self-talk, I use that more to finish a run than to actually get out there. I've basically made running part of my life and my schedule. Now if I don't go in the morning, I feel guilty, sluggish, and fat all day. I think the key is just making it a habit. Yes, it sucks at first, but it does start to feel better, believe me. The other big thing to do is what I think Brita did--sign up for a race. That is the single best motivator I know of.

For music, I have a big list. I go for upbeat stuff with a beat, and usually with lyrics I can lose myself to. Alternatively (and somewhat counterintuitively) I find talk radio to be comforting on runs. It's distracting, and I can catch up on news while I'm out there. I'll try to dig up some music from my playlist, though, if you want. :)

Yes to music! I like harder core stuff or really upbeat stuff to push me through a run. Eminem, Black Eyed Peas, Dropkick Murphys, Bieber (shut up), Kesha, and Linkin Park are standard on the running playlist.

I think for me it's the habit building part that gets in the way every.single.time. Once I'm there, it's fine, and I'll have a good workout, even if it is agony. It's more a matter of getting my ass in gear that's at issue.

Maybe someone can help me out to and I don't have to start another thread.

My old bike was a mongoose with a shimano kit and 26" wheels. I'm looking for a nice bike that won't break after 4 years of torturous riding...let's just say i'm not easy on a bike.

I'm fine with upgrading one, but I want to stay away from one with rear shocks (I hated them on my mongoose) and I'm trying to stay below $500. I've heard that it's best to stay away from rear shocks when you aren't spending over a grand (I wish I had known that before).

Now, here's my problem; I'm 6'2" and I need a 26" or 27" wheel. I'm looking at bikes and the frames are so short I feel like I'm looking straight down at the front wheel, like I'm hanging over it. It makes for hard times when I try to pick up the front wheel or hop the bike because basically all my weight is on the front fork. Is there a bike out there that has a stretched frame for taller riders? I'm starting to get the feeling that they've quit making them the way my old mongoose was for some reason or another.

Anybody have any ideas?
I'll ask Chris - he's big into biking.
S'funny. To me 10k has always seemed a brutal distance to run. Yet I would swim 12k every day back when.

Minds and bodies are funny things...

Gah. Me too - but on a far lesser scale. Swimmng was sooo much easier - always!

Sei'taer
11-08-2011, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=Ishara;168712

I'll ask Chris - he's big into biking.

[/QUOTE]

That'd be awesome. I rode Al's bike last night and today my back is killing me. She actually likes the way it's set up, but it drives me insane. It hurts me peewee too and that's not ever a good thing.

I've been trying to see if I could fix my old bike, but it's looking like it's not going to be possible. I'd need to weld the shock bracket back on and buy a new rear fork and gear set. Looks like it'd cost as much as a new bike.

Crispin's Crispian
11-08-2011, 01:01 PM
I think you should go to a bike shop and see what they can do. They'll probably take measurements of your inseam, height, etc. to find the right frame. It's definitely more about frame size (tube length) than wheels. I am in the same boat as you, ST--6'2" and the bike I have doesn't fit me at all. If feel really awkward riding it, as well as feeling really slow.

Yes to music! I like harder core stuff or really upbeat stuff to push me through a run. Eminem, Black Eyed Peas, Dropkick Murphys, Bieber (shut up), Kesha, and Linkin Park are standard on the running playlist.

Sounds a bit like mine, sans the last three. ;)

Some of my favorites in no order are:

Stronger - Kanye West
Everlong - Foo Fighters
Couldn't Get It Right - Climax Blues Band
Fighter - Christina Aguilera
Survivor - Destiny's Child
I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash (esp. good at the end of a hard run)
Fireworks - The Tragically Hip
Home - Marc Broussard (good hill song)
Coming Home - Diddy
I Know What I Am - Band of Skulls
Aenema - Tool (another good hill song)
Sober - P!nk
Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
From the Ritz to the Rubble - Arctic Monkeys
Gone Daddy Gone - Gnarls Barkley
Steal My Kisses - Ben Harper
Panic Switch - Silversun Pickups

I also have tons of White Stripes, Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers Band, and Pearl Jam ("Backspacer", esp.)

Brita
11-08-2011, 01:02 PM
I did used to get a really light, weird feeling while I was running like I was disconnected while doing it. Not sure if that was runner's high or not, but it could get really freaky.

Ya, this is what I feel when I've pushed myself pretty hard. I feel disconnected, but in a way that feels like I am a super hero trapped in a mortal body and now that I have tapped into my superhero powers I can make this mortal body do anything.

Also, when I am really having a tough time, I put on epic music and imagine I am running to fulfill some sort of grand mission like Frodo or Laura Secord ;) If it's raining it's even better.

Crispin's Crispian
11-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Also, when I am really having a tough time, I put on epic music and imagine I am running to fulfill some sort of grand mission like Frodo or Laura Secord ;) If it's raining it's even better.
There's definitely something to be said for an epic (or emotionally charged) song during a really hard stretch of a long run. Especially if it's really early morning and you're already tired.

Khoram
11-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I won't deny it that I occasionally had thoughts of grandeur and epicness float through my mind when I've run in the past. I have recurring images of myself, in some sort of epic fantasy, running away from Trollocs and Myrdraal chasing me on Winternight with my friends...

This is all becoming too familiar, now... XD

Brita
11-08-2011, 01:19 PM
I won't deny it that I occasionally had thoughts of grandeur and epicness float through my mind when I've run in the past. I have recurring images of myself, in some sort of epic fantasy, running away from Trollocs and Myrdraal chasing me on Winternight with my friends...

This is all becoming too familiar, now... XD

I am glad I am not the only one! I was at a board meeting, we were discussing running, I mentioned this little aspect of my running adventures, and the Chair of the board looked at me like I was crazy...actually, I think he said I was crazy :P

Zombie Sammael
11-08-2011, 01:32 PM
I did actually go running this morning. On my way to the gym on my bike - I do weights training in the gym, plus rowing for upper body aero - my pedal snapped off, so I had to take into a local bike shop. This left me with not enough time for my gym workout, so I did what I could but had to take off quickly. Fortunately, my gym is located just off a local park which is quite a convenient cut through back to home, so I decided to run through...

...lasted about 100 metres. I cannot run for ****. I can and do cycle miles on end, but running just kills me dead straight away. Won't be trying that again.

Gilshalos Sedai
11-08-2011, 01:57 PM
I used to use Runner's High to break through Writer's Block. Of course, like most things while under the influence, it made no sense when I went to write it down.

I started running after college since I was a broke-assed first year teacher and couldn't afford any other way to work out and release stress that didn't involve beating my grade-chair's head in with one of my student's desks. In about a year, I made it to a ten minute mile and was running 3 miles every other day.

I miss running like that. In 2000, some jackass hit me from behind and herniated two of my disks. I've been in and out of physical therapy ever since. (And people KEEP hitting me!)

Right now, I'm trying to get back into the physical therapy stretches and plan to try to go back to running, but I'm starting from further back than I have since I first started running. When I have run, I prefer Nike Shox since they fit my weird triangular feet and protect my back from the impact of running. I'm currently trying out a lighter weight Nike shoe, which I can't remember the name of at the moment.

(And no, due to the nature of my injury, biking isn't an option.)

Sei'taer
11-08-2011, 02:18 PM
I think you should go to a bike shop and see what they can do. They'll probably take measurements of your inseam, height, etc. to find the right frame. It's definitely more about frame size (tube length) than wheels. I am in the same boat as you, ST--6'2" and the bike I have doesn't fit me at all. If feel really awkward riding it, as well as feeling really slow.

So I'm not insane when I complain about the length of the frame then? I've been to three bike shops and they all act like they don't know what I'm talking about. I ask them why the frame is so short and they look at me like I'm crazy. Of course, these guys are 5'5" and 130 lbs too. I even argued with one about whether the frame was modeled after a road bike (where it's good to be farther over the handlebars) and he said that the frames were made diffrently. Yeah, one is made for hammering through the woods, the other is made for slipping down the road. I know they're different, but they way I sit on them feels the same.

I'm going to have to reearch frame length then and go somewhere a little better prepared.

Crispin's Crispian
11-08-2011, 03:40 PM
These are kind of helpful:

REI: Fitting Your Bike (http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/bike+fit.html)

Bike Fit (http://bicycleuniverse.info/eqp/fit.html)

Zaela Sedai
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I know at least one other Theorylander runs on a regular basis (Happy Half, Z), and I believe a few others do as well.

I'm currently training for a half-marathon in December, and just finished this year's 10K series for Oregon Road Runners Club. I figured it might be fun to talk about training, why you run, your shoes...whatever.

So. Did anyone watch the NYC Marathon yesterday? Or run it? What an incredible finish!

Thanks dude! It was a good time since it was on my home stomping (running) grounds.

Believe it or not I ran my first 5k in April at a brilliant 39 min something (and yes I ran the whole thing. I started running in March LOL The goal was to run a 10k by the end of the year but I did that in June and ran two Half Marathons since lol. the one this past Saturday I avg 10:50/mile which isn't too shabby from the 40 min 5ks earlier this year.

I think my key to training is running with people, I'd rather talk the whole way then listen to music. I have a friend who I run with during lunch on the trail near by and we'll get 2 miles in, then once a week I try to get 5/6 in and through in a few long runs when we can. I hit a wall if I try to run more than 5/6 alone. But that's just me.

SDog - if you can run 8 you can do a half. I got my friend up to 10 before this past Saturday and he did great. Just go about a minute slower than your usual pace. And bring some GU Chomps. Yum, I used to use the gel (blech) but the chomps are tasty. My routine for long runs (10+) is

Cliff/Luna bar
DD Coffee
1 Excedrin migraine/3 Ibuprofen (Because I'm getting old - no seriously I have to keep the inflammation down in a muscle I pulled, it'll get better in the winter while I ski...right? RIGHT!!!??)
fuel belt w/ low cal gatorade (sugary makes me feel sick) and water
bag o' chomps (w/caffiene)

Sounds Healthy doesn't it? LOL

Shoe wise I'm rockin the New Balance for my short fat feet, I have a horribly high arch and dealt with plantar fasciitis earlier this year cause I had the wrong ones. Horrible I tell you... I'm not for running barefoot, the training is too much lol, and I like my support.

I'm toying with the idea of running a marathon for my 30th birthday...I'm not sure. I think we're doing the ragnar relay next year though. That should be fun.

And if you haven't done it, the Warrior Dash is SO much fun. The New England one is actually in CT this year so we're doing it again :D

Davian93
11-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I think my key to training is running with people, I'd rather talk the whole way then listen to music. I have a friend who I run with during lunch on the trail near by and we'll get 2 miles in, then once a week I try to get 5/6 in and through in a few long runs when we can. I hit a wall if I try to run more than 5/6 alone. But that's just me.

I've always felt that was true as well. People tend to push each other harder in any sort of physical training situation. We always ran far harder in a group compared to individual PT test runs.

Shoe wise I'm rockin the New Balance for my short fat feet

I always liked New Balance...very solid running shoes. The best pair of running shoes I ever had were Asics.

Khoram
11-08-2011, 06:26 PM
And if you haven't done it, the Warrior Dash is SO much fun. The New England one is actually in CT this year so we're doing it again :D

Sounds exhilarating. Don't know if we have anything close to that up here.

So I've convinced my dad to run the race in February - now to work towards it. And I should find out when exactly it's taking place. :D

This'll be fun. XD

Zaela Sedai
11-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Total awesome sauce.. they had one in Ontario and British Columbia...

http://warriordash.com/

This was us when finished...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/Zaela/262256_10150677294370179_752570178_19440031_412116 5_n.jpg

Brita
11-08-2011, 08:32 PM
And bring some GU Chomps. Yum, I used to use the gel (blech) but the chomps are tasty.

The gel and the jelly beans both make me feel like puking. Are these GU Chomps chewy? They sit better in your stomach? I'd love to find something that works. I ended up using the jelly beans (and water and gatorade)during my 10 mile, but they sure don't sit well in my tummy :(

Gilshalos Sedai
11-08-2011, 08:36 PM
What's so good about New Balance? Every time I try them, my heels move around like the inside of shoe is greased.

Davian93
11-08-2011, 08:46 PM
What's so good about New Balance? Every time I try them, my heels move around like the inside of shoe is greased.

It depends on your foot width and arch type. It may be that New Balance simply dont work for you...or you might be getting the wrong size. Personally, I loved them and went through several pairs over the years. That pair of Asics was ridiculous though. Never had a better running shoe than those.

I suddenly want to try running again...despite knowing I will almost certainly throw out my back within 1-2 days of it. I miss the freedom of it.

Res_Ipsa
11-08-2011, 08:52 PM

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7660/samuraiu.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/samuraiu.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

The white samurai does not like mud apparently. His haircut just made me go with it, and MS Paint helps too.

Sei'taer
11-08-2011, 09:20 PM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7660/samuraiu.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/samuraiu.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

The white samurai does not like mud apparently. His haircut just made me go with it, and MS Paint helps too.

LMAO!!

Khoram
11-08-2011, 11:37 PM

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/Zaela/262256_10150677294370179_752570178_19440031_412116 5_n.jpg

I see you all shaved your chins... :D Tsk tsk. I'm sure all the other warriors looked down upon you. ;)

So now I wanna participate in one of these awesome expeditions. All I need to do now is did the time, best spot, money to get to said spot, etc. XD

Ishara
11-09-2011, 08:42 AM
I had a friend who did the Warrior Dash this year in Ontario and had SO much fun! I didn't realize it was a multiple place sort of thing!

And Gil, if it helps,New balance eat my feet right up. I can't go a block without the nastiest blisters in life. Saucony works wonders for me.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Used to run, loved it, then like Gil I had a herniated disc that curtailed me (unlike Gil I was NOT hit by a car lol).

All this chatter makes me wanna go home and pull out the old shoes.

Warrior Dash was in Michigan this year too, I had a bunch of pals go. Looked like a blast, but INSANE.

Zae, did you get the hat before or was it a reward for finishing. And the guy behind you with no mud...faker/poser. Has the shoes, but had no intention of gettin' dirty. Which, from what I have heard, is IMPOSSIBLE in the Dash.

Khoram
11-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Which, from what I have heard, is IMPOSSIBLE in the Dash.

Challenge accepted!

Zaela Sedai
11-09-2011, 04:20 PM
You guys are too much... The Dash has waves that start every 30 mins, he obviously hadn't gone yet... but I was wondering who would catch that, you didn't disappoint!!!

Gil shoes are totally different strokes for different folks. I can't do Nikes, far too narrow and blister my feet like a bitch.

@Brita - are you drinking regular gatorade? I know if I do I risk puking in the woods. The beans dont bother me, but to me the chomps actually taste YUMMY they are big but the melt quick...unless they are super cold.

Khoram
11-09-2011, 05:57 PM
You guys are too much... The Dash has waves that start every 30 mins, he obviously hadn't gone yet... but I was wondering who would catch that, you didn't disappoint!!!

OR...

MAYBE he's just really good at showering and changing - he could very well have been in your heat, and jumped into a stream or whatever body of water was nearby... and then his hair is so curly that, when tied up like that, it LOOKS dry... and he happened to have a spare shirt... XD :{P <--- (Movember)

Zaela Sedai
11-10-2011, 12:09 AM
They literally set up a "shower" that was made by a Jet engine that shoots water a.k.a tiny shards of glass at you.

LOL

Khoram
11-10-2011, 10:45 AM
They literally set up a "shower" that was made by a Jet engine that shoots water a.k.a tiny shards of glass at you.

LOL
EXACTLY! What's wrong with that? If you can get through the Warrior Dash, one must assume that you can also withstand showers of tiny shards of glass in order to get cleared of all mud and grime from that day.

That's the indication of a true Warrior. :D

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Gilshalos Sedai
11-10-2011, 11:28 AM
I only asked about NB and the others because everyone likes to tell me I'm buying into Nike's hype and being a snob. So, thanks for telling me it's NOT all in my head. LOL That they really do work best for my weird-assed, acute triangle feet.

I do have to put in arch supports though. Mine fell when I was 9. I still have a slight arch, but it's barely there.

Crispin's Crispian
11-10-2011, 01:12 PM

Nothing's particularly special about them. If you're serious and you have specific issues with shoes and feet, I'd go to a running store (if you have one) and have them evaluate you. They'll do it for free, though it will guilt you into buying shoes. They check out your feet, watch you run, etc.

SDog - if you can run 8 you can do a half. I got my friend up to 10 before this past Saturday and he did great. Just go about a minute slower than your usual pace. And bring some GU Chomps. Yum, I used to use the gel (blech) but the chomps are tasty.Oh I've already done two half-marathons. I finished both about one minute apart time-wise, so I'm really looking to cut that down. I need to do longer long runs, so I'm working into that too. It's a serious pain to find the time, though. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Zaela Sedai
11-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Oh , I sry.

I totally know what you mean... it would be easier if it wasn't such a bitch to push a jogging stroller THAT far.

Crispin's Crispian
11-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Oh , I sry.

I totally know what you mean... it would be easier if it wasn't such a bitch to push a jogging stroller THAT far.

Oh geez...can you imagine?! Of course, I haven't pushed a jogging stroller in five years. I recall it actually being a decent workout on its own, kind of like running hills.

Khoram
11-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh geez...can you imagine?! Of course, I haven't pushed a jogging stroller in five years. I recall it actually being a decent workout on its own, kind of like running hills.

Ugh. Running hills are the worst. Walking up steep embankments are perfectly fine, but running up hills is absolutely horrendous.

I don't like them, to say the least.

Oh, and on the topic of jogging strollers... No experience with them, and I don't think I will have experience with them anytime soon. :D

Gilshalos Sedai
11-11-2011, 10:34 AM
SDog: Thanks, but this is Houston, one of the fattest cities in the US. I think the nearest real running shoe store is in Austin. LOL

Maybe I'll stop in one on my next visit there. :D

In the meantime, back to the back stretches so I can eventually handle running again.

Crispin's Crispian
11-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Well, you could always run barefoot. It's all the rage now, for some reason. It gets a lot of coverage (such as it is) in running magazines and on websites.

I'm sure your doctor or a podiatrist could recommend the right kind of shoe. I forgot about Houston. You should have seen all the weird looks we got when we were running around in Mississippi. LOL

Khoram
11-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Well, you could always run barefoot. It's all the rage now, for some reason. It gets a lot of coverage (such as it is) in running magazines and on websites.

I'm sure your doctor or a podiatrist could recommend the right kind of shoe. I forgot about Houston. You should have seen all the weird looks we got when we were running around in Mississippi. LOL
That's sad, really. People looking at you funny cause you're out running. :(

On the issue of running barefoot - apparently it has been proven to be better for you - it causes you to run on the balls of your feet (which is what I was trying to do when I was running more often) and you can apparently run much larger distances. Granted, I got all my info from Sports Science, but I digress. XD

Gilshalos Sedai
11-11-2011, 11:39 AM

MY back would really quit if I did that.

Well, strangely, running is still done here a lot. After all we host our own city marathon in the spring and the Susan G. Komen in the fall. But, specialty running stores are rare. They're usually the chain stores like Academy, Finishline, Foot Locker, etc. And none of those will do what you said. Unfortunately.

GonzoTheGreat
11-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Well, you could always run barefoot. It's all the rage now, for some reason.Probably because of the Tea Party; and you're only allowed to run that way in the kitchen.

Davian93
11-11-2011, 04:38 PM

Well, strangely, running is still done here a lot. After all we host our own city marathon in the spring and the Susan G. Komen in the fall. But, specialty running stores are rare. They're usually the chain stores like Academy, Finishline, Foot Locker, etc. And none of those will do what you said. Unfortunately.

You work your way up to real distances and it rebuilds muscles you never use in your foot/ankles/calfs

Those 5 finger shoes I have that you guys made fun of me for are used for barefoot running among other things. I hike everywhere in them and they're awesome.

Khoram
11-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Those 5 finger shoes I have that you guys made fun of me for are used for barefoot running among other things. I hike everywhere in them and they're awesome.

And yet... :rolleyes:

They look absolutely ridiculous (I think). I'd rather run completely barefoot, personally. :D I saw a guy on the metro wearing them once... Once.

Davian93
11-11-2011, 06:52 PM
And yet... :rolleyes:

They look absolutely ridiculous (I think). I'd rather run completely barefoot, personally. :D I saw a guy on the metro wearing them once... Once.

Go try a pair on...they're awesome.

Khoram
11-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Go try a pair on...they're awesome.

When I look at them, I think of those socks... I'm not too interested in them. If I see them at a store, I'll make sure to try them on, though.

Just for you, Dav. ;)

Zaela Sedai
11-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Gil - you have a Fleet Feet - they should be able to help you, one of the best here in CT. http://www.fleetfeethouston.com/

Zaela Sedai
11-11-2011, 07:00 PM
I can push the stroller 6 miles...tops, before I want to kill myself LOL

Gilshalos Sedai
11-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Gil - you have a Fleet Feet - they should be able to help you, one of the best here in CT. http://www.fleetfeethouston.com/

Thanks, Zae. Next time I'm in the market to change the tires, so to speak, I'll check them out.

Brita
11-13-2011, 11:46 AM
I would never actually run barefoot (nor could I in my location), but I buy my shoes based on the principle: little-to-no beefed up support, very flexible sole to let the foot flex naturally, and uber-light. It's the kind of shoe I have right now, although they do have shock absorption.

Ishara
11-16-2011, 08:37 AM

What Zae said, or alternatively, go to the person who does your orthodics and they will likely have a good suggestion for a shoe. One of the significant reasons I have a neutral shoe is because I have the orthodics in them - they are supposed to address the issues of foot placement and support - not the shoe.

Gilshalos Sedai
11-16-2011, 12:58 PM
What Zae said, or alternatively, go to the person who does your othodics and they will likely have a good suggestion for a shoe. One of the significant reasons I have a neutral shoe is because I have the orthodics in them - they are supposed to address the issues of foot placement and support - not the shoe.

Uh... No Orthodics, Ishy.

Ishara
11-16-2011, 02:49 PM
DUDE. Why?!

Zaela Sedai
11-16-2011, 04:06 PM
I have orthotics in my shoes too for arch support. Not custom ones though. I have Neutral + shoes and the orthotics for if my plantar fac. acts up, which it usually doesn't. Then I also put them in my shoe if its about time to replace them.

Gilshalos Sedai
11-16-2011, 07:04 PM
DUDE. Why?!

Uh, other than a slight arch support, I don't need them?

Ishara
11-17-2011, 07:21 AM
With your back issues I would DEFINTELY look into them! It's amazing what a good pair can do to align you properly. I mean, it can't hurt, right?

Gilshalos Sedai
11-17-2011, 01:16 PM
With your back issues I would DEFINTELY look into them! It's amazing what a good pair can do to align you properly. I mean, it can't hurt, right?

You'd be surprised.

Figbiscuit
11-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Does anyone use those...tone up shoes? Can't think what else to call them and can't remember the proper name. I know Sketchers and Nike do them - they have a curved sole and are supposed to apparently tone your bum and things with EVERY STEP YOU TAKE!!

Kind of tossing up the idea of buying some for dog walking, they're expensive, but if I'm out there every day anyway...right?

Khoram
11-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Does anyone use those...tone up shoes? Can't think what else to call them and can't remember the proper name. I know Sketchers and Nike do them - they have a curved sole and are supposed to apparently tone your bum and things with EVERY STEP YOU TAKE!!

Kind of tossing up the idea of buying some for dog walking, they're expensive, but if I'm out there every day anyway...right?

Nope. Don't own a pair. I can't really picture them - right now, I have the picture of those Nike shoes with those weird-looking soles with the holes in them (can't describe it much better than that XD). Are those the ones you're talking about?

Hey, if they help tone you, no matter where, I could (read should) probably try them out - just to see if they hold water. :D

Figbiscuit
11-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Well I should not be so lazy, it took me all of about 3 seconds to find this http://www.skechers.co.uk/style/12340/shape-ups-kinetix-response-srt/wsnv link, which shows exactly what I mean.

Crispin's Crispian
11-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Do toning shoes really work? (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/toning-shoes/AN02122)

No.

Seems like you'd be better off just walking around barefoot or jogging on some trails.

Khoram
11-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Do toning shoes really work? (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/toning-shoes/AN02122)

No.

Seems like you'd be better off just walking around barefoot or jogging on some trails.

Alas, there's no secret trick to toning. :( Which makes sense, mind you. :rolleyes:

Ishara
11-21-2011, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to hear that did help with propriaceptor muscles though, given that your natural state of balance is affected by these shoes and their roundy bottoms.

Sarevok
11-21-2011, 01:10 PM
I have an aunt and an uncle who are really enthousiastic about those. Not because of the toning part, but because it forces them to stand up straight, which apparently helps against back issues.
Note that he's a teacher and... I'm not sure what her job is, but that too involves a lot of standing.

Crispin's Crispian
11-21-2011, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to hear that did help with propriaceptor muscles though, given that your natural state of balance is affected by these shoes and their roundy bottoms.
Or they just help you to adapt to wearing roundy-bottomed shoes. ;)

I'm sure there are other studies out there. I just can't be...uh...bothered to find them.

Figbiscuit
11-22-2011, 06:33 AM
I thought it was probably too good to be true. However...

I have an aunt and an uncle who are really enthousiastic about those. Not because of the toning part, but because it forces them to stand up straight, which apparently helps against back issues.
Note that he's a teacher and... I'm not sure what her job is, but that too involves a lot of standing.

I will give them some consideration then. I have some niggles in my lower back which I know concentrating on my posture improves, so anything else which will help that is no bad thing. Plus I'm out with the dog anyway, they can't really hinder. Although they do look a bit daft, and I'm not sure whether I'd actually wear them to the gym, I do like my air cushioned soles for cardio work.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-22-2011, 07:06 AM

No.

I actually own a pair of those. And indeed, they don't do diddly squat if you don't use them. If you do use them though they make a different set of your muscles work, which startles the body and does give a result. Pretty much same result as changing your weightlifting scheme every so many weeks: if you keep doing the same thing over and over again, your body gets used to it and won't react quite as much as before. (for me, worst excercise ever: lifting dumbbells above my head. light ones. death of me, dunno why. probably means I have to do it more though). Anyways, as a variation in your cardio excercise they'll have an effect, but to what extent and for how long very much depends on the individual.

ETA: one of the excercises I had to do to get my knee pains down - which were caused by a muscle that for some reason had moved to where it wasn't supposed to be and therefore was weaker than the same muscle in my other leg and therefore was pulling weirdly at my knee - was to balance on one foot on a pillow of air. did work. I think the idea of these shoes is that you're walking as if you're on 2 pillows of air, then in theory it really should work. Practice is something really different though.

I thought it was probably too good to be true. However...

I will give them some consideration then. I have some niggles in my lower back which I know concentrating on my posture improves, so anything else which will help that is no bad thing. Plus I'm out with the dog anyway, they can't really hinder. Although they do look a bit daft, and I'm not sure whether I'd actually wear them to the gym, I do like my air cushioned soles for cardio work.

niggles on your lower back - unless it's a nerve thing - may come from overtension in your upper back or generally weak core muscles. In my case it's a crooked spine (eek, this post looks like I'm one big walking injury. I'm not, really. Both of these abnormalities are nothing serious, just a tad uncomfortable sometimes) but I've found that strengthening my core muscles really helps. I'd suggest weight excercises for both the back and the stomach (a big excercise ball is awesome!). Or, if you don't feel like fussing about with machines and stuff, you can do this: lie down flat on your belly, cross your wrists on your back and raise your shoulders and upper body from the ground as far as you can, then lower again. Keep control the whole time, don't let yourself just flop down. Repeat 3 or 4 sets of 15-20 times. once or twice a week and you'll notice a change (other than the soreness of excercise, that is) in about a month.

Figbiscuit
11-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks yks. I have been working quite extensively on my core muscles for the last year or so at the gym, and that has been the biggest improvement I could have made. You also hit the nail on the head with upper back tension - sometimes I think I'm just one big mass of tension, however I also practice yoga as well as gym workouts, have done for quite a few years now, and find that has helped both muscular strains and tension more than anything else I've ever done. Having said that sometimes I think I would be in a lot less pain if I just did less (i.e. no) exercise...:rolleyes:

Based on the fact that you are the only person I've seen who actually owns a pair of these trainers, and you've found them to be effective, then I am much more swayed than I was. I'm all for shocking my body with something different to produce an effect :D

yks 6nnetu hing
11-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks yks. I have been working quite extensively on my core muscles for the last year or so at the gym, and that has been the biggest improvement I could have made. You also hit the nail on the head with upper back tension - sometimes I think I'm just one big mass of tension, however I also practice yoga as well as gym workouts, have done for quite a few years now, and find that has helped both muscular strains and tension more than anything else I've ever done. Having said that sometimes I think I would be in a lot less pain if I just did less (i.e. no) exercise...:rolleyes:

Based on the fact that you are the only person I've seen who actually owns a pair of these trainers, and you've found them to be effective, then I am much more swayed than I was. I'm all for shocking my body with something different to produce an effect :D

Lol, for me it's most about variation. I'm not big on cycling for example so I try to vary what I do with simply walking. Switching to high heels is *great* excercise for the old bum and calves. then low heels again gets the thighs going and puts less stress on the joints, then the round soles to startle the balance for a bit, and I can actually feel it working a bit in the core muscles as well, then switch it again...

ETA: today I'm wearing heels about 8 cm high, for example.

Davian93
11-22-2011, 08:59 AM
***ETA: today I'm wearing heels about 8 cm high, for example.***

Yeah, we're gonna need some photos of that.

Giggity.

Figbiscuit
11-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Lol, for me it's most about variation. I'm not big on cycling for example so I try to vary what I do with simply walking. Switching to high heels is *great* excercise for the old bum and calves. then low heels again gets the thighs going and puts less stress on the joints, then the round soles to startle the balance for a bit, and I can actually feel it working a bit in the core muscles as well, then switch it again...

LOVE this.

I can hear the conversation at home now..."Babe, you're gonna have to buy me some more Iron Fist shoes, it's in your best interests cos they're absolutely awesome for my bum" :D

yks 6nnetu hing
11-22-2011, 09:41 AM
***ETA: today I'm wearing heels about 8 cm high, for example.***

Yeah, we're gonna need some photos of that.

Giggity.

oh snap! Dav wants to see shoes! (https://picasaweb.google.com/111388678048359610837/November222011#5677828835109544770) who'da thunk? :D

The flash really screwed up the colour, they're black, really.

Ishara
11-22-2011, 10:14 AM
I actually own a pair of those. And indeed, they don't do diddly squat if you don't use them. If you do use them though they make a different set of your muscles work, which startles the body and does give a result. Pretty much same result as changing your weightlifting scheme every so many weeks: if you keep doing the same thing over and over again, your body gets used to it and won't react quite as much as before. (for me, worst excercise ever: lifting dumbbells above my head. light ones. death of me, dunno why. probably means I have to do it more though). Anyways, as a variation in your cardio excercise they'll have an effect, but to what extent and for how long very much depends on the individual.

ETA: one of the excercises I had to do to get my knee pains down - which were caused by a muscle that for some reason had moved to where it wasn't supposed to be and therefore was weaker than the same muscle in my other leg and therefore was pulling weirdly at my knee - was to balance on one foot on a pillow of air. did work. I think the idea of these shoes is that you're walking as if you're on 2 pillows of air, then in theory it really should work. Practice is something really different though.

niggles on your lower back - unless it's a nerve thing - may come from overtension in your upper back or generally weak core muscles. In my case it's a crooked spine (eek, this post looks like I'm one big walking injury. I'm not, really. Both of these abnormalities are nothing serious, just a tad uncomfortable sometimes) but I've found that strengthening my core muscles really helps. I'd suggest weight excercises for both the back and the stomach (a big excercise ball is awesome!). Or, if you don't feel like fussing about with machines and stuff, you can do this: lie down flat on your belly, cross your wrists on your back and raise your shoulders and upper body from the ground as far as you can, then lower again. Keep control the whole time, don't let yourself just flop down. Repeat 3 or 4 sets of 15-20 times. once or twice a week and you'll notice a change (other than the soreness of excercise, that is) in about a month.

Yup, that standing on the pillow thing is a propriaceptor muscle exercise - and very useful! I have to do mine with my eyes closed, blancing on one foot and then the other. I suck so hard at it, it's almost funny to watch me. I have little to no propriaception left in my ankles and it's supposed to help wake them up and make them not be lazy. So far, they reamin lazy and I remain without balance with my eyes closed. ;)

LOL - a wedge! Can you imagine the sexy librarian vibe happening with those shoes? Cause I can! We know that yks has those sassy glasses anyways. All she needs is a high bun in her hair and a good slow head shake...

Davian93
11-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Go on...

Crispin's Crispian
11-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Can you imagine the sexy librarian vibe happening with those shoes? Cause I can! We know that yks has those sassy glasses anyways. All she needs is a high bun in her hair and a good slow head shake...

Go on...

Yes do. We're assuming she's holding a book or three, tucked under one arm?

Figbiscuit
01-13-2012, 09:13 AM
*bump*

Just to say, I ordered a pair of those tone up trainers we were on about - I found them in a sale reduced from 90 down to 50.

Get ready for a shock, body...

Davian93
01-13-2012, 10:51 AM
*bump*

Just to say, I ordered a pair of those tone up trainers we were on about - I found them in a sale reduced from 90 down to 50.

Get ready for a shock, body...

50 pounds? Wow, that's heavy.

Crispin's Crispian
01-13-2012, 11:56 AM

Wow, they must really work!

Figbiscuit
01-16-2012, 08:43 AM
I celebrate my birthday and Christmas within 48 hours of each other, for which I mostly receive gifts of cold hard cash. If there is ever a time for me to splash an obscene amount of money on a pair of tone-up trainers which may or may not work, it is now. And anyway, I have faith in YKS, and she said she found them effective :cool:

Khoram
01-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Has nybody tried the P90X workout? My brother just got the DVDs the other day and we (my family and I) have come to a unanimous decision to take part in it.

Just wondering if anybody has taken part, or even heard of it.

Crispin's Crispian
01-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Oddly enough, my wife asked for either P90X or Insanity for her birthday. She runs a ton, but hasn't been able to lift weights as often and has always been a fan of home video workouts.

Anyway, I'd also be interested to hear any reviews.

Figbiscuit
01-18-2012, 05:59 AM

Wow, they must really work!

OK, I realise now that I missed the appropriate groan here.

*groan*

But I've worn them for the first time today, walked 45 minutes to work with the pooch and definitely feel like I've exerted more effort to do it than normal. Also my bum and thighs started to ache a bit too, which can only be a good thing.

Zombie Sammael
01-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Okay, so this morning I got a new programme at the gym, working with a new trainer, involving a lot more cardio. I'm gonna be a tired Zombie...

Figbiscuit
01-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Okay, so this morning I got a new programme at the gym, working with a new trainer, involving a lot more cardio. I'm gonna be a tired Zombie...

Only for a few weeks. Then you'll be a super-athletic Zombie ;) Which is a bit of a contradiction in terms...

Zombie Sammael
01-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Only for a few weeks. Then you'll be a super-athletic Zombie ;) Which is a bit of a contradiction in terms...

From corpulent to corpse.