PDA

View Full Version : Nothing says "Thanksgiving" more than waffles.

Res_Ipsa
11-25-2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.twitvid.com/QM7T7

notice the major plumbers crack going on. 2$ Wafflemakers that no one will ever use is my guess.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-25-2011, 12:49 PM
I would probably have bought one. I love WAFFLES!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYv2lHO7xSo

EDIT: for the lazy arses like Dav...my link is just to the Shrek movie where Donkey says "and in the morning I'm MAKING WAAAAAAFFLES!"

Davian93
11-25-2011, 02:11 PM
I would guess Turkey and Waffles probably tastes as good as Chicken and Waffles...so I'd support such a policy.

~did not watch videos~

The Unreasoner
11-26-2011, 05:00 AM
I misunderstood the thread...because I thought of my traditional black friday breakfast:
belgian waffles w/ hot cranberry sauce leftovers. An butter.

Mort
11-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Speaking of black friday, did anyone get any cool stuff for low low prices? :)

Except waffle makers.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-26-2011, 07:39 AM
I misunderstood the thread...because I thought of my traditional black friday breakfast:
belgian waffles w/ hot cranberry sauce leftovers. An butter.

that actually sounds good

and welcome back:D

Figbiscuit
11-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Speaking of black friday, did anyone get any cool stuff for low low prices? :)

Except waffle makers.

I got a scary amount of emails advertising LOW LOW PRICES for Black Friday. Awesome, considering I live in the UK :rolleyes:

Also, is Black Friday just like hell? Cos it sounds like it to me.

GonzoTheGreat
11-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Also, is Black Friday just like hell? Cos it sounds like it to me.Fewer lawyers, I think.

Isabel
11-28-2011, 10:20 AM
LOL :D

Figbiscuit
11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Fewer lawyers, I think.

:D :D

Sarevok
11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Also, is Black Friday just like hell? Cos it sounds like it to me.
Heh. :confused: I just had to google how Black Friday relates to this time of year. Back Friday over here is the day before Easter...

Figbiscuit
11-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Heh. :confused: I just had to google how Black Friday relates to this time of year. Back Friday over here is the day before Easter...

No, I wasn't familiar with it either until all the emails. You have Black Friday? We have Good Friday.

Davian93
11-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Black Friday is indeed hell on earth. It represents all the worst qualities of the supposed "holiday" season that has been created by a consumerist society more concerned on blowing money they dont have than properly celebrating what used to be a religious holiday.

Figbiscuit
11-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Black Friday is indeed hell on earth. It represents all the worst qualities of the supposed "holiday" season that has been created by a consumerist society more concerned on blowing money they dont have than properly celebrating what used to be a religious holiday.

Aaah. Like our month of December.

GonzoTheGreat
11-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Aaah. Like our month of December.Doesn't your Christmas season start somewhere around September? :confused:

Sarevok
11-28-2011, 11:45 AM
No, I wasn't familiar with it either until all the emails. You have Black Friday? We have Good Friday.

Hmm... seems I was confused with Black Saturday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_(France))... which isn't related to either. :o

Figbiscuit
11-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Doesn't your Christmas season start somewhere around September? :confused:

Yes, yes it does :( Just after the kids go back to school. It is not unusual to be suffering from Christmas overkill by now.

And Easter starts on the 1st January. The only advantage of which is that I can get Cadbury Creme Eggs again.

ETA: And I have never heard of Black Saturday either. Doesn't sound like fun either. What does it commemorate?

Sarevok
11-28-2011, 05:16 PM
ETA: And I have never heard of Black Saturday either. Doesn't sound like fun either. What does it commemorate?

It used to commemorate some horrible bus crash, iirc. But currenly, it's the first day of the summer holidays for many peole in The Netherlands, Belgium, and parts of Germany and France... leading to hundreds (if not thousands) of kilometers of traffic jams on French highways towards the Mediterranean (sp?).

Ishara
11-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Ooooh. Sounds like the highways going Noth (into cottage country) on Long Weekends here...LOL.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-29-2011, 08:24 AM
It used to commemorate some horrible bus crash, iirc. But currenly, it's the first day of the summer holidays for many peole in The Netherlands, Belgium, and parts of Germany and France... leading to hundreds (if not thousands) of kilometers of traffic jams on French highways towards the Mediterranean (sp?).

it's Top Gear hell. what with all the trailers.

Davian93
11-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Ooooh. Sounds like the highways going Noth (into cottage country) on Long Weekends here...LOL.

That is part of the reason we're looking at Late September/Early October instead of July/August for our France trip...

Ishara
11-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Trust me when I say that the weather will still be glorious. "They" say it's off-season in Eurpoe, and it's NOT. It will still be busy and the touristy places will still be full of tourists, and you'll still have a great time.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-29-2011, 08:56 AM
That is part of the reason we're looking at Late September/Early October instead of July/August for our France trip...

You'll have a wonderful time so long as you don't go to Ibiza, or any of those party-islands, or Benidorm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMk6xdzsng).

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-29-2011, 08:56 AM

We did France in mid-September and it was gorgeous. People looked at us like we were nuts though...shorts and sandals and they were starting to wear coats. It was in the 60s.

Davian93
11-29-2011, 08:58 AM
We did France in mid-September and it was gorgeous. People looked at us like we were nuts though...shorts and sandals and they were starting to wear coats. It was in the 60s.

60s is warm weather to me...hell, I wore a golf shirt to work with no jacket today as it was mid-40s in the morning with a high in the 50s.

Sarevok
11-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Trust me when I say that the weather will still be glorious. "They" say it's off-season in Eurpoe, and it's NOT. It will still be busy and the touristy places will still be full of tourists, and you'll still have a great time.

Weather in Europe can be... unpredictable. We've had summers of horrible weather only to have great weather in spring and/or autumn. However, there have also been years where summer and autumn behaved like you'd expect them to.
It's just a matter of luck, really... :(

Ishara
11-29-2011, 10:32 AM
That's true - I meant moreso the crowds, though.

And not that you need telling Dav, but dress up. You'll feel out of place if you don't. ;)

Sei'taer
11-29-2011, 10:43 AM
My wife had this explained to her by a Wal-mart employee. Evidently, if you buy the waffle maker (or what ever else they have a sale price on for a few minutes) and the buy them at $2 instead of the normal $6 you can wait a month or so, go back and return them without the reciept and get the money (store credit or whatever) back on the original price. So, if you buy 15 of them at $2 then you get to return them and make $4 a piece on them. That's why these idiots go insane. We had a huge fight at the local Wal-mart over some towels that were on sale for a dollar. Half the police force had to come in and break it up.

We refuse to participate in Black Friday. Not even close to worth it.

Davian93
11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
That's true - I meant moreso the crowds, though.

And not that you need telling Dav, but dress up. You'll feel out of place if you don't. ;)

I always dress up...I'm not big into the sweats, t-shirt, fanny pack tourist look.

Ishara
11-29-2011, 12:06 PM
I always dress up...I'm not big into the sweats, t-shirt, fanny pack tourist look.

Hence me prefacing it with - you don't have to be told. ;)

My husband went shopping specifically for the honeymoon, and man did he look good. LOL

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Hence me prefacing it with - you don't have to be told. ;)

My husband went shopping specifically for the honeymoon, and man did he look good. LOL

We dressed up too. Well, I dressed normal, my husband had to pick it up a notch. But even walking in the park near the Eiffel tower in walking shorts and a blazer got some odd looks due to the temps. Seriously, they had hats and gloves on. It was 62 degrees.

I will say I was looked at, head to toe, quite a lot when folks found out we were Americans. My hanbags and shoes (I mainly wore leather sandals or boots) were always EXAMINED by girls on the subway (pardon, the Metro). One bag, a $5 over the shoulder bag with a silkscreened daisy on it in particular was zeroed in on everywhere I went with it. A girl we got to know at the hotel asked me where I got it and offered me the equivalent of $75 for it. I just laughed at her and told her she could have it. She was so happy I thought she was gonna kiss me.

Davian93
11-29-2011, 12:23 PM
We dressed up too. Well, I dressed normal, my husband had to pick it up a notch. But even walking in the park near the Eiffel tower in walking shorts and a blazer got some odd looks due to the temps. Seriously, they had hats and gloves on. It was 62 degrees.

I will say I was looked at, head to toe, quite a lot when folks found out we were Americans. My hanbags and shoes (I mainly wore leather sandals or boots) were always EXAMINED by girls on the subway (pardon, the Metro). One bag, a $5 over the shoulder bag with a silkscreened daisy on it in particular was zeroed in on everywhere I went with it. A girl we got to know at the hotel asked me where I got it and offered me the equivalent of $75 for it. I just laughed at her and told her she could have it. She was so happy I thought she was gonna kiss me.

Go on...

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Oh, and we were staying in the 6th district in Paris, which I was told was one of th "nicer" areas (true? dunno) My combs were stolen in the hotel room. Yes, combs. Two, stolen on separate days. Yes, I said combs. They were the giant, wide-tooth ones you use on wet hair. Apparently that was worth risking a maid's job for???? I didn't say anything, but thought it was extremely odd.

Ishara
11-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Weird - 6th is the Luxembourg Arrondissement, no? I stayed in the 4th (Le Marais) and it freaking perfect. Walking distance to everything (and I am not a walker, so think short distances) except the Louvre/ Tour Eiffel and Montmartre. Little bistros/ cafes/ bars on every sidewalk and corner and lovely little shops, beautiful little parks...ah, Paris....

Sukoto
11-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Oh, and we were staying in the 6th district in Paris, which I was told was one of th "nicer" areas (true? dunno)
Oh no, you've got me thinking about Paris. Curse you! I want to go back now!

There aren't very many 'bad' neighborhoods in Paris itself. There are a few pockets around Montmartre that are sketchy, and the north/east districts are more working class than the others. The 6th is very trendy and nice. I have lived in the 13th, 15th and 10th districts, but I'm pretty familiar with most of the city. The western half is generally nicer than the eastern half, although there are nice neighborhoods in every district.

I've also been to the south of France, around Montpelier. Very nice. It was August, and there weren't many tourists at all.

The thing with the combs is weird. But there are so many different kinds of people in Paris, you really never know what's going to happen.

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Oh no, you've got me thinking about Paris. Curse you! I want to go back now!

I know. Blame Dav. Or Ish. I just spent a half hour perusing my pics from the trip.

Loved Montmartre

I also need more time in the Louvre, we crammed it in and I did NOT get the time there I wanted. But, we did go to Normandy, which to me was worth giving up the extra two days in Paris.

Ishara
11-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Didn't do Montmartre (a reason to go back!), and did NOT love the Louvre. Found it to be overcrowded, super loud and very overwhelming. Maybe a day when that's there is to do, with enough time to wait in line for an audioguide, but I saw what I wanted to (Egyptian antiquities, the Venus di Milo, The Mona Lisa, Ophelia, Botticelli and my favourite, Winged Victory.

I did adore the Musee de Moyen Age, where the original Unicorn Tapestries are. It was truly wonderful for me. As was the Rodin sculture garden and museum. And La Duree. Mmmmm.

Sukoto
11-29-2011, 04:07 PM
I also need more time in the Louvre, we crammed it in and I did NOT get the time there I wanted.

Didn't do Montmartre (a reason to go back!), and did NOT love the Louvre. Found it to be overcrowded, super loud and very overwhelming. Maybe a day when that's there is to do, with enough time to wait in line for an audioguide, but I saw what I wanted to (Egyptian antiquities, the Venus di Milo, The Mona Lisa, Ophelia, Botticelli and my favourite, Winged Victory.

I did adore the Musee de Moyen Age, where the original Unicorn Tapestries are. It was truly wonderful for me. As was the Rodin sculture garden and museum. And La Duree. Mmmmm.
I went to the Louvre about 5 times, spent several hours there each time, and I still only saw a fraction of it. I actually think the building itself is much more impressive than the art inside it. When it comes to artwork, my favorite museums were Salvador Dali, Rodin and the Musée d'Orsay, in that order. But more than museums, I loved walking around the city and viewing the architecture.

Haha... La Durée is almost a museum it's so iconic. Watch out for weird flavors, like Lilies of the Valley on May 1st. Ick.