PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Laws

AbbeyRoad
12-08-2011, 04:35 PM
In another thread, I posted some ridiculous laws in the states. Then I came across these, and thought they were funny enough to share:

Law: It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament, London.

Law: Flushing the toilet after 10 pm where the person lives in an apartment is illegal in Switzerland.

Law: In United Kingdom, a pregnant woman can legally urinate anywhere she wants, including if she requests, in a policeman's hat.

Law: In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.

Law: Women in Vermont, USA must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

Law: A male doctor in Bahrain can only examine the genitals of a woman in the reflection of a mirror.

Law: It was illegal to get internet access in Burma.*

Law: Chewing gum is illegal in Singapore.

Law: In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter.

Law: Single women can't parachute on Sundays in Florida.

*: recently partly overturned. All internet access must still be screened by the government.

Crispin's Crispian
12-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Law: Single women can't parachute on Sundays in Florida.
LOL. Puts a hamper on the extreme sports dating scene, doesn't it?

"So, uh, you want to go skydiving with me Sunday morning? Oh...yeah..."

Res_Ipsa
12-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Fun is coming across similar ones in your law books. My favorite of all time is that according to the Restatement (First) of Contracts: Married women lack the capacity to contract along w/ infants (<18yo) and those adjudicated mentally deficient. The response from my contracts teacher, who at the time was going through a divorce, was "don't I wish that was still the case." Win.

The Unreasoner
12-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Law: It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament, London.
Who can blame them?
Law: In United Kingdom, a pregnant woman can legally urinate anywhere she wants, including if she requests, in a policeman's hat.
Long Live the Anglosphere!
Law: In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.
Alabama? There must be a great story behind that one.
Law: Women in Vermont, USA must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.
Smells like the Grilled Cheese lobby's work to me.
Law: A male doctor in Bahrain can only examine the genitals of a woman in the reflection of a mirror.
Kinky.
Law: Chewing gum is illegal in Singapore.
Let them smoke cigarettes!
-Marie Antoinette
Law: In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter.
Seems like a rather large loophole could be found there...are there any legal minds in TL?

Zanguini
12-09-2011, 11:56 PM
In my hometown it is illegal to eat a sundae on sunday

In a near by college town it is illegal for more than four unmarried females to live in the same house at the same time.

Terez
12-10-2011, 12:39 AM
In a near by college town it is illegal for more than four unmarried females to live in the same house at the same time.There have been laws like this on the books in a lot of places, but they're getting overturned thanks to the sororities protesting it so much.

Res_Ipsa
12-10-2011, 08:12 AM
There have been laws like this on the books in a lot of places, but they're getting overturned thanks to the sororities protesting it so much.

probably more the frat boys protesting the laws than the sororities.

Zombie Sammael
12-10-2011, 08:16 AM
probably more the frat boys protesting the laws than the sororities.

Doesn't matter who's protesting it, it's a stupid, discriminatory law with no rational or moral basis.

Res_Ipsa
12-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Doesn't matter who's protesting it, it's a stupid, discriminatory law with no rational or moral basis.

Clearly you did not get the joke and most likely the basis was preventing brothels from popping up. Does that qualify as rational? (Hint: spare us all the inane regress into what is "rational" and "moral.")

GonzoTheGreat
12-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Clearly you did not get the joke and most likely the basis was preventing brothels from popping up. Does that qualify as rational?
No, as such a rule would be far too easy to get around, if you did want to launch a brothel.
Simply having the girls work in a different building then where they actually live would solve this legal problem, for instance. As would having them marry each other, for that matter, though that soluton might not (yet) work in all states.

Zombie Sammael
12-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Clearly you did not get the joke and most likely the basis was preventing brothels from popping up. Does that qualify as rational? (Hint: spare us all the inane regress into what is "rational" and "moral.")

Oh, I see. It's because unmarried women are all prostitutes. How silly of me!

Ivhon
12-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Oh, I see. It's because unmarried women are all prostitutes. How silly of me!

Not at all. Yall are missing the most obvious reason.

We all know that when 4 or more women cohabitate that there will be inevitable lingerie-clad pillow fights and tickle fests on the one full-size bed that they all have to share (because of wage inequity). The patriarchy simply cannot tolerate such an arrangement - particularly considering that these laws went on the book before closed circuit cameras could have at least...ahh...allowed the patriarchy to at least watch.

Zombie Sammael
12-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Not at all. Yall are missing the most obvious reason.

We all know that when 4 or more women cohabitate that there will be inevitable lingerie-clad pillow fights and tickle fests on the one full-size bed that they all have to share (because of wage inequity). The patriarchy simply cannot tolerate such an arrangement - particularly considering that these laws went on the book before closed circuit cameras could have at least...ahh...allowed the patriarchy to at least watch.

Whichever way you slice it, it all comes down to the patriarchy having to have control of women's sexual relations and ultimately their bodies.

(for those not paying attention, I am being intentionally mirthless for the purposes of humour. Well, I find it funny at least)

Zanguini
12-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Actually this issue comes up every few years in the courts and is always thrown out... Mainly because the town doesnt want frat houses and the like popping up. The churches pretty much owns the courts here, which is the main reason that it is still a dry county.

I have never been worried about judges legislating from the bench, I worry about them legislating from the pulpit.

The town burned beatles records back in the day, and the later elvis records, and came within 3 votes of banning harry potter.

Zombie Sammael
12-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Actually this issue comes up every few years in the courts and is always thrown out... Mainly because the town doesnt want frat houses and the like popping up. The churches pretty much owns the courts here, which is the main reason that it is still a dry county.

I have never been worried about judges legislating from the bench, I worry about them legislating from the pulpit.

The town burned beatles records back in the day, and the later elvis records, and came within 3 votes of banning harry potter.

Sounds like a nice place to live.

Zaela Sedai
12-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Smells like the Grilled Cheese lobby's work to me.

The one time I refrain from making the comment...

Terez
12-10-2011, 08:32 PM
probably more the frat boys protesting the laws than the sororities.Why would they do that? Say you're a sorority girl. You have two choices:

1. Go sleep in your dorm.
2. Go sleep at frat boy's house.

I noticed when I went back to school in 2007 that we have a Sorority Village now, so I'm guessing they managed to overturn the local law. When I left school in '98 they were still living in the Panhellenic dorm.

Uno
12-11-2011, 01:37 AM
The churches pretty much owns the courts here, which is the main reason that it is still a dry county.

Good grief! Dry county? Why do you live in this pit of despair?

Mort
12-11-2011, 02:44 AM
Good grief! Dry county? Why do you live in this pit of despair?

Dry counties, Steddings where you can't access fun.

Terez
12-11-2011, 03:52 AM
There are a lot of dry counties in MS. Most people just buy liquor across the county line; down here near the coast there aren't too many dry counties, so that's not hard to do. I imagine it's a bit harder in other places in MS.

Sei'taer
12-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Alcorn County, MS is a dry county, but in the city limits of Corinth, MS which is in Alcorn county, you can buy beer. They call a county like that "moist."

If you want hard liquor, you make the 15 minute drive to Alabama.

Terez
12-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Alcorn County, MS is a dry county, but in the city limits of Corinth, MS which is in Alcorn county, you can buy beer. They call a county like that "moist."Never heard the 'moist' thing, but it's the same in Stone Co. (directly north of me). Wiggins is a wet city, and the seat of Stone Co., which is dry. And I think you can actually buy liquor there. I grew up on the coast, which is weird, because we are a 'resort area' and therefore you can buy beer 24/7 and while liquor stores are still 10-10, you can keep bars open 24/7 too.