PDA

View Full Version : Food

SauceyBlueConfetti
12-23-2011, 01:31 PM
It's Christmastime.

So, menus everyone????

Christmas Eve- we are doing all day grazing: appetizers/fancier hors d'oeuvres + desserts
plus wine and some dessert-y type drinks

Christmas Day - I make that stuffed french toast thingy I shared at Turkey Time for the morning then later we are heading to my sister's house:
Roast Beef, potatoes, green beans and rolls are the main things with lots of munchy dips, chips, nuts, candy etc. No idea what dessert will be...probably cheesecake and a pie of some sort

Tonight, after finishing my shopping (yes, that is right, I am not done) I plan on watching Love, Actually with my hubby and having some sort of alchoholic beverage or two or three. Suggestions?

Davian93
12-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Prime Rib
Green beans steamed with bacon and garlic
Mashed Potatoes
Yorkshire Pudding
Deviled Eggs
Au Jus sauce and horseradish sauce for beef
and maybe like one other side. I made mushroom risotto last year but I dont know if I'm gonna go that route again.

Christmas Dinner is always very simple.

fdsaf3
12-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Christmas with my family is always a HUGE event, minimum of 28 people, so food is always really hard. Usually one of my aunts hosts (they rotate each year), and what we get served is overdone turkey, overdone ham, and/or overdone turkey and ham. Suffice it to say, food this time of year is not that appealing. So, I always just get kind of drunk instead.

Have a merry Christmas everyone!

Davian93
12-23-2011, 03:25 PM
You missed an awesome opportunity to go with the punchline "I always just get kind of overdone drunk instead."

Sei'taer
12-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Prime Rib
Green beans steamed with bacon and garlic
Mashed Potatoes
Yorkshire Pudding
Deviled Eggs
Au Jus sauce and horseradish sauce for beef
and maybe like one other side. I made mushroom risotto last year but I dont know if I'm gonna go that route again.

Christmas Dinner is always very simple.

Go with roasted cabbage. You can thank me later.

1 medium-sized head of green cabbage
2 T olive oil
generous amount of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
a pinch of caraway seed

Preheat oven to 450F. Spray a roasting pan with non-stick spray or olive oil.

Cut cabbage in half and slice into about 1 inch slices. Make them to much thicker and they'll be cold in the midlle. I wouldn't go more that 2 inches. Use a basting brush to baste each piece with olive oil and sprinle with caraway. Roast around 15 minutes to a side...just until it's browning nicely on the side that's down. flip it over and let it go a little more (about 10 minutes). My wife likes to squeeze a lemon over the top of each before she eats it. I like it just the way it is.

I've seen a recipe where you cut it into wedges, but I just like the straight cut better. It seems to roast better.

Davian93
12-23-2011, 06:05 PM
I wont make it for Christmas as I already bought my menu items but I'm definitely making that recipe. That sounds great.

I'm am indeed making risotto again this year...a black truffle risotto actually. so that's the final menu:

8 lb prime rib (damn it hurt the wallet this year)
steamed green beans with garlic & bacon
roasted cut red potatoes (not mashed this time)
deviled eggs
black truffle risotto
yorkshire pudding

Au Jus and horseradish sauce of course.

Khoram
12-23-2011, 10:26 PM
No idea what's going on with food seeing as I'll be at my grandparents' place in the morning for a brunch, and then my aunt and uncle's for supper - I am, however, expecting bacon, eggs, turkey, and a LOT of fine wine. :D

We ARE having people over tomorrow night, but only for simple desserts and cheeses and the like. I bought this nice Dessert Wine - a Galateo Coume Del Mas Banyuls, 2007. It's supposedly exquisite with light, hazelnut chocolates and cheese. It was bloody expensive for the size, so it BETTER be good.

Oh, and maybe I'll be re-opening my Glenfiddich 12-year-old bottle of Single malt Scotch. Not the oldest or best one can find, but it suits my needs perfectly. I am very much looking forward to tomorrow, to say the least. :D

And I'm expecting to have much more good wine on Sunday. I definitely hope so.