PDA

View Full Version : Alloy of Law *SPOILERS*

phoenix2563
11-15-2011, 10:03 PM
So I went to the signing for Alloy of Law in Houston today, and when I went to get my book signed I asked him about the "Trell" religion and how it connected to the prior Mistborn books/Scadrial. In resoponse, I got a sly grin and a RAFO card. He did say he would write me a hint in my book though. He wrote "Rust and Ruin!" Could there be a connection between Trell and Rust? Maybe another Shard (Rust?) on Scadrial? It sounded like from his response that we will see more of Trell in future Mistborn novels.

Sarevok
11-16-2011, 04:58 AM
I can't really remember what "Trell" was in the original series... Was it a House?

Anyway, about the series in general, since we don't have another thread about it yet:
I liked the book, although it's not as great as Mistborn. That may of course be because those books were twice as big and therefore allowed for more storytelling.

The ending puts down a great sequel hook for futher books:
Marsh! :D

WinespringBrother
11-16-2011, 07:27 AM
That is correct, Sarevok, he even verified it on Twitter #torchat on Monday.

Sarevok
11-16-2011, 09:24 AM
That is correct, Sarevok, he even verified it on Twitter #torchat on Monday.

It wasn't a question. :p

Seeing as how "Ironeyes" remarked that he's "not that good a soothing. Breeze was better at that."

Khestra
11-21-2011, 11:15 AM
So I went to the signing for Alloy of Law in Houston today, and when I went to get my book signed I asked him about the "Trell" religion and how it connected to the prior Mistborn books/Scadrial. In resoponse, I got a sly grin and a RAFO card. He did say he would write me a hint in my book though. He wrote "Rust and Ruin!" Could there be a connection between Trell and Rust? Maybe another Shard (Rust?) on Scadrial? It sounded like from his response that we will see more of Trell in future Mistborn novels.

During my re-read of the original trilogy, the first time I see Trell mentioned is when Sazed presents a religion to Vin's consideration for the very first time. Trell had a "jealous brother" called Nalt. Not currently in a position to cut and paste the whole section, so I recommend a re-read of chapter 9 in the second part of book one.

Khestra
11-21-2011, 12:21 PM
**Arg double post thanks to phone browser issues...sorry**

Davian93
11-25-2011, 12:05 AM
I finished reading it last night. Overall, it was decent...albeit a little too short. It felt like reading a one-act play as it literally was over just as it was getting interesting. Part of the problem I have right now is I really haven't been following his talking points on this new Mistborn series...is it another trilogy? Is it a longer seriez? Is it episodic with Wax and Wayne as main characters along with the girl (whose name escapes me in a drink-infused haze), etc etc.

BS pulled off guns and fantasy...so credit to him for that. I like the allomancy/feruchemical combinations and I'd like to see some hemolurgy too...outside of the one guy who was mentioned above as a surprise guest from the last books. I was hoping against hope that one of them would turn out to be a full mistborn but I'm guessing that will be saved for the next book. There's no way Brandon doesnt have one show up at some point soon.

One criticism I do have for the novel is that Wax and Wayne's "voice" is/was very similar IMHO to the two male characters in Warbreaker as well as to a couple of Kelsier's crew in Mistborn as well. His "buddy cop" voice always sounds/reads the same to me. But then, his "young females" almost always read the same to me too (like all the females in Warbreaker read in the same voice to me...as did Vin). It was a credit that that was not the case in this book.

Yeah, its a very minor quibble but I felt like bringing it up to see if I wasn't the only one.

Sarevok
11-25-2011, 04:04 AM
Part of the problem I have right now is I really haven't been following his talking points on this new Mistborn series...is it another trilogy? Is it a longer seriez? Is it episodic with Wax and Wayne as main characters along with the girl (whose name escapes me in a drink-infused haze), etc etc.

Sanderson has stated that he'll be doing two more trilogies on the Mistborn world, the second of them being further into the future and would therefore probably be into sci-fi territory.
The Alloy of Law is not part of the second trilogy. What I read from it, it was a writing excercise he did to clear his head before starting on aMoL, that then turned out so well that he thought he might as well publish it.
(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

On your second point: characters never read in a "voice" to me. It's just letters on paper; I never hear a voice.

Cortar
05-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Sanderson has stated that he'll be doing two more trilogies on the Mistborn world, the second of them being further into the future and would therefore probably be into sci-fi territory.
The Alloy of Law is not part of the second trilogy. What I read from it, it was a writing excercise he did to clear his head before starting on aMoL, that then turned out so well that he thought he might as well publish it.
(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

On your second point: characters never read in a "voice" to me. It's just letters on paper; I never hear a voice.

I don't think he means actual voice. He is talking about the way they say things and what words they use.

On a similar note, I have NEVER seen an author use the phrase "spinster" more than BS, ever.

Davian93
05-16-2012, 07:28 AM
I don't think he means actual voice. He is talking about the way they say things and what words they use.

On a similar note, I have NEVER seen an author use the phrase "spinster" more than BS, ever.

I agree, there was a tempest of spinster usage.

Brita
01-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Just finished it, and it was OK. It didn't have an epic feel to it, and didn't quite have enough fun for a cops and robbers caper. But as always, his magic systems impress. He has those down to a science- literally.

Davian93
01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Just finished it, and it was OK. It didn't have an epic feel to it, and didn't quite have enough fun for a cops and robbers caper. But as always, his magic systems impress. He has those down to a science- literally.

Pretty much agree with this assessment. It was a quick fun read but nothing really serious.

Sarevok
01-07-2013, 06:17 AM
Correct. I'd consider it more of a teaser for the next trilogy he'll eventually write on the planet.