PDA

View Full Version : Chris Hedges sues Obama over NDAA

Terez
01-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Does RT have a liberal slant? I dunno...

http://rt.com/usa/news/obama-hedges-ndaa-sued-933/

I like Chris Hedges. (You can read his blog on the subject here (http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/why_im_suing_barack_obama_20120116/).) I have read a few of his books. He doesn't like Obama and never has, thinking him to be a conservative in disguise, so this doesn't surprise me much. Hedges seems to think that the offensive bit of the NDAA (indefinite detention for American citizens) was inspired by the OWS protests. He might be right.

Davian93
01-16-2012, 07:07 PM
I have real trouble voting for Obama again thanks to NDAA.

The only problem is that the other option (romney most likely) is far, far worse.

Terez
01-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I think a lot of people are in the same spot. I just have to wonder what he was thinking. It's so contrary to his own beliefs, it seems there must be an explanation lurking somewhere.

frenchie
01-16-2012, 07:51 PM
I have real trouble voting for Obama again thanks to NDAA.

The only problem is that the other option (romney most likely) is far, far worse.

That is what it has become in our country. When we were kids, we at least had the illusion that our parents were voting for the best of two good canidates. Now we get to vote for the lesser of two evils, regardless of which side of the political spectrum you fall on.

Sei'taer
01-16-2012, 08:01 PM
"PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS..."

Remember when people were saying GWB was going to implement martial law to keep Obama from taking office? This kind of makes me feel like that. It's there for the taking now. I almost wonder if someone got to him and made him change his mind about the veto he promised. Somebody with a lot of money to donate to his campaign maybe?

I love looking at the conspiracy websites when stuff like this happens. It's like the dems and reps have switched places and say the same things. It's hilarious.

Davian93
01-16-2012, 08:05 PM
You see, the Trade Federation is actually fighting on the orders of Darth Sideous who is also the Chancellor but nobody knows this so in reality, the same guy is in charge of both the Republic and the Rebels and is using it as a distraction while he seizes absolute power.

You know, the plot of the prequels wasnt that bad...the execution, writing and acting just destroyed it though. It could have been a good trilogy.

Terez
01-16-2012, 08:34 PM
"PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS..."

Remember when people were saying GWB was going to implement martial law to keep Obama from taking office? This kind of makes me feel like that. It's there for the taking now. I almost wonder if someone got to him and made him change his mind about the veto he promised. Somebody with a lot of money to donate to his campaign maybe?

I love looking at the conspiracy websites when stuff like this happens. It's like the dems and reps have switched places and say the same things. It's hilarious.I considered that it was campaign money, but that really doesn't make sense. It makes me feel like a nut to even consider it, but I think someone must have threatened his life over this, or his family. I can't make sense of it otherwise without buying into the whole 'Obama is really more evil than anyone believed' line, which just doesn't seem to fit. Word is that Obama requested the language in the first place...which is, again, baffling. And he's issued a signing statement promising to never use those powers himself. Then why would he insist on them in the first place? Why sign the bill at all?? I'm not generally a conspiracy theorist, but reading declassified documents is sometimes hair-raising, and I really can't think of anything else that explains this.

Davian93
01-16-2012, 08:38 PM
It was attached to "must sign" defenese spending legislation that was passed with a veto-proof majority by both the House and Senate. He should have sent it back but it was and is an election year and he cant afford to "cut off the military" in an election year. Even if he decides to never use this power, a future president will because he needs to "defend Democracy" or some crap like that and we will basically become a dictatorship.

Or SCOTUS will strike it down.

He basically wimped out IMHO.

Sinistrum
01-16-2012, 08:45 PM
You know, the plot of the prequels wasnt that bad...the execution, writing and acting just destroyed it though. It could have been a good trilogy.

I kind of liked the political intrigue aspects of it. The Emperor could have been a fairly scary villain if not for the fact that he was surrounded by a bunch of cartoon charicatures as opponents and lackeys.

Terez
01-16-2012, 08:45 PM
I was going to ask why he was the one to request the language in the first place, but I did some more digging, and it seems that has been refuted pretty thoroughly since I last looked into it.

Davian93
01-16-2012, 08:46 PM
I kind of liked the political intrigue aspects of it. The Emperor could have been a fairly scary villain if not for the fact that he was surrounded by a bunch of cartoon charicatures as opponents and lackeys.

The Emperor is the only good thing in any of the prequels. He's just so amazingly evil and fun...and he's the only one having a good time.

Sei'taer
01-16-2012, 08:52 PM
It was attached to "must sign" defenese spending legislation that was passed with a veto-proof majority by both the House and Senate. He should have sent it back but it was and is an election year and he cant afford to "cut off the military" in an election year. Even if he decides to never use this power, a future president will because he needs to "defend Democracy" or some crap like that and we will basically become a dictatorship.

Or SCOTUS will strike it down.

He basically wimped out IMHO.

I don't think he wimped out. I think someone got to him. Just my opinion and I usually scoff at conspiracy shit and make fun of it as much as possible (you remember how I handled the phone tapping thing a few uears ago. That's one of the discussions that really pissed off Callie. It was a wanking joke, if I remember correctly), but this really bothers me.

Davian93
01-16-2012, 08:55 PM
I don't think he wimped out. I think someone got to him. Just my opinion and I usually scoff at conspiracy shit and make fun of it as much as possible (you remember how I handled the phone tapping thing a few uears ago. That's one of the discussions that really pissed off Callie. It was a wanking joke, if I remember correctly), but this really bothers me.

It really bothers me too...like I said, I dont know that I can vote for him at this point.

Terez
01-16-2012, 08:59 PM
I don't think he wimped out. I think someone got to him. Just my opinion and I usually scoff at conspiracy shit and make fun of it as much as possible (you remember how I handled the phone tapping thing a few uears ago. That's one of the discussions that really pissed off Callie. It was a wanking joke, if I remember correctly), but this really bothers me.I think that's when I told you that you were my hero, wasn't it? I still considered myself to be a Republican at the time. I remember that much.

AbbeyRoad
01-16-2012, 09:15 PM
The Emperor is the only good thing in any of the prequels. He's just so amazingly evil and fun...and he's the only one having a good time.
He's the only character in the prequels who shows any real emotion at all besides Anakin, who only broods.

I wished I liked anything as much as that dude loved just being evil. Kind of makes you root for the guy; he knows what he wants and goes and gets it.

frenchie
01-16-2012, 09:40 PM
He's the only character in the prequels who shows any real emotion at all besides Anakin, who only broods.

I wished I liked anything as much as that dude loved just being evil. Kind of makes you root for the guy; he knows what he wants and goes and gets it.

I think that the Emperor is the best part of the PT. I loved him in the Phantom Menace best, as you can see the evil just screaming to come out. And for the OT, his dialog with Luke is the best part of RoTJ.

Frenzy
01-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Wait, Obama's really a conservative, and Romney's really a liberal? What, is Ron Paul really a sheep?

</Mulan>

Terez
01-16-2012, 10:54 PM
I wonder if the Huntsman smear had anything to do with why he dropped out. That's pretty embarrassing. And his campaign didn't even bother to be slick about it. Huntsman and Paul are sort of competing for the same group of voters—that is, the ones who would like to be a little bit less aggressive militarily, etc.

Davian93
01-17-2012, 07:38 AM
I wonder if the Huntsman smear had anything to do with why he dropped out. That's pretty embarrassing. And his campaign didn't even bother to be slick about it. Huntsman and Paul are sort of competing for the same group of voters—that is, the ones who would like to be a little bit less aggressive militarily, etc.

Smear? More like he was finally outed as the official "Manchurian" Candidate.

Terez
01-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Smear? More like he was finally outed as the official "Manchurian" Candidate.I meant the fact that the ad was apparently made by his own campaign, rather than Ron Paul's campaign. So he was attempting to smear Ron Paul.