PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite tv program?

Tomp
12-17-2011, 11:15 AM
I was just wondering what kind of tv programs my fellow WoT fanatics enjoy.

I love a lot of the series going around now, all from True blood to dr Who and many more. Unfortunately there's not so much one can say about those in a short text here.

But there are other shows I love as well.

It is probably no surprise to everyone here that I like the british show QI. Unfortunately it doesn't air in my country and so I rely on Youtube. I have almost watched through all the 9 series.
I love it because it combines two of my favourite aspects of a show:
Information that is quite interesting (hence title QI)
and comedy

If you want to know more here's something quite interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Ff0D-dWew

and here's something quite funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I3qREbKqLw&feature=related

I think they were trying to start a similar program in the US but there were to much problems with rights and fees aqround the subjects they would discuss so it was not economically feasible.

Anyway if you like the clips i linked to give it a go and check it out.

But I was wondering what you guys and girls like.

So leave a comment or point me towards that show that I've missed all these years.

ShadowbaneX
12-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Given the shows that you're watching, ie BBC, you've probably already seen this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo)

Tomp
12-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Given the shows that you're watching, ie BBC, you've probably already seen this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo)

I do like Top Gear.
I prefer their challenges to the car testing.
Top Gear is shown here, unlike QI.

Terez
12-17-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't watch TV at all, but I do catch some stuff online sometimes - The Daily Show, Colbert Report, and sometimes QI too. Seems my tastes are similar to yours - information combined with humor.

Seeker
12-18-2011, 04:44 PM
In every generation, there is a chosen one. She alone will stand against the vampires, the demons and the forces of darkness.

She is the Slayer.

Sinistrum
12-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Currently on:
Game of Thrones
Fringe
Chuck
Top Shot
Mythbusters
True Blood
The Walking Dead
Grimm

Previously on:
Farscape
Star Trek the Next Generation
Star Trek Deep Space Nine
Stargate Universe
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Babylon 5

SauceyBlueConfetti
12-18-2011, 05:27 PM
I don't catch a ton of TV...if it is on I tend not to change a channel unless REALLY annoying.

I DVR stuff to watch when little man naps, or middle of the night when insomnia hits:

Big Bang
Amazing Race
Walking Dead
Game of Thrones I enjoyed, but not enough episodes
Once Upon a Time

Cor Shan
12-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Breaking Bad (currently the best show on TV)
Community (right as it got hiatused)
HIMYM (because NPH, Jason Segal, and Alyson Hannigan are awesome)
Castle (really dumb but still fun to watch)

Mort
12-18-2011, 07:40 PM
I love TV, I've watched a lot of it and some are crap but watchable (I've gotten higher standards as I've gotten older I think :) ). Some are fantastic when done right.

Some of the better ones I've seen in no particular order or genre are:

The Wire
The West Wing
Oz
Dexter
Californication
The Big Bang Theory
The X Files
Peep Show (british)
Couplings UK
Futurama
South Park
The Office UK and US
Scrubs
Game of Thrones
Rome
Band of Brothers
Fringe
Community
How I met your Mother
Family Guy
Simpsons
Lost

I've probably forgotten a few.

All shows has it's ups and downs though, especially if they've been on for 3+ seasons.

There is a category of shows that I've started to watch but got the ax maybe a bit too prematurely. I felt that about a few shows, none mentioned here though. Mostly it's FOX who is responsible, for some reason. ;)

Also, I would say that a show shouldn't go crazy with the number of episodes. Just stretching an arc out hurts the story as a whole. Like asking a writer to tell a really good story and be paid by the word. Oh, that happens? Shit. :rolleyes:

Fin
12-18-2011, 08:53 PM
on currently... burn notice wrestling anything discovery/history channel and sci fi of course :)

Res_Ipsa
12-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Breaking Bad. I pay $20 bucks extra a month to watch Breaking Bad when it is on. Then I discontinue Cable and go back to not watching TV.

Seeker
12-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Previously on:
Farscape
Star Trek the Next Generation
Star Trek Deep Space Nine
Stargate Universe
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Babylon 5

Well, sooner or later, we were gonna agree on something. You have excellent taste in television. I especially like your mention of the often under-appreciated Babylon 5.

yks 6nnetu hing
12-19-2011, 03:02 AM
I currently have 4 shows I make sure I see every episode of:
The Big bang Theory
The Voice (Dutch version. And the American version. And prolly also the upcoming British version as it'll be on BBC which we get)
Strictly Come Dancing (BBC version, exclusively. all the localized versions that I've seen are not nearly as good)
Modern Family

Older series that I looooove(d):
Battlestar Galactica (new version. never saw the old one)
Sharpe (young Sean Bean. Yum!)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Xena the Warrior Princess
Friends
Scrubs
That 70s Show

series I watch every now and then
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
Top Gear
New Girl
Glee
The Block (Australian version. Seeing as that one's the best)

Shows I've heard good things about and that are on my list to check out but havne't gotten to them yet:
The Tudors
A Game of Thrones

Series I used to like a lot but got tired of:
Community (gave up after that animated clay episode. it got hugely repetitive by then)
the whole Got Talent franchise
Family Guy & American Dad (repetitive)

Sarevok
12-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Currently following:
Flashpoint
Leverage
NCIS
NCIS: LA
Spartacus

watching now and then:
CSI
Top Gear (unfortunately broadcast when I can't usually watch)

Old favourites I occasionally re-watch:
Star Trek (all series)
JAG
BSG

Tomp
12-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Well, sooner or later, we were gonna agree on something. You have excellent taste in television. I especially like your mention of the often under-appreciated Babylon 5.

Well I'm happy when I can bring people together in harmony and understanding.

Now kiss and make out (no I mean up not out, oh well)

Khoram
12-19-2011, 09:57 AM
The only show I watch with diligence is Chuck. Seeing as it's in its last season, I don't want to miss anything - although we DVR it anyways.

I also try to keep up with Community - it sucks that it's on its hiatus, though. :(

I started out watching The Big Bang Theory this season, but I haven't been keeping up with it - the Habs play often Thursdays, so I'm recording that instead. The same goes for HIMYM, except I was getting frustrated and bored with it, no matter how brilliant NPH is.

I try to catch CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and Criminal Minds every now and again, but I'm not usually home where they're on.

I also enjoy watching most anything on the History Channel (M*A*S*H FTW!) and on Space. And anything on the Military Channel, too.

I haven't been watching Mythbusters a lot, lately, but anytime I manage to catch an episode, it's a treat. :D

Cor Shan
12-19-2011, 02:07 PM
I liked Big Bang Theory, but it got really repetitive to me - but then, I couldnt stand 2.5 men, so maybe its a Chuck Lorre thing.

Also, Scrubs was awesome. Especially Dr Cox.

Modern Family I like, but I generally only watch it with my girlfriend. (She also makes me watch Greys Anatomy, which is fun in a MST3K kind of way)

Rand al'Fain
12-19-2011, 05:00 PM
NCIS
NCIS LA
Destination Truth
MASH
MST3K (online)
South Park
Simpsons

Sinistrum
12-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Ugh I hate police/law procedurals. They always get everything wrong and then give my potential jury pool precisely the wrong idea about they should get in terms of evidence in a trial. Sorry folks but there isn't DNA all over every crime scene that can be found, collected, and tested in fifteen minutes so that every perp can be positively identified within accepted levels of scientific certainty. Also prosecutors don't get to get up and give speeches with witnesses on the stand or shout at witnesses, and defendant's never break down under interrogation or cross examination and confess the entire crime in a dramatic "gotcha!" moment.

Zaela Sedai
12-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Big Bang Theory !!!!
Once Upon a Time
Grimm
New Girl
Bones

Reality -
Idol
The Voice
Biggest Loser

HBO-
Game of Thrones
True Blood

Mort
12-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Breaking Bad. I pay $20 bucks extra a month to watch Breaking Bad when it is on. Then I discontinue Cable and go back to not watching TV.

I knew I forgot one! That show is so awesome. I havn't even seen the latest season, I might blow through that during the christmas break, we'll see.

Also a series I liked back in the days, but didn't mention it my list because I didn't feel it was that good. Gotta draw the line somewhere, right? :) Although I didn't really think B5 lifted until season 2, and got distinctively worse by season 4 and onwards.

Ugh I hate police/law procedurals. They always get everything wrong and then give my potential jury pool precisely the wrong idea about they should get in terms of evidence in a trial. Sorry folks but there isn't DNA all over every crime scene that can be found, collected, and tested in fifteen minutes so that every perp can be positively identified within accepted levels of scientific certainty. Also prosecutors don't get to get up and give speeches with witnesses on the stand or shout at witnesses, and defendant's never break down under interrogation or cross examination and confess the entire crime in a dramatic "gotcha!" moment.

Someone coined the term "CSI effect", that juries expects too much, or different things out of crime investigations that they might destroy the case basically.

I liked CSI to start with, the original. Always hated the Miami spin-off, can't stand the lead in that one at all. Never really cared about the New York spin-off.

Law & Order, I don't really get how that even survived the first couple of seasons, or how it got spin-offs. Kill it, with fire.

Sinistrum
12-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Someone coined the term "CSI effect", that juries expects too much, or different things out of crime investigations that they might destroy the case basically.

Its a very accurate description of a very real phenomena. Its the reason I have to talk about CSI and basically denigrate it in the most extremely possible ways still fit for polite conversation every single time I pick a jury. Its fucking annoying as hell.

Khoram
12-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Its a very accurate description of a very real phenomena. Its the reason I have to talk about CSI and basically denigrate it in the most extremely possible ways still fit for polite conversation every single time I pick a jury. Its fucking annoying as hell.

And yet... Life goes on.

Sinistrum
12-19-2011, 08:59 PM
And yet... Life goes on.

Not for some people who are the subject matter of those trials. But please, by all means, keep being flippant.

Tomp
12-19-2011, 09:00 PM

I've analysed DNA sequences, surely 50 or so times and laughed at such shows when they have a result in 15 minutes.

They use it to find the guilty before he/she/they have time to leave town.
They should have written the episodes to use DNA as a comfirming element in some cases and not as a plot devise in half of them, just to move the story forward.
It's like the cheap way out when you can't come up with another element to pull of the story.

Res_Ipsa
12-19-2011, 09:23 PM
I knew I forgot one! That show is so awesome. I havn't even seen the latest season, I might blow through that during the christmas break, we'll see.

I do not think there has ever been a better made TV season than Breaking Bad Season 4. I do not want to over-hype it and you be let down but there is so very little chance of this season letting you down.

confused at birth
12-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Top Gear
Doctor who
House
NCIS
Any Stargate
battlestar
Pawn Stars
Bones
Leverage
sanctuary is ok

any history/military channel they would be better if they didnt stick the logo on the screen, why would I forget what channel I was watching?

watch deadliest catch sometimes, I love the fact the one of the countries biggest shows is about men catching crabs:D

Rand al'Fain
12-20-2011, 01:30 AM
NCIS
NCIS LA
Destination Truth
MASH
MST3K (online)
South Park
Simpsons
Forgot a few.
American Pickers
Pawn Stars
Shows on military history (used to be one that used the Rome Total War engine to replicate ancient battles, it was pretty cool).

Tomp
12-20-2011, 01:30 AM
I forgot.
I loved ST DS9. By far the best ST series in my opinion. Too bad many missed it.

For those interested here are two of my favorite characters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUo8W_tbGtE

Maybe I should do a re-watch.
Yeah.
Starting at the second or third season, I think.

Sinistrum
12-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Garak was probably the best character in all of the Star Trek series.

Tomp
12-20-2011, 02:06 AM

I found this "tribute" to the Obsidian Order Man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVV-8f1kOvE

yks 6nnetu hing
12-20-2011, 02:46 AM

I liked CSI to start with, the original. Always hated the Miami spin-off, can't stand the lead in that one at all. Never really cared about the New York spin-off.

Law & Order, I don't really get how that even survived the first couple of seasons, or how it got spin-offs. Kill it, with fire.

likewise. I like the original CSI (even with the cast changes) but disliked Miami and disliked NY even more. the NY "freaky IT girl" is just ridiculous, if you know anything at all about computers and/or computer-nerds. With the original CSI what I like most is the concept. I do know that the timelines and evidence they use in the episodes are ridiculous but when I compare CSI with Law & Order, which is focused more on the detective-work or Cold Case (or Bones or any of the plethora of series focused on "dead cases"), it's head and houlders above the rest of the pack. Also, having worked nights, I kind of have an affinity with "graveyard shift" :)

Bones is fun just for the characters though. if it doesn't get too melodramatic.

I watched a few episodes of House but first of all, all those diseases were much too gory for my sensitive sense of... er... not fainting. and secondly, the diagnosis process was so ridiculous it's not even funny.

Figbiscuit
12-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Ooooh, TV. That's a subject I can get into. I don't watch much live TV, but am taping a few things as per:

Grand Designs - gives me inspiration for how to plan the house I'm never gonna be able to afford to build :D

Modern Family - good shout, whoever mentioned this, LOVE this show

Stricly has finished now, I'm currently in a period of mourning and wondering how I'm going to cope without all the sequins for the next 10 months :(

Also try to catch QI, and Mock the Week for good panel comedy humour.

There is a dearth of good tele at the moment, so I'm also waiting for these to come back in the New Year:

Desperate Housewives - what can I say? Total escapism :D

The Big C - first series aired here last year, loved it. Made me cry, regularly.

The next installment from ASOIAF.

We're watching Dexter on Blu-ray, slowly.

If I got Sky Atlantic I'd be much happier, all the good new HBO series seem to be broadcast on that now but we don't get it on cable :(

WinespringBrother
12-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Currently watching and caught up with current ep:

Fringe
Warehouse 13
Sanctuary
The Walking Dead
Doctor Who
The Daily Show/Colbert
Game of Thrones
Supernatural (behind a few eps)

DVR'd but not watching yet to avoid getting interested in a show that gets canceled:
Ringer
Terra Nova

DVR'd but haven't watched yet:
Breaking Bad
True Blood

Old favorites that were canceled by Fox before their time:
Firefly
Terminator
Dollhouse

Daekyras
12-20-2011, 09:40 AM
A sign of quality in a show is when a non-fan of the genre will enjoy watching it.

With that in mind I will bring my good wife into this debate by pointing out that she is not a fan of Police shows and DETESTS sci-fi.

However, recently, for a friends dinner party, she had to list her favourite shows of all time.

Top 2 on the list?

1. The Wire
2. Battlestar Galactica.

If that doesn't speak of the quality of those two shows I don't know what does.

Also, i don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but 24 is one of the greatest series ever. I can honestly say I enjoyed every season and probably nearly every episode.

Even the "Weaker" series, 3 and 7 are a cut above most other shows on TV.

For the person who mentioned "mock the week" i wonder if they agree with me on this- a week without Frankie Boyle is a wasted week. He makes that show imho.

And to finish, a small confession- I have never seen even 1 minute of a soprano's episode. Should I?

SauceyBlueConfetti
12-20-2011, 10:01 AM
I forgot to mention my one NEED in tv: House Hunters International. I cannot change the channel when it comes on. Seriously, how do Europeans deal with those itty bitty bathrooms???

Sopranos was amazing, but you have to watch ALL of it to appreciate the entire series. There were some less than stellar episodes/story arcs, but overall I think it is one of the best ever shows. The ending was stupid and annoying, be forewarned.

Personally, I hate all the CSI/Criminal Minds/etc shows...they come on and I just find them laughable. I watched one recently (came on while I was working and the remote was lost)...and an officer went to an ambulance service or something and asked for records. The person just walked over and gave it to him. Yeah, fine work fella, and shall I mention ILLEGAL? Privacy laws have changed and that info would NEVER be handed over without paperwork, etc. Not to mention, she handed him a hard copy file. Yeah, let's give our records out without making a copy. To someone who says they are a cop. And not ask for ID. And please, the offices these folks work in are RIDICULOUSLY overdone. NCIS seems the be less annoying, but I still cannot sit still for an entire epi.

The number of crazy serial killers must be much higher than I realize, cuz they sure show up every week on at least 3-4 shows. So...with conservative estimates that would be 60 or so (INSANE) serial killers CAUGHT every year, with many more out there waiting until next season. :eek:

Davian93
12-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Sopranos was amazing, but you have to watch ALL of it to appreciate the entire series. There were some less than stellar episodes/story arcs, but overall I think it is one of the best ever shows. The ending was stupid and annoying, be forewarned.

No it wasn't (the ending that is). It was annoying until you realized the scene was shot from Tony's POV and...that he was shot from behind by the guy in the Members Only jacket after he went to the bathroom (homage to Godfather)...thus Tony never knew what hit him or even heard the shot as he was killed instantly. That entire scene was masterfully done once you see what David Chase was going for there. Tony was to be killed in front of his family, thus the killer was waiting for Meadow to show up. Tony is shot nearly the instant Meadow walks through the door to the diner. It was even foreshadowed several times prior to that in the series that once it happens "you never see it coming" Tony, Sil and Paulie all make that comment over the years

Overall, The Sopranos was 6 seasons of ridiculously masterful television with very, very few misses. The Pine Barrens was a fantastic episode "Interior Decorator? His apartment looked like sh!t"

Another great, great scene was when Sil took care of Adriana at the end..."Dont worry honey, I'm sure Chris will be fine" as he's driving her out to the woods and she's just crying hysterically.

etc etc.

SauceyBlueConfetti
12-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Where did you get that explanation?

I thought I read fromt he director that it was intentionally left as open ended???

Yeah, I watch the reruns on the weekends when I clean, the Adriana and Tony B. episodes were just on. I sat down to watch those :) Steve Buscemi was great in Sopranos. I hear great things of Boardwalk Empire, but haven't tried. His teeth just BOTHER me too much.

Davian93
12-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Probably? There is no probably about it. Go watch In the Pale Moonlight again to refresh yourself on his awesomeness. I'm rewatching all the DS9 episodes on Netflix (and have been since Oct). I made a special point to rewatch all of Garak's episodes first as he is, by far, the best character ever written for that show and he's one of the better actors on any ST show.

Overall, the 5 best "actors" in Star Trek history are probably as follows (in no particular order)

Avery Brooks
Colm Meaney
Patrick Stewart
Andrew J. Robinson
Leonard Nimoy

Everyone else is pretty much an also ran with very limited range. Its no accident that 3 of the 5 were on DS9 and that DS9 was by far the best tv series of the bunch.

Davian93
12-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Where did you get that explanation?

I thought I read fromt he director that it was intentionally left as open ended???

Yeah, I watch the reruns on the weekends when I clean, the Adriana and Tony B. episodes were just on. I sat down to watch those :) Steve Buscemi was great in Sopranos. I hear great things of Boardwalk Empire, but haven't tried. His teeth just BOTHER me too much.

I've never seen Boardwalk Empire but I've heard its fantastic.

As for that ending, its my "interpretation" of it and I've seen it bandied about on the internet as a strong theory of the ending. It fits the facts very well. David Chase did leave it "open" though...in the same way that RJ left the "Real vs. Construct" theory open that is.

SauceyBlueConfetti
12-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Directly from Tony Chase in the NY Times

Here (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/television/david-chase-reveals-truth-behind-sopranos-ending-article-1.231236)

Davian93
12-20-2011, 10:16 AM
He contradicts himself in another interview though...I will have to go find the link.

Davian93
12-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Here's another interview excerpt from David Chase:

Question:Are they wasting their time? Is there a puzzle to be solved? [to the end]

Chase: There are no esoteric clues in there. No Da Vinci Code. Everything that pertains to that episode was in that episode. And it was in the episode before that and the one before that and seasons before this one and so on. There had been indications of what the end is like. Remember when Jerry Torciano was killed? Silvio was not aware that the gun had been fired until after Jerry was on his way down to the floor. Thatís the way things happen: Itís already going on by the time you even notice it.

Question: Are you sayingÖ?

Chase: Iím not saying anything. Iím not trying to be coy. Itís just that I think that to explain it would diminish it.

Davian93
12-20-2011, 10:22 AM
http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

Here is the Callandoresque version of the theory...prepare to spend at least an hour reading it...its long.

SauceyBlueConfetti
12-20-2011, 10:26 AM
hehehehe, will do...later

Yours is interesting & makes sense. I never read much beyond the one I linked. I figured there was no point as it came directly from him. But of course it was not a FULL excerpt from his book which your follow up was. Bleh. Still, even though it makes sense, I didn't like it. Doesn't take away from how awesome the entire series was though.