PDA

View Full Version : RIP Anne McCaffrey

Davian93
11-22-2011, 06:32 PM
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/11/r-i-p-anne-mccaffrey-1926-2011/

Apparently Anne McCaffrey passed away today at Age 85. I had no idea she was that old.

Gilshalos Sedai
11-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Wow.

And in all the Weyrs of Pern, all the dragons stopped and sang their sorrow.

This woman had a bigger impact than any other writer on my style ever, including Jordan. I can't believe how sad this has made me.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Her books were my first true foray into fantasy when I was young...I started with Arthurian books, but the Pern books were just so much FUN mixed always with bits of scary stuff and such sadness when one of the dragons went "between".

Such sad news. :(

Sei'taer
11-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Her books were my first true foray into fantasy when I was young...I started with Arthurian books, but the Pern books were just so much FUN mixed always with bits of scary stuff and such sadness when one of the dragons went "between".

I remember Pop handing me Dragonflight when I was 11 and I soaked all of them in as fast as I could. I was hooked from then on. It was my first shot at a fantasy novel. I had mostly read asimov sci-fi magazines. RIP Anne.

pops taer
11-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Yes I remember her well. Still following the series today. She is definitely an ICON in the SF/Fantasy world.

Pops

Isabel
11-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Yeah, she was an amazing writer.

Frenzy
11-23-2011, 12:58 AM
RIP Anne.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-23-2011, 02:59 AM

The Hobbit was the first, Dragonflight the second Fantasy I ever read. So sad :(

GonzoTheGreat
11-23-2011, 03:54 AM
What a pity. She was one of the few who was actually good at writing books where you weren't sure whether they should be classified as fantasy or science fiction. And the songs she included in her books were also good additions to the stories, instead of the far more usual "here the writer demonstrates an ability to find rhyming words".

Ishara
11-23-2011, 08:05 AM
What a pity. She was one of the few who was actually good at writing books where you weren't sure whether they should be classified as fantasy or science fiction. And the songs she included in her books were also good additions to the stories, instead of the far more usual "here the writer demonstrates an ability to find rhyming words".

Agreed. It's a real loss to the fantasy/ sci-fi community. I discovered her when I picked up a used book called Dragonsong with a nifty cover. I read about menolly and then started backwards. I loved the way she seemed to have always planned her world from the very beginning, and my favourite stories were always those about the first settlers of PERN and their ability to adapt to their new world and the scourge of the Thread. I loved when Honshu was found again and that I could really appreciate just how old and valuable it was. I loved when Jaxom and Ruth found Sallah's body and brought her home for burial.

I'll really miss her books, although I suspect her son may continue on with them.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-23-2011, 08:25 AM
I remember Pop handing me Dragonflight when I was 11 and I soaked all of them in as fast as I could. I was hooked from then on. It was my first shot at a fantasy novel. I had mostly read asimov sci-fi magazines. RIP Anne.

Funny, I have a lot of friends who say the same thing...their parents gave them the first book of hers and they loved them. I think I will add a few to my son's bookshelf for the future.

tworiverswoman
11-23-2011, 12:35 PM
I've read most of her Pern books a dozen times or more... right up until she killed my favorite character (you know who I mean) and after that I just couldn't read them anymore. :(

But I've probably read 95% of her output, over the years. She had a major talent for writing appealing, interesting, DIFFERENT characters, male or female, young or old, *special* or *ordinary*...

I'm sad there will be no more books from her, ever again. Damn.

Figbiscuit
11-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Sad news :(

I too loved her books as a child - my copies were my mums and I read them a number of times when I was younger, although not so much recently. This gives me an urge to read them all again.

I wanted a dragon of my own SO badly when I was a kid!

Ishara
11-24-2011, 08:34 AM
I've read most of her Pern books a dozen times or more... right up until she killed my favorite character (you know who I mean) and after that I just couldn't read them anymore. :(

Do we mean Robinton? Cause yeah, I cried. Not gonna lie. Poor Zahir.

And Fig's post reminds me: what would you have been? Harper or Dragonrider? Or something else? A Runner like Tenna? I always wanted to ride a Queen but had a sneaky suspiciion I would have been a sassy Green rider.... ;)

yks 6nnetu hing
11-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Do we mean Robinton? Cause yeah, I cried. Not gonna lie. Poor Zahir.

And Fig's post reminds me: what would you have been? Harper or Dragonrider? Or something else? A Runner like Tenna? I always wanted to ride a Queen but had a sneaky suspiciion I would have been a sassy Green rider.... ;)

hehe, I have/had an intense identification with Lessa. She's easily within my top 5 of awesomest book characters of all time.

Daekyras
11-25-2011, 05:20 AM
I cannot even begin to describe how sad I am to hear about this.

I have been crazy busy the last few months, as evidenced by my lack of activity round here, and haven't even been paying attention to the news..

Anyway, I just want to say that Anne was possibly the nicest lady i have ever had the pleasure to meet.

As a child growing up I was forever influenced by my older brothers and their reading. I have already mentioned how John turned me into a Jordan fan 20 years ago but before that i had become a Pern-ite.

It was with great joy that we learned that not only did our fav author live in Ireland but literally within walking distance! As a child i must have been a complete nuisance to her as every time I met her I inubdated the poor lady with questions about fantasy in every situation(shop, post office, street, outside her house, in her garden without permission!). And i mean ALL fantasy. She was more than willing to talk about any writer I was reading.

More importantly she always said that "anything is possible" and would finish a conversation with "I expect big things from you".

As I type this i remember, and cry, my last meeting with her about 7 years ago. She looked so frail and old and was so quiet I felt for sure she would not remember the strange kid from around the way who used to ask silly questions but she said "big things, now didn't I always tell you?" I don't think i have ever felt such personal pride.

RIP Anne.

Mam A'Lemur
11-25-2011, 07:37 AM
This is just so sad, and news I was afraid of hearing for a long time. Anne's books got me thru many bumps in my life, and honestly some of my happiest times were spent reading her books. Think I'll go dig up my copy of Restoree (my favorite of hers) and read it tonight after the kids go to bed.
RIP Anne... and thank you so much for all you've given us. What a legacy you've left.

Isabel
11-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Wow, Daekyras, an amazing story. Perhaps also post it on a Anne McCaffrey site?

Daekyras
11-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Wow, Daekyras, an amazing story. Perhaps also post it on a Anne McCaffrey site?

I'm not a member of any but i can always join. Which would you recommend?

I know there is a facebook site but i've never done that....

GonzoTheGreat
11-25-2011, 10:51 AM
I know there is a facebook site but i've never done that....You've never faced a book?

Isabel
11-25-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm not a member of any but i can always join. Which would you recommend?

I know there is a facebook site but i've never done that....

I have no clue:( I know there are sites:(

Daekyras
11-25-2011, 02:31 PM
You've never faced a book?
haha, as a school kid, and admittedly as an adult, i have defaced many but i can say i never faced one...!

As for facebook, i don't use it. My wife does and my friends but i've never felt the need. It's just...meh...to me.

@isa, i took your advice and joined a site. Put my stort up and have had so many lovely responses and similar stories of her kindness and generosity to fans that it cheered me up and saddened me further at the same time. Thank you.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Daekyras...wow, what a great story :) You are very luck to have such a terrific memory!!!

Gilshalos Sedai
11-26-2011, 03:24 PM
I found her books myself. There was no one to introduce me to them.

One of the happiest accidents I ever had.

I used to aspire to meet her, now... :(

Ishara
11-28-2011, 08:31 AM
I cannot even begin to describe how sad I am to hear about this.

I have been crazy busy the last few months, as evidenced by my lack of activity round here, and haven't even been paying attention to the news..

Anyway, I just want to say that Anne was possibly the nicest lady i have ever had the pleasure to meet.

As a child growing up I was forever influenced by my older brothers and their reading. I have already mentioned how John turned me into a Jordan fan 20 years ago but before that i had become a Pern-ite.

It was with great joy that we learned that not only did our fav author live in Ireland but literally within walking distance! As a child i must have been a complete nuisance to her as every time I met her I inubdated the poor lady with questions about fantasy in every situation(shop, post office, street, outside her house, in her garden without permission!). And i mean ALL fantasy. She was more than willing to talk about any writer I was reading.

More importantly she always said that "anything is possible" and would finish a conversation with "I expect big things from you".

As I type this i remember, and cry, my last meeting with her about 7 years ago. She looked so frail and old and was so quiet I felt for sure she would not remember the strange kid from around the way who used to ask silly questions but she said "big things, now didn't I always tell you?" I don't think i have ever felt such personal pride.

RIP Anne.

That's a really lovely story!