PDA

View Full Version : I've decided to start the process of forming my own nonprofit

fdsaf3
12-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Over the past few years, I have gotten increasingly frustrated with how difficult it is to simply volunteer my time. Most opportunities to volunteer require a fair amount of work on my part. First, I have to call an organization to see if they have any opportunities. I am usually redirected to a website where I have to create an account. Then, I have to search the website for the opportunity I want. Usually, this opportunity is incredibly difficult or impossible to find on the website. At this point, I either sign up for another opportunity or have to make another call to the organization running it to see if they can help. Usually, they can't.

Argh. It's frustrating that something as simple as volunteering is being eaten up by massive bureaucracy and inefficiency. I hate it.

So, I have decided to start my own volunteer-oriented nonprofit. I'm very much in the planning and innovating stage right now, but the general idea is to work with local groups to identify sustainability-oriented projects and just get people together to work on them. I have some local businesses and donors who have pledged some (very, very limited) starting funds to do a few projects. One of them I am really excited about. I'm going to get some volunteers together and we're going to install energy efficient windows in a free health clinic by my house, as well as a few other energy-saving fixes.

The challenge right now is that I have to write a mission statement. Based on some advice from friends who know about this sort of thing, I should finalize the mission statement and start identifying key people to join the organization.

It's all really exciting and I couldn't be more pumped about it. This is something very different from what I usually do, which is why I think I'm so excited about it.

Oh, and right now it's named Project Awesome. I might have to think of a new name. The rationale behind the name is that I want to do awesome work, so the name makes sense.

Questions/feedback/etc. are more than welcome. I'm just bursting at the seems, so I had to tell someone.

Ivhon
12-02-2011, 08:17 AM
kudos, man! I think that's great!

EDIT: I have no idea how the thumbs down thing got there. Please disregard

fdsaf3
12-02-2011, 09:18 AM
What a jerk! :p

But seriously, thanks!

Ivhon
12-02-2011, 02:49 PM
What a jerk! :p

But seriously, thanks!