PDA

View Full Version : Skydiving

cottillion
08-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Well, I jumped out of a plane yesturday and I'm still alive! How many others here have made that big first step?

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9417/027961r11410yh2.jpg

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-10-2008, 06:57 PM
I have always wanted to do it, but never had the chance at the right time/found the right person to go with me/had the cash all at the same time.

Someday!

Looks like you had a blast. Details please!!!

cottillion
08-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I have always wanted to do it, but never had the chance at the right time/found the right person to go with me/had the cash all at the same time.

Someday!

Looks like you had a blast. Details please!!!
Well, not sure what details your looking for but i'll try. I got there filled out paperwork for like 5 minutes then watched a 30 minute video. After that my instructor spent about 2 minutes explaining what I'd have to do when I got up there before we went and got suited up. After that we got in a little 4-5 person plane and slowly rose to 7,000 feet. I got strapped to the instructor and at about 10,000 feet they opened the door and the camera guy got out on the wing. We moved forward , put a leg on the wing and a couple seconds later we were tumbling through the air. We ended up freefalling for a bit at 122mph before finally pulling the parachute. We floated down over 5-6 minutes and he taught me how to control the chute. We ended up overshooting the landing zone by quite a bit due to change in wind conditions and landed in a field behind some random persons house.

JSUCamel
08-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the epitome of mental illness: jumping out of a plane at 7000 feet.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
08-10-2008, 07:39 PM
I haven't yet, but my dad's gonna either do that or bungee jump when he turns 50 and I want to go with him. Awesome picture!

Sei'taer
08-10-2008, 08:43 PM
My stepdad retired from the army with several thousand jumps to his credit, plus the several hundred he did after he retired. He'd still be jumping if Mom would let him. I guess thats one of the perks of being an officer in the special forces (if you want to call it a perk) I always thought it was a little crazy. I would never do it. Funny thing about him is he won't get on the roof and clean the gutters because it's not high enough for a chute to save him if he falls...lol.

Pretty cool though. I'll look at all the pics you got, but I wouldn't be able to do it.

Ozymandias
08-10-2008, 10:09 PM
I have plans to go both bungee jumping and skydiving in September, and could not be more excited about it.

Matoyak
08-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Heh. I'm afraid of heights (but love roller coasters and suchlike...as long as I'm strapped down to something that is solid and metal, I'm fine. Flying doesn't bother me) so I could never bungee jump or skydive.

Funny story. When I was about 6 months old my parents decided to go bungee jumping out of hot air balloons and leave me with my grandma. Well, during my stay at my grandma's, I learned to walk, (yes, I learned to walk pretty early...my doctors have said that's why I have large, flat feet...~shrug~) and I was always walking over to the phone, and dialing random crap. Apparently the first thing my grandma found me dialing though was the first part of the number to where my parents were staying :eek: (or so I'm told)

Apparently I also tried to walk into her fireplace a lot too... :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

EDIT - Also, which one is you? The one on top? (That's what I'm guessing, at least...since you said you were strapped onto the instructor, that makes me think of behind...though if the instructor wanted to control, he'd probably be in back...ick, I hurt my brain...)

cottillion
08-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Heh. I'm afraid of heights (but love roller coasters and suchlike...as long as I'm strapped down to something that is solid and metal, I'm fine. Flying doesn't bother me) so I could never bungee jump or skydive.

Funny story. When I was about 6 months old my parents decided to go bungee jumping out of hot air balloons and leave me with my grandma. Well, during my stay at my grandma's, I learned to walk, (yes, I learned to walk pretty early...my doctors have said that's why I have large, flat feet...~shrug~) and I was always walking over to the phone, and dialing random crap. Apparently the first thing my grandma found me dialing though was the first part of the number to where my parents were staying :eek: (or so I'm told)

Apparently I also tried to walk into her fireplace a lot too... :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

EDIT - Also, which one is you? The one on top? (That's what I'm guessing, at least...since you said you were strapped onto the instructor, that makes me think of behind...though if the instructor wanted to control, he'd probably be in back...ick, I hurt my brain...)
I'm the one in front the instructor was strapped to my back.

JSUCamel
08-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I think you were strapped to the instructor's front.

cottillion
08-10-2008, 11:05 PM
I think you were strapped to the instructor's front.
Very good point. If the straps broke things would go bad for me not him.

Frenzy
08-11-2008, 12:45 AM
So, Cottillion.... who got to pull the rope?

(i slay me)

irerancincpkc
08-11-2008, 06:57 AM
The worst part, for me, would be the small plane... :eek:

But it looked like fun! :D

Ishara
08-11-2008, 07:37 AM
That's AWEsome man!! What was the scariest part?

The very idea terrifies me, but I'm contemplating doing it with the bf for our 10 year anniversary...

cottillion
08-11-2008, 10:31 AM
That's AWEsome man!! What was the scariest part?

The very idea terrifies me, but I'm contemplating doing it with the bf for our 10 year anniversary...
No real surprise, the scariest part was definatly the initial jump.

Funny story. I took a friend with me to watch while I jumped. I went up and he stood down by the landing strip where we were going to land. I also had a camera man named mark that got the pics and video. Right after we jumped a couple of the clubs people were on the ground pointing out things to me friend. It went like this:
"Ok theres the plane and theres your friend"
"....Wheres mark?"
"He's not gonna make it."
"Their not gonna make it!"
Then they both ran and quickly jumped in cars and sped off. He quickly found out they meant we weren't gonna make the landing zone but I can only imagine what ran through his head for a second or two.

Sinistrum
08-11-2008, 11:02 AM
It never ceases to amaze me why people would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. The only time I would ever skydive is if the plane was crashing and/or on fire

Davian93
08-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Your shoe's untied...thats the first thing I noticed about the photo.

Cary Sedai
08-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Your shoe's untied...thats the first thing I noticed about the photo.

LOL - me, too!

I have not skydived, yet. However I have bungee jumped and that was freaking awesome!

Zaela Sedai
08-13-2008, 08:22 AM
First thing I noticed was two men strapped to each other with rainbow stickers on their helmets. :P ;)

Looks like a great time!!!!!

Brita
08-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Funny story. I took a friend with me to watch while I jumped. I went up and he stood down by the landing strip where we were going to land. I also had a camera man named mark that got the pics and video. Right after we jumped a couple of the clubs people were on the ground pointing out things to me friend. It went like this:
"Ok theres the plane and theres your friend"
"....Wheres mark?"
"He's not gonna make it."
"Their not gonna make it!"
Then they both ran and quickly jumped in cars and sped off. He quickly found out they meant we weren't gonna make the landing zone but I can only imagine what ran through his head for a second or two.

LOL! He must have been freaking out!

Congrats on the jump- are you going to go again? And was it as cool as you imagined it would be?

Verin Mathwin
08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I am so jealous of you. Ah.. I want to go skydiving so badly.

cottillion
08-13-2008, 01:51 PM
It was definatly the adrenaline rush that I hoped it would be. Like the guy told me repeatedly, It's the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on. I plan on going again but I can't this year because I head back to school soon and I'm broke. Next summer i think im gonna go again and my dad actually might go with me.

Figbiscuit
08-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Weeeeee! I want to do this. Well, kind of.

I think the correct way to describe it would be - I'm terrified of heights, absolutely terrified to the point that looking over a large depth on tele makes me feel sick and my knees go funny. So I thought that doing a tandem jump would be the best thing I could do to combat that fear. I would have to be strapped to someone though, no way could I throw myself out and trust myself to release the chute properly :eek:

I'm planning on doing it for charity, therefore the fact that I'm terrified will be an added incentive for people to sponsor me more - it's not like just running 3 miles after all!

I was going to do it this month but what with one thing and another I've not sorted it out, although I have all my application forms etc, just need to find the money now. If you raise a minimum amount you can do it out of your sponsorship but I always thought that was a bit of a con to the people who've sponsored you to do it, basically they're paying for it.

Ire said:
The worst part, for me, would be the small plane...

This is also not filling me with joy.

Hi all btw, sorry I've not been around much recently.