PDA

View Full Version : Books as movies

Tomp
01-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Which books (fantasy or not) would you like to see made into movies?

fdsaf3
01-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Ok, don't shoot me, but The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I think it could work. I've only seen the movie made in the 1950s once, and I don't remember how good it was (I watched it while I was pretty sick). I've always felt like it was the better novel and better story over Atlas Shrugged anyway.

If it were to be updated, they could cut down on the (limited) philosophical mumbojumbo and just have it be about a rogue "dare to be different" architect in a sea of people who only aspire to be similar to everyone else. I can see it working. Basically cut out a lot of the last fifth of the book (which is ironically my favorite part) and have it focus on the relationship between Roark and Keating.

It wouldn't be The Fountainhead, obviously. It would have to be "inspired by" The Fountainhead. Fanboys would be pissed anyway, but those guys suck.

Zombie Sammael
01-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Ok, don't shoot me, but The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I think it could work. I've only seen the movie made in the 1950s once, and I don't remember how good it was (I watched it while I was pretty sick). I've always felt like it was the better novel and better story over Atlas Shrugged anyway.

If it were to be updated, they could cut down on the (limited) philosophical mumbojumbo and just have it be about a rogue "dare to be different" architect in a sea of people who only aspire to be similar to everyone else. I can see it working. Basically cut out a lot of the last fifth of the book (which is ironically my favorite part) and have it focus on the relationship between Roark and Keating.

It wouldn't be The Fountainhead, obviously. It would have to be "inspired by" The Fountainhead. Fanboys would be pissed anyway, but those guys suck.

*shoots fdsaf3*

ETA; At least you acknowledge it's a fantasy story, not something that could ever happen in real life. :p

Tomp
01-06-2012, 12:32 PM
I think "The Belgariad" by Eddings would be a good movie franchise for a younger audience.

Sei'taer
01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Some of the Star Wars books would be cool, like the one where Luke learns his fathers true identity (I won't spoil it for people who haven't read it).

Star Trek would be good too. They could even do one with the alternate reality books that are all the rage right now.

If I had my wish though, it would be something by Tolkien.

confused at birth
01-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Nation would work

it would be something by Tolkien.

which one?

Silmarillion would be great but no way would it work as a film, they would have to cut out half the book

Sei'taer
01-06-2012, 03:15 PM
which one?

The Lord of the Rings trilogy would be awesome! So would The Hobbit They'd be tough to do though, but I think they'd be reasonably good.

confused at birth
01-06-2012, 03:22 PM
The Lord of the Rings trilogy would be awesome! So would The Hobbit They'd be tough to do though, but I think they'd be reasonably good.

no chance! no one will ever make those.:mad:

the Blackhearts books could be made into movies but I dont think anyone else has ever read them

Mort
01-06-2012, 05:13 PM
The Farseer trilogy.

Zombie Sammael
01-06-2012, 05:25 PM
The Farseer trilogy.

That's that trilogy that's what, eleven books long now? ;)

I do agree that the first three would make a great movie series though, but I think the last part does leave things rather unresolved.

Firseal
01-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Villians By Necessity - Eve Forward.
(Probably better as a two or three part miniseries, though.)

City of Bones - Martha Wells.

Death of the Necromancer - Martha Wells.

To Reign In Hell - Steven Brust

Snow Crash - Neil Stephenson.

Just off the top of my head.

Tomp
01-06-2012, 08:04 PM
That's that trilogy that's what, eleven books long now? ;)

I do agree that the first three would make a great movie series though, but I think the last part does leave things rather unresolved.

I thought Douglas Adams "Hitchhikers guide...." claimed to be the longest trilogy (since it's 5 books).

Sei'taer
01-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Villians By Necessity - Eve Forward.
(Probably better as a two or three part miniseries, though.)

City of Bones - Martha Wells.

Death of the Necromancer - Martha Wells.

To Reign In Hell - Steven Brust

Snow Crash - Neil Stephenson.

Just off the top of my head.

Yick!!! Martha Wells.

Firseal
01-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Yick!!! Martha Wells.

Fine. Heretic.

The Ends of the Circle - Paul O. Williams

Eternity Road - Jack McDevitt

Directive 51 - John Barnes

Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle

Enjoy your (post) apocalypse.

Oh, and just for where you are going for impinging on my Wells.

Inferno - Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle.

(As a side note, I always thought The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon would make an awesome animated movie or straight out anime.)

Frenzy
01-07-2012, 02:13 AM
Dresden!!!

And while i'm not a fan of the Malazan books, House of Chains would probably make a pretty good movie.

Zombie Sammael
01-07-2012, 05:18 AM
(As a side note, I always thought The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon would make an awesome animated movie or straight out anime.)

They did a pop-up book. I own it.

Terez
01-07-2012, 05:21 AM
That was the first Stephen King book I couldn't finish. It was about then that I started reading fantasy.

Firseal
01-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Dresden!!!

And while i'm not a fan of the Malazan books, House of Chains would probably make a pretty good movie.

The problem with Dresden, Frenzy, is I've SEEN what they do to him putting him on the screen. It ain't up to my standards.

Sei'taer
01-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Fine. Heretic.

The Ends of the Circle - Paul O. Williams

Eternity Road - Jack McDevitt

Directive 51 - John Barnes

Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle

Enjoy your (post) apocalypse.

Oh, and just for where you are going for impinging on my Wells.

Inferno - Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle.

Anything is better than Wells. On my list of authors, she's the next one after the last author (if you can really call her that), which would be Stephen Donaldson, who I don't like, but at least he's readable...sort of.

AbbeyRoad
01-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Maybe the Dark Tower. Not the last few books, since King writes himself into the story and then provides the worst ending in fantasy history, but the first three would be great. Too bad Clint Eastwood is too old to play Roland.

And, of course, the Legend of Zelda OoT. I always loved that one.

Zombie Sammael
01-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Maybe the Dark Tower. Not the last few books, since King writes himself into the story and then provides the worst ending in fantasy history, but the first three would be great. Too bad Clint Eastwood is too old to play Roland.

He did tell you not to read the ending.

Zombie Sammael
01-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Oh, and since some clever tyke is no doubt about to come along and say, "Hey, Zombie Sammael, do you have anything to contribute to this thread other than much-needed saracasm?":

I'd love to see a film version of "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel" by Susannah Clarke; China Mieville's "Perdido Street Station" would work quite well and might not require an astronomical budget; "The Glass Books Of The Dream Eaters" by GW Dahlquist would be interesting, and has a built in sequel.

There, I contributed. See?

Sei'taer
01-07-2012, 03:46 PM

And, of course, the Legend of Zelda OoT. I always loved that one.

You're going to be incredibly disappointed about how WoT ends.

Gusts plastered Rand al'Thor's cloak to his back, whipped the earth-colored wool around his legs, then streamed it out behind him. He wished his coat were heavier, or that he had worn an extra shirt. Half the time when he tried to tug the cloak back around him it caught on the quiver swinging at his hip. Trying to hold the cloak one-handed did not do much good anyway; he had his bow in the other, an arrow nocked and ready to draw...

ShadowbaneX
01-07-2012, 05:36 PM
I wonder if Guy Gavriel Kay's books could be translated to film...probably not. Books are largely better as books. It's the rare exception that actually does well on the big screen.

Firseal
01-07-2012, 05:41 PM
You're going to be incredibly disappointed about how WoT ends.

... So, Brandon is writing King into the end of WoT?

Now, I like King, but I gotta say, that would be a different slant on the Dark One. Theory time?

Davian93
01-07-2012, 06:49 PM
I wonder if Guy Gavriel Kay's books could be translated to film...probably not. Books are largely better as books. It's the rare exception that actually does well on the big screen.

The Godfather

movie was far better than the books

The Shining is another example of where the movie was superior....same with The Mist (which even King said he liked the movie ending better than his book ending)

That's all I can think of.

Terez
01-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I think The Shining was better as a book.

The Narnia movies...well, the first one anyway, which is the only one I saw...came off well. That size book is perfect for a regular feature film; anything longer, and it's going to suck.

Firseal
01-07-2012, 07:27 PM
The Godfather

movie was far better than the books

The Shining is another example of where the movie was superior....same with The Mist (which even King said he liked the movie ending better than his book ending)

That's all I can think of.

Huh. The ending to the Mist ruined the entire movie for me. It was unmittigated dreck.

Try Jaws or Stir of Echoes for improvement between text and screen.

Davian93
01-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Huh. The ending to the Mist ruined the entire movie for me. It was unmittigated dreck.

Try Jaws or Stir of Echoes for improvement between text and screen.

Really? I thought the movie ending with the gun/bullets was far better than the book version.

Also, @Terez, Nicholson made the movie better than the book...he OWNED that character and took it to another level.

Shawshank Redemption is another example where the movie is far, far superior to the book (or novella in this case)

Zaela Sedai
01-07-2012, 09:02 PM
I just wish they didn't ruin the Percy Jackson series with that first movie. Or I would have said it would be a good film option.

Davian93
01-07-2012, 09:10 PM
I just wish they didn't ruin the Percy Jackson series with that first movie. Or I would have said it would be a good film option.

On a slightly off-topic question...are those books worth a read?

Zaela Sedai
01-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Yeah definitely. I was looking for an easy read series and it was great. But then I love Greek mythology so seeing it incorporated with modern times is fun. The follow up series is starting out well too.

Just don't expect it to be exceptional writing or whatever, I mean to me it's fine but I'm not a snob when it comes to writing. Plus it's YA. And honestly I don't find it akin to Harry potter like many people try to say. Definitely more urban. ( for lack of a better comparison)

I think you'll enjoy it.

Zaela Sedai
01-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Oh and you could watch the movie first, the idea is there if you want to see if you would be interested in the series. However it is NOTHING like the book lol. If I never read the series I would have loved the movie fr what it was, but it so destroyed the plot.

Davian93
01-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I've seen the movie...I vaguely remember liking it.

Zaela Sedai
01-07-2012, 09:32 PM
I've seen the movie...I vaguely remember liking it.

Oh then no question pick up the series. You'll def enjoy it.

Bryan Blaire
01-08-2012, 12:05 AM
I'd like to see one of the Honor Harrington series by David Weber made into a movie, have to be big budget to really make it good though. I'd second Dresden, but it would have to be better than the Sci-Fi attempt. The Alera Codex (also by Butcher) would probably be cool, but would need a huge FX budget as well. Weber's Armageddon Reef series might be a cool basis for a movie or five as well, and probably wouldn't require as big an FX budget, but it would be nice to see it done as well as the Pirates of the Carribean flicks were (budget and costuming wise).

Sinistrum
01-08-2012, 12:26 AM
I'd like to see one of the Honor Harrington series by David Weber made into a movie

This. I think On Basilisk Station would be neat to adapt. I'd also like to see someone take a stab at Dan Simmons Hyperion series.

Rand al'Fain
01-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Personally, I think the Temeraire series would be interesting as movies, if for nothing else but to see how they do the dragons in the Napoleonic Wars.

And I said interesting, not good. There is a difference.

Firseal
01-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Really? I thought the movie ending with the gun/bullets was far better than the book version.

Also, @Terez, Nicholson made the movie better than the book...he OWNED that character and took it to another level.

Shawshank Redemption is another example where the movie is far, far superior to the book (or novella in this case)

To be fair, of the three movies made from the four novellas in Bleak Seasons, the only one that wasn't superb, or an improvement, was Apt Pupil.

And sorry, a movie that ends with an interrupted despair-induced murder/suicide where the suicide doesn't happen but the murders do, and hey, look, irony, it wasn't necessary?
There is no movie, ever, where that is an appropriate or decent ending. It's as close to complete poisoning the well as I can imagine. The extra insults to injury in the ending? Just really bad gravy. It's as bad of filmmaking as the 'killer comes back' or 'monster ain't dead' that talentless horror directors continually seem to think is sinctilating cinema.

Tomp
01-09-2012, 05:25 AM
the only one that wasn't superb, or an improvement, was Apt Pupil.

Strange, I think apt pupil is one of the best movies ever made.

Figbiscuit
01-09-2012, 05:54 AM
The Narnia movies...well, the first one anyway, which is the only one I saw...came off well. That size book is perfect for a regular feature film; anything longer, and it's going to suck.

The first Narnia movie might have been good had they not added in unnecessary scenes for dramatic effect and also messed about with the time line, also for dramatic effect. Pah.

Although I am horribly biased towards the quaint BBC TV adaptations that I grew up with as a kid. The ones which pretty much followed the books word for word.

Terez
01-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Also, @Terez, Nicholson made the movie better than the book...he OWNED that character and took it to another level.I agree that Nicholson was awesome. I just disagree that makes the movie better than the book. Sure, there are always opportunities to do some things better in the film, which Nicholson did, but in this case the book was too big for a feature film, and a lot of the really genius details of the story were cut out. It was one of King's best books, and while Nicholson did it justice, the script didn't really. Net.

The first Narnia movie might have been good had they not added in unnecessary scenes for dramatic effect and also messed about with the time line, also for dramatic effect. Pah.

Although I am horribly biased towards the quaint BBC TV adaptations that I grew up with as a kid. The ones which pretty much followed the books word for word.
I did notice a few changes despite it having been years since I had read the book, but much of it was word-for-word. I guess my main point is that books that size are perfect for film adaptations.

Frenzy
01-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Although I am horribly biased towards the quaint BBC TV adaptations that I grew up with as a kid.
i feel the same way about the radio version of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy