PDA

View Full Version : GOP: No HS diploma, No Unemployment Check

Davian93
01-09-2012, 02:24 PM
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/09/10075106-gop-plan-no-hs-diploma-no-unemployment-check

What an interesting argument by the Right on unemployment benefits. Because, as we all know, all jobs require a HS diploma (or GED).

I sometimes wonder if the GOP realizes that 2012 is a lost cause and they are simply biding their time until 2016. As it stands, they appear completely uninterested in actually winning the Presidency with brilliant ideas like this.

Sukoto
01-09-2012, 02:44 PM
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/09/10075106-gop-plan-no-hs-diploma-no-unemployment-check

What an interesting argument by the Right on unemployment benefits. Because, as we all know, all jobs require a HS diploma (or GED).

I sometimes wonder if the GOP realizes that 2012 is a lost cause and they are simply biding their time until 2016. As it stands, they appear completely uninterested in actually winning the Presidency with brilliant ideas like this.
I don't think they realize it. Some people really are just that delusional.

Davian93
01-09-2012, 02:48 PM
They used to be so rational...what the hell happened to the GOP of George HW Bush or even Nixon? Destroying the moderate/liberal wing of their party was a short-sighted mistake I think.

Terez
01-09-2012, 04:17 PM
They used to be so rational...what the hell happened to the GOP of George HW Bush or even Nixon? Destroying the moderate/liberal wing of their party was a short-sighted mistake I think.They're not destroyed. Just cynical. Ask Sini (whom one might consider a moderate simply because he's not a fundie).

Basel Gill
01-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Unemployment reform? Yes
Based on whether you have a GED or diploma??? Huh?

By the way..."in 50 of the 51 states..." WTF?

Zaela Sedai
01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
How about like... we start with drug tests for those on welfare... you know something like that...

I'm probably considered a raging hippie to the rest of my "party"

Davian93
01-09-2012, 08:24 PM
How about like... we start with drug tests for those on welfare... you know something like that...

I'm probably considered a raging hippie to the rest of my "party"

Why? Its not really worth it as they showed when they did it in Florida and you're then removing welfare benefits from the kids in that household while costing the state more money by creating another bureaucracy. The positive rate in Florida was about 2%...so despite the huge outcry by the Right, most Welfare recipients arent drug addicts. Most of them aren't black/latino either despite Rick Santorum's belief to the contrary.

Besides which, the last thing the children in those homes need is even less access to real food (via the WIC cards).

Also, Florida's program (ostensively set up to save money) ended up costing the state more than it "saved" in denied benefits thanks to all the extra bureaucracy they had to set up for testing, test results, etc etc.

And then it was ruled unconstitutional.

Davian93
01-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Unemployment reform? Yes
Based on whether you have a GED or diploma??? Huh?

By the way..."in 50 of the 51 states..." WTF?

Maybe they're counting the District of Columbia? Its not a state but it has its own Unemployment Commission IIRC.

Terez
01-10-2012, 02:29 AM
Why? Its not really worth it as they showed when they did it in Florida and you're then removing welfare benefits from the kids in that household while costing the state more money by creating another bureaucracy. The positive rate in Florida was about 2%...so despite the huge outcry by the Right, most Welfare recipients arent drug addicts. Most of them aren't black/latino either despite Rick Santorum's belief to the contrary.

Besides which, the last thing the children in those homes need is even less access to real food (via the WIC cards).

Also, Florida's program (ostensively set up to save money) ended up costing the state more than it "saved" in denied benefits thanks to all the extra bureaucracy they had to set up for testing, test results, etc etc.

And then it was ruled unconstitutional.On top of all that, it's just another way to discriminate against marijuana users, as if alcohol isn't demonstrably more dangerous.

GonzoTheGreat
01-10-2012, 04:18 AM
Even better: mandatory daily drug tests for those who do have jobs.
After all, the jobless can afford to space out, it's their own time after all. Those with jobs would be tripping on the boss's time, which should be a big no-no.

Naturally, this shouldn't threaten the recovery, so the workers, not the companies, will have to pay for those tests.

Only thing I haven't worked out yet is which GOP hopeful should propose this. Santorum, Perry, Huntsman? I dunno. Does anyone here have any suggestions for who we should notify about this brilliant idea?

ShadowbaneX
01-10-2012, 12:46 PM
They used to be so rational...what the hell happened to the GOP of George HW Bush or even Nixon? Destroying the moderate/liberal wing of their party was a short-sighted mistake I think.
I'll just leave this here (http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7963/barrygoldwater.jpg).