PDA

View Full Version : Should passing AP tests continue to grant college credit?

fdsaf3
01-03-2012, 01:56 PM
First, read this article (http://chronicle.com/article/Stop-Letting-High-School/130183/?sid=wb&utm_source=wb&utm_medium=en). The author is arguing that high school achievements like taking and passing an AP exam should not grant college credit.

I'm curious what all of your thoughts are on the subject.

But first let me share mine. I'll just copy/paste what I wrote on my friend's Facebook wall:

I think this article is terribly off-base, but it's hard for me to figure out exactly why that is. I just don't buy into the basic thesis of the author. What, exactly, is the advantage of taking courses in the college setting as opposed to a high school classroom? The author of the article must presuppose that education attained in a college classroom must be inherently better, otherwise this article is meaningless. Why? I took every AP, honors, and other course in high school that allowed me to transfer in almost a year's worth of classes once I matriculated to college. The bottom line is that for me (I won't speak for anyone else) I didn't want or need to take those classes in a college setting. It's redundant, and a waste of my time.

The example of hitting a homerun and having it count twice is disingenuous at best. AP courses in particular are touted as having college-level rigor. Passing the test with a sufficiently high mark (4 or 5) demonstrates understanding and knowledge of the material at an advanced level. The "home run" in this case is a demonstrated knowledge of material comparable (or perhaps even surpassing) what an average college student might learn in the same course. Again, if someone could please explain to me why learning the same material in a college classroom is somehow better than in a high school classroom, I would appreciate it.

AP and CIS (college in schools) classes allowed me to have the option of graduating in three years or pursuing a double major. I opted for the double major while picking up assorted classes that truly provided me a liberal arts education. I might be the exception when it comes to how an AP student chooses to pursue their degree; I wouldn't know. But I see no basis in the assertion that freshman waiving introductory level coursework based on AP test scores somehow diminishes the college experience.

Also, for the record, I was unable to use AP credits towards any major requirements at Gustavus. They came in as "general electives". This policy might have changed since 2004 when I first enrolled. This might or might not affect how my response to the article is perceived.

Davian93
01-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Yes....and I managed to wring something like 24 credits from my AP tests I took in HS:

Micro Econ - 5
Macro Econ - 5
English Lit - 5
English Lang - 5
American History - 5
Euro/World History - 5
US Government - 5
World Govenment - 5 (I think that's what it was called...been 12 years afterall...it was basically on Russian, French and British gov't systems...at least the essays I wrote were)

* Just googled it...it was Comparative Governments...that was a joke of a test.

Of course, if certain schools dont want to reward credit for them, that's their choice as it always has been.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-03-2012, 03:07 PM
I had AP credits in English and History. I see nothing wrong with it. I had a far superior understanding of the materials than most of my classmates at the time, primarly because the topics INTERESTED me. I spent time outside of class learning because it was fun.

I don't agree with the argument at all.

I believe to this day I would have done better in college without the "college experience" of drinking, partying, skipping class and socializing. I think it is more telling that I recognized that fact during my final year at school...not 10 years down the road. edit: to clarify, I wish I had MORE AP credits. I would have had time to learn more in school. Rather than sitting through a stupid basic math class because it was required by the curriculum (even though I taken Trig & basic Calculus in high school) I could have spent those hours learning another subject.

Sinistrum
01-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Yeah, having gotten to skip a year of undergrad and still having to take a basic math course for a polisci degree, I'd have to agree that the basic courses don't add anything to the "college experience" and that AP credit should still be given out. Otherwise, there really is no point to taking AP classes in high school.

Sukoto
01-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Here's my two cents:

Faculty-student interactions are not such an essential part of the college experience that students need to be taking more classes outside their discipline. I rarely ever talked to my professors outside class. Even when I tried, it was awkward. I really had nothing in common with them.

The best students don't need to be in the introductory courses. The intro courses are almost always taught by graduate students anyway, a fact conveniently ignored by the author. This undercuts his entire argument.

I didn't take any AP tests in high school, so I started college with 0 credits. I had to fulfill all the general education requirements. If I had planned out my whole life before my Freshman year of college, I probably could have avoided taking many of the intro courses, opting instead for higher-level courses that counted for both general ed and my major. But I didn't choose a major until my fourth semester. This brings me to my final point: Very often, the college experience is not about all the snooty academic BS described by the author of the article. It's about figuring out what the hell you're going to do with your life, then getting the hell out of there.

fdsaf3
01-03-2012, 09:32 PM
The intro courses are almost always taught by graduate students anyway, a fact conveniently ignored by the author. This undercuts his entire argument.

I don't disagree with you, but I want to point out that small, liberal arts universities don't have this. They're a small minority of the total college population, obviously.

Frenzy
01-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I went to a large urban university (SJSU, over 30k students when i went back in the 90's), and in my experience General Ed classes were taught by tenured teachers too old or disinterested to do anything else but re-teach undergrads crap they should've learned in High School. Student-teacher interaction would've been nice, but it wasn't necessary. As demonstrated by a class i took that was given on video because the professor was, i shit you not, deceased.

An amusing side-note: my brother is teaching AP History classes in Kansas. He had to take a week-long training course in Oklahoma to get certified to teach it. He teaches it at the College pace (which is reinforced because he's currently working on his Masters in History), and he's getting a LOT of complaints because some young snowflakes with perfect GPAs are faltering in his class because they lack the study skills or the drive to take a college-level course, and their parents are squawking because he's ruining their chances to get into a good college. Some parents are actually complaining to the school board about it.

we laugh.

Terez
01-03-2012, 10:58 PM
I didn't take any AP tests, though I took several AP courses. And so, I took English 101 and 102, etc., classes I clearly didn't need. In my experience, my high school AP classes were much more rigorous than college courses at my university. When you're accustomed to being in classes with all the smart kids, and suddenly you're in classes with all the idiots, it's a whole different ballgame.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-04-2012, 10:06 AM
As demonstrated by a class i took that was given on video because the professor was, i shit you not, deceased.

1. I am at work
2. I am laughing so hard, and trying to rein it in, that I have tears
3. The more I think about this and try to stop, the harder I am laughing
4. My boss went to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl so I am going to let myself enjoy the laughter and ignore my coworkers asking if I am ok

It just gets more funny. Excuse me, I have a question about today's assignment. Sorry, teacher is dead. Um, but I am not clear on what he said at one point and I think it may be on the test. Sorry, he is dead, move along. But, but, I have a question. No questions, dead. As a doornail. How can the material be up to date if the professor is DEAD? Move along sister, the information is clearly presented in a video, what more do you want from us?

Davian93
01-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I went to a large urban university (SJSU, over 30k students when i went back in the 90's), and in my experience General Ed classes were taught by tenured teachers too old or disinterested to do anything else but re-teach undergrads crap they should've learned in High School. Student-teacher interaction would've been nice, but it wasn't necessary. As demonstrated by a class i took that was given on video because the professor was, i shit you not, deceased.

An amusing side-note: my brother is teaching AP History classes in Kansas. He had to take a week-long training course in Oklahoma to get certified to teach it. He teaches it at the College pace (which is reinforced because he's currently working on his Masters in History), and he's getting a LOT of complaints because some young snowflakes with perfect GPAs are faltering in his class because they lack the study skills or the drive to take a college-level course, and their parents are squawking because he's ruining their chances to get into a good college. Some parents are actually complaining to the school board about it.

we laugh.

Several of my teachers taught the AP courses like that...it was a wakeup call on how to actually write a paper. I found it incredibly helpful though some of my classmates lost it as a result of actually being criticized for once.

Sukoto
01-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I don't disagree with you, but I want to point out that small, liberal arts universities don't have this. They're a small minority of the total college population, obviously.
What makes the article even more ridiculous is the fact that the author teaches at Boston University (http://www.bu.edu/info/about/).

confused at birth
01-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Had serious issues with a teacher last term from day one, calc class that should have been a breeze if I didnt have her.

I have an IQ over 150 going by last two times I was tested so basic calc isnt hard

90% of each grade was done on the working and you had to use her method or she wouldnt give you credit but her method didnt make any sense and I had a hard time understanding her. Ran her method past a cousin who has a PHD in physics and she said it didnt make any sense to her either.

when I tried to talk to her after class in private she ignored me then called in another student and to him to explain to me why I was being stupid then said that the problem was that the English are to stupid and arrogant to be good at calc then said if I had problems understanding her I should buy a hearing aid.

filed a formal complaint with the college, she denied it ever happened and the student said he didnt remember what happened so they dropped it.

It was to late to get a refund but I dropped the class anyway.

Checked my gpa today

Turns out she failed me the day she learnt about my complaint giving me an F crashing me from a 4.0with perfect As for 2 years down to below a 3.

I think I am going to KILL someone

Sukoto
01-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Had serious issues with a teacher last term from day one, calc class that should have been a breeze if I didnt have her.

I have an IQ over 150 going by last two times I was tested so basic calc isnt hard

90% of each grade was done on the working and you had to use her method or she wouldnt give you credit but her method didnt make any sense and I had a hard time understanding her. Ran her method past a cousin who has a PHD in physics and she said it didnt make any sense to her either.

when I tried to talk to her after class in private she ignored me then called in another student and to him to explain to me why I was being stupid then said that the problem was that the English are to stupid and arrogant to be good at calc then said if I had problems understanding her I should buy a hearing aid.

filed a formal complaint with the college, she denied it ever happened and the student said he didnt remember what happened so they dropped it.

Checked my gpa today

Turns out she failed me the day she learnt about my complaint giving me an F crashing me from a 4.0with perfect As for 2 years down to below a 3.

You might think about filing another complaint. Retaliation like what your professor did may be against the law. It is probably at least against your school's HR policy.

confused at birth
01-04-2012, 06:24 PM
You might think about filing another complaint.

I was thinking something more satisfying involving her car and a mechanical failure but that might actually help fix my GPA

thinking about another complaint but I am not sure that I could be in a room with her again without knocking her out. Spent the day after the crap that made me drop her class breaking the things I was holding whenever I thought about her

Davian93
01-04-2012, 06:27 PM
You could always appeal the grade in writing to the school's administration and provide supporting evidence. And file another complaint too.

Terez
01-04-2012, 06:38 PM
My school has two threshholds:

1. Financial refund deadline. Drop the course before this date and get a full refund.

2. Academic penalty deadline. Drop the course before this date and it won't go on your transcript at all.

You have to go through some red tape to drop a class after that, but at my school it's a good month into the semester - usually time enough to get your first test grade back.

confused at birth
01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
mine has the same 2 deadlines doesnt help if you are pissed on before you can fill out the forms

You have to go through some red tape to drop a class after that, but at my school it's a good month into the semester - usually time enough to get your first test grade back.

after the second deadline at mine you you can still drop by talking to the teacher or just stop showing up but it will show on your transcript and the teacher gets to decide if you get an incomplete or a fail.

Fail screws your GPA

Incomplete doesn't

Marie Curie 7
01-04-2012, 06:49 PM

Checked my gpa today

You might want to figure out how to calculate GPA again. If you were taking 12 credit hours per semester for two years (generally considered to be a minimum load for a full-time student), then there is no way that your GPA dropped below 3.0 by getting an F in Calculus.

For example, even if you only took 12 credit hours per semester for two years, and you had received straight As previously, then your GPA would have dropped (assuming Calculus was a 4-credit course) from 4.0 to 3.7 due to the F in Calculus.

If you're not a full-time student, then quite frankly, even if you were only averaging 6 credit hours per semester for two years, your GPA still would have only dropped from 4.0 to 3.3 as a result of an F in one 4-credit course (and to 3.2 for a 5-credit Calculus course).

Terez
01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I wondered about that too. My GPA makes very small changes from semester to semester, regardless of how well/bad I do.

confused at birth
01-04-2012, 07:01 PM
16 hours is the norm here but I have never done that many at a time

it is done by a computer not me it is only just under but I dont know if this is my total or just last years, they only let me see a one number.

And it looks like some of my grades are not up yet which is stupid but not all of my teachers are good with computers.

It was a 5 credit class and I was only taking 11 hours last term.

it is more the fact that she screwed me over that is pissing me off. I had a F about 5 years and it took me years to get back up with only one B in 4 and a half years. Took the class got it changed to an A and convinced them to delete my older F grade

I tend to retake any class I dont get an A in and they normally let you replace your grade with your new one

might take another couple of courses on top of the my double major so I can fix this.

fdsaf3
01-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Calculus has a pretty universal teaching method for the first semester. I'm curious what this other method was, and how it differed from the generally accepted first-semester method.

Davian93
01-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Calculus has a pretty universal teaching method for the first semester. I'm curious what this other method was, and how it differed from the generally accepted first-semester method.

Calculus: "How to program a graphing calculator"

Res_Ipsa
01-04-2012, 10:11 PM

Program a graphing calculator to play Super Mario Brothers and Tetris.

confused at birth
01-04-2012, 10:26 PM

maybe it was one of the methods this useless bitch had never heard of, it wasn't the one from the textbook and I couldnt explain it to you but it was the only one she would accept on tests.

people tried to use others and she failed them for it even when they got the question right and all the working was correct.

I hate the whole math department anyway, I need this plus four others but they only do homework for math majors everyone else has to pay for this online service that costs an extra $70 per class so they can cut down on marking.

ANYWAY

when pissed off a good film to watch is Tucker & Dale VS Evil stupid but funny

Calc is actually the reason I had to take those IQ tests, I got 97% on a school calc exam even though I never showed up to class and slept for half the exam and they claimed I had to have cheated and I told them to go to hell I was just smarter than them and they told me to prove it.

fdsaf3
01-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Ok, not to be argumentative, but here's what I'm not understanding.

For the record, I majored in math and have tutored hundreds of students. I'm quite familiar with the concepts covered in the average first-semester calculus course.

It usually goes something like:

review of functions/graphing/etc.
limits/continuity
derivatives
applications of derivatives (optimization, related rates)
sums/integration/applications of integration

I'm struggling to think of when using different methods for any of these concepts is even possible. Again, I'm not trying to disagree with you or be argumentative.

My advice to you is to take this complaint up the food chain.

My other advice to you is to moderate how you are communicating this information when you are making your complaints. No offense, but you aren't really communicating what this other teaching method is, only that your professor was a bitch for requiring that students use it. The administration is going to need concrete examples of what happened and what was wrong with it. You seem to be hanging your hat on the results of your IQ test. If it's accurate or not is irrelevant for this. Based on the few posts I've seen of yours in this thread, I would strongly urge you to make sure that you are communicating your thoughts coherently and, most importantly, without hostility. I appreciate that you're on an internet message board and aren't communicating your thoughts the same way as you would in real life.

Just take what I'm saying as a cautionary (and friendly) reminder, not a criticism of you as a person. Good luck!

eta:

I bought a TI-89 in 6th grade. That's when I knew I was going to be a math major in college (no joke). I used it for everything up until I got into calculus, at which point my teachers were like "hey, this thing can solve 90% of the problems in the course". I had to use a TI-83 (which is a major step backward if you're used to the powerhouse 89) for calculus. Eventually I just stopped using a calculator. I credit that experience for making me not dependent on a calculator to do simple calculations. I had to rely on mental math. that was a really good experience to have.

I realize this has nothing to do with your post, but you made me think of it. So you're responsible for getting us off topic! :P

confused at birth
01-04-2012, 11:38 PM
no fight here just pissed at her,

My other advice to you is to moderate how you are communicating this information when you are making your complaints.

I asked her if she could slow down a little and go back over things sometimes because I was having trouble understanding what she was trying to teach.
after the crap that made up her reply I walked away without saying anything while she was still making jokes about me being english, I wanted to crack her head open at the time

I did at the time and when she denied that anything had happened they just came back to me and said pretty much no proof no problem

I am taking two degrees that are about 50% engineering and they dont give me problems and I usually end up top of the class.

I have never seen a teacher this bad before, from what I could find out only 5 or 6 people finished the class out of the 50 that were still there when I left.

I am not claiming to be a perfect student, I get lazy or bored but I have never been behind after a week before because a teacher refused to ever go over something twice and for review put 20 questions on the board and told us to write them down and practice them for next lesson.

I think there is a growing movement to get her fired, hopefully out of a cannon into a barb wire fence

Good luck!

thanks

Terez
01-05-2012, 12:12 AM
I bought a TI-89 in 6th grade. That's when I knew I was going to be a math major in college (no joke). I used it for everything up until I got into calculus, at which point my teachers were like "hey, this thing can solve 90% of the problems in the course". I had to use a TI-83 (which is a major step backward if you're used to the powerhouse 89) for calculus. Eventually I just stopped using a calculator. I credit that experience for making me not dependent on a calculator to do simple calculations. I had to rely on mental math. that was a really good experience to have.I credit Waffle House for my non-calculatorness. When I first started working there, we weren't allowed to have calculators. It was the company's way of encouraging math skills in the working class. And me being the person I am, I really dislike writing down carry-over numbers, so I made myself do it without, which led to me adding left-to-right in my head. As a cook I often added up the servers' tickets when I was trying to decipher what the hell they were trying to order. Now they use calculators, and they still take forever to add up tickets, and have to use calculators to figure out what 10% is. (The 7% sales tax is bit easier to forgive.)

Cor Shan
01-05-2012, 02:30 AM
I'm fairly unsure of how to add left to right.

Took IB, used 6 credits towards my chem degree. It was sort of awesome - I got to skip my first year lectures. On the downside, I had to take the first year lab independently of the course - I already knew the material, but didn't know what was expected of a uni. lab. Got 12 credits towards other junk though.

GonzoTheGreat
01-05-2012, 03:34 AM
after the crap that made up her reply I walked away without saying anything while she was still making jokes about me being english, I wanted to crack her head open at the time
You could file a complaint for racism.

Of course, it could be difficult to prove. But on the other hand, it would be justified, and it would definitely stir up some attention from the higher ups.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-05-2012, 07:55 AM
which led to me adding left-to-right in my head.

Heh. I add left to right too. No idea how I learned that, it just seems natural And faster.

Davian93
01-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Ok, not to be argumentative, but here's what I'm not understanding.

For the record, I majored in math and have tutored hundreds of students. I'm quite familiar with the concepts covered in the average first-semester calculus course.

It usually goes something like:

review of functions/graphing/etc.
limits/continuity
derivatives
applications of derivatives (optimization, related rates)
sums/integration/applications of integration

I'm struggling to think of when using different methods for any of these concepts is even possible. Again, I'm not trying to disagree with you or be argumentative.

My other advice to you is to moderate how you are communicating this information when you are making your complaints. No offense, but you aren't really communicating what this other teaching method is, only that your professor was a bitch for requiring that students use it. The administration is going to need concrete examples of what happened and what was wrong with it. You seem to be hanging your hat on the results of your IQ test. If it's accurate or not is irrelevant for this. Based on the few posts I've seen of yours in this thread, I would strongly urge you to make sure that you are communicating your thoughts coherently and, most importantly, without hostility. I appreciate that you're on an internet message board and aren't communicating your thoughts the same way as you would in real life.

Just take what I'm saying as a cautionary (and friendly) reminder, not a criticism of you as a person. Good luck!

eta:

I bought a TI-89 in 6th grade. That's when I knew I was going to be a math major in college (no joke). I used it for everything up until I got into calculus, at which point my teachers were like "hey, this thing can solve 90% of the problems in the course". I had to use a TI-83 (which is a major step backward if you're used to the powerhouse 89) for calculus. Eventually I just stopped using a calculator. I credit that experience for making me not dependent on a calculator to do simple calculations. I had to rely on mental math. that was a really good experience to have.

I realize this has nothing to do with your post, but you made me think of it. So you're responsible for getting us off topic! :P

I took Calc in my junior year of HS and used a Ti-85 (I think...). The class (along with Astronomy which was more like astrophysics) was me programming that calculator. I'm not a Math/Science guy as neither really interests me but I still did well enough in both classes just on figuring out how to program in the equations and then spitting out answers on tests. I recently (last year) gave that calculator to a friend at work for his son in HS...it still had all the equations programmed in so the kid was pretty happy I think. I had left it sitting in a box for 10+ years so I had zero use for the bloody thing.

confused at birth
01-05-2012, 12:29 PM
OK ranting over spoke to the college they are looking into it

short rant money never showed and had to pay out of pocket now have about $4 in the bank.

Just getting fwed up with women being able to get away with things that would stick me in jail or get me kicked out of the country and being told to man up and ignore it or just getting laughed at

something more fun than my life right now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16426024

Terez
01-05-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm fairly unsure of how to add left to right. Well, you have to look right before you write down the first number and see if you're going to have to carry, and how much. It's not as hard as it might seem.

Cor Shan
01-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Oh. Okay then. That makes sense but i dont know if I'd call it left to right...

Terez
01-05-2012, 04:15 PM
It is, because you start on the left, rather than the right. That doesn't mean you don't have to take the immediate right into consideration when you're doing it, just that you start on the left.

Ivhon
01-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Ahhhh....I remember having a 2 in integral calculus at midterm when I dropped. Granted 10 was passing and 40 was an A....but still. 2 is my official lowest grade.

Cor Shan
01-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Calc three - I passed it. I have never considered passing a class an accomplishment before now.

fdsaf3
01-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Calc three - I passed it. I have never considered passing a class an accomplishment before now.

Calc III is either multivariable calculus or some weird combination of linear algebra, analysis, and geometric series.

Which one was yours?

Cor Shan
01-06-2012, 05:11 AM
multivar. I did decent in linear algebra.

fdsaf3
01-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Yeah, multivariate can be a mindblowing experience. Every theorem is basically "you did this in two dimensions and it made sense; now, we do it in n dimensions".

Woah.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Well, you have to look right before you write down the first number and see if you're going to have to carry, and how much. It's not as hard as it might seem.

good god, I hate math with numbers. I'm pretty ok with the spacial and more abstract things but numbers: not good. As evidenced by the one time I took an IQ test and scored above average or average in everything except simple math, in which apparently it's a wonder I function at all. Seriously, brain-damaged level.

7+8=24
35/9=17

that sort of thing. Thankfully, that's what calculators are for.

as for stupid teachers, in freshman year in Uni we had to take Philosophy For Beginners, which was possible to either attend or take the notes from an online location and show up for the exam. Which I did. Lots of material, I passed the course by the skin of my teeth, while about 40% failed in the first try. I hear it's still the same teacher but due to several complaints he's cut the material by about half... except the flunk-rate is still 40%

Compared with another course - history of agriculture - nominally worth the same amount of points, where the whole thing was a breeze. Supposedly advanced-level though, but I recall having an oral exam and telling her the ins and outs of reindeer herding. What THAT has to do with agriculture, is anyone's guess but it was part of the material.

Davian93
01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
I knew a professor that would pre-label each stair of his office building with a specific letter grade and simply toss all his papers down the stairs and grade based on which one it landed on.

Most people got Cs with a smattering of Bs and a few As. Seemed to work I guess.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
I can't rep you again, too soon.

Heh, your math skills are, yeah, lacking. But you know about REINDEER HERDING? Come sit by me, I wanna hear all about that :) (and I am not joking!)

yks 6nnetu hing
01-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I can't rep you again, too soon.

Heh, your math skills are, yeah, lacking. But you know about REINDEER HERDING? Come sit by me, I wanna hear all about that :) (and I am not joking!)

lol, well a lot of it you can find out online anyways (Wikipedia) but something that one might not think of and that I found pretty interesting is that because reindeer live in such a cold climate where nothing much grows, they'll eat anything, and therefore since they eat everything in their way, they need to move all the time. So in Canada, it's pretty easy with the migrations, as it's all one country, but in Scandinavia they've got very specific laws to allow for the Sami people to move with the herds across the state borders.

GonzoTheGreat
01-06-2012, 09:13 AM
So in Canada, it's pretty easy with the migrations, as it's all one country, but in Scandinavia they've got very specific laws to allow for the Sami people to move with the herds across the state borders.
Which, of course, wouldn't have been necessary if somebody hadn't inconsiderately plonked a bunch of state borders right in the way of those migrations.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Which, of course, wouldn't have been necessary if somebody hadn't inconsiderately plonked a bunch of state borders right in the way of those migrations.

it's actually pretty tricky: Norway, Sweden and Finland are all Schengen countries, but only Norway is in NATO so technically there the border crossing ought to be (for NATO, that is) strictly monitored. On the other hand, you've got the border between Finland and Russia, which is its own can of worms, really.

Now THAT would make an intriguing plot for a movie... well, I SAY intriguing, what it would actually be is just lots of reindeer poop.

Davian93
01-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Things would be simplier if they just gave Finland back to Russia and gave Sweden control over Norway again.

It'd be win-win.

Terez
01-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Can we give Denmark to Germany?

Davian93
01-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Only Schleswig and Holstein...the Danes get to keep the rest.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-06-2012, 10:34 AM

There are no reindeers in Denmark, it's too much in the south. So giving it to Germany would really not help anyone...

Davian93
01-06-2012, 10:48 AM
There are no reindeers in Denmark, it's too much in the south. So giving it to Germany would really not help anyone...

It would help out the Germans...they just need some breathing room is all.

Sukoto
01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
OK ranting over spoke to the college they are looking into it

short rant money never showed and had to pay out of pocket now have about $4 in the bank.

Just getting fwed up with women being able to get away with things that would stick me in jail or get me kicked out of the country and being told to man up and ignore it or just getting laughed at

something more fun than my life right now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16426024

Seriously, dude. What your teacher did is harassment. If she was making fun of you for being "English," then she was illegally harassing you based on your national origin. National origin is a protected group in any workplace in the U.S., and EVERYONE is in this protected group. You can ask the HR department to speak to whoever is in charge of harassment cases and provide specific details about the harassment, then file a complaint not only for the harassment but for the retaliation, which is also illegal. Giving you an F in the course can be considered retaliation because it followed your original complaint and it can hurt your academic career and cost you money. Even if your original complaint was rejected, you should file a complaint for the retaliation. You cannot get in trouble for it unless you make a false claim.

As I am typing this, I am taking an anti-harassment training module online because I will be teaching courses at a local graduate school this semester. Seriously, you shouldn't let your teacher get away with that kind of BS. Even if she doesn't get disciplined, you can at least make your disapproval very clear through your complaints. The school should open a formal investigation, and that will make things inconvenient for the teacher at the very least. And hopefully it will help curb her inappropriate workplace behavior in the future.

Tomp
01-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Things would be simplier if they just gave Finland back to Russia and gave Sweden control over Norway again.

It'd be win-win.

Actually, in the late 17th century we had Norway, Finland, the Baltic states and parts of northern Germany. It has gone downhill since then.:o

Davian93
01-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Actually, in the late 17th century we had Norway, Finland, the Baltic states and parts of northern Germany. It has gone downhill since then.:o

That's what you get for pissing off Peter the Great.

confused at birth
01-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Seriously, dude. What your teacher did is harassment. If she was making fun of you for being "English," then she was illegally harassing you based on your national origin. National origin is a protected group in any workplace in the U.S., and EVERYONE is in this protected group.

I get crap for being English all the time but most of it isnt a big deal as they are morons and mostly just ask questions. I joke with some teachers about it and let them give me crap and make jokes because I have known them for 5 years now and we both know when to stop, hell one of my teachers will slap the back of my head but that is fine wit me I liken the guy and he only does it when we are both goofing around.

Most of my trouble seems to come from single
women 35+ but I dont normally mind as they leave it at comments about my accentand dont get bad unless they are drunk.

my comment about gooing to jail or being kicked out of the country wasnt about my teacher it was about why I guit my last job.

Started in may, working there a few weeks and I ended up at some stupid work dinner and I was getting grilled by the rest to find out more about me when they asked if I had a girlfriend and if I was interested in any of the girls at work. I ended up having to explain that I dont beleive in sex before marriage to get them off my back, the guys thought I was wierd, most of the younger women thought it was sweet but the older women seemed to find it offensive.

They started getting drunk they began giving me crap about it and wanted to know why they were not good enough for me, I ignored this for a while until one of them decided to force the issue by grabbing me I told her told her to fuck off and left.

They didnt leave at that and I quit when it became a game to sneak up behind me and try to stick their hands in my boxers when I complained about it my boss just laughed and wanted to know why I didnt just sleep with them since I didnt have a girlfriend in the end he just told me to man up and put up with it.

If it had been the other way around I would be in prison right now but because I am a man I was told to put up with it. When my mother called and wanted to know why I quit my job she thought it as funny as well but when I asked what she would think of a 40 year old man doing the same to a 22 year old girl she said that would be a crime.

It most be the accent because I have never considered myself to be very good looking

Davian93
01-08-2012, 07:55 PM
~mental note...start talking with a British accent~

Ivhon
01-09-2012, 08:49 AM
~mental note...start talking with a British accent~

Just figuring that out, eh?

Zombie Sammael
01-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Just figuring that out, eh?

It's weird, because I've been talking with a British accent for years, but it hasn't noticeably affected my success rate with the ladies.

Figbiscuit
01-09-2012, 10:46 AM
It's weird, because I've been talking with a British accent for years, but it hasn't noticeably affected my success rate with the ladies.

Maybe you should start talking with an American accent, see if it works in reverse?

Khoram
01-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Obviously you're doing it wrong. ;)

I'm very much attracted to women with accents - German, British, Australian, Irish... even French (but France French; not Quebec French). It'd be nice to know more people with those accents. *le sigh*

Sukoto
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
It stands to reason that a British accent wouldn't affect your success rate among British ladies. The spell only works on American women.

Davian93
01-09-2012, 01:26 PM
It stands to reason that a British accent wouldn't affect your success rate among British ladies. The spell only works on American women.

Any accent works on American women...they find it "refined" or some crap like that. This is why Colin Firth, Jude Law and Hugh Grant have been in so many American romantic comedies.

Zombie Sammael
01-09-2012, 01:58 PM

So what you mean is, I need to get further away from Wales? Sound advice.

confused at birth
01-09-2012, 03:18 PM
So what you mean is, I need to get further away from Wales? Sound advice.

why would you need an accent if you are near wales? all the men will be busy with the sheep so you can have your pick.

Of course the reason they are with the sheep is because they look better than the women, just carry around a paper bag

Terez
01-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Any accent works on American women...they find it "refined" or some crap like that. This is why Colin Firth, Jude Law and Hugh Grant have been in so many American romantic comedies.The Twilight movies would have been much better if they'd made Edward English. Part of the bad that is Rob's acting is the fact that he has to stop in the middle of sentences and think about how to pronounce stuff.

confused at birth
01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
The Twilight movies would have been much better if they'd made Edward English.

no they would have been a lot better if bella was in love with Alice much more interesting.

but since they are for girls I will give you an english Edward dating Jasper and replace the original tent scene with Edward getting caught cheating on him with Jacob in the tent.

Crispin's Crispian
01-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Any accent works on American women...they find it "refined" or some crap like that. This is why Colin Firth, Jude Law and Hugh Grant have been in so many American romantic comedies.

To be fair, a lot of guys are suckers for ladies with accents, too. That doesn't explain why so many English actresses have to speak with an American accent (and sound like a 50 year-old cigarette addicted truck driver ) though.

Hmm...

fdsaf3
01-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I'd propose to a woman with an Australian accent if I thought there was a 1% chance we could be happy together. I just love the accent that much.

Khoram
01-09-2012, 04:39 PM
I'd propose to a woman with an Australian accent if I thought there was a 1% chance we could be happy together. I just love the accent that much.

It has got to be my favourite of the accents I listed above, too. There's something... I don't know... different about the Australian accent to others I have come across in my years of travel ;)

I gotta say, Australian wins my vote for all-time Hottest Accent.

Davian93
01-09-2012, 07:27 PM
why would you need an accent if you are near wales? all the men will be busy with the sheep so you can have your pick.

Of course the reason they are with the sheep is because they look better than the women, just carry around a paper bag

As Prince Bertie (the future Edward VII) would have said, All cats are gray in the dark.;)

Tomp
01-10-2012, 09:50 AM
That's what you get for pissing off Peter the Great.

Yeah, but we wooped the russians asses in the world junior championship in hockey the other day.

Hah, take that Ivan. :p

GonzoTheGreat
01-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Hah, take that Ivan. :p
It's Vlad, nowadays. Perhaps not a particularly happy thought, come to think of it.

Yellowbeard
01-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Not all women go for a guy with accents. Come to Atlanta and see how the country boys with those southern twangs do trying to reel in a woman in Buckhead.

Davian93
01-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Not all women go for a guy with accents. Come to Atlanta and see how the country boys with those southern twangs do trying to reel in a woman in Buckhead.

Southern Accent =/= British refined accent.

confused at birth
01-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Southern Accent =/= British refined accent.

What about a refined southern english accent?

This combo seems to work a little to well for my taste