PDA

View Full Version : Just Like The Moon Landings...

Davian93
08-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Olympic Fireworks Were Faked. (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Some-Opening-Ceremony-fireworks-were-faked?urn=oly,99745)

So sad...

Gilshalos Sedai
08-11-2008, 09:13 AM
How terrible.

Mort
08-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Well it all depends on how the real fireworks looked like, if they were similar it isn't such a big deal to me. Also depending on which fireworks were fake. The fireworks that looked like footsteps that went through the city were awesome, maybe a little too awesome?

The most awesome were the massperformers though, wicked cool!

irerancincpkc
08-11-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't know how that is sad. It looked real to me, and it explains why they had to do it.

Sarevok
08-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Well, the idea was to create a nice show, wich they did. So who cares if they used a computer?

caladanbrood
08-11-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't care, it all looked brilliant. It hardly matters if some of them were computer generated, it still all looked the same.

Davian93
08-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Its disappointing because it was faked...I'd rather have it be real (and perhaps not perfect) instead of CGI'ed.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Well, from the article, it was real at the ceremonies. But the long distance shots were faked.

The faked fireworks were actually set-off at the stadium, but because of potential dangers in filming the display live from a helicopter, viewers at home were shown a pre-recorded, computer-generated shot. It sounds dishonest, but I'm not sure it's such a terrible thing.

See? Real to the live spectators, but faked for the people who weren't there since flying a helicopter that close to that many explosions is a Bad Thing.

Frankly, I think it's fine for the country who invented fireworks in the first place to put on such a huge display it's too dangerous to FLY near.

And my "how terrible" was sarcastic for those of you with broken meters.

Hopper
08-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Well, from the article, it was real at the ceremonies. But the long distance shots were faked.

See? Real to the live spectators, but faked for the people who weren't there since flying a helicopter that close to that many explosions is a Bad Thing.

Frankly, I think it's fine for the country who invented fireworks in the first place to put on such a huge display it's too dangerous to FLY near.

And my "how terrible" was sarcastic for those of you with broken meters.

*Sends meter out for recalibration.

Cary Sedai
08-11-2008, 10:49 AM
The opening ceremony was amazingly awesome. I don't have a single thing to complain about, besides I was too busy watching with my mouth hanging open in awe.

I think my favorite part was the tai chi, man they were so in synch and just brilliant! I could watch it over and over again.

irerancincpkc
08-11-2008, 10:53 AM
My favorite part of the opening ceremony was the printing press part. When all of them jumped out of the blocks... :D :eek: :D

Cary Sedai
08-11-2008, 11:01 AM
My favorite part of the opening ceremony was the printing press part. When all of them jumped out of the blocks... :D :eek: :D

That was pretty awesome, too. I didn't even suspect they were being moved by man-power!