Once upon a time, "the Tea Party" meant these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgkvLhGbqyg

Gilshalos Sedai
12-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Eh... Canadian music.

Sei'taer
12-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Eh... Canadian music.

That was music? All I could do was stare at that feller in the white...I've never seen a real human being with a melon that big! I bet he can't even find earmuffs that will go around a grape that big.

Khoram
12-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Well, this Tea Party is more intelligible than your Tea Party. :/

Seeker
12-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Well, this Tea Party is more intelligible than your Tea Party. :/

Me debunk an American myth? I'd take my life in my hands.

Courage, my word! It couldn't come at a worse time!

But you made me scared. You did what you set out to do. I'm not prepared; you really had me going there for a minute or two.

And do I want you with all that charm? Do I want you? Twist my arm.

I think you're gonna miss me. Wait and you'll see. Fully and completely.

They shot a movie once in my home town. Everybody was in it, for miles around. Out at the speedway, some kind of Elvis thing... Well, I'm not a movie star but I can get behind anything.

And after a glimpse... Over the top... The rest of the World becomes a Gift Shop.

Baby eat this chicken slow... It's full of god-damned little bones.

My memory is muddy. What's this river that I'm in? New Orleans is sinking man and I don't want to swim.

And that's when the hornet stung me... And I had a feverish dream... You are a head by a century. You are ahead by a century. You are ahead by a century....

The Golden Rim Motor Inn.... Soft water and a colour TV.

One afternoon, four thousand men... died in the water here. And five hundred more were thrashing madly as parasites might in your blood.

But I'm in a life-boat, designed for ten and ten only. Anything that systematic would get you hated. It's not a deal nor a chance nor a love of something fated.

And then the dream ends... When the Phone rings. You doing all right... Not really out there.. Anyway, Susan, if you like our conversation is as faint as sound in my memory as those fingernails scratching on the hull

Sled dogs after dinner close their eyes on the howling waste. Kurt Cobain reincarnated sighs and licks his face.

But I come from downtown. Born ready for you. Armed with will and determination and Grace too...

ShadowbaneX
12-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Me debunk an American myth? I'd take my life in my hands. (At the Hundredth Meridian)
Courage, my word! It couldn't come at a worse time!
But you made me scared. You did what you set out to do. I'm not prepared; you really had me going there for a minute or two.
And do I want you with all that charm? Do I want you? Twist my arm.
I think you're gonna miss me. Wait and you'll see. Fully and completely.
They shot a movie once in my home town. Everybody was in it, for miles around. Out at the speedway, some kind of Elvis thing... Well, I'm not a movie star but I can get behind anything. (Blow at High Dough)
And after a glimpse... Over the top... The rest of the World becomes a Gift Shop.
Baby eat this chicken slow... It's full of god-damned little bones.
My memory is muddy. What's this river that I'm in? New Orleans is sinking man and I don't want to swim.
And that's when the hornet stung me... And I had a feverish dream... You are a head by a century. You are ahead by a century. You are ahead by a century....
The Golden Rim Motor Inn.... Soft water and a colour TV.

One afternoon, four thousand men... died in the water here. And five hundred more were thrashing madly as parasites might in your blood.
But I'm in a life-boat, designed for ten and ten only. Anything that systematic would get you hated. It's not a deal nor a chance nor a love of something fated.
And then the dream ends... When the Phone rings. You doing all right... Not really out there.. Anyway, Susan, if you like our conversation is as faint as sound in my memory as those fingernails scratching on the hull. (Nautical Disaster)

Sled dogs after dinner close their eyes on the howling waste. Kurt Cobain reincarnated sighs and licks his face. (Don't Wake Daddy)
But I come from downtown. Born ready for you. Armed with will and determination and Grace too...

I must admit to having to look up the Luxury. Road Apples is good, but I really only like Little Bones, Twist My Arm & Cordelia from that one. Day For Night has to be my favourite album. Grace, Too, Nautical Disaster (quite possibly my favourite) & Scared all on one album. Somewhere I've got a version of Emergency that features Sarah McLachlan which is awesome. Also, these lyric quiz things work better when you don't use lyrics that feature the song title...

Ishara
12-12-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm surprised you couldn't work in High Dough. LOL

Crispin's Crispian
12-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Yeah...the Tea Party isn't really doing it for me. Is that the guy from Crash Test Dummies (mmm...mmm...mmm)?

I'm happy that I at least recognized most of the TTH lyrics.

Honey I'd walk into your painting,
until I'd reappeared,
a speck of comet-tail dust,
a blue-green northern light,
flickering just,
in your eyes deepest ravines.

Seeker
12-12-2011, 07:34 PM
It wasn't a lyrics quiz, I just felt like getting my canuck on.

Road Apples is an amazing album.

Every song on it is awesome. But the same can be said for "Up to Here," "Fully Completely," and "Day for Night."

That was really the Hip's hay day. Those four albums.

After that... yuck.

ShadowbaneX
12-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I know, I was just having some fun. I originally looked at it like "ok, I know all these songs" then as I went through it I found that you'd quoted lyrics that actually had the song titles in it and I was disappointed that I couldn't get my Hip Geek on.

I can agree with the rest that those four albums were some of their best stuff though. Their more recent stuff hasn't had much that really got my attention with perhaps the exception of Silver Jet. I mean, they're not bad if they appear on the radio, but nothing that I'd pull up on a play list or pop in a CD for.

Khoram
12-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I've never had an affinity for the Hip. I just can't listen to his voice. It's... grating...

Now, other Canadiana I can listen to - very little Nickelback, Shania Twain (my mom would listen to her when I was younger, so it's her fault ;)), BTO (AWESOME), some Buble (although he also gets annoying) and Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush and April Wine. Them's good. :D

I even know Frank, and have met him numerous times.

Seeker
12-13-2011, 01:10 AM
Toronto has the best music scene in the world. Sorry, SBX, but it's true.

Hollerado
Tokyo Police Club
Metric
Attack in Black
Billy Talent
The Arkells
Sweet Thing
City and Colour
Hostage Life.
The Flatliners.
Alexisonfire.
The Cancer Bats
Bedouin Soundclash.

And that's just to name a few.

Sinistrum
12-13-2011, 01:24 AM
I have no idea who any of those bands, including the Tea Party, are. Sounds like hippy jam crap to me though. Here's some real music to get the taste of hippy out of your ears. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlRtG9ls3Ig

Ishara
12-13-2011, 07:59 AM
I've never had an affinity for the Hip. I just can't listen to his voice. It's... grating...

Now, other Canadiana I can listen to - very little Nickelback, Shania Twain (my mom would listen to her when I was younger, so it's her fault ;)), BTO (AWESOME), some Buble (although he also gets annoying) and Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush and April Wine. Them's good. :D

I even know Frank, and have met him numerous times.
You know, it took me YEARS to appreciate the Hip. There are posts on this Board, for sure, of me declaiming them. But they grow on you, and Gord Downie is just so in love with music that it's hard not to smile when he's on stage just riffing. Wheat Kings will always and forever be my most favourite of theirs.

Nickleback is gross. Just nasty. Shania is still smokin' hot and a great performer although it seems that life has taken a lot out of her the last 10 years. Buble may be a bit cheesy, but he's still a great entertainer. I'll add Bryan Adams to that list with the qualifier that I loved him best pre-Day Like Today. Waking up the Neighbours was one of the tapes and CDS that I have more than one copy of each I played them so often. And, I don't even CARE. Bieber. I said it. I'm not sorry.

Toronto has the best music scene in the world. Sorry, SBX, but it's true.

Hollerado
Tokyo Police Club
Metric
Attack in Black
Billy Talent
The Arkells - From Hamilton
Sweet Thing
City and Colour
Hostage Life.
The Flatliners.
Alexisonfire.
The Cancer Bats
Bedouin Soundclash - From Kingston

And that's just to name a few.

Some of these bands are NOT from Toronto, FYI. Awesome (well, some of them), but not from TO. And Sini, you would LOVE Billy Talent, Alexisonfire and the Cancer Bats. Like a LOT.

And, I'll add The Arcade Fire to ridiculously amazing Canadian Bands. Along with The Trews, Kings of Leon and Drake. He's not a band, but he's amazing...

Khoram
12-13-2011, 08:22 AM
And, I'll add The Arcade Fire to ridiculously amazing Canadian Bands. Along with The Trews, Kings of Leon and Drake. He's not a band, but he's amazing...

THIS. Although I don't listen to Drake.

Neil Young, too. Even though his voice, too, can get annoying, he's a good songwriter, and for the most part I enjoy listening to his songs.

Kimon
12-13-2011, 09:32 AM
You know, it took me YEARS to appreciate the Hip. There are posts on this Board, for sure, of me declaiming them. But they grow on you, and Gord Downie is just so in love with music that it's hard not to smile when he's on stage just riffing. Wheat Kings will always and forever be my most favourite of theirs.

Nickleback is gross. Just nasty. Shania is still smokin' hot and a great performer although it seems that life has taken a lot out of her the last 10 years. Buble may be a bit cheesy, but he's still a great entertainer. I'll add Bryan Adams to that list with the qualifier that I loved him best pre-Day Like Today. Waking up the Neighbours was one of the tapes and CDS that I have more than one copy of each I played them so often. And, I don't even CARE. Bieber. I said it. I'm not sorry.

Some of these bands are NOT from Toronto, FYI. Awesome (well, some of them), but not from TO. And Sini, you would LOVE Billy Talent, Alexisonfire and the Cancer Bats. Like a LOT.

No love for Sloan and Our Lady Peace?

ShadowbaneX
12-13-2011, 10:10 AM
No. No love for Sloan. They annoy the hell out of me. Our Lady Peace isn't horrible though. As for Seeker's list, well, ok, I like Metric, & to an extend Billy Talent but most of the others annoy me as well.

Hollerado, for reference, is from Manotick (which is apparently small enough that the spell check doesn't recognize it) south of Ottawa. They actually got a big start by winning a battle of the bands style competition through one of the local radio stations.

SauceyBlueConfetti
12-13-2011, 10:32 AM
I love this was hijacked to a music thread :)

THIS. Although I don't listen to Drake.

Neil Young, too. Even though his voice, too, can get annoying, he's a good songwriter, and for the most part I enjoy listening to his songs.

I like Neil Young. He has been ALL OVER THE PLACE on his styles over the years, but most of his stuff I like.

I love checking out new music. I will have to listen to some of the ones you all have mentioned. I used to have CD exchanges with people...10 people, all over the place, all different styles of music, all mailed CDs of music to each other, so each week you got a new CD in the mail. Great way to expose folks to new music. Ahem, without having to necessarily pay for it. Not that I ever did that, nooooo. But with MP3s, the CD chains are kind of obsolete.

Bands/music I like from all over that folks usually haven't heard:

Motion City Soundtrack
Postal Service
Big Head Todd and the Monsters
Bob Mould
Superchunk

Ishara
12-13-2011, 10:32 AM
No love for Sloan and Our Lady Peace?

Ehhhh, not really, no. I like OLP okay, I guess. But certainly don't love them, despite Raine Maida's alliance with Chantal Kreviazuk and their adorable little boys. And I actually hate Sloan and their annoying music.

But lots of love for Jesse Cook, the most amazing flamenco guitarist, and to Moist, the now defunt band from Kingston (sooo good, they were the soundtrack to being 14-16 for me), and Gob, and Default (from Vancouver) and kd lang.

OH, CANADA!

Seeker
12-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Yes, but they're constantly PLAYING in Toronto. That's why they're part of the scene.

Here's some Hollerado.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYy0EsC8TM

Khoram
12-13-2011, 11:38 AM
We can't forget the Sam Roberts Band - he graduated from my high school, and has come back a number of times to perform during our Battle of the Bands. I've met him a couple of times, too.

Seeker
12-13-2011, 12:02 PM
I love the Arkells. Here are a couple of my favourites.

Whistleblower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQgZ4hsCP7Q

John Lennon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohqhob4FD20

I'm Not the Sun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUvjfOb631U&feature=related

Brita
12-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Yay for great Canadian music. In my moody days it was Sarah Mclachlan and Loreena McKennitt.

Billy Talent rocks!

Nickleback gets a station change every time they come on. Most of their songs are either about women who are crazy, over-sexed psychos or crazy, over-sexed sluts. Theory of a Deadman is even worse. Yuck!

Khoram
12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Yay for great Canadian music. In my moody days it was Sarah Mclachlan and Loreena McKennitt.

Billy Talent rocks!

Nickleback gets a station change every time they come on. Most of their songs are either about women who are crazy, over-sexed psychos or crazy, over-sexed sluts. Theory of a Deadman is even worse. Yuck!

Honestly, the only Nickelback I listen to is Hero, from the Spiderman soundtrack. And If Everyone Cared. But that's cause I had to play it on my guitar - 4-chord special.

Sarah Mclachlan I still occasionally listen to, depending on what mood I'm in.

I think the most I listen to any great Canadian artist is... ME. :D Not that I'm conceited or anything - actually, I'm rather humble, if I do say so myself.

Now, I'm off to go look at myself in the mirror, and then write the best damn essays for my Russian Revolutionary History exam in an hour and a half that I possibly can. I would ask for luck, but I don't need it. :cool:

Frenzy
12-14-2011, 02:00 AM
Canadian music?

How about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Ly8nstfxo)?

or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ThppM3IhA)?

and (hehehehe) i remember arguing at a young little poster a few years ago who thought "I Hate Everything About You" was done by these crazy Canucks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8ekz_CSBVg) first and not these fun-lovin' Cali boys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byEGjLU2egA) over a decade earlier. i don't remember who the shiny noob was, but he just wouldn't believe me.

Khoram
12-14-2011, 02:47 AM
Canadian music?

How about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Ly8nstfxo)?

Make it stop! :(

My ears are crying red juice, now. :(

GonzoTheGreat
12-14-2011, 05:48 AM
Like. :D

maacaroni
12-14-2011, 07:02 AM
I prefer Michale Bublé (or Micky Bubbles as he is know in the UK)

Frenzy
12-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Make it stop! :(

My ears are crying red juice, now. :(

Don't make me link Rush videos....

Khoram
12-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Don't make me link Rush videos....

Although I've never been a big fan of Rush, I do acknowledge their awesomeness.

And do you mean something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTFHwTKWawU)? I can't stop laughing at how cheesy this is. The glory of the 80s?