PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown of the metric system

Tomp
01-13-2012, 02:52 PM
I just thought I should give you guys a simple breakdown of the metric system and then you'll see how much better it is than your imperial system.

Ok let's start.

The meter.

1 meter is the distance from the north pole to the equator divided by 10 000 000. This was considered a suitable length.

It was the divided by 10, 100, 1000 and so on.
1 millimeter is 1/1000 meter
1 centimeter is 1/100 meter
1 decimeter is 1/10 meter

and multiplied by 1000 for the kilometer.

Volume

With these different lengths, the most practical to have as a standard is something that can be related and practical to humans.
The cubic meter was to big so instead we use a cubic decimeter and call that 1 liter, as a standard.

The gram, kilogram and the ton

To have a suitable "weight term". They went back to the basics of our world.
If you have the standard volume of 1 liter and fill that with a standard fluid (water) then you have something to work with. So 1 liter (cubic decimeter) of water have the weight of 1 kilogram. This also means that 1 gram is the weight of 1 cubic centimeter of water. Finally the weight of 1 cubic meter of water is called 1 ton.

The celsius scale

This is not really part of the metric system, but it will have to tag along here anyway.
Again it is based on our world and on water. It was decided that 0C was the freezing point of water at standard atmospheric pressure and 100C was the boiling point of water at standard atmospheric pressure.

When it is set up like this it is very easy to convert information from one type to another and to scale up and down.

Example: Sometimes we get information about the weather. They say on the tv that it will rain and the amount is 7 millimeters.
It can be difficult to understand how much water that represents. But you could describe it in this sense.
Imagine 1 square meter (1X1 meter) on the ground. Then pour 7 liters of water in this square. That is how much water that will rain on that 1 square meter surface.

In this sense it is much more practical than the imperial system.

By the way, what does 0F represent? I could never find that information.

I know many you don't give a crap about this.
I was just wondering why the US didn't give up the imperial system since they kicked the rest of the british empire out.

Basel Gill
01-13-2012, 03:12 PM
There's a good deal of history attached to the old measurements, but the main reason is, I believe, that we're lazy. :D

confused at birth
01-13-2012, 03:20 PM
By the way, what does 0F represent? I could never find that information.

its the temp of equal parts of Ice, water and salt mixed up, a basic refrigeration class will explain this if you really need to know.

have fun

GonzoTheGreat
01-13-2012, 03:25 PM
I was just wondering why the US didn't give up the imperial system since they kicked the rest of the british empire out.
Ah, I can vaguely remember being that young too, when I still believed there was a rational reason. I'll clue you in: it has nothing to do with reason. They use the system that they use because that's the system they are (sort of) used to.

But to put your mind at ease: they too have a connection between volume and mass. When measuring mass, you use an ounce. And when measuring volume (of fluids) you use a fluid ounce, which, of course, may be the same as the mass ounce, if you manage to find precisely the right* fluid.

* I didn't try this at home. Nor anywhere else. I'm not a subject of Elizabeth II, after all.

Zaela Sedai
01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
No one tells us what to do.... Especially if it is difficult and costs lots of taxpayer dollars :D

Davian93
01-13-2012, 06:45 PM
No one tells us what to do.... Especially if it is difficult and costs lots of taxpayer dollars :D

Damn right...especially not some shady foreigners.

1 meter is the distance from the north pole to the equator divided by 10 000. This was considered a suitable length.

Translated into American.

The distance between the North Pole and the equator is 497,097 chains or 49,710 furlongs.

With these different lengths, the most practical to have as a standard is something that can be related and practical to humans.

I simply dont get the confusion...everyone knows that there are 2 gills to a cup, 2 cups to a pint, 2 pints to a quart, 4 quarts to a gallon, 31.5 gallons to a barrel and 2 barrels to a hogshead.

Sei'taer
01-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Damn right...especially not some shady foreigners.

Translated into American.

The distance between the North Pole and the equator is 497,097 chains or 49,710 furlongs.

I simply dont get the confusion...everyone knows that there are 2 gills to a cup, 2 cups to a pint, 2 pints to a quart, 4 quarts to a gallon, 31.5 gallons to a barrel and 2 barrels to a hogshead.

When time goes to the metric system, I guess the US will change...naw, prolly not.

Res_Ipsa
01-13-2012, 10:49 PM

And one fifth to a nasty hangover.

Frenzy
01-13-2012, 11:54 PM
A few things...

1) Don't y'all drink your booze by drams and pints?

2) our currency is metric.

3) We cling to it to point out how pointless, arbitrary, and silly our colonial ancestors all used to be. i'm sure there's a religious joke in there somewhere...

yks 6nnetu hing
01-14-2012, 02:13 AM
A few things...

1) Don't y'all drink your booze by drams and pints?

2) our currency is metric.

3) We cling to it to point out how pointless, arbitrary, and silly our colonial ancestors all used to be. i'm sure there's a religious joke in there somewhere...

To answer a few

1) no, you can get 10 mill whiskey, 40 mill vodka and 300 (west of Germany europe) or 500 (east of Germany) millilitres of beer, also known as 0,3 and 0,5 litres. There's also the phenomenon of one metre of beer, which is as many glasses of 0,5 litre beer as fit on a ruler of one metre. Also used for tequila shots, although those are almost never 0,5 litres

2) um, no, your currency is decimal. So's the metric system, but that dosn't make the currency metric.

3) tell me when you think of one?

Cor Shan
01-14-2012, 02:37 AM
Try living in Canada. I live 2 miles from the store, I drive there at 60 kph, it's -2 and just stared snowing, my body has a temperature of 96 degrees, I'm 6 feet tall and 75 kilograms.

A pint is variously 12, 16, 20 oz or 500mL. Hard Alcohol comes in a 26, which is 750 mL.

etc.

Zaela Sedai
01-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Try living in Canada. I live 2 miles from the store, I drive there at 60 kph, it's -2 and just stared snowing, my body has a temperature of 96 degrees, I'm 6 feet tall and 75 kilograms.

A pint is variously 12, 16, 20 oz or 500mL. Hard Alcohol comes in a 26, which is 750 mL.

etc.

That's what you get for trying to be cool up there. You kept the the British and kicked the Imperial system...maybe you should have gone our route;)

Also. Why the hell would you use commas for currency... DUMB!!!!

Cor Shan
01-15-2012, 12:24 AM
That's what you get for trying to be cool up there. You kept the the British and kicked the Imperial system...maybe you should have gone our route;)

Also. Why the hell would you use commas for currency... DUMB!!!!

Where?
We write it like:
$1,295.95

Europeans write things weirdly:
$1.295,95

confused at birth
01-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Europeans write things weirdly:
$1.295,95

more like

Sukoto
01-15-2012, 01:37 PM
more like
Or in some countries: 1 295,95 .

confused at birth
01-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Or in some countries: 1 295,95 .

really which ones?

I have been in seven euro countries and never seen it done that way, I wonder why they would do it like that

The Unreasoner
01-16-2012, 02:26 AM
I think it's hilarious that some people still think 'if only Americans understood the metric system, they would use it'

I'm sure most Americans on TL can use metric just fine. We use it in all of our science courses and most technical careers already anyway. And it's not like the metric system is so much better that our lives would be significantly better by switching. The amount of effort it would take to switch (which wouldn't even be that much) is not justified by whatever joy we might get from a metric lifestyle.

Basically, we already know metric, but don't give a sh*t

yks 6nnetu hing
01-16-2012, 02:46 AM
the one thing that drives me nuts is the order for presenting dates. the logical way would be in order of size: 2012 01 16 or 16 01 2012 - from biggest to smallest or smallest to biggest, year being bigger than a month, month bigger than a day. I dont'care about 01 or 1 for 1st month or day of the month, and I don't much care about whether . or , is used or about whether the year is written out fully or just the 2 last numbers, but I very much care about the proper logical order in which the year, month and day are given

but noooooo....

which is why I insist on writing out the month in actual alphabet and telling my computer to do it too.

Zombie Sammael
01-16-2012, 04:11 AM
The correct way to present the date is 16/01/2012, i.e. 16th January 2012. Anything else is nonsense.

GonzoTheGreat
01-16-2012, 04:17 AM
the one thing that drives me nuts is the order for presenting dates. the logical way would be in order of size: 2012 01 16 or 16 01 2012 - from biggest to smallest or smallest to biggest, year being bigger than a month, month bigger than a day. I dont'care about 01 or 1 for 1st month or day of the month, and I don't much care about whether . or , is used or about whether the year is written out fully or just the 2 last numbers, but I very much care about the proper logical order in which the year, month and day are given

Just imagine how much fun that was for programmers working on the Y2k problem. You have a couple of variables with names like A1, A2 and D4 (cause A3 had already been used for something else, apparently), and then you have to figure out which is which.

really which ones?

I have been in seven euro countries and never seen it done that way, I wonder why they would do it like that
It makes a lot more sense when pronouncing it.

Americans write $7, but they say it as "seven dollar", not as "dollar seven". I think, at least. Never been in America, so this is based on movies and such, which may not always be reliable.

Zombie Sammael
01-16-2012, 04:25 AM
It makes a lot more sense when pronouncing it.

Americans write $7, but they say it as "seven dollar", not as "dollar seven". I think, at least. Never been in America, so this is based on movies and such, which may not always be reliable.

Yes, but there are differences between written language and spoken language. In this case, the placement of the "$" or "" sign at the start of the denomination of currency immediately clues in the reader to the fact that they are reading a sum of money. In spoken language, this isn't such an issue, as it'll often be clear from context even if the speaker doesn't say the name of the currency, but this isn't always the case in writing. Writing it the other way round leaves the reader wondering what the figure that she's reading is until she gets to the very end, at which point she has to go back and read the sum again, knowing it's cash. For example:

7 tonnes costs 4784.

Is far clearer than:

7 tonnes costs 4784.

The effect becomes more pronounced as larger and more complex figures are employed.

Tomp
01-16-2012, 04:34 AM
Wow, I didn't expect this.
I just wanted to point out the origins of the system and to point out how you could transfer from one type of measurement to another without a lot of fuss.

Also about the money thing.
We who haven't changed to the write our currency after the number.
Ex 15kr or 15:-
and we often use decimals with prices, as do most of you, I think.

GonzoTheGreat
01-16-2012, 05:07 AM
Nobody expects the Spanish Euro.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-16-2012, 05:09 AM
Nobody expects the Spanish Euro.

you mean the Greek Euro: it exists only to torture others of the same denomination, and possibly burn those in the vicinity not of the same denomination.

The Unreasoner
01-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Not dollars?

Davian93
01-16-2012, 01:01 PM
you mean the Greek Euro: it exists only to torture others of the same denomination, and possibly burn those in the vicinity not of the same denomination.

Surprise Greek is never a good thing.

Gilshalos Sedai
01-16-2012, 01:51 PM
I just wanted to point out the origins of the system and to point out how you could transfer from one type of measurement to another without a lot of fuss.

Wow. Superior much?

Who the hell cares what measurements we use? It's friggen arbitrary designations and divisions anyway.

Like someone else said, we know the metric system. I was taught it alongside the English system. I just don't CARE.

confused at birth
01-16-2012, 02:19 PM
The correct way to present the date is 16/01/2012, i.e. 16th January 2012. Anything else is nonsense.

Yes but they dont get that. I refuse to use any other way and everyone knows what I said so I dont know why they just cant do things correctly

Who the hell cares what measurements we use? It's friggen arbitrary designations and divisions anyway.

anyone in machining or engineering, we have to go from fractions to decimal on the same piece.:mad:

In america you are going from feet and inches through 16 to 64 of an inch for anything over a foot to thousandths of an inch on a vernier scale for anything that has to be precision made is a pain in the arse.

we know the metric system. I was taught it alongside the English system.

No you may know it but there is no WE part to this most americans have no clue how to use it and dont understand it when it is explained to them. they are so used to inches that a cm measurement will leave them staring at the piece to scared to admit that they cannot use a system that works on tens.

After maybe six classes doing nothing but convert between the two they start to pick it up well enough to use and then the first thing they ask is why isnt the standard system for the country metric.

Sei'taer
01-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Yes but they dont get that I refuse to use any other way and everyone knows what I said so I dont know why they just cant do things correctly

anyone in machining or engineering, we have to go from fractions to decimal on the same piece.:mad:

In america you are going from feet and inches through 16 to 64 of an inch for anything over a foot to thousandths of an inch on a vernier scale for anything that has to be precision made is a pain in the arse.

No you may know it but there is no WE part to this most americans have no clue how to use it and dont understand it when it is explained to them. they are so used to inches that a cm measurement will leave them staring at the piece to scared to admit that they cannot use a system that works on tens.

After maybe six classes doing nothing but convert between the two they start to pick it up well enough to use and then the first thing they ask is why isnt the standard system for the country metric.

People like me who did land surveying (or cadastral, if you want to get technical) for years and people who are in business that use the metric system, seem more comfortable with it. linear measurment is pretty simple if you have an engineers rule or a chain that shows tenths on one side and cm or inches on the other. I always hated laying somthing out in inches and then getting the request to go back and change it metric. Why can't you change it yourself? You know the same thing I do. Mostly that only happened on state jobs because they were exclusively on the metric system for about 5 years. Most of the time, we just laid it out in tenths and let the contractor figure it out. Some of them are dumbshits though.

I always thought it was funny that people would bitch about us needing to go to the metric system, but nobody could change surveying from tenths. That and when you turn angles, there's no way to make that work out in the metric system either.

Zaela Sedai
01-16-2012, 09:24 PM

No, absolutely not.

What is the date?
It is January 16th, 2012

That's how you say it, that's how you write it. You guys over there are crazy.

And as for the currency, a "." is an ending, why put it somewhere that isn't the end. A "," is separation. Hence:

$1,(separating numbers for legibility) 500.(ending the "dollar" portion) 00

$1,500.00

confused at birth
01-16-2012, 10:11 PM
No, absolutely not.

yes absolutely yes!

DAY MONTH YEAR

if someone asks you the date you say the day, no one has ever been told its the 5th and thought you meant the month.

if you see 18/04/59 what would you think it meant? is it that hard to understand?

I knew what had happened to the World trade center but when I came here and saw 9/11 on TV I had no idea what they were talking about because I had never seen it like that.

Frenzy
01-16-2012, 10:29 PM
yes absolutely yes!

DAY MONTH YEAR
Day Month Year is standard usage in the US Military, at least amongst my friends who are former military. So are the Europeans like our Military, or vicey versey?

They also use the 24 hour clock. So it's 16 Jan 2012 at 20:29 hours right now.

but i'm sure i'ts five o'clock somewhere...

confused at birth
01-16-2012, 10:39 PM

New Zealand

but I dont think they would have waited so why should you

confused at birth
01-16-2012, 10:49 PM
if you have an engineers rule

a what?

I have heard of an engineer's scale and a architect's scale what is this engineers rule you speak of?

Sei'taer
01-16-2012, 10:56 PM
a what?

I have heard of an engineer's scale and a architect's scale what is this engineers rule you speak of?

uh...usually made by lufkin, a folding engineers rule. A scale is for plans measurement, a rule is for field measurement. You can use it to shoot grade in a pinch, but a level rod is usually the preferred method.

Here's a pic:

http://www.rickly.com/sga/images/REDENDTA.JPG

ETA, architects scales fucking suck.

confused at birth
01-16-2012, 10:59 PM
oooh

Cool I have never heard it called that before and I have one just call it a folding rule

ETA, architects scales fucking suck.

not true they are very good tools for the motivation of lazy students. get one of those applied to your head you work hard not to have it happen again

yks 6nnetu hing
01-17-2012, 02:00 AM
Day Month Year is standard usage in the US Military, at least amongst my friends who are former military. So are the Europeans like our Military, or vicey versey?

They also use the 24 hour clock. So it's 16 Jan 2012 at 20:29 hours right now.

I pretty much only use the 24 h clock, the AM/PM stuff is insane, mostly because I can never remember if 12:00 AM is night or day. Except we never ever say "twelve hundered hours", that's just weird, I'd say "nine-oh-oh" or "thirteen-oh-three". it's illogical anyways to say thirteen hundred hours, seeing as an hour has 60 minutes, *not* a hundred.

Also, Zae, I say: "it's the 17th of January 2012" - see, day, month, year.

also, what's this with -teen/ty hundred when counting? is it really that hard to say two thousand three hundred? You know right away how many thousand you're talking about, instead of having to do mental math and calculate. I mean, you don't say 242317 = "two hundred forty thousand twenty three hundred seventeen", now do you? Clearly, it's two hundred forty two thousand three hundred seventeen. So why would you say umpty-hundred when you really mean a value in the thousands?

Cor Shan
01-17-2012, 02:44 AM
It comes from money, a hundred bucks is still small enough that its either 5 twenties or one $100. At least thats how I use it. (Since a hundred dollars is a more useful unit of money than a grand)

yks 6nnetu hing
01-17-2012, 02:53 AM
It comes from money, a hundred bucks is still small enough that its either 5 twenties or one $100. At least thats how I use it. (Since a hundred dollars is a more useful unit of money than a grand)

but if you've got a hundred, then you say a hundred. When it's a thousand, it's a thousand, not ten hundred.

really. calling it differently will not change the amount, it only changes the "feel" of the amount. an amount of thirteen hundred "feels" less than a thousand three hundred.

hey, maybe that's the reason 'mercans are so neck deep in debt, they all think they've just got a few hundred dollars of debt and actually all the hundreds add up to umpteen billion, and before you know it, the monthly bills are forty-two hundred and the income is two thousand per month and oh sh#t! but look, if we downgrade everyone else and divert attention, no-one will notice!

Gilshalos Sedai
01-17-2012, 09:57 AM
but if you've got a hundred, then you say a hundred. When it's a thousand, it's a thousand, not ten hundred.

really. calling it differently will not change the amount, it only changes the "feel" of the amount. an amount of thirteen hundred "feels" less than a thousand three hundred.

hey, maybe that's the reason 'mercans are so neck deep in debt, they all think they've just got a few hundred dollars of debt and actually all the hundreds add up to umpteen billion, and before you know it, the monthly bills are forty-two hundred and the income is two thousand per month and oh sh#t! but look, if we downgrade everyone else and divert attention, no-one will notice!

Hi, and welcome to Congress.

Dajoran
01-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Pffft arguing over dates! You're all wrong!

The date is read b'ak'tuns, k'atuns, tuns, uinals and days. Today's date is 12.19.19.1.1

See you in 13.0.0.0.0!!

AbbeyRoad
01-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Almost all of our medical measurements use the metric system, and all of the scientists I know use the metric system exclusively. It does make much more intuitive sense.

Davian93
01-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Almost all of our medical measurements use the metric system, and all of the scientists I know use the metric system exclusively. It does make much more intuitive sense.

Exactly. Americans use the metric system where it makes sense and the Imperial system where it makes sense.

We are completely comfortable with using both. I can just as easily navigate using metric measurements as I can Imperial...as the military uses metric exclusively. I think of things in "meters" and "clicks" when I think distance when hiking but I think in miles/feet when I'm driving (unless i'm in Canadia of course). We are proficient at both and thus better than the rest of the world which is only capable of using one set of measurements. Now I'm off to the store to buy a gallon of milk and a 2-liter bottle of soda.

confused at birth
01-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Americans use the metric system where it makes sense and the Imperial system where it makes sense.

stop copying england.

that is basicly what we did in day to day life, things about people and cars were done in imperial and anything that had to exact in metric.

We learnt both from the get go and can bounce between them but I would never use imperial for any kind or manufacturing or scientific purpose. your house are built to imperial over here and I have heard a contractor say that because they only bother to accurate to about half an inch he only expects the houses built to only be safe to live in for around 10-15 before they start falling down

GonzoTheGreat
01-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Almost all of our medical measurements use the metric system, and all of the scientists I know use the metric system exclusively.
Almost all sounds really comforting. And the way in which you suggest that not all doctors would qualify as scientist really strengthens that impression. Well done.

confused at birth
01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
all of the scientists I know use the metric system exclusively.

Science is unamerican so no metric system for america go back to the dark ages already half of you will fit right in

the the rest of you can move to mexico and take their jobs

Zaela Sedai
01-17-2012, 12:30 PM
No one here says "it's the 17th of January"

It's January 17th

Look we eliminated two words, lazy Americans FTW!!

Davian93
01-17-2012, 12:40 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lpAazdH2SuA/TPKko6KdJKI/AAAAAAAAAJ4/_pMIlxouFPo/s1600/dipping-bird.jpg

Its drinking the water!

confused at birth
01-17-2012, 01:09 PM
and then causing a meltdown

Sei'taer
01-17-2012, 04:33 PM
stop copying england.

that is basicly what we did in day to day life, things about people and cars were done in imperial and anything that had to exact in metric.

We learnt both from the get go and can bounce between them but I would never use imperial for any kind or manufacturing or scientific purpose. your house are built to imperial over here and I have heard a contractor say that because they only bother to accurate to about half an inch he only expects the houses built to only be safe to live in for around 10-15 before they start falling down

I'd like to know the name of that contractor because his license should be checked and reviewed and he should be retested. I would have reported him myself the minute he made a dumbfuck statement like that. I'd never allow a quarter of an inch on a structure. That's bullshit.

I worked on bridges long enough to know that you can't accept a tolerance like that. The bridge either won't go together or it will be unsafe to drive on. Same with inspections on drill rigs. There is no tolerance from an inspection standpoint. "Close enough" gets people killed. I carried that over into civil inspection. There are very few things that get tolerances that large. I can only think of a couple of them and neither are anywhere near structural. If a contractor sttod in front of me and told me something like that, I would have lost my shit. It pisses me off just reading about.

confused at birth
01-17-2012, 04:59 PM
I didnt work for him or want to so I never asked his name but I guess his work passed inspection so he may have been joking but he sounded serious conferences are boring so he was probably joking to get through the mind numbing boredom. I have seen enough houses around here that make me think that is a fairly common attitude and did eletrical work on some that shows that some do think that way.

When I as taking some construction classes they said to try and be accurate to an 8th of an inch with anything structural if you could but never be 1/4 out.

You would be pretty pissed if your saw my dads house then, just finished when he moved in and the upstairs is crap, floors creak and there is gaps where the building settled and moved. Have had to help cut out the plaster around the bath because it sank and pulled all the caulking off the wall. he would have had rot pretty fast if we hadnt fixed it

My work is never off and is always better than code when I have a choice.

Ishara
01-20-2012, 07:54 AM
I'd like to know the name of that contractor because his license should be checked and reviewed and he should be retested. I would have reported him myself the minute he made a dumbfuck statement like that. I'd never allow a quarter of an inch on a structure. That's bullshit.

I worked on bridges long enough to know that you can't accept a tolerance like that. The bridge either won't go together or it will be unsafe to drive on. Same with inspections on drill rigs. There is no tolerance from an inspection standpoint. "Close enough" gets people killed. I carried that over into civil inspection. There are very few things that get tolerances that large. I can only think of a couple of them and neither are anywhere near structural. If a contractor sttod in front of me and told me something like that, I would have lost my shit. It pisses me off just reading about.

Oh, Taer. I love it when you get worked up. LOL

yks 6nnetu hing
01-20-2012, 08:31 AM
No one here says "it's the 17th of January"

It's January 17th

Look we eliminated two words, lazy Americans FTW!!

eh, that's because English is a f*ed up language. In Estonian you'd say 20th January, same in Dutch, French and Russian. In other words, all lanugages I know how to say the date except of English.

GonzoTheGreat
01-20-2012, 08:46 AM
eh, that's because English is a f*ed up language. In Estonian you'd say 20th January, same in Dutch, French and Russian. In other words, all lanugages I know how to say the date except of English.
The English don't know how to say the date, so they improvise.

Zombie Sammael
01-20-2012, 09:00 AM
The English don't know how to say the date, so they improvise.

I think you'll find the English do. It's Friday, 20th January in the UK. It's only in America that it is or shortly will be Friday, January 20th.

GonzoTheGreat
01-20-2012, 09:02 AM
I think you'll find the English do. It's Friday, 20th January in the UK. It's only in America that it is or shortly will be Friday, January 20th.
Ah, so now we've found the real reason behind the War of Independence. It wasn't about tea after all. That always did seem a bit silly to me, anyway.

Sei'taer
01-20-2012, 09:11 AM

So when someone asks you the date, you say 20th January? Or 20th of january? That just sounds so weird to say it that way. It's january 20th or january the 20th. I was born on february 1st, not 1st february.

Zombie Sammael
01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
So when someone asks you the date, you say 20th January? Or 20th of january? That just sounds so weird to say it that way. It's january 20th or january the 20th. I was born on february 1st, not 1st february.

It's the 20th of January when speaking. When I'm transcribing, I remove "the" and "of" (if I can be bothered).

Davian93
01-20-2012, 09:16 AM
It's the 20th of January when speaking. When I'm transcribing, I remove "the" and "of" (if I can be bothered).

And they wonder why they needed our help to beat the Germans...

GonzoTheGreat
01-20-2012, 09:19 AM
So when someone asks you the date, you say 20th January? Or 20th of january? That just sounds so weird to say it that way. It's january 20th or january the 20th.
In Dutch, we simply say "20 januari". Not even with that silly "y" which got stuck on the end in English for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Sei'taer
01-20-2012, 09:19 AM

No shit. Fuckers can't even talk good.

Zombie Sammael
01-20-2012, 09:33 AM

I think it was the Russians who actually beat the Germans.

GonzoTheGreat
01-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Well, yes, but as Stalin hoped, if a lie is repeated often enough, it may become the truth. Or seem like it, anyway, for those who don't know better.

Davian93
01-20-2012, 09:47 AM

They provided a small bit of assistance but even they depended quite heavily on lend/lease for their material needs early in the war.

Tomp
01-20-2012, 09:48 AM

In what company did you serve.

Oh, it was your grandfathers generation, I see.

Yellowbeard
01-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Along the lines of the stuff Sei'Taer has mentioned...

I designed water and sewer pipeline relocations for metric VA DOT projects when they were trying to switch to metric for state DOT jobs. It was quite fun putting together drawings that showed various things in metric when their governing AWWA standards were all in Imperial. And dealing with manufacturers that only have molds to make things in Imperial. And dealing with utilities that only have facilities that are sized by Imperial. Those guys (utilities and suppliers) just couldn't understand 25.4 mm/in.

There was an interchange project where the bridge girders were designed in metric. The fabricator converted the dimensions to Imperial for making the girders. And screwed up 25.4 mm/in. And so did the VDOT construction engineers that reviewed the shop drawings.

Hence, the girders got to the site, and nobody bothered to check them. And then they were shocked when the girders didn't fit when they tried to lower them into place. Lots of shit hit the fan in the days that followed!! Glad I didn't have anything to do with it!

Set the project back by something like 8 months to get new girders fabricated because the original fabricator went out of business.

In America, metric really is more trouble than it's worth.