PDA

View Full Version : RIP, DKS

Terez
12-05-2011, 06:51 PM
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/12/darrell-k-sweet-1934-2011

ShadowbaneX
12-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Well, that's sad. Sorry to see him pass. I never was a massive fan of how he did the WoT books, but I hear that was partly TOR's fault for giving him very little information. The man sure as blazes to an amazing landscape & fantasy creatures though.

Terez
12-05-2011, 08:00 PM
I was happy they posted his best cover. I really love that one, always have.

WinespringBrother
12-05-2011, 08:39 PM
That's very sad to hear. He was very nice to meet in person at DragonCon 2005. My condolences to his family :(

Davian93
12-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I liked his covers.

ShadowbaneX
12-05-2011, 10:11 PM
I had a thought: is the cover to aMoL done?

Terez
12-05-2011, 10:36 PM
No. (It says so in the Tor article.)

Isabel
12-05-2011, 10:37 PM
My condolences for his family :(

SBX: I don't know:(

DaiShan1981
12-06-2011, 03:48 AM
That's sad to hear. 77 is too young to go nowadays.
Also a shame that the WoT-line won't be finished by him, though it's also somehow strangely fitting.

GonzoTheGreat
12-06-2011, 04:23 AM
Very sad this. I postponed buying ToM for a number of days so that I could the version with the DKS cover, instead of the "other one".

Ishara
12-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks for posting, T.

DKS was by all accounts a lovely man, who put a lot of work and heart into his covers. But 77 years is a long time on this earth and I hope he passed gently.

alleluia_cone
12-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I've always rather despised his WoT covers but I have to say, some of the art they have on the TOR page is really good.

This also makes you wonder what they'll be doing for AMoL. It would be strange to have a stylistically different cover after 13 books.

Crispin's Crispian
12-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I've always rather despised his WoT covers but I have to say, some of the art they have on the TOR page is really good.

This also makes you wonder what they'll be doing for AMoL. It would be strange to have a stylistically different cover after 13 books.

I have to agree, Alleluia. I've made my share of fun of the covers over the years, I'll admit. But he really was a good artist.

I'm sad for his sake that he won't be able to finish the series. :( And my condolences to his family.

Isabel
12-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Jason Denzel (dragonmount) posted the following info on his dragonmount facebook.

I've had the privilege of seeing (and holding) the unfinished AMOL book cover that Darrel Sweet was working on before he died. While this unfinished work wasn't perfect (it was only a 1st draft), I think it's his most emotionally evocative cover in the series. I emailed Team Jordan and Irene Gallo (Tor's Art Director) suggesting they include the art on the inside flap of the book along with a blurb about him. Yes, I have pictures of it, but it is not my place to release it. Tor and Team Jordan would be the ones to do so, at the proper time.

-Jason Denzel

Crispin's Crispian
12-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Jason Denzel (dragonmount) posted the following info on his dragonmount facebook.

You know, I think a simple black cover would be not only fitting but also awesome. Then including DKS's artwork inside would be a great idea.

jana
12-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I never knew he did that Hobbit cover. I always liked that one. That was the first real book I read and it was that cover.

Zaela Sedai
12-06-2011, 07:20 PM
He was such a nice guy. I'm so glad we had the chance to meet him at dragon con.

Here, read this:

http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/9913/Mr-Sweet-SO-TOTALLY-ROCKS

Khoram
12-06-2011, 08:10 PM
When I first started reading WoT, I was young, impressionable, and seeing DKS' covers captured me, in particular the CoT cover - I have memories of seeing it on my dad's bedside table, and I would tell myself that I wanted to read what my dad was reading. So I started on EotW, and haven't looked back since.

Now, having read the books, I can definitely see all the inconsistencies in the covers, which has taken away from my liking of the covers (in particular tGS). Nevertheless, that doesn't take away from what I felt when I first saw his covers, all those years ago. To this day, CoT is still one of my favourite covers of his, because it evokes that nostalgia.

RIP DKS. May the last embrace of the Mother welcome you home.

Durvasha
12-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I picked up tEotW, just because of the cover. The riders spread out in a line touched something in me. I do not remember any other covers in as much detail as that one. I had fun trying to identify who was who.

RIP DKS.

kivo
12-06-2011, 10:58 PM
I picked up The Eye of the World because his cover caught my attention. I bought it even though I never purchased a fantasy book before in my life. I wouldn't have enjoyed this wonderful series if he hadn't done his job so well. So a huge thank you for that. I hope they find his version of Brandon Sanderson to do the cover for A Memory of Light, based on the evocative scene Jason Denzel mentions. Then the DKS unfinished version on the inside flap is a nice touch.

Frenzy
12-08-2011, 09:07 PM
That's sad to hear. 77 is too young to go nowadays.
Also a shame that the WoT-line won't be finished by him, though it's also somehow strangely fitting.
agreed

Davian93
12-09-2011, 07:57 AM
I picked up The Eye of the World because his cover caught my attention. I bought it even though I never purchased a fantasy book before in my life. I wouldn't have enjoyed this wonderful series if he hadn't done his job so well. So a huge thank you for that. I hope they find his version of Brandon Sanderson to do the cover for A Memory of Light, based on the evocative scene Jason Denzel mentions. Then the DKS unfinished version on the inside flap is a nice touch.

That cover is what made me pick up a used paperback copy of tEotW way, way back in 1993. I was digging through boxes of used 50 cent books at my local library and the cover stood out. So, his covers were awesome IMHO. I seriously could care less about the inconsistencies in them...I liked them.

Weiramon
12-09-2011, 01:54 PM
I picked up The Eye of the World because his cover caught my attention. // I wouldn't have enjoyed this wonderful series if he hadn't done his job so well. So a huge thank you for that.

Burn my soul, I'll not admit the same.

Even though it's true.

tworiverswoman
12-09-2011, 08:19 PM
I remember finding his cover art beautiful years before he painted his first WoT cover - though all his early covers show rear quarter-views of any humans in them. He did fantastic horses and other animals, landscapes and buildings, but had apparently some serious issues with the human face.

I enjoyed all his WoT covers, actually, except for Knife of Dreams. And that one only because the proportions were so WRONG. (Perrin is considerably taller than that, dammit.) But he had a real gift for color and never tried to "Frazetta" his female characters.

I agree that it's peculiarly "apt" that he should pass without completing the final cover for WoT. Sad, but ... appropriate.

And I love Jason's idea - that's a terrific concept. I really hope they agree.

Terez
12-09-2011, 08:27 PM
You even love TGS? Really? IMO that's the worst one. KOD is not much better. TPOD is my favorite, and TOM was pretty nice too.

Davian93
12-09-2011, 08:35 PM
You even love TGS? Really? IMO that's the worst one. KOD is not much better. TPOD is my favorite, and TOM was pretty nice too.

tPoD is 2nd for me behind tEotW. I do love that tPoD cover though.

I also like TDR a lot too...very simple and it captures the book quite well.

I also like LoC despite it having Romance Novel Rand on the cover.

Oneirist
12-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Even today, looking at the cover for TGS involuntarily summons to mind the image of Grampa Simpson yelling at a cloud. (http://www.misfitopia.com/gallery/image/27-old-man-yells-at-cloud-grandpa-simpson/)