PDA

View Full Version : tell me about the hunger games

Anaiya Sedai
12-28-2011, 02:10 PM
I am sure I saw someone talk about this on here.
is it worth reading? I am just about capable of reading again, but nothing to heavy or complicated..
I saw Sherlock Holmes at the cinema yesterday and there was a trailer for the hunger games movie which looked quite interesting but could potentially be as crap as twishite.

One Armed Gimp
12-28-2011, 02:29 PM
I am currently enjoying that series right now. I just finished book 2 yesterday.

I stayed away from it for a while but my wife thought I would like it so I gave it a try.

Its completely first-person view and voice, which kind of threw me off at first but I grew to like it. The story is not overly complicated but there are some twists and a little foreshadowing and such.

Its a pretty quick read too.

If you have a Kindle and are a Prime member you can get the first book from the Kindle Lending Library for free.

Davian93
12-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Its a good easy read. Ishara is a huge fan of the books too.

fdsaf3
12-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I personally thought that the first book in the series was mediocre bordering on kind of bad. I'd pick it up for a quick read, but don't hold your breath that it's anything worthwhile or substantial.

I'm not trying to trash the book, either. I think some of the ideas are interesting, if poorly developed. It's just not a good book, if that makes sense. Also, there's a chance that the story gets better in the later books. I'm not sure. I don't know the plot of those books, but I can only assume that it's going to be fairly contrived.

Isabel
12-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Anaiya: its a good series, but it's definitely a very sad series. It influenced how I felt. (and it didn't change for the better)

If you are looking for 'light' reading I would suggest The Song of Lionesse (?) by Tamora Pierce. It's a childrens book series as well.

Have you read the Kitty Norville series yet? It's an urban fantasy series about a werewolf, but it has good plot and isn't focussed on sex.

btw: I have both series and you could 'lend' them from me if you have an ebook or read on the computer. (send me a pm)

Mort
12-29-2011, 02:36 AM
Have you read the Kitty Norville series yet? It's an urban fantasy series about a werewolf, but it has good plot and isn't focussed on sex.

You're talking about it like it's a good thing? :confused:

Isabel
12-29-2011, 02:39 AM
Yes, I am Mort :D

Brita
12-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Easy read (meant for teen readers)- interesting idea and quite fun. I enjoyed reading them, but mostly because I read them with my 12 year old son (lots of discussion and bonding :) ). But if you're looking for a light read, these would be perfect.

EDIT: I didn't find the books that sad, although I should have, which means they perhaps weren't as well written as they could have been.

fdsaf3
12-29-2011, 10:06 AM
EDIT: I didn't find the books that sad, although I should have, which means they perhaps weren't as well written as they could have been.

Yep, this is one of the main reasons I didn't like the first book.

WARNING: HERE BE SPOILERS

I seriously tried for 10 minutes with various combinations of hl= to cover these spoilers, but I couldn't figure it out. If someone wants to help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Two big things jump out at me in the first book as being possibly sad but failing to deliver due to the author's ineptness at writing gripping scenes. The first is when the main character's sister Prim is selected for the Games. That should have been a powerful moment, but it felt kind of blah to me. I think it's because the story was written in first-person we knew that the narrator was going to the games from the outset. Not much suspense there.

I forget her name, but the young girl who wore the wings in the Games - when she died, I didn't feel sad or anything. Maybe I'm jaded, but a book in which the central plot point is kids killing each other for sport failed to elicit much of an emotional reaction out of me when one of those children died.

There just wasn't any suspense for me, not even during the Games segment of the book. Way too much stuff happened TO the narrator, not enough stuff happened BECAUSE of the narrator. Does that make sense? Too many off-screen deaths, the end of the games felt like deus ex machina, etc. It just wasn't a well-written book in my opinion.

GonzoTheGreat
12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
I seriously tried for 10 minutes with various combinations of hl= to cover these spoilers, but I couldn't figure it out. If someone wants to help me out, I'd appreciate it.
I think that for spoilers you could use the spoiler tag:
Click on the "Quote" button, and you can see how I did it. Should work sort of the same for you.

fdsaf3
12-29-2011, 11:17 AM
The simplest solution is the correct one, as usual.

Thanks.

Brita
12-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Way too much stuff happened TO the narrator, not enough stuff happened BECAUSE of the narrator. Does that make sense?

This makes a lot of sense, and I felt the same.

Isabel
12-30-2011, 03:29 AM
The hunger games not sad?????????? Have we read the same book? Have you read the ending to the trilogy?
Have you read the third book? It is not light reading.

Brita
12-30-2011, 06:33 AM
The hunger games not sad?????????? Have we read the same book? Have you read the ending to the trilogy?
Have you read the third book? It is not light reading.

I know it should have made me really sad, but it didn't. Which means I wasn't captured by the characters, they didn't mean much to me- which means it wasn't as well written as it could have been, imho.

You are right, it is not light in the theme, but it is an easy read- which is more what I meant by light.

Anaiya Sedai
12-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Isa, I read with the kindle app on my phone.

I am just finishing my first read of a storm of swords and yes, a bit less focus on sex would be nice.. or at least a bit less colourful language to describe it. and something lighter to read would also be a bonus. even better if it also comes as audiobook, then I can listen to it while I work.

Zaela Sedai
12-30-2011, 03:53 PM
You know what I enjoyed, and maybe you already read it - is Percy Jackson and the Olympians, great light read. I was in the need for another and so I'm reading the following series now.

And as for urban fantasy that isn't focused on sex or depressing - The Mercy Thompson series is pretty good.

Isabel
12-31-2011, 02:13 AM
Yeah Mercy Thompson series is really good as well :)))