PDA

View Full Version : Rand's Soul and the title Dragon (including mini-signing report)

Zombie Sammael
11-22-2011, 12:43 PM
There are about two pages of discussion on this matter in the OLD questions thread, starting with Mr Unreasoner's post at the very bottom of this page (http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5543&page=36). I suggest you go read it if you haven't already, because it leads directly into what I learned today.

I met Brandon today at the Birmingham signing. He was very amiable, friendly, and cool to be around even when I said I was going to ask a complicated question. I mentioned that I knew something similar had been asked before (I can't find the quote right now, feel free to chime in with it), but was going to do my best to ask in a slightly different way.

What I asked was "In TGS Graendal thinks that Demandred had a shot at being the Dragon. What we were wondering was whether this refers to the soul itself or to the title dragon, and if the title is tied to the soul."

Brandon then said (quite excitingly IMO) that it actually went further than that, and if perhaps Rand had died whether someone else would have taken over that role. I asked if that had happened, would that person be called Dragon. He said, "I'll give you this: there was no chance of Demandred ever being Dragon."

Me, "Ah, that's a bit similar to the answer you gave before. But if not Demandred, somebody else?"

Brandon: "Maybe."

Personally, I think that "maybe" is damned interesting, because it implies there may be something he didn't want to give away. I have a wild theory about that which I might come on to. It certainly seems to imply, however, that the title Dragon is not completely exclusive to Rand, but does put it outside the realms of possibility for Demandred. Kind of a frustrating answer in terms of settling the debate, but interesting nonetheless.

As to my wild (but not quite looney) theory, I'm wondering if it isn't possible that someone else will actually end up fulfilling Rand's role at the end of the series. It would be a huge bait and switch and possible unsatisfying for us, but there does seem to be a possibility, both in terms of the Logain prophecy of glory, and in terms of the original conception of the series, in that the Chosen One couldn't do it for whatever reason and someone else had to step in. To my mind, from both Brandon's playful manner and his reply, it certainly seems as if something from AMOL ties into this. Then again, I might be reading too much into a smile and a nod.

Crispin's Crispian
11-22-2011, 02:12 PM
As to my wild (but not quite looney) theory, I'm wondering if it isn't possible that someone else will actually end up fulfilling Rand's role at the end of the series. It would be a huge bait and switch and possible unsatisfying for us...
Not all of us. A certain happy peaceful type is already expecting said ending. ;)

Terez
11-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Depends on what your definition of 'Rand's role' is. Most of us are expecting it to be a lot less Rand than appears to be implicit, but no doubt he has a couple of personal responsibilities to fulfill. Alongside RJ's comments on the 'female Dragon', I don't think there's anything really new here. RJ has said explicitly that the Dragon soul is always the same soul, but he allowed for circumstances where certain roles thought to be designated for the Dragon soul might be played by someone else.

Zombie Sammael
11-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Depends on what your definition of 'Rand's role' is. Most of us are expecting it to be a lot less Rand than appears to be implicit, but no doubt he has a couple of personal responsibilities to fulfill. Alongside RJ's comments on the 'female Dragon', I don't think there's anything really new here. RJ has said explicitly that the Dragon soul is always the same soul, but he allowed for circumstances where certain roles thought to be designated for the Dragon soul might be played by someone else.

What was new to me, at least, was Brandon's comment about what would happen if Rand had been killed at the start of the series. The fact that he immediately leapt to it seem to either mean that we're going to find out, or that he was just geeking out with me (he really is lovely). I think that, coupled with the "maybe" about someone else taking the role, at least confirms a few questions that I had. But I thought that you would probably not find the same kind of stimulation, as I think we've always been coming at this particular issue from slightly different places.