PDA

View Full Version : Irony or sarcasm punctuation

Tomp
11-28-2011, 10:19 AM
The punctuation for irony is an inverted ?. I can't find it in alt codes, does anyone know how to produce that punctuation symbol

I would almost need it as a standard punctuation on my keyboard.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know how to produce an interrobang?

GonzoTheGreat
11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
¿Why do the Spanish use an inverted '?' at the start of a question?

Figbiscuit
11-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Gonzo that's mean :p

Also, there is punctuation for irony?? I never knew that...

Tomp
11-28-2011, 10:29 AM
The invertion should be from left to right, not upside down.

Tomp
11-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Quotes from wikipedia:

"¿" It is not to be confused with the Irony mark (؟).

And on the spanish question from Gonzo the clown (see I needed an irony mark there)

Inverted question (¿) and exclamation marks (¡) are punctuation marks used to begin interrogative and exclamatory sentences (or clauses), respectively, in written Spanish and sometimes also in languages which have cultural ties with Spanish, such as Galician. They can also be combined in several ways to express the combination of a question and surprise or disbelief. The initial marks are normally mirrored at the end of the sentence or clause by the common marks (?, !) used in most other languages. Unlike the ending marks, which are fully above the line in a sentence, the (¿) and (¡) are placed about halfway below the line.

On the irony mark
The irony mark or irony point ( ⸮ ) (French: point d’ironie) is a punctuation mark proposed by the French poet Alcanter de Brahm (alias Marcel Bernhardt) at the end of the 19th century used to indicate that a sentence should be understood at a second level (e.g. irony, sarcasm, etc.). It is illustrated by a small, elevated, backward-facing question mark.

And finally on the interrobang
A sentence ending with an interrobang (‽) can be used to ask a rhetorical question in addition to expressing excitement or disbelief in the form of a question.

My question is still: How do you produce the symbols on the screen?

GonzoTheGreat
11-28-2011, 11:17 AM
The simple way is that you find someone who uses the mark you want to use, and then you use copy&paste.

The advanced simple way is similar to the simple way, only now you store the thing in a text file (possibly together with some other useful characters), so that you can use it later on, even after the useful idiot from step one has deleted his facebook account.

The difficult way is figuring out where precisely Microsoft has hidden this feature in your specific operating system version. Doesn't matter if you're using Apple; it is still all right to blame Gates for this. The disadvantage to this is that next week an update will be installed which removes the shortcut you'd found.

Frenzy
11-29-2011, 10:51 AM
on an entirely different note, i have a hell of a time maneuvering in my apple stuff. Maybe it's because i've been using non-apple computers since 1983, but i am completely clueless in an apple. all i want to do is create a sub-account for a second ipod so my kids don't have access to some (most) of my music, and iTunes just keeps duplicating every single song in my library. it's getting annoying.

fdsaf3
11-29-2011, 02:55 PM
I used to say that such a font or punctuation mark was unnecessary, but recent experiences have proven me wrong about that. In my experience, the internet is largely divided into two groups. On one hand, you have a bunch of people who say mean/rude/etc. things. This is typically passed off as sarcasm, or at least the internet equivalent for sarcasm. On the other hand, you have a bunch of people who take the internet way too seriously and cannot discern facetious or silly posts because they are too literal minded.

In an ideal world, the first group would simply stop saying rude things and passing it off as humor or sarcasm, and the second group would take themselves or their interactions on the internet less seriously.

Because this isn't an ideal world, I'd support an irony or sarcasm punctuation mark.

On topic - I don't know how to make one. Can't you just copy and paste once you find the one you want to use? I'm surprised that there's not an alt command for it.

Sukoto
11-29-2011, 04:27 PM
on an entirely different note, i have a hell of a time maneuvering in my apple stuff. Maybe it's because i've been using non-apple computers since 1983, but i am completely clueless in an apple. all i want to do is create a sub-account for a second ipod so my kids don't have access to some (most) of my music, and iTunes just keeps duplicating every single song in my library. it's getting annoying.
Is it possible to create a sub account? I am not aware of this feature.

Mort
11-29-2011, 04:34 PM
The punctuation for irony is an inverted ?. I can't find it in alt codes, does anyone know how to produce that punctuation symbol

I would almost need it as a standard punctuation on my keyboard.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know how to produce an interrobang?

I don't see why one would want to use an irony marker. If you don't get the irony, you are not in on it. That's like having to explain why a joke is funny. Either you get it or you don't.

Zaela Sedai
11-29-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't see why one would want to use an irony marker. If you don't get the irony, you are not in on it. That's like having to explain why a joke is funny. Either you get it or you don't.

Especially on TL

Crispin's Crispian
11-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Especially on TL

Gay marriage with cucumbers and grilled cheese.

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA