PDA

View Full Version : Walking Dead

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Who is watching? Thoughts? Anyone read the comic? Thoughts on the differences (without spoilers please, for those who don't know what happens in the comics). I like it, thought the last few shows seem to have dragged a bit. Heh. PUN INTENDED!!

Attitude on Fast Zombies vs. Slow Zombies (28 days vs. Dawn of the Dead)?

Are animals susceptible to zombie-itis (Legend vs. Dawn of the Dead)?

I was joking with a friend that whenever I go somewhere new, we were on vacation recently, I review the area for zombie safe areas, escape routes, possible weapons, etc. Kind of like the raptor plan someone else here has.

Kimon
11-16-2011, 04:06 PM

The ones in 28 Days Later weren't really zombies, as they were infected with a virus, but still alive. Still a pretty good zombie-esque film, albeit not quite as good as Zombieland or Shaun of the Dead.

As for The Walking Dead, it has been pretty entertaining so far, but I haven't read the comic, so can't compare the original to the adaptation. Did the comic ever explain how the infestation had originally been caused?

Rand al'Fain
11-16-2011, 05:52 PM
There's also video games. Like the Left 4 Dead series (fast zombies, plus varying types of zombies) vs Dead Rising series (slower, more conventional zombies).

Though, never been one for zombie movies and shows personally.

Mort
11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
I enjoyed the first season. The second seasons havn't really lifted though I feel. I wonder how long you can use the zombie survival hook interesting. Pretty sure this one won't be a longrunner.

I have not read the comi... graphic novel :)

Sinistrum
11-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Love the series, haven't read the graphic novel yet but I hear its pretty good too. Slow zombies make more sense because of rigor mortis and I think its more believable when the virus that causes zombies only affects humans. There are very few diseases that can actually infect across species lines.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Though, never been one for zombie movies and shows personally.

WHAAAAAAAT?:eek::eek:

ok, that is fine. :: quietly makes note that r a'f can be added to the list of TLers NOT to count on during the zombie-pocalypse, or alternatively, use as bait ::

Ishara
11-17-2011, 06:31 AM
Who is watching? Thoughts? Anyone read the comic? Thoughts on the differences (without spoilers please, for those who don't know what happens in the comics). I like it, thought the last few shows seem to have dragged a bit. Heh. PUN INTENDED!!

Are animals susceptible to zombie-itis (Legend vs. Dawn of the Dead)?

I was joking with a friend that whenever I go somewhere new, we were on vacation recently, I review the area for zombie safe areas, escape routes, possible weapons, etc. Kind of like the raptor plan someone else here has.

1. I bought this for the DH last year and he LOVED it. I tried really had to watch it all the way through with him but had to stop when they were in Atlanta with the smearing of zombie guts. That was just a bit too...noisy for me. I loved the acting though (the main character is a fave of mine since Love, Actually), and the effects/ maek-up, but it just was a bit too real for me in the end.

2. I PREFER slow moving versus fast (OBVS), and HOPE that would be case, but FEAR that it will be otherwise. Cause if they are fast, I don't have a hope in helll...LOL.

3. I think that some animals would be susceptible, actually. If you go by I am Legend and World War Z, then dogs for sure (which just sort of breaks my heart!). But I'd say that while primates may not be impacted immediately, they would for sure be infected just like us. Maybe not fish though. Although the idea of a zombie shark....gah!

4. Who has a raptor attack plan and what is it?! I need to know, and assuming it doesn't have much to do with babies...but yeah, we sort of do that too. Scoping things out is just prudent.

The ones in 28 Days Later weren't really zombies, as they were infected with a virus, but still alive. Still a pretty good zombie-esque film, albeit not quite as good as Zombieland or Shaun of the Dead.

As for The Walking Dead, it has been pretty entertaining so far, but I haven't read the comic, so can't compare the original to the adaptation. Did the comic ever explain how the infestation had originally been caused?

Dude, that made me LOL. I'm not at all sure that you can compare the comedic-satirical stylings of Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead (also my personal fave z-movie) with movies like 28 Days or I am Legend. They're just not going for the same feel, for starters. Plus, the 28 Days folks may as well have been dead - they was no coming back from being infected.

And no, in MOST zombie-genre films (and movies) the cause of the infection-based zombie is never fully determined or explored. It just appears and then persists. And interestingly, the z-word is not used. Ever.

GonzoTheGreat
11-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Running, walking, what's next?
4. Who has a raptor attack plan and what is it?!I do not think we should attack raptors. They are an endangered species, and have been for millions of years. We should just leave them in peace, possibly protect their environment, but definitely not attack them.

Figbiscuit
11-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Love the series, haven't read the graphic novel yet but I hear its pretty good too. Slow zombies make more sense because of rigor mortis and I think its more believable when the virus that causes zombies only affects humans. There are very few diseases that can actually infect across species lines.

But rigor mortis wears off after time, and as for diseases crossing species, HIV and Bird Flu sprang to mind immediately...

That was just a bit too...noisy for me. I loved the acting though (the main character is a fave of mine since Love, Actually), and the effects/ maek-up, but it just was a bit too real for me in the end.

Egg!! Love him! Factoid for you from an interview I saw - he thinks he only got the part as he cast for it about 3 days after his first child had been born, and the fact that he looked kind of grey and exhausted with massive bags under his eyes and stubble had a lot to do with why they chose him :D

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-21-2011, 10:13 AM
4. Who has a raptor attack plan and what is it?! I need to know, and assuming it doesn't have much to do with babies...but yeah, we sort of do that too. Scoping things out is just prudent.

Someone does, I remember reading about it years ago and it stuck with me. If I recall correctly, it was what prompted the whole ongoing raptor joke(s) here...and the attempts to blackmail Anaiya into naming her first born Velociraptor. Sini? Prof Snow? Someone has a plan.

Actually, I kind of freaked many years ago after the highly publicized bar fire where folks could not find a way out in the smoke. The media coverage of that just...spooked...me. After that I started checking for alternative exits immediately every time I was in a new place. Of course that led easily to zombie planning. Natural course of thought.

Khoram
11-21-2011, 11:02 AM
3. I think that some animals would be susceptible, actually. If you go by I am Legend and World War Z, then dogs for sure (which just sort of breaks my heart!). But I'd say that while primates may not be impacted immediately, they would for sure be infected just like us. Maybe not fish though. Although the idea of a zombie shark....gah!

OMG Zombie Raptors!

If that happens, we're all doomed. Forget about fast or slow zombies, these'll get you no matter where you go. *goes into seclusion in the mountains for a while* - better to go off the map than stay where you'll be caught for sure.

Hmm... maybe it's safer to go Isla Sorna or Nublar - you know, "the closer you get to danger, the safer you are" sort of thing. XD

Sinistrum
11-21-2011, 12:08 PM
But rigor mortis wears off after time

Yes but decay sets in at which point their movement should still be reasonably hampered.

GonzoTheGreat
11-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Yes but decay sets in at which point their movement should still be reasonably hampered."Should". Are you really gonna bet on them being that law abiding?

Ishara
11-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Law, as in the laws of physics? Yeah. I think I will. (and also, hope like hell.)

GonzoTheGreat
11-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Law, as in the laws of physics? Yeah. I think I will. (and also, hope like hell.)Having watched quite a few zombie movies, and having a degree in (astro-)physics, I see no reason at all to make the assumption that zombies would follow the laws of physics.

Of course, having various people making different assumptions is good; that provides working material for the evolutionary process. So I won't tell you that you should change your mind.

Ishara
11-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Having watched quite a few zombie movies, and having a degree in (astro-)physics, I see no reason at all to make the assumption that zombies would follow the laws of physics.

Of course, having various people making different assumptions is good; that provides working material for the evolutionary process. So I won't tell you that you should change your mind.

Hence the hoping like hell. ;) Besides, my way at least contemplates the possibility that it could be otherwise, and the associated contingency plans.

GonzoTheGreat
11-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Hence the hoping like hell. ;) Besides, my way at least contemplates the possibility that it could be otherwise, and the associated contingency plans.Ah, but that's where I have an advantage: if they do obey the laws of physics, they'll drop dead as soon as I look at them, so then I don't need contingency plans.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-22-2011, 09:09 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZHMa0DqWmG8/TpVT5V_RcCI/AAAAAAAABxs/bxSgoXJrOf4/s1600/Zombie-treadmil-defense.jpg

Ishara
11-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Ah, but that's where I have an advantage: if they do obey the laws of physics, they'll drop dead as soon as I look at them, so then I don't need contingency plans.

LOL - I'll bank on them finding a loophole. Just in case, if it's all the same to you. ;)

And yks? Repp'd.

Khoram
11-22-2011, 10:19 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZHMa0DqWmG8/TpVT5V_RcCI/AAAAAAAABxs/bxSgoXJrOf4/s1600/Zombie-treadmil-defense.jpg

There's also the problem of jumping zombies, and the fact that the sheer number would break te treadmills. Unless, of course, it's like in the Looney Toons with the door after door showing up, and once one treadmill breaks, there's always another one under it :D

GonzoTheGreat
11-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Obviously, you're supposed to be sneaking out of the back door while the zombies work out how to deal with the treadmills. If you're curious you can stay and watch, but finding another hiding place might be a better use of your time.

Khoram
11-22-2011, 10:39 AM
You could always be lucky, but nobody's THAT lucky. :/

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-29-2011, 02:36 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. No more new shows until February?

I know I should have seen it coming, but the ending of Sunday's episode made me cry. :eek::cool::eek:

Sinistrum
11-29-2011, 06:13 PM
I thought it was the perfect way to end that portion of the story. And I'm having fun watching Shane go crazy.

WinespringBrother
11-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Someone has some explaining to do! (re: ending of mid-season, of course)

YKS: Repped :D

Everyone going to JordanCon, please save the below:

Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/Roswell
1075 Holcomb Bridge Road
Roswell, GA 30076
(770) 992-9600

1. Head west on Old Holcomb Bridge Rd toward Wood Creek Dr
482 ft
2. Take the 1st left onto Dogwood Rd
0.1 mi
3. Take the 1st left onto Holcomb Bridge Rd
0.2 mi