PDA

View Full Version : This concerns me

SauceyBlueConfetti
12-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Brandon is in the process of finishing the final scene (wow, just wow) and has been posting all night his status in the process. He is currently finishing the final scene (then will add RJs ending).

This was was one of the earlier scenes written during the night, and begs the question, does Mat live?

Brandon Sanderson
Brace yourselves. I just finished the last Mat Cauthon scene that, in all likelihood, will ever be written. #AMoL.

LikeUnlike · · Share · 1567816 · 3 hours ago via dlvr.it ·

WinespringBrother
12-21-2011, 09:03 AM
he wrote another tweet after that to say it was nothing serious, so don't sweat it.

ETA:

Brandon Sanderson @BrandSanderson 5h
Don't stress the thing I did to Mat too much. It's a little (and fun) thing I've wanted to see him do for a long time. #AMoL

SauceyBlueConfetti
12-21-2011, 09:09 AM
actually his comment about the little thing was an earlier scene...around #8 or #9 out of the 20 he has left.

The one he referenced as the final Mat Cauthon scene was 2-3 hours later (#14)

Landro
12-21-2011, 09:10 AM
RJ talked of an outrigger novel where Mat and Tuon go back to the Seanchan mainland to reclaim the land. I doubt Brandon has the artistic license to kill him off ;)

WinespringBrother
12-21-2011, 09:12 AM
actually his comment about the little thing was an earlier scene...around #8 or #9 out of the 20 he has left.

The one he referenced as the final Mat Cauthon scene was 2-3 hours later (#14)

I think he was referring to the low likelyhood of any sequels/outriggers/prequels as opposed to Mat's chances of surviving. Though killing him off would make outriggers with Tuon and the reconquering of Seanchan kind of moot.

Crispin's Crispian
12-21-2011, 11:37 AM
So there's hope yet!

Faction: Mat will die before the end of the series (http://theoryland.com/factions.php?func=4&rec=52)

suttree
12-22-2011, 01:40 AM
I think he was referring to the low likelyhood of any sequels/outriggers/prequels as opposed to Mat's chances of surviving. Though killing him off would make outriggers with Tuon and the reconquering of Seanchan kind of moot.

Mat being in the Outriggers makes it certain he survives AMoL. As others said I very highly doubt BS would have the power to make that call when RJ planned for him to live.

Especially seeing as how those books are still being considered for the future, no matter how unlikely.

Terez
12-22-2011, 02:22 AM
Mat being in the Outriggers makes it certain he survives AMoL. As others said I very highly doubt BS would have the power to make that call when RJ planned for him to live.

Especially seeing as how those books are still being considered for the future, no matter how unlikely.DM getting boring? :)

suttree
12-22-2011, 01:36 PM
DM getting boring? :)

Just you know, expanding my herizons and the like! So ermmm yeah pretty much. ;)

fdsaf3
12-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Just because RJ once planned on doing the outriggers doesn't mean that Mat is going to survive. Mat surviving the last battle and reclaiming Seanchan could be one of many possible routes RJ envisioned the story unfolding. His untimely death robs us of RJ making that decision himself. Reports of him telling Harriet and Wilson what happens at the end of the series indicate to me that the last time he talked about the series is how it's playing out. Who's to know if he didn't change his mind at the end?

Maybe he only cared about the end he had planned all along as it pertained to a plot line or certain characters. It's quite possible that he left out what happens to a variety of characters at the end of the final book. I can see Brandon and Harriet filling in the gaps as they see fit to keep in line with what RJ intended.

Of course, none of us knows for sure at this point. But I wouldn't say that RJ mentioning the possibility of an outrigger series involving Mat is definitive proof that he survives the final battles.

suttree
12-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Just because RJ once planned on doing the outriggers doesn't mean that Mat is going to survive. Mat surviving the last battle and reclaiming Seanchan could be one of many possible routes RJ envisioned the story unfolding. His untimely death robs us of RJ making that decision himself. Reports of him telling Harriet and Wilson what happens at the end of the series indicate to me that the last time he talked about the series is how it's playing out. Who's to know if he didn't change his mind at the end?

Maybe he only cared about the end he had planned all along as it pertained to a plot line or certain characters. It's quite possible that he left out what happens to a variety of characters at the end of the final book. I can see Brandon and Harriet filling in the gaps as they see fit to keep in line with what RJ intended.

Of course, none of us knows for sure at this point. But I wouldn't say that RJ mentioning the possibility of an outrigger series involving Mat is definitive proof that he survives the final battles.

But we know that...

Barnes and Noble Chat 19 October 1998

John Meyer from Plano, Tx: Mr. Jordan, I first wanted to say thank you for such a great series. My question is: how long has this story and or series been running around in you head, and do you feel you have the ending picked out?
RJ: I started thinking about what would turn into The Wheel of Time more than 15 years ago, and the first thing that I thought of that was really solid was the last scene of the last book. I could have written that 15 years ago, and if I had, it would differ from what I would write today only in the words. What happens would be exactly the same. So, I've known where I'm going from the start.

fdsaf3
12-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Well no kidding. That's what I alluded to in my previous post.

Say (as a facetious example) that the final scene had Rand and Min living happily ever after in a home in Andor. The final scene could be Rand asking Min to make him a sandwich.

Nothing in this scene says anything about whether or not Mat will live.

Do you see my point now?

Crispin's Crispian
12-22-2011, 02:48 PM
But we know that...

Sure, but we don't know if that last scene has anything to do with Mat. I'd almost bet it doesn't, because it sounds so pivotal that it must involve Rand. I can't imagine he'd have this amazing final scene in his head that was peripheral to the main story line.

ETA: That presupposes the scene can't involve both, which is certainly possible.

suttree
12-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Well no kidding. That's what I alluded to in my previous post.

Say (as a facetious example) that the final scene had Rand and Min living happily ever after in a home in Andor. The final scene could be Rand asking Min to make him a sandwich.

Nothing in this scene says anything about whether or not Mat will live.

Do you see my point now?

I see your point although I take the above to mean he has known how the story will end all these years and subsequently who will be alive at that time. He knows where he is going. Since he had planned on the outriggers and they are still possibly in the making, that end has always included Mat surviving.

Your premise rests on the fact that for some reason RJ before his death would decide to change his original plans for Mat surviving. There is zero to indicate that is the case, and the outriggers still being in the works to indicate that it is not. Again RJ was very insistent that this was HIS world. He was hesitant until the very end to even let someone finish the series. I find it doubtful he would allow anyone else to decide the fate of a main character such as Mat, thereby changing a significant thread to his overall story.

Marie Curie 7
12-22-2011, 04:36 PM
This was was one of the earlier scenes written during the night, and begs the question, does Mat live?

Brandon Sanderson
Brace yourselves. I just finished the last Mat Cauthon scene that, in all likelihood, will ever be written. #AMoL.

Brandon spoke in a similar manner about writing the last scene for Perrin earlier in the fall:

Brandon Sanderson on Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/BrandSanderson/status/129999952859496448) (28 October 2011)

Brandon: I find myself thinking "It's been forever since I wrote Perrin. I'll be glad to get back to him." Then I realize his sequence is done.

Brandon: Note that this isn't because Perrin isn't in the book much. (He is.) It's because I wrote his chapters first.

Brandon: It is odd, knowing that some characters have had their stories told, that no more will be written about them. You'll feel this next year.

As WSB alluded to, this is about the idea that most likely no prequels or outriggers will be done, and therefore Brandon has written the last scenes ever for all of these characters. Brandon also mentioned this in an interview this past summer:

SciFi Bulgaria Interview, Aug 1st, 2011 (http://scifi.bg/statii/interview-with-brandon-sanderson/)

SciFi Bulgaria: At the end of the The Wheel of Time series we expect an epic battle. We know that many will die and some will survive. Have you made the decision on who lives and who dies or has Mr. Jordan already made that choice for you. Was it hard to let go of characters that you have read about for the last two decades?

Brandon Sanderson: The ending itself was already written by Robert Jordan, and it is a fantastic ending. The notes that Robert Jordan left include a quite extensive list of what happens to each major character, and I'm writing their fates according to his wishes.

It will definitely be hard to know that when the final book comes out, we won't be seeing any more of these characters who we have come to love since the first book came out. But it would have been much harder if we never got to see the end that Robert Jordan had planned. I'm honored to have had the chance to get inside the characters' heads for a couple of years, though it's still a bit sad for me that I don't get to read a new Wheel of Time book at the same time everyone else does.

Marie Curie 7
12-22-2011, 04:37 PM

The first notion we had that the outriggers would involve Mat and Tuon (about 5-10 years after the Last Battle) was from RJ's blog in November 2006, less than a year before his death:

Robert Jordan's Blog: A Little Update, Nov 8th, 2006 (http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/blog/4/entry-366-a-little-update/)

So there you have it. Oh, finishing A Memory of Light, of course, and getting started on Mat and Tuon, and some others, five to ten years after the Last Battle. Those go without saying. Not a bad plan for the coming year, eh? And fishing. I'd like to call Billy Glenn and run up to Cape Romain, where the beaches are so pristine you can walk for miles without seeing a footprint not your own, where the truly big redfish, 40-pound, 50-pound, 60-pound, are cruising down the coast in the surf, too big to keep, of course, but great fun to catch and release, using circle hooks for survival of fish, and if a little time goes by without a redfish, then a 6 or 7-foot blacktip shark is sure to grab hold, leaping like a bloody tarpon. It's a great day's fun, with the wind cutting in directly off the Atlantic and nothing but water between you and Portugal. But Thanksgiving is almost here, and Christmas is acoming in, Lud sing God damn, with lots of house guests for each and also in between. No time for fishing. Unless I sink to trying an ultralight fly rod in the goldfish pond. I don't think that would play well with Harriet. Besides, there's no real way to get a decent backcast. I know. I've checked, and believe me, I can find a backcast in a china closet if one is to be found.

Since Brandon took over, the outriggers have been asked about and discussed numerous times. When mentioned, the plot has always still remained as Mat and Tuon in Seanchan after the Last Battle. For example, reported at JordanCon 2009 by Tom Doherty himself:

Recap of JordanCon - Richard Fife, Apr 22nd, 2009 (http://www.tor.com/blogs/2009/04/recap-of-jordancon-aka-adventures-at-rand-alcon)

Richard Fife: Soon as that was done, it was time to "work" again. I was the gopher for the Rampant Theories Panel, which had Leigh, Matt from TheoryLand, Jakob Remick of theory panels at DragonCon (ack, didn't catch which fan community he is on the most), and Bao Pham (see my description for Jakob). I commend all four on their handling of the frothing-at-the-mouth masses and keeping the discussion focused but at the same time broad. I will also note a big big big thing that was revealed by Tom Doherty, who was sitting in the crowd.

Tom Doherty: BIGGIE! The Seanchan will not be wrapped up by Tarmon Gai'don, and the three "outrigger" novels Robert Jordan wanted to do would be Mat and Tuon going back over to Seanchan and tying that up. And, before you ask, no one has even thought about whether or not Brandon will write those as well, along with Harriet, but in the Team Jordan Panel, it was said that they haven't ruled it out, either. Tom did say he has the contract for these novels already and intends on seeing them safely to our hands.

And as recently as this past May, Brandon hinted that the outriggers (if ever written) still would have the same topic as previously announced:

Amsterdam Pancakes and Fries Report - jarno87, May 30th, 2011 (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=150629#poststop)

Question: Someone asked about the plotlines that will not be resolved in A Memory of Light, if Brandon could say something about how many that would be.

Brandon Sanderson: Brandon explained that RJ left lots of information about the ending and exactly where everyone will end up. This included some direction about things not to be resolved, which would annoy some fans (he mentioned Theoryland here). His estimate was that this is something like 5 to 10% of the plot lines, and all minor ones (we will find out what happens to Rand). However, he said that if you remembered what the outriggers would be about you should be able to fill in most of the blanks and unresolved plot lines.

In addition, as the last quote alluded to, RJ not only wrote the ending of the Wheel of Time himself (about 30,000 words), but he also left explicit instructions on who was to live and who was to die by the end of AMOL. Brandon had no latitude in this particular aspect of the series, at least as far as major characters go:

Ending The Wheel of Time: The GeekDad Interview with Brandon Sanderson, Nov 2nd, 2009 (http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/11/ending-the-wheel-of-time-the-geekdad-interview-with-brandon-sanderson/)

GeekDad: Are you just lending flesh to a largely complete skeleton, or do you also have to close plot points that were still unresolved in Jordan's notes?

Brandon Sanderson: It's actually not as simple as either of those options. The notes range in how detailed they are. In some places, he finished complete scenes, which is great. He finished several complete scenes, which will be scattered through the three books, including the ending itself.

In a number of places he gave dictations. Over his last few months, he spent a lot of time dictating to the family things that should happen. These are very interesting scenes in that they read kind of like a screenplay, because they transcribe the dictations. It's a lot of the dialogue, but it's him saying what should happen instead of actually writing it out. "And then, Egwene says this, and then he says this, and then this happens." And so the description isn't there, but the dialogue and the blocking all are. As I said, like a screenplay.

In other places, there are fragments of scenes, where he wrote a couple of paragraphs, and then another couple of paragraphs. And just like a shattered plate, there are pieces missing. In other places, there are sentences he's written, "and then this happens"—where "this" is a sequence of four chapters' worth of events. In other places, he left a paragraph or two, and in some places there’s just a big hole. There're characters here and there, and then there are a lot of really detailed notes for the ending, saying where everyone ends up, who lives and who dies—it's very detailed, and is where I think the bulk of the material is. But sometimes, we'll know where someone is at the end of Knife of Dreams, and then at the ending he says that person is doing something else, but the intervening space is a big hole.

SciFi Bulgaria Interview, Aug 1st, 2011 (http://scifi.bg/statii/interview-with-brandon-sanderson/)

SciFi Bulgaria: At the end of the The Wheel of Time series we expect an epic battle. We know that many will die and some will survive. Have you made the decision on who lives and who dies or has Mr. Jordan already made that choice for you. Was it hard to let go of characters that you have read about for the last two decades?

Brandon Sanderson: The ending itself was already written by Robert Jordan, and it is a fantastic ending. The notes that Robert Jordan left include a quite extensive list of what happens to each major character, and I'm writing their fates according to his wishes.

So yeah . . . I'd say it's a pretty certain bet that Mat survives the Last Battle, since RJ essentially told us he did, and Brandon is following RJ's wishes on that.

fdsaf3
12-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Woah. Fair enough, you win.

I'm glad you posted those references. :)

Frenzy
12-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Spoilers for Mistborn....

Well, BS managed to write an almost Scooby Doo-esque happy ending for the Mistborn trilogy while killing off the main characters. The only thing keeping him from grabbing the headsman's axe is his intregity and his editor. The two things that also put Asmo's killer in the glossary.

just saying...

Res_Ipsa
12-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Spoilers for Mistborn....

I heartily agree. I felt as if Mistborn 1 & 2 were too clever and that the ending had to be some sort of end of a 30 min sitcom where everyone is happy and laughing after Urkel goes, "did I do that"?

As to Matt's last scene, it better end with a curse out of his lips!