PDA

View Full Version : Encyclopedia

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Saw this on Facebook, wasn't sure if everyone had seen it...I am pretty excited by the confirmation of the dates

Any news on the possible WOT Encyclopaedia? The last info I read about it was that it would be released after Memory of Light was published.
LikeUnlike · · 16 hours ago ·

Peter Ahlstrom Not less than a year after. It's being worked on by Team Jordan.

Davian93
11-22-2011, 10:50 AM
"Not less than"?

That's pretty broad. So it could be anywhere from 2013 to Infinity then?

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-22-2011, 10:54 AM
hehehe I took that to mean, not MORE than a year. Let's see if I can get a better answer.

Terez
11-22-2011, 10:57 AM
They've been saying for a while now it would be about a year after the last book came out. In fact I'm pretty sure RJ said as much before he died; they've been planning on it since before the BWB, and the Cadsuane entry in the notes was probably written with the encyclopedia in mind.

Zombie Sammael
11-22-2011, 01:40 PM
They've been saying for a while now it would be about a year after the last book came out. In fact I'm pretty sure RJ said as much before he died; they've been planning on it since before the BWB, and the Cadsuane entry in the notes was probably written with the encyclopedia in mind.

I hadn't thought of that. If Cadsuane is an indication of the sort of detail we'll get in the Encyclopedia I'm very excited indeed for it.

eht slat meit
11-22-2011, 03:40 PM
The encyclopedia has the potential to be every bit as awesome as the main series, if they put it together well. While I certainly wouldn't object to a notes-like version, it's less dry and much easier to read if cobbled together with a mind for coherency rather than a hodge-podge of "A" for "Aes Sedai" and "B" for Balthamel.

Terez
11-22-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm just not sure how much RJ managed to get done on it. It may be that their choices were limited for the Hunt because of spoilers, but it might be that RJ was putting some of it off until after the books were done. And so there are probably some coherent notes like the Cadsuane bit, and probably lots of little random mind-trails like the extra bits we've gotten for decoding Cadsuane.

Marie Curie 7
11-22-2011, 06:09 PM
From JordanCon, April 2011 (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5421):

Leigh Butler: What do think you’re going to feel like once it is actually done and out and over? Is it just going to relief? Do you think you're going to be kind of sad? Collapse in a puddle on the floor?

Brandon: All of the above. It's going to be a major relief; there will be a sadness to it. There will be definitely a sadness, though having read the ending already, that sadness began for me in 2007, because the series is already finished for me. The work isn't done, but the series is finished. And so that melancholy, it won't come to a crux until that book is finally out. But I think the others might, you know they've been working on this much longer than I have, so they may have something different to say.

Alan: Yeah, it's been a long ride. It's going to be wonderful to have it finished; it's going to be sad that it will be finished. It won't be totally finished for Harriet, Maria, and myself because we'll be producing the encyclopedia, which will come out approximately a year after this book hits the bookshelves. This is the longest I've ever held a job. And you know, it hasn't felt like a job. I always say that my life is primarily fantasy, if you include very vivid dreams, the food I eat, what I do after dinner, there's very little reality left in my world. So I'm curious to see how that's going to change when this is all over. But yeah, it's been a great ride.

Maria: It's been a very good ride. And it'll be good to have it finished in some ways, and it will be sad. I've been doing this fifteen years now, and it's going to be different. But, I am looking forward to being able to actually really talk about the Wheel of Time without having to think really hard about every word I say.

Also, a year before that at JordanCon 2010, there was a panel where the format and information to be included in the encyclopedia was discussed. We had the opportunity to give input on what we would like to see be included. You can view the panel, which was videotaped by PortalStones, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ht4KTmh-as).

In addition, as Terez mentioned, Harriet signed with Tor to do the encyclopedia even before RJ passed away. He first announced that she was under contract to do this back in 2005. You can find the quotes on this in the Future Books category (http://bit.ly/wotidbfuturebooks) of the current Interview Database.

Terez
11-22-2011, 06:16 PM
From 1994:

INTERVIEW: Oct 21st, 1994
AOL Chat 1 (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1)

PAMELA

After reading the first five books (thanks for many wonderful hours) and starting the sixth, I find myself wishing for a "Wheel of Time Encyclopedia"--something with longer glossary entries to help me remember who's who and who's done what. Any chance of that happening?

ROBERT JORDAN

An Encyclopedia will have to wait until the Wheel of Time is finished, but the guys who did The Illustrated Guide to Pern and The Illustrated Guide to Amber are interviewing me next month for the same sort of book about the Wheel.

Marie Curie 7
11-22-2011, 06:25 PM
From 1994:

Since that quote is from 1994 and the BWB was published in 1997, the bit about the 'illustrated guide' most certainly refers to that, of course. And yeah, RJ was asked about and mentioned another encyclopedia many times. What I was referring to was the timeline for the announcement that Harriet (specifically) would be doing the encyclopedia, which was 2005:

Dragon*Con 2005 final report, Atlanta, GA, September 2-5 2005 - Jennifer Liang reporting (http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon*Con_September_2-5,_2005_-_Final_Report)

Sunday began quietly with a book discussion group and the fan art panel. The art panel had low turn out due to being scheduled against Robert Jordan’s final signing. However, things picked up again when we hosted a Q&A session with Robert Jordan and his wife. If you don’t know already, Harriet is the editor of the series. She is probably the only person who knows as much about the series, including background details, as he does. They are also very much in love with each other, even after all the years of living and working together. They pick on each other constantly. The big reveal of this session is that Harriet’s next project, after she is done editing the next book in the series will be to take all of Jordan’s background notes and edit them together into a complete “Wheel of Time Encyclopedia”, with the complete Old Tongue dictionary, glossary of every term that appears in the books and character and setting information. Applause broke out when she said that.