PDA

View Full Version : Trailer for "The Hobbit"

Yellowbeard
12-22-2011, 12:11 AM
http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/thehobbit/trailer1/THE_HOBBIT_TRL_1_2D_IMAX_720.mov

Trying to figure out who Gandalf is fighting at the approx. 1:58 mark. Gonna have to re-read but I don't think he fights anyone one-on-one like that w/ nobody else around like in that flash of scene in the book.

It obvious they're going to show him sneaking through Dol Guldor to figure out the main identify of the Necromancer. The books don't say much beyond he did it. Maybe Jackson is gonna take a little bit of creative license and have Gandalf figure it out real up close and personal.

Regardless...I'm looking forward to it! Dec. 14, 2012 can't get here fast enough!

Rand al'Fain
12-22-2011, 01:55 AM
Well, at least we know the Hobbit is in capable hands.

Zaela Sedai
12-22-2011, 06:22 AM
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Khoram
12-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Awesome-sauce! I saw this last night. I'm looking forward to it.

Davian93
12-22-2011, 07:57 AM
http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/thehobbit/trailer1/THE_HOBBIT_TRL_1_2D_IMAX_720.mov

Trying to figure out who Gandalf is fighting at the approx. 1:58 mark. Gonna have to re-read but I don't think he fights anyone one-on-one like that w/ nobody else around like in that flash of scene in the book.

It obvious they're going to show him sneaking through Dol Guldor to figure out the main identify of the Necromancer. The books don't say much beyond he did it. Maybe Jackson is gonna take a little bit of creative license and have Gandalf figure it out real up close and personal.

Regardless...I'm looking forward to it! Dec. 14, 2012 can't get here fast enough!

From what I recall they're filling out some of the story with events that happened off-screen but that are mentioned in Tolkiens other works. Otherwise 6 hours on The Hobbit would be a bit extreme...6 hours assumes 2 three hour movies. Thus, more Gandalf. Also, the movie is being framed as Frodo telling the story to others so we get to see Frodo again.

fdsaf3
12-22-2011, 09:15 AM
I didn't like the trailer. Maybe the movie will be different, but the trailer felt really uneven to me. The comic scene of the dwarves in Bag End, the frowny, almost constipated look on Gandalf's face as he looked wistfully just to the left of the camera, the overly dour and quasi-badass of Thorin... it didn't work.

I did really enjoy the song though. I've always been a sucker for that kind of thing.

I assume the movies will be entertaining and well made. I'm just not sold on the trailer yet.

I think a lot of it is going to have to do with how well they do the dragon scenes, personally.

Davian93
12-22-2011, 09:18 AM
I wonder if 6 hours of The Hobbit will be as boring as 10 hrs of LotR was...3 movies of people walking...now 2 more of dwarfs walking.

Khoram
12-22-2011, 09:38 AM
I wonder if 6 hours of The Hobbit will be as boring as 10 hrs of LotR was...3 movies of people walking...now 2 more of dwarfs walking.

As Gimli said, they ARE more accustomed to endurance.

Kimon
12-22-2011, 09:45 AM
I didn't like the trailer. Maybe the movie will be different, but the trailer felt really uneven to me. The comic scene of the dwarves in Bag End, the frowny, almost constipated look on Gandalf's face as he looked wistfully just to the left of the camera, the overly dour and quasi-badass of Thorin... it didn't work.

I did really enjoy the song though. I've always been a sucker for that kind of thing.

I assume the movies will be entertaining and well made. I'm just not sold on the trailer yet.

I think a lot of it is going to have to do with how well they do the dragon scenes, personally.

This one will also have to be judged in comparison to what was a quite well done animated version from the late '70s. Considering that there was quite a reputable version of that already made, it's somewhat disappointing that Jackson didn't instead choose to make a version of one of the longer tales from the Silmarrilion - say Beren and Luthien or Turin Turambar.

That said, I'm sure that I'll still shell out the money to see his version of The Hobbit.

Davian93
12-22-2011, 09:52 AM
This one will also have to be judged in comparison to what was a quite well done animated version from the late '70s. Considering that there was quite a reputable version of that already made, it's somewhat disappointing that Jackson didn't instead choose to make a version of one of the longer tales from the Silmarrilion - say Beren and Luthien or Turin Turambar. That said, I'm sure that I'll still shell out the money to see his version of The Hobbit.

Here's the problem with that...most casual fans have read or at least heard of The Hobbit. 99.9% of the world has never read or even heard of the Silmarrilion or would have any interest in a massively expensive big screen adaptation.

Maybe an HBO mini-series type show but not a $300 million movie.

Kimon
12-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Here's the problem with that...most casual fans have read or at least heard of The Hobbit. 99.9% of the world has never read or even heard of the Silmarrilion or would have any interest in a massively expensive big screen adaptation.

True, but everyone is familiar with the name Tolkien, and considering the financial success that Jackson had with LoTR, he could have financed such a project, and the tale of Turin especially would make for an excellent cinematic tragedy.

Ivhon
12-22-2011, 01:26 PM

And at least 80% of that 0.1% could not follow the Silmarillion.

Sukoto
12-22-2011, 01:56 PM
This one will also have to be judged in comparison to what was a quite well done animated version from the late '70s. You're kidding, right? Why would anyone even try to compare a current live action film with an animated film from the 70s? The comparison would be utterly useless to nearly all of today's movie-goers.

Hopper
12-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Yup. That was my reaction too. I already love the music.

Kimon
12-22-2011, 02:49 PM
You're kidding, right? Why would anyone even try to compare a current live action film with an animated film from the 70s? The comparison would be utterly useless to nearly all of today's movie-goers.

No. I've obviously seen it, and obviously think it unlikely that the live-action version will match the quality of the earlier animated version.

Crispin's Crispian
12-22-2011, 04:20 PM
No. I've obviously seen it, and obviously think it unlikely that the live-action version will match the quality of the earlier animated version.

I think it is helpful to distinguish between the animated version of LotR, which wasn't great IIRC, and the animated version of the Hobbit, which was actually pretty good.

That said, I don't think there's much risk in sullying the 70s film's reputation. It's been a long time, and the live-action will be completely different.

Sukoto
12-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Apples and oranges, dude.

Sinistrum
12-22-2011, 09:39 PM
I didn't think the animated version of the Hobbit was that great. It tried too hard to be a musical. Also, the Silmarillion would be impossible to do. It reads like a history text book and literally covers three ages worth of events. Even in TV series format, you'd get through one season and then have to do a time warp to a different era and the audience would lose any and all connection to the characters that they were previously following.

Mort
12-23-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm mildly excited. Never read the Hobbit. It kind of feels like more of the same, the same being pretty decent, but I don't know what I would get out of it. Will probably watch it at least.

Cor Shan
12-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Am I a bad person/racist if the dwarves all look the same/their names all sound the same?

Khoram
12-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Am I a bad person/racist if the dwarves all look the same/their names all sound the same?

Yes.

But I think so, too. XD

Tomp
12-23-2011, 06:03 PM
This one will also have to be judged in comparison to what was a quite well done animated version from the late '70s. Considering that there was quite a reputable version of that already made, it's somewhat disappointing that Jackson didn't instead choose to make a version of one of the longer tales from the Silmarrilion - say Beren and Luthien or Turin Turambar.

That said, I'm sure that I'll still shell out the money to see his version of The Hobbit.

The reason nothing of Silmarillion is being made into film or series is that the Tolkien family (or rather the owners of the rights) won't sell the rights to make movies or other products on the Silmarillion material.

Fin
12-23-2011, 06:49 PM
i would love to see a turin turambar movie of itself. numenor on screen would be great. feanor is just hard headed in the end though.

Gilshalos Sedai
12-25-2011, 09:23 AM
I have only one response:

http://1000awesomethings.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/child-very-excited.jpg

Zaela Sedai
12-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Awesome Gil :D