PDA

View Full Version : skyrim

DahLliA
11-11-2011, 09:34 AM
it's awesome. go get it :D

Tamyrlin
11-11-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm waiting for the holiday break in December...I don't have time to devote and it looks too good!

Sarevok
11-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Gamestore... was sold out. :(

Generic toy store... had never heard of it... :eek: But did turn out to have a box of it in the back. :D

Probably won't be till tomorrow afternoon that I'll get to play it, though. I blame this guy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas)

Zombie Sammael
11-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Like Tamyrlin, I am waiting until Christmas, as part of my usual cheap-ass Christmas plan which is to wait until everything has come out and get them all as presents. So far, only minimal misses have taken place with this strategy, which are usually made up for in the sales.

Plus, I'm doing NaNo and I'm still mired in Dark Souls (though getting to the end).

Sarevok
11-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Stupid Steam tries to download the game even if you've got the disk in the player.
Look here to save yourself a few hours of downloading:
http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/452910-installing-skyrim-from-the-dvd/

Edit: nevermind. Stupid thing still insists on downloading it... :mad:

Ivhon
11-11-2011, 06:34 PM
As hard as it is, I'm gonna wait for the price to drop before I buy. It will be a test of willpower, but considering that I haven't technically finished Morrowind much less Oblivion yet, I should have plenty of Elder Scrolls to keep me happy.

Sukoto
11-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Gamestore... was sold out. :(

Generic toy store... had never heard of it... :eek: But did turn out to have a box of it in the back. :D

Probably won't be till tomorrow afternoon that I'll get to play it, though. I blame this guy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas)
Looks like they take elves to the next level over there in the Netherlands. Scary.

Rand al'Fain
11-11-2011, 11:51 PM
RPG games like that tend to test my patience. Within the first 30 minutes or so. At that point, I'm ready to throw my controller through the TV screen.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-12-2011, 09:24 AM
RPG games like that tend to test my patience. Within the first 30 minutes or so. At that point, I'm ready to throw my controller through the TV screen.

I have that with most shooters and "run, jump and click at PRECISELY the right time" type games.

Saw Skyrim on sale today but excercised selfrestraint. I'm still in my 2nd playthrough of Dragon Age 2 and still doing a re-read of WoT, not that much free time to go around. and then there's the fact that I've gotten mildly addicted to the BBC's Strictly come dancing... ok, let's be honest, there's no mildly about it. Glitter! feathers! weeee!

Figbiscuit
11-12-2011, 09:34 AM
I have no knowledge of Skyrim, although there are boat loads of copies at my local supermarket, however STRICTLY! Loving it!! :D

Harry to win!

Hopper
11-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Child has a copy for her PS3. Got it yesterday at noon. She hasn't changed clothes since. I think some time around Tuesday we're going to have to hose her off to keep her from smelling too bad.

We're lucky she went to bed at all last night. She was up at 8 this morning to be the first to the TV so she could play. She's still playing now, but she did take the time to do the dishes earlier.

I may need to play later.

Brita
11-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Pre-ordered in August. Stood in line for the midnight opening. Got it. Had to leave town for my son's hockey tournament. Can't wait to get home and play it!!!!!!

ShadowbaneX
11-12-2011, 02:00 PM

Well, that right there is your problem. You need to be using a keyboard and mouse.

looqas
11-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Skyrim? What new-fangled thing you are talking about?

To be honest it rings a faint bell. Some sort of Oblivion 2.0? Also saw a chucklety web-comic in Penny Arcade about Skyrim.

Honestly don't have time to sink 50+ hours to RPGs like I used to when I was familyless student. Fallout 3 was the last one I tired (sic) to play through but pauses between sessions streched too great so it took a mini-forever to finish the campaign without straying off the main path too much.

But got and started Crysis 2 yesterday. Like it so far.

Ivhon
11-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Skyrim? What new-fangled thing you are talking about?

To be honest it rings a faint bell. Some sort of Oblivion 2.0?

This is where you fail

Res_Ipsa
11-12-2011, 09:00 PM
I took a friend to pick it up at a midnight release. He stayed up for 30hours after that to play the game. So far he likes it but finds the scripted dragons annoying like Oblivion's Oblivion Gates.

Rand al'Fain
11-12-2011, 10:30 PM
I have that with most shooters and "run, jump and click at PRECISELY the right time" type games.

Saw Skyrim on sale today but excercised selfrestraint. I'm still in my 2nd playthrough of Dragon Age 2 and still doing a re-read of WoT, not that much free time to go around. and then there's the fact that I've gotten mildly addicted to the BBC's Strictly come dancing... ok, let's be honest, there's no mildly about it. Glitter! feathers! weeee!The Dragon Age and Mass Effect games I enjoy and have finished, just that these huge RPGs without a mini map or any real clear objectives frustrate me.

Well, that right there is your problem. You need to be using a keyboard and mouse.I don't think my computer is compatible with it. Plus, I prefer using a game console controller over a keyboard and mouse.

ShadowbaneX
11-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Plus, I prefer using a game console controller over a keyboard and mouse.

See previous statement. Consoles need games tailored to it to be any good. I think sports games are about the only thing that consoles do well. For pretty much every other game type, you get better control over what you're doing with keyboard & mouse.

If you want to equate it to something else, think about it as standard transmission vs automatic.

Rand al'Fain
11-13-2011, 03:21 AM
See previous statement. Consoles need games tailored to it to be any good. I think sports games are about the only thing that consoles do well. For pretty much every other game type, you get better control over what you're doing with keyboard & mouse.

If you want to equate it to something else, think about it as standard transmission vs automatic.
To each their own, but I always have felt more comfortable with console gaming. Outside of RTS games (like the Total War series), I prefer games on consoles.

ShadowbaneX
11-13-2011, 09:54 AM
To each their own. You're wrong, but to each their own. ;)

Want to know one of the reasons why there isn't cross-platform multiplayer? It's because the PC gamers would kick so much ass it's an unfair advantage. Think about it, what provides more control an analog thumb-stick or an entire hand controlling a mouse?

Now, granted, in some cases, for instance, flight sims, that little thumb-stick is much better than a mouse in which you need to keep scrolling and scrolling and scrolling, so I'll give them that.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-14-2011, 01:56 AM
I have no knowledge of Skyrim, although there are boat loads of copies at my local supermarket, however STRICTLY! Loving it!! :D

Harry to win!

Harry's good but I'm for Holly, she's got more emotional range, Harry's a bit clinical about the whole thing. Dai said that being a drummer is possibly the best prep for a show like this: you're trained to have great rhythm, and to have all your limbs doing different things.

Figbiscuit
11-14-2011, 05:57 AM
True, also Harry already did a mini-Strictly for Children in Need (I think...or maybe Comic Relief), and won that, so he is also at a bit of an advantage there. I do think he's one of the only contestants who's improved consistently since the start who also has the necessary standard of talent to win it too.

I like Holly, although she's doesn't seem to be giving it everything she's got, and if she is then I'm afraid she's just not good enough to win. I'm also probably a little biased from watching the Kara and Artem extravaganza last year, don't know whether you watched it but they fell in love during the series and she ended up being absolutely amazing. Could easily make it as a professional.

Anyway, Skyrim...

yks 6nnetu hing
11-14-2011, 06:58 AM
True, also Harry already did a mini-Strictly for Children in Need (I think...or maybe Comic Relief), and won that, so he is also at a bit of an advantage there. I do think he's one of the only contestants who's improved consistently since the start who also has the necessary standard of talent to win it too.

I like Holly, although she's doesn't seem to be giving it everything she's got, and if she is then I'm afraid she's just not good enough to win. I'm also probably a little biased from watching the Kara and Artem extravaganza last year, don't know whether you watched it but they fell in love during the series and she ended up being absolutely amazing. Could easily make it as a professional.

Anyway, Skyrim...

lol, I did watch it, and it was... heated. Then again, something like this tends to happen almost every year, I'm a bit surprised it hasn't happened this season. Still though, the best celeb-contestant so far (that I've seen, anyways) is/was Alesha. This because she started out aaaalmost as... er... "perfect material for My Fair Lady" as Chelsee this season and really, she blew everyone out of the water, in Ballroom as well as Latin.

aaaanyways, Skyrim... awesome graphics, I hear? how's the interface? I rather hated the Oblivion UI.

Sarevok
11-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Interface is much better than Morrowind. I've hardly ever played Oblivion, so I can't really tell if it's better than that.
At least this game has a good quest log. :)