PDA

View Full Version : This year, I'm going all out.

Sei'taer
11-22-2011, 06:02 PM
First,

I have a 10 lb turkey that I am going to roast. I'm brining it in apples, peppercorns, marjoram, sage, garlic and rosemary.

A standing crown rib roast

I'm making a semi-savory sweet potato pie, instead of the usual yams with marshmallows.

Green beans in olive oil and basil.

I'm making a dressing with wheat and whole grain oat bread instead of corn bread. My mother-in-law makes it and it's awesome. We'll see if I can make it edible or not.

Corn casserole that my wife makes. Awesomely good stuff.

Brownies, chocolate chip cookies and a couple of pumpkin pies, because I can eat a whole pumpkin pie by myself.

Davian93
11-22-2011, 06:31 PM
I have the following:

22 lb turkey that will be brined then roasted
mashed potatoes
mashed sweet potatoes
corn
carrots
deviled eggs
stuffing with sausage, shallots, apples
cranberry sauce

That's it basically. I'll also make chex mix and some sort of appetizer platter with cheeses, pepperonis, crackers.

Standing rib roast sounds really tasty for Thanksgiving...I usually do that for christmas.

Sei'taer
11-22-2011, 06:52 PM
I have the following:

22 lb turkey that will be brined then roasted
mashed potatoes
mashed sweet potatoes
corn
carrots
deviled eggs
stuffing with sausage, shallots, apples
cranberry sauce

That's it basically. I'll also make chex mix and some sort of appetizer platter with cheeses, pepperonis, crackers.

Standing rib roast sounds really tasty for Thanksgiving...I usually do that for christmas.

The rib roast was my moms idea...I just have to cook it.

Davian93
11-22-2011, 06:56 PM
The rib roast was my moms idea...I just have to cook it.

Have you ever cooked one before? Be very careful NOT to overcook it. I usually pull mine when it reaches 125 degrees. It will get up to 140 while its resting (and will thus be medium rare on the inside)

Also, you should make Yorkshire Pudding with the drippings...its super easy and makes a good side.

Crispin's Crispian
11-22-2011, 07:10 PM
My MIL is making the turkey and stuff. We're doing cream cheese mashed potatoes and I'm baking some yeasty rolls.

I'm a little excited, though I kind of want to cook a turkey myself this year. I heard a recipe on the radio for a really basic salt-rubbed turkey (no brining) cooked at 450! Sounded delicious.

AbbeyRoad
11-22-2011, 08:56 PM
First,

I have a 10 lb turkey that I am going to roast. I'm brining it in apples, peppercorns, marjoram, sage, garlic and rosemary.

A standing crown rib roast

I'm making a semi-savory sweet potato pie, instead of the usual yams with marshmallows.

Green beans in olive oil and basil.

I'm making a dressing with wheat and whole grain oat bread instead of corn bread. My mother-in-law makes it and it's awesome. We'll see if I can make it edible or not.

Corn casserole that my wife makes. Awesomely good stuff.

Brownies, chocolate chip cookies and a couple of pumpkin pies, because I can eat a whole pumpkin pie by myself.
So... dinner at your house on Thursday? I'll bring beer! And chips! And free medical advice!

Terez
11-22-2011, 09:02 PM
We are going to mom's cousin's house, and we're bringing sausage balls (for lack of a better name for them).

Ingredients:

1 lb ground sausage, hot or mild (whatever you like)
1/2 onion diced small
2 jalapenos diced small
1 red pepper diced small
1/2 lb cream cheese (1 box)
3-4 cans of 8 crescent rolls

Directions:

Cook up sausage and onion and peppers with some salt and pepper until meat is browned. Drain if necessary. Mix with cream cheese in mixing bowl. Put a spoonful in the middle of the crescent roll dough (I like to knead out the dough a little so as to fit more) and wrap it up, sealing the edges or rolling into a ball. Bake by roll directions.

Sei'taer
11-22-2011, 09:03 PM
My MIL is making the turkey and stuff. We're doing cream cheese mashed potatoes and I'm baking some yeasty rolls.

I'm a little excited, though I kind of want to cook a turkey myself this year. I heard a recipe on the radio for a really basic salt-rubbed turkey (no brining) cooked at 450! Sounded delicious.

I brine mine with different stuff every year. Last year I salt brined it and it was pretty good.

I roast it at 475 for 30 minutes and then drop it to 350 for two hours or until it's done. I'm not big on thermometers, I'm more of a seat of my pants kind of cook.

I've never done a crown roast before but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Res_Ipsa
11-22-2011, 09:30 PM
None of you are deep frying a Turkey . . . therefore, you are already failing!

Terez
11-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Meh, deep-fried turkeys can be good, but IMO not good enough for the effort required.

fdsaf3
11-23-2011, 12:03 AM
I want to come to your Thanksgivings. Mine is going to be lame (albeit "traditional").

Isabel
11-23-2011, 12:14 AM
All those recipes sound amazing :) Have fun on thanksgiving:)

Sarevok
11-23-2011, 05:24 AM
All those recipes sound amazing :)

Seconded. :)

Enjoy!

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-23-2011, 09:34 AM
yum. yum. yummmo.

Mom is making Turkey & fixings while we are at the Lions game (go Lions, beat Green Bay!)

I make a cream cheese stuffed french toast casserole and take it out in the AM for everyone (Christmas too) to start the day. Watch the parades on TV, then we are heading down to the game.

For the meal, I bring cranberry stuff...I cook up whole cranberries, let them get a little gooey, cool down & mash just an itty bitty bit so there are nice pieces of cranberry...then mix into raspberry jello, add little bits of mandarin orange, little bits of FRESH pineapple, some crunched up nuts (I like pecans) and let it sit overnight in the fridge. mmmm.

I also make the deviled eggs. No one can resist a deviled egg.

My mom's stuffing is the best. I am sure everyone says that, but it is. Simple bread stuffing with garlic, onions, celery, bits of sage and just a hint of crumbled sausage. She always forgets the rolls in the oven, gonna put a note up for her on the chandelier this year :D

Oh. My. Golly. Goodness. Can't wait :)

Oh and PIE, PIE, I LOVE PIE!! My mom makes: pumpkin, pecan, mincemeat and then has an assortment of cheesecake (bought, so not my favorite).

Davian93
11-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I make a cream cheese stuffed french toast casserole

Go on...because that sounds amazing.

I also make the deviled eggs. No one can resist a deviled egg.

Keys to great deviled eggs IMHO: Dill flavored mustard and horseradish...those things need to kick. Also, deviled eggs need to rest overnight to truly evolve their flavor IMHO.

Sei'taer
11-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Go on...because that sounds amazing.

Keys to great deviled eggs IMHO: Dill flavored mustard and horseradish...those things need to kick. Also, deviled eggs need to rest overnight to truly evolve their flavor IMHO.

Yes, we need that recipe, SBC.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-23-2011, 10:24 AM
This is almost like a bread pudding.

glass pan the smaller the pan = thicker slices
I use 9x9. recipe easily doubles btw

loaf of firm bread (I use day old crusty bakery breads)
8 eggs
1/4 cup syrup
1/4 cup cream (I use half and half, but 2% works)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
pinch salt
4 TBL soft butter
4 TBL MELTED butter
2 cream cheese blocks (8 oz each)

(I make this with or without additions like raisins, pecan bits, blueberries, strawberries, stewed apples, peaches. Whatever you like)

nonstick spray the crap out of the dish
I cut the cream cheese into small cubes while it is really cold, then let sit to room temp.

Rip or slice bread and layer bottom of dish, then put/press/wedge cream cheese into every little nook. (if you want the extras like raisins, etc IN it, put them in here) Cover with final layer of bread pieces. I like cream cheese to stick out here and there.

Beat eggs, syrup, cream, cinnamon, vanilla, (softened) butter, salt together until frothy. Pour over the bread & stuff. :) Cover with plastic & refrigerate overnight (at least a few hours to soak it all up)

In the AM, remove plastic, spray a piece of foil with nonstick spray and cover then put the COLD DISH IN COLD OVEN (cold dish + preheated oven = cracked dish!! Explosions! glass everywhere!!)
Set temp to 370-380, bake for 40-45 minutes, remove the foil, pour melted butter across top, sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon, bake for 15-20 more minutes. (times are weird, everyone's ovens are different...knife in the middle to make sure it is done, let it brown on top, I like it crusty)

Serve with warmed or cold fresh fruit, syrup, powdered sugar, whipped cream, whatever. I always include sausage AND bacon on the side...what the heck, this is a heart attack on a plate anyway. Really yummy warmed up the next day too. :)

It is a standard holiday morning thing for me...easy to make the night before and you pop it in the oven while you get ready, or while everyone is still sleeping

Davian93
11-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Sounds like a dessert style strata...also sounds really, really tasty. I shall have to try and make it.

Res_Ipsa
11-23-2011, 11:08 AM
I tried to get my mom to make this . . . but she would not bite.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/6501/turkeycheese.jpg

I blame paint being the only thing, currently, at my disposal

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Am I the only one weirded out a little by the MOM reference in that ?

lolololol

Still, repworthy

Davian93
11-23-2011, 11:10 AM
~wonders about the implications of wanting one's mom to make grilled cheese~

~decides its a road best not traveled~

Res_Ipsa
11-23-2011, 11:12 AM
~wonders about the implications of wanting one's mom to make grilled cheese~

~decides its a road best not traveled~
I forget, does grilled cheese have a sexual connotation on this board? That is the only thing I can think of that would make it weird for me to reference my mom.

I honestly just like grilled cheese and thought it had been too long since someone had mentioned grilled cheese.

Sarevok
11-23-2011, 11:15 AM
I forget, does grilled cheese have a sexual connotation on this board? That is the only thing I can think of that would make it weird for me to reference my mom.

I honestly just like grilled cheese and thought it had been too long since someone had mentioned grilled cheese.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Someone link this guy to the relevant thread...

Res_Ipsa
11-23-2011, 11:20 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Someone link this guy to the relevant thread...

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6042&highlight=grilled+cheese

No I get it, I was having fun with it. Notice that last sentence " I honestly just like grilled cheese and thought it had been too long since someone had mentioned grilled cheese."

Admittedly, I did not think about it when I mentioned my mom but then decided to go along with the joke. I am not very good with subtle on a forum.

Mort
11-23-2011, 12:07 PM
I'll hold you all responsible for my future heartattack, guys.

Khoram
11-23-2011, 12:10 PM
So... I am now starving, and SBC's dish. I was reading through the directions, and my mouth is literally watering right now. I'm being stared at by people around me, but I don't care.

Have a fun, safe, and food-filled Thanksgiving, guys!

Sei'taer
11-23-2011, 09:15 PM
The turkey is in the brine, the cookies are cooking, the brownies are done and the pumpkin pies are done and I've already eaten two pieces.

Figbiscuit
11-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Also, you should make Yorkshire Pudding with the drippings...its super easy and makes a good side.

You should absolutely make Yorkshire Puddings, dripping or not!! I love that our little old puddings get a mention here :)

Ishara
11-24-2011, 09:38 AM
In the AM, remove plastic, spray a piece of foil with nonstick spray and cover then put the COLD DISH IN COLD OVEN (cold dish + preheated oven = cracked dish!! Explosions! glass everywhere!!)Set temp to 370-380, bake for 40-45 minutes, remove the foil, pour melted butter across top, sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon, bake for 15-20 more minutes. (times are weird, everyone's ovens are different...knife in the middle to make sure it is done, let it brown on top, I like it crusty)

Yeah - the exact reason I don't bake with glassware anymore. It used to be that Pyrex used to be made of borosilicate glass which can be placed cold in a hot oven, or a hot dish in the freezer with no life-threatening jeopard to yuo and yours, but no more. They got bought aout and the new company cheaped out and stopped making the glassware the safe way. Now I bake in metal pans only, although I suppose I could look for the old school Pyrex at Value Village if I really wanted to...

I am making this STAT. I don't think I can wait till Christmas!

Sei'taer
11-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah - the exact reason I don't bake with glassware anymore. It used to be that Pyrex used to be made of borosilicate glass which can be placed cold in a hot oven, or a hot dish in the freezer with no life-threatening jeopard to yuo and yours, but no more. They got bought aout and the new company cheaped out and stopped making the glassware the safe way. Now I bake in metal pans only, although I suppose I could look for the old school Pyrex at Value Village if I really wanted to...

I am making this STAT. I don't think I can wait till Christmas!

I must have the old pyrex because I've never had a problem. I didn't even know that was a problem.

Davian93
11-25-2011, 12:24 AM
I must have the old pyrex because I've never had a problem. I didn't even know that was a problem.

I had it happen to me once as a kid when I did it to one of my Mom's glass dishes but that was because it wasn't pyrex. i use Pyrex all the time and have never had this issue. I make my strata that way (cold glass into hot oven) and its never shattered. Maybe I just have the old ones or something. I also like using clay baking dishes for a lot of stuff to. IKEA has really good clayware for cheap IMHO.

Ishara
11-28-2011, 09:29 AM
We got at least 5-6 glazed terracotta baking dishes for a wedding gift and i can't wait to break them in! Good to know that you like using them. I've been a ridiculous fan of my enameled cast iron for roasting, so I'm excited to branch out.

Sei'taer
11-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I took my dutch oven, which is cast iron, and put the crown roast in it in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours. It was absolutely perfect. There were nine of use eating an eight pound roast and all the was left afterwards were the bones. It smelled so good roasting in that pot.

I didn't make the pudding because I didn't feel like fooling with it...maybe next time.

The turkey was well brined and very juicy, but I didn't season enough so parts of it were a little bland. It was still good and was gone by the end of the night.

I have one piece of pumpkin pie left that I'm saving for dinner tonight.