PDA

View Full Version : Why we love hockey.

Sei'taer
01-10-2012, 09:30 AM
At least, this is why I love hockey. I like the violence, the speed, the fights. Hockey is here for us to watch guys beat the hell out of each other in various and sundry ways. This may be the best hockey movie ever made.

Goon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWYhkViWj98)

Frenzy
01-10-2012, 09:37 AM
The last line in that trailer is hilarious :p

The last few hockey fights i saw live looked more like staged fanservice than actual fights. The two players were literally holding each other up by the jersey, sending little love jabs at the crook of the neck instead of trying to, you know, knock the other guy out. Then again, that was a preseason game, so maybe they weren't really trying.

Khoram
01-10-2012, 09:37 AM
It's close enough. ;)

It's pretty much what farm hockey is up here. :D

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-10-2012, 09:42 AM
niiiiice

Bob Probert would be proud :p

Khoram
01-10-2012, 09:42 AM
The last line in that trailer is hilarious :p

The last few hockey fights i saw live looked more like staged fanservice than actual fights. The two players were literally holding each other up by the jersey, sending little love jabs at the crook of the neck instead of trying to, you know, knock the other guy out. Then again, that was a preseason game, so maybe they weren't really trying.

Fights in the NHL aren't what they used to be. There's not really any spontaneity anymore - now they have to ask each other whether they want to fight or not, and nobody really wants to get hit or really pummel the other guy - it's not like the Broadstreet Bullies. Hockey fights aren't hockey fights, really - they're more like WWE - glorified wrestling matches, except these are on ice.

Now, Junior level (mostly A and up) have brawls. Bench-clearing brawls, too.

I've had games where sticks are flying at heads, and the refs get attacked, too (it's even happened to me).

Needless to say, the NHL needs to go back to the basics - forget the unwritten rules of the hockey fighter.

Tomp
01-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Just wanted to mention that our junior team won the world junior championship the other day. :D

Khoram
01-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Just wanted to mention that our junior team won the world junior championship the other day. :D

Don't forget, though, that that's only the Juniors - it isn't the Olympics. Which, by the way, Canada won. All is right and good in the world when Canada wins the Olympic gold medal in hockey, seeing as ice hockey was pretty much invented in Canada... We can do no wrong, it seems. :D

Davian93
01-10-2012, 10:15 AM
niiiiice

Bob Probert would be proud :p

Go to Youtube and watch that Bob Probert/Tie Domi fight. I've never seen a guy take as much punishment as Tie Domi did in a fight. Probert just destroyed him and Domi just kept taking it for a good 2 minutes.

Granted, all those fights probably contributed significantly to Probert's untimely death but it was a hell of a fight.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-10-2012, 10:42 AM
imo drugs and alcohol played a big, if not bigger, part. It can be argued it was one huge viscious circle for him.

skill on the ice can be amazing, but I admit I like the fighting.

a brief glimpse in this clip showed palyers on the bench and one has the name Ogilvy on his sweater. I am curious if this is just an homage to Slap Shot or if there is actual plot involving him/them/it. hehehe

Khoram
01-10-2012, 10:44 AM
a brief glimpse in this clip showed palyers on the bench and one has the name Ogilvy on his sweater. I am curious if this is just an homage to Slap Shot or if there is actual plot involving him/them/it. hehehe

With a name like "Goons", there can't be THAT much plot incorporated into the script/movie.

ShadowbaneX
01-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Andrei Makarov was amazing in that gold medal game, but I'm so happy that Zibanejad got the overtime winner. I cannot wait to see what he does in the coming years for my Sens. =D

Khoram
01-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Andrei Makarov was amazing in that gold medal game, but I'm so happy that Zibanejad got the overtime winner. I cannot wait to see what he does in the coming years for my Sens. =D

Gallagher and Huberdeau did really well, too. Looking forward to their future careers. :)

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-10-2012, 11:49 AM
With a name like "Goons", there can't be THAT much plot incorporated into the script/movie.

oh ye of little faith :rolleyes:

Khoram
01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
oh ye of little faith :rolleyes:

True. I could be horribly wrong. To which I will admit, once I see the movie. ;)

Sei'taer
01-10-2012, 12:18 PM
y'know, I never thought Pronger got the recognition as a fighter that he deserved. The guy was huge (I think he was 6'6" IIRC) and was always in awesome shape.

I always thought Domi, Prust, Avery and Probert were the toughest guys I ever saw play. Boogaard was also another guy that never really got credit for being as tough as he was. In reality, Domi ought to get more credit than any of them, because I think he was the smallest of the group.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Joey Kocur. Hardest punch in hockey. Stood in line behind me at a local pie shop around Thanksgiving early in his career (with the Wings). His hands were black and blue and scraped up beyond words.

I would've married him :D

Davian93
01-10-2012, 12:39 PM
y'know, I never thought Pronger got the recognition as a fighter that he deserved. The guy was huge (I think he was 6'6" IIRC) and was always in awesome shape.

I always thought Domi, Prust, Avery and Probert were the toughest guys I ever saw play. Boogaard was also another guy that never really got credit for being as tough as he was. In reality, Domi ought to get more credit than any of them, because I think he was the smallest of the group.

Go read this NY Times piece on Boogaard...probably one of the more depressing things you'll ever read.

Punched Out: The Life and Death of a Hockey Enforcer (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sports/hockey/derek-boogaard-a-boy-learns-to-brawl.html?pagewanted=all)

Sukoto
01-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Go read this NY Times piece on Boogaard...probably one of the more depressing things you'll ever read.

Punched Out: The Life and Death of a Hockey Enforcer (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sports/hockey/derek-boogaard-a-boy-learns-to-brawl.html?pagewanted=all)
Yeah, I read that piece. What I thought was most depressing is that Boogaard had absolutely no plans besides Hockey from a very young age.

ShadowbaneX
01-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Gallagher and Huberdeau did really well, too. Looking forward to their future careers. :)

Also looking forward to seeing Stone, he also did really well as a sniper, but we'll see if that can translate to the NHL game. I hope he's not another Corey Locke...leading goal scorer in the AHL, but too slow for the NHL.

As for tough guys, Avery isn't tough, he's a pest, and sometimes goes over the edge in that. I'll agree with the others though. Seeing Marty McSorley as a talking head on the intermission reports, man you see how huge he actually is.

Then again, on the other side of the enforcer coin these days you get Brian Burke's little rant the other week from the press conference for announcing Colton Orr being waived...cry me a river Brian.

For other current tough guys, the Sens actually have some grit, which is nice to see. Obviously Kenopka is leading the NHL in PIM right now, most of them Fighting Majors. Carkner is also solid, but Neil doesn't get enough credit. Not the biggest fighter in the league, but possibly one of the ones with the most guts. I think he'd drop the gloves with any one.

Davian93
01-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Seeing Marty McSorley as a talking head on the intermission reports, man you see how huge he actually is.

During the broadcasts, does he still have Wayne Gretzky attached to his hip?

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-10-2012, 02:37 PM
For other current tough guys, the Sens actually have some grit

Agree about Avery.

The Sens look good this year, but you have a tough division and keeping up with the Bs will continue to be a struggle. I don't get a ton of the Eastern Conf games unless they are on HNIC, but Zach Smith impresses me every time I watch. Young, so he could either putz out or really develop for you guys, but I will keep an eye on that one for my FHL next year :) Your goalie needs to keep up his play and you have a shot this year.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-10-2012, 02:38 PM
and how 'bout Barnaby getting busted for the DUI. Goes back to the idea that the Goons tend to have substance abuse issues they cannot kick.

Khoram
01-10-2012, 02:46 PM
There would be a lot of happy fans if Avery got kicked out of the NHL, myself included. There are guys who I despise, like Marchand and Lucic (hmm, there's a common denominator here...), but Avery has to be my absolute least favourite player in the NHL - I hate him more than Komisarek, Grabovski, Thornton (Shawn), etc.

Cor Shan
01-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Its bull that Lucic doesnt have a 10g suspension.

Khoram
01-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Its bull that Lucic doesnt have a 10g suspension.

It's bull that only now Boston gets a suspension.

Sei'taer
01-10-2012, 03:23 PM
and how 'bout Barnaby getting busted for the DUI. Goes back to the idea that the Goons tend to have substance abuse issues they cannot kick.

I think the problem is that some of them don't embrace it like a boxer or an MMA fighter does. Boogaard was one who wanted to play hockey, not be an enforcer.

Then you have the other variable of multiple head injuries that a lot of people get from playing contact sports. It seems to be worst among boxers and hockey players, although less so now that helmets are mandatory in hockey. I think I remember reading somewhere that a guy who does the xgames motorcycle trick riding was diagnosed with it this year after his 7th major concussion. It was called pugilistic dementia or something really damn close to that.

And then, the third variable is the lifestyle. Lots of NFL and MLB players as well as other sports stars have problems with it because it is so available to them. They get hurt, get on pain meds and then can't get off of them and start looking for stronger stuff, to either fight the pain so they can keep playing or so they don't feel the pain when they play.

It's a vicious cycle that I can see would be really hard to break.

Davian93
01-10-2012, 03:26 PM
although less so now that helmets are mandatory in hockey.

Sydney Crosby and Chris Pronger would call you...if they could remember the number and their own names.

Concussions are also really really bad in the NFL though it is glossed over quite a bit. The life expectancy of an NFL veteran is around 55 years IIRC. And many of them deal with severe forms of dementia even before that.

ShadowbaneX
01-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Agree about Avery.

The Sens look good this year, but you have a tough division and keeping up with the Bs will continue to be a struggle. I don't get a ton of the Eastern Conf games unless they are on HNIC, but Zach Smith impresses me every time I watch. Young, so he could either putz out or really develop for you guys, but I will keep an eye on that one for my FHL next year :) Your goalie needs to keep up his play and you have a shot this year.

Avery...I understand the pest factor. I mean we've got Neil who's been annoying the ever loving hell out of teams since he's come in to the league. We have Jarko Ruutu who was more annoying, but rarely dropped the gloves. I know the pest factor can be good, but there's a line and Avery frequently goes over it.

As for the Sens, thanks! This was supposed to be a bad year for us, but against all odds, everything that needed to happen for us to compete has. Pretty much the entire team has been doing what they need to do from Alfie & Spezza down to Smith & Kenopka. Smith has been solid this year, it's amazing how things have come together. I think a good portion of it has to do with our new coach. He's got them in such good shape, both physically and mentally that it doesn't matter what the score is, they're still playing...just take a look at the last game vs the Flyers. Down 4-2 in the 3rd and they still battle back. Smith is a big part of that as he's got 3 game winning goals this year.

Speaking of Fantasy leagues, I've got one word when it comes to the Sens: Karlsson. 0.o Well, there's a few others, Michalek, Spezza, Alfie, etc, but those are the top end. Smith will be promising, Zinbanejad is another. Turris also is looking good. Regin if he can get healthy, Condra, Greening...dear god, the entire roster is playing so awesome. I'm so excited for the future of this team!

Boston is big & nasty, sorta the way that the Ducks were back in 06/07 when Ottawa was in the Cup. I like them by & large (especially Kelly, man I miss him), but like that Lucic hit on Miller and Marchand...occasionally they go over the line.

Sei'taer
01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Sydney Crosby and Chris Pronger would call you...if they could remember the number and their own names.

Concussions are also really really bad in the NFL though it is glossed over quite a bit. The life expectancy of an NFL veteran is around 55 years IIRC. And many of them deal with severe forms of dementia even before that.

Yup, I've heard that LT (taylor, not tomlinson) has problems with it. Although, that could be from the years of cocaine abuse, I suppose.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Sydney Crosby

Crosby plays (or did) with his head down, like most elite players do when they are young. He was used to being untouchable and when he hit the big show--well, not so much. I am not saying he deserved hits, but he isn't playing NHL hockey, he is playing the Bettman game...look at me, I am fabulous. I also wonder how long he had symptoms and the docs (or maybe even Crosby) wouldn't admit it. Sucessive concussions cause more problems, and I honestly think he went untreated too long.

Pronger, not a fan. He is a big guy and he was a bit of a klutz on his feet, which again doesn't align well with guys coming at you 900 million miles an hour. Decent stick handling mixed with clumsy skating never bodes well = you have the puck you are a target to get hit.

Davian93
01-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Crosby should just retire...he's risking his life at this point.

The best hit ever was Scott Stevens demolishing Eric Lindros in the EC Finals back in 2000. Eric's head is still ringing from that hit. Lindros was another guy that skated with his head down a lot...big mistake...HUGE.

ShadowbaneX
01-10-2012, 03:44 PM
There's something sad though about Crosby, with Lindros and to an extent Bobby Orr before him. They were amazing players and their retiring early hurt the game. Just imagine if Orr had gotten to play an extra 10 seasons, what could he have accomplished?

Crosbey? I've got mixed feelings. Yeah, he is an amazing player, but there was obviously a little too much favourtism sent his way from Bettman. Ah, well, just have to play on and see what happens.

Davian93
01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
I absolutely despise Crosby but on some level, the game loses a bit with him out.

Cor Shan
01-10-2012, 05:08 PM
If you want awesome hits from a player still playing, look no further than Raffi Torres - The Human Bowling Ball.

Khoram
01-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I absolutely despise Crosby but on some level, the game loses a bit with him out.

This. All of it.

I've never liked Crosby one bit, and his scoring the winning goal in the Olympics didn't change my dislike for him. Sure, he's a great player, but he's also a crybaby. Any small thing that happens to him, he complains about. Unless he's on the ice suffering from a blindside hit. This aspect of him is in concordance with the Next One nickname - Gretzky would act the same way that Crosby does - it probably has to do with their thinking extremely highly of themselves.

Although, I wouldn't mind making the money Crosby's making, but I digress. :rolleyes:

Khoram
01-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Well, looks like we lost again. I'm happy for Halak and his shutout - I just wish it wasn't against us. XD

The playoffs look further and further away as time goes by... :(

Dajoran
01-11-2012, 04:27 AM
My favorite season of the NHL was the 04/05 season.

I know it was the year of the lockout but hear me out!

Over here in Ireland and the UK we have a league called the EIHL - mostly our import players come from the ECHL and the AHL - when the lockout season rolled round we were getting players like Belak and Eric Cairns from the NHL. Good times. Good hockey.

The next year proved slightly more eventful for the Belfast Giants however - The Year of Theo Fleury.

Davian93
01-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Gretzky would act the same way that Crosby does - it probably has to do with their thinking extremely highly of themselves.

Whoa...slow down chief. Gretzky never really did that kind of whining. Also, he was 1 million times the player that Crosby is.

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Whoa...slow down chief. Gretzky never really did that kind of whining. Also, he was 1 million times the player that Crosby is.

Gretz was protected by his team a bit more. I think Crosby isn't well liked by his own guys. That is an entirely fluff guess from watching them, but something sure seems "off" on that team at times.

I was hoping, though I am not a huge fan of the setup, the realignment would get passed. Not perfect, but an improvement imo. The players association seems to be being pretty pissy about it in their comments after the non-ratification. Hopefully the collective bargaining (current ends Sept 15) won't mean next season will be delayed/off again, but this seems to be the first bit of grouchiness to start the war. :mad:

Davian93
01-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Gretz also kept his head up, had a supernatural ability to know his surroundings and could roll off a check better than anyone. Crosby simply doesnt have that level of situational awareness on the ice and he gets pummeled for it. Also, Gretz was never 1/10th as arrogant as Crosby was.

Khoram
01-11-2012, 09:49 AM

Kerry Fraser wrote in his book that Gretzky would also complain, like Crosby. He also said, however, that all players complain (obviously) and the younger guys have to go through growing pains when they first enter the NHL (even Gretzky, although he pretty much entered the league "fully formed").

Needless to say, Gretzky too complained a lot, and this is just what I'm assuming, based on my experience as a fan and an official, but most of the really good players, including Gretzky, no matter their maturity (an Gretzky was quite mature for his years wen entering the NHL) complain a lot. Fraser just happened to make mention of it.

On another note, anybody ever been threatened by somebody twice your age for a penalty you gave them at the end of a game?

Sei'taer
01-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Gretz also kept his head up, had a supernatural ability to know his surroundings and could roll off a check better than anyone. Crosby simply doesnt have that level of situational awareness on the ice and he gets pummeled for it. Also, Gretz was never 1/10th as arrogant as Crosby was.

I'm not a fan of Crosby either.

I hate the Capitals, but I think Ovechkin gets the win on spatial awareness in the rink. He's also not a pussy. He'll dish it out and take it just the same, and at 6'3" and 230lbs he can dish out a lot. It took me a long time to realize how good he actually was. It was after seeing him one touch the puck over and over again that I realized he was really good with a stick and he just seems to feel where everyone else was in comparison to him. Anyway, he may be a total shit, but I like his play.

Khoram
01-11-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm not a fan of Crosby either.

I hate the Capitals, but I think Ovechkin gets the win on spatial awareness in the rink. He's also not a pussy. He'll dish it out and take it just the same, and at 6'3" and 230lbs he can dish out a lot. It took me a long time to realize how good he actually was. It was after seeing him one touch the puck over and over again that I realized he was really good with a stick and he just seems to feel where everyone else was in comparison to him. Anyway, he may be a total shit, but I like his play.

I've never liked Ovechkin, either, but I can appreciate his ability. Sometimes. Other times, he gets annoying.

Crosby's always annoying, no matter what or when.

Davian93
01-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Ovechkin reminds me of a young Jaromir Jagr...albeit not quite as good as Jagr was.

Khoram
01-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Ovechkin reminds me of a young Jaromir Jagr...albeit not quite as good as Jagr was.

No, but he's just paid more. :rolleyes:

Khoram
01-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Okay, I've just gotta say this:

Why the HELL did Gauthier trade Cammalleri? What the hell was he thinking!? I mean, sure Cammalleri hasn't been producing, and he may have said stuff about the team (including himself) that wasn't the best - saying that they (himself included) were playing like losers, and the like.

I am soo incensed right now. Steam is blowing out of my ears. If Molson doesn't fire Gauthier soon, there're going to be riots in Montreal, and they'll be far worse than those in Vancouver or the last ones in Montreal a few of years ago.

EDIT: Okay, so I may have overreacted. I've calmed down a bit, and I've watched L'Antichambre and te interviews with Cunneyworth and Gauthier, and this trade is starting to make more sense. Here's the info:

Canadiens acquire forwards Rene Bourque, Patrick Holland (prospect) and a 2nd pick in 2013 for Michael Cammalleri, Karri Ramo and a 5th pick in 2012.

So it's starting to make more sense to me. I still didn't want to see Cammalleri go, though.