PDA

View Full Version : Semester is over/plans for Christmas break

Res_Ipsa
12-15-2011, 05:12 PM
So . . . today was the last exam for me for the semester. Tonight is a massive party and tomorrow I have to sober up and start work for a local attorney doing research. However, other than that I plan on drinking, playing a few games I have had to put off and smoking cigars.

Anyone else feeling warm and fuzzy about Christmas break?

Zombie Sammael
12-15-2011, 05:17 PM
So . . . today was the last exam for me for the semester. Tonight is a massive party and tomorrow I have to sober up and start work for a local attorney doing research. However, other than that I plan on drinking, playing a few games I have had to put off and smoking cigars.

I wish I was, but unfortunately it looks like every lawyer, defendant, and interested party in Britain has a transcript they need done before Christmas. I'm not gonna be done until the 23rd, but once I am, it's a glorious two weeks off for me (come hell or high water). Just... got to... get there...

confused at birth
12-15-2011, 05:20 PM

nope, my dad is pissed because I refused to spend christmas with him and his repulsive girlfriends parents and the rest of my family is staying in England for my nieces first birthday.

will be sitting alone drinking jack daniels eating a cold turkey sandwich:(

does everyone on here still go to school then?

Crispin's Crispian
12-15-2011, 05:54 PM
does everyone on here still go to school then?
hahahaha.... No.

I have kids that go to school, and so do several others. That pretty much defines my holiday, these days. My wife's taking next week off, and I'm taking the week following Christmas.

Don't have any real plans. Probably have some fun Christmas and NYE, and I might even throw myself a little party on the 23rd...just because I can.

Dajoran
12-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Nope, I work as a Software Developer/On Call Support person for a very very large American based insurance company.

While all my American colleges are sitting down to a nice holiday dinner with their families, I shall be lying in bed beside the company phone praying that nothing on the system breaks that will necessitate my rude awakening.

Cor Shan
12-15-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm done on Saturday, then a bit of partying, skiing at Whistler-Blackholm going to visit my girlfriends family, and some more partying.

Mort
12-15-2011, 07:19 PM
On monday I'm taking a flight back home to spend Christmas and NYE with family and old friends. Will be back to reality on the 6th. :)

Verin Mathwin
12-15-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm moving to Colorado on monday! Pretty excited about that.

Rand al'Fain
12-15-2011, 08:57 PM

FYI, it gets freakin cold on the Front Range.

As for me, just spending it with family, and my mother's fiance (which is a bit weird for me, as she has been single nearly my entire life, minus 1 or 2 guys that lasted a week or two). But looks to be a good overall time.

Ivhon
12-15-2011, 10:47 PM

Congrats! Sounds like a great move for you!

I graduated several months ago and have been enjoying full-time fatherhood since then. We are heading off Tuesday for a 10 day jaunt through the Southeast. During that time, my license should be processed and when I get back I shift from full time dad to full time workaholic/part time dad.

fdsaf3
12-15-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm 99% done with the semester as of today. As of a few hours ago, actually. This week has been awful, so I'm going to struggle through work tomorrow and then sleep. I'm then going to clean and rearrange my apartment this weekend.

My roommate uses my TV in the main room way too much and refuses to let me use it since he's always watching it, so I'm going to take the drastic measure of moving it into my bedroom. Oh well. He's a dick anyway.

Ishara
12-16-2011, 06:27 AM
After two weeks of 14-18 hour days working, I am OFF until the 3rd (minus having to come in off vacation for a stupid briefing). I just booked a surprise trip to see my kid sister in Vancouver and I am really, really, really excited about that.

We always end up doing 3 dinners, so this year it's my Mum's on the 24, my Dad's on the 25th, and then his family at our house on the 26th...groan.

So, aside from the baking, shopping, wrapping, cleaning and cooking involved with the holidays it should be fun times!

Res_Ipsa
12-16-2011, 09:58 AM
After two weeks of 14-18 hour days working, I am OFF until the 3rd (minus having to come in off vacation for a stupid briefing). I just booked a surprise trip to see my kid sister in Vancouver and I am really, really, really excited about that.

We always end up doing 3 dinners, so this year it's my Mum's on the 24, my Dad's on the 25th, and then his family at our house on the 26th...groan.

So, aside from the baking, shopping, wrapping, cleaning and cooking involved with the holidays it should be fun times!

Managing that many dinners is an artform; you have to know what is good where and plan appropriately. Now if it is all good everywhere, I feel your stomach pain.

Ishara
12-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Well, let's just say we invited his parents to our house for a reason...LOL.

Khoram
12-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Only have one more exam - it's next Thursday, so I'll be worrying about it throughout most of the week.

I have a whole bunch of reffing to do over the next week, as well - ten games between now and Monday evening. Luckily, I get a week off after that, but then I get 4 :eek: games to ref in a day, which is never fun.

I've still gotta get a couple of gifts for family, but there's a reason why I do online shopping :D no lineups!

DeiwosTheSkyGod
12-16-2011, 01:04 PM
I've got an intense weekend of Christmas shopping in Milan, three or four days of relatively fun Christmas classes with the Italian kids (depending on how the teachers feel on the last day...) and then a long long journey back to the US for Christmas and two weeks of break time! Very excited and praying for no snow in any of my stops along the way.

Verin - what's the reason for the move? Sounds cool, man!

Davian93
12-16-2011, 01:35 PM

Good deal! Where you going in Colorado?!? We loved it there when we went there for job interviews once.

Khoram
12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Good deal! Where you going in Colorado?!? We loved it there when we went there for job interviews once.

And if you loved it for job interviews, just IMAGINE what fun you could possibly have on your free time! :D

Davian93
12-16-2011, 02:37 PM
And if you loved it for job interviews, just IMAGINE what fun you could possibly have on your free time! :D

Most of the time there was free time...the interviews were basically 5 hours in the morning and then 1.5 days to look around and check out the area.

Khoram
12-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Most of the time there was free time...the interviews were basically 5 hours in the morning and then 1.5 days to look around and check out the area.

Shh! *whispers* You're supposed to go along with it! ;)

Ishara
12-16-2011, 03:09 PM
I've got an intense weekend of Christmas shopping in Milan, three or four days of relatively fun Christmas classes with the Italian kids (depending on how the teachers feel on the last day...) and then a long long journey back to the US for Christmas and two weeks of break time! Very excited and praying for no snow in any of my stops along the way.

Verin - what's the reason for the move? Sounds cool, man!

Ha ha - only you would have intense days of shopping - in Milan. Love it! Scarves for the women, ties for the men. Done. ;)

Crossing my fingers for your trip home. I hope it's safe and quick and painless.

Verin Mathwin
12-16-2011, 07:33 PM

I'm going to Colorado Springs.. the epicenter of christianity in the U.S. haha. It was a really hard decision. I had just met a guy.. the first guy that I met where I could have a real relationship with, but I needed to get out of georgia, so I decided to move. It will be good though.. as much as it sucks right now. I leave tomorrow evening.

Davian93
12-16-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm going to Colorado Springs.. the epicenter of christianity in the U.S. haha. It was a really hard decision. I had just met a guy.. the first guy that I met where I could have a real relationship with, but I needed to get out of georgia, so I decided to move. It will be good though.. as much as it sucks right now. I leave tomorrow evening.

What what I've heard from friends that live there, they really enjoy the city. Good luck on the move.

Figbiscuit
12-20-2011, 05:26 AM
I am feeling enormously festive this year :D

Finish work on Thursday lunchtime, boozy afternoon lunch with my colleagues, birthday on Saturday, Christmas on Sunday, party at ours for all our friends on Monday night (that's gonna be messy :eek:), then a nice few days of resting and visiting family before New Year celebrations and then back to work on the 3rd.

I always feel very sorry for people that have to work between Christmas and New Year :(

Khoram
12-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I always feel very sorry for people that have to work between Christmas and New Year :(

I don't - I laugh. ;)

Then again, I'm one of those working between Christmas and New Year's, so I really shouldn't be laughing. :( The good thing is that it's only refereeing.

Ivhon
12-20-2011, 12:29 PM
I am feeling enormously festive this year :D

Finish work on Thursday lunchtime, boozy afternoon lunch with my colleagues, birthday on Saturday, Christmas on Sunday, party at ours for all our friends on Monday night (that's gonna be messy :eek:), then a nice few days of resting and visiting family before New Year celebrations and then back to work on the 3rd.

I used to love working that week. Office completely dead. Nothing to do. It was like a free week of vacation.

Khoram
12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
I used to love working that week. Office completely dead. Nothing to do. It was like a free week of vacation.

Free-getting-paid-week-of-vacation!

confused at birth
12-20-2011, 06:29 PM
one of my tutors gave me a camera worth $200 kinda wierd since its a 50 something guy with no hair and a funky beard

got fed up with people asking how my final exams went so I have started replying who enjoys their own autopsy

confused at birth
12-29-2011, 02:34 AM
what i did not plan for over my christmas break Kidney stones :(

a solid 9/10 on the cry like a little baby scale :eek:

I have been ordered to drink alot more water from now on

Khoram
12-29-2011, 09:25 AM

If you push hard enough, it might turn into a diamond. ;)

confused at birth
12-29-2011, 04:57 PM
If you push hard enough, it might turn into a diamond.

interesting but a more fun experiment would be if I hit you very hard to see if it made you funny:)

fdsaf3
12-29-2011, 06:01 PM
My plans for the furlough between semesters is to volunteer some, work some, work out some, and catch up on video games a lot.

Should be an interesting few weeks.

I'm going to participate in a slam poetry contest next month too, so that'll be fun.

I've realized I'm too type A not to have lots of stuff going on, so I'm filling my schedule with stuff to make it at least appear that I'm busy.

Zaela Sedai
12-30-2011, 03:58 PM

That was me last Christmas... sucks man... only good thing about it was that it was on that years insurance so I didn't have to pay the effing 10 grand the bill came too. Talk about being effed over lol, at least if it happens again i'll know what it is and just ask for the pain killers and the strainer. LOL

And my Gaidin!!! Nice to see you :) ~tosses late Xmas candy~

Fin
12-30-2011, 08:12 PM
im thinking of starting the mistborn series myself that and just waiting for FF 13-2 to come out january 31st

confused at birth
12-30-2011, 10:21 PM
good thing about it was that it was on that years insurance so I didn't have to pay the effing 10 grand the bill came too.

10K?????????????????

WTF did they charge to remove Callandor from the stone first?:confused:

my insurance covers it so im not bothered but I am sure the bill was under a grand, maybe because they said they would pass on there own but still what the hell?

At first I thought the lecture from the doc about not drinking enough was going to be the worst part, I WAS WRONG:(

I might hate the US system but the only time I have been hurt by it was a work injury, on the job so they paid to fix my knee but I was only part time so they dropped me after a few months so I was left with the bill for my meds.

That did me in twice though since no insurance meant no physiotherapy and when I was able to walk again after about a year I tour a tendon in my other knee my first week back at college:eek: