PDA

View Full Version : The Chosen One

GonzoTheGreat
12-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Now, this may not be a surprise to anyone else, but I've just ran into a connection which I hadn't made that explicitly before:
"The Light blind you, Ba'alzamon! This has to end!"
IT IS NOT HERE.
It was not Rand's thought, making his skull vibrate.
I WILL TAKE NO PART. ONLY THE CHOSEN ONE CAN DO WHAT MUST BE DONE, IF HE WILL.
"Where?" He did not want to say it, but he could not stop himself. "Where?"
The haze surrounding him parted, leaving a dome of clear, clean air ten spans high, walled by billowing smoke and dust. Steps rose before him, each standing alone and unsupported, stretching up into the murk that obscured the sun.
NOT HERE.
Now, this is of course a pretty well known bit. We've quite often debated precisely who was talking in caps here. But I had never explicitly linked it to this:

"Mayhap, lad," the captain rumbled. "There be stranger things in the world than this, though. On Tremalking, one of the Sea Folk's isles, there be a stone hand fifty feet high sticking out of a hill, clutching a crystal sphere as big as this vessel. There be treasure under that hill if there be treasure anywhere, but the island people want no part of digging there, and the Sea Folk care for naught but sailing their ships and searching for the Coramoor, their Chosen One."

That suggests that the Jendai Prophecy is going to be a bit more important than we'd so far suspected, perhaps.

As Pratchett puts it in one of his books (not quite a literal quotation):
"It is boding. I do not know whether it is boding well or boding badly, but it is definitely boding."

Zombie Sammael
12-10-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm not so sure. Although these are the only times we really see the term "Chosen One" used, it's possible that (as in our world) it's a fairly generic term within WOT as well. Perhaps the only reason it's used in this context is because it's assumed that the Chosen Ones of each culture (i.e. Dragon Reborn, Coramoor, Car'a'carn) are not necessarily one and the same, though as we discover later, they are.

On the other hand, I have no doubt that all of the prophecies we know of will come into play in one manner or another in AMOL, whether through their fulfilment or merely exposition as to their contents (the Essanik Cycle).

GonzoTheGreat
12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Yes, and so far, the Sea Folk prophecy hasn't been particularly relevant, apart from some diversions for a chapter or two. So it seems possible that the phrase is more relevant than it now seems.

Or not, of course. Which is why I dumped it here, instead of cooking up a nice theory about it first.